R.L. StevensMisleading Advertising Scam

J

RL Stevens posted a job advertisement on Career Builder for a "HR Manager/Corporate Trainer". I thought that it was kinda werid that the job posting didnt include much information about the job but I applied anyway. A few days later, I received a call to set up a in person interview with "John Smith" in the Columbus, Ohio office. I asked the lady scheduling the interview if she could share more information about the job such as the industry or company that the positon was open for. She indicated that John would share the details with me at the interview. I went to the interview and filled out the application, working in HR I knew the application was not legit b/c it asked questions about my age, marital status, if I had children etc. One of the first questions that John asked me was "how old are you?" and then proceeded to insult my resume. I knew something wasn't right, but I spoke with "John" further and he asked me if I knew what the company was, I said a "recruitment agency" that works with employers. He said I that I was wrong, and proceed to tell me that there was NO job opening as adverstied and that they offer "fee for service" agreements with unemployed people to help them find jobs. I then informed "John" that if I had known there was no job available, then I wouldn't have never have gone to the "interview". After 20 minutes of talking to "John", I was livid and felt that this was a scam. I went home looked "RL Stevens" up on the internet and found countless articles about their scams.

• Sc
    scotth Mar 11, 2010

I saw a posting on career builder about RL Stevens. It was pretty clear to me when I read it that they where not a recruiter working for companies. The posting said something about that they work with their clients until they find the right fit career opportunity. Unless you saw something different, I don't know how someone can think that they were a recruiter, unless you don't have any idea how recruiters work.

Every posting I 've seen from this company clearly says the same thing. It says they charge a fee and work for the job seeker. I wish all companies made it this clear. Most people think recruiters are working for them, but they are working for the employer

I filled out a sheet when I went in there as well. It was clearly NOT an application, but a questionnaire. Someone in HR should know the difference.

I found them to be very professional. They reworked my resume to show how I could help the target companies, did research to figure out where my skills where most marketable, helped me prepare for each interview. I got 3 job offers, all at a higher salary than before. If this is a scam, I hope they keep scamming me.

Johnsmith Isafraud Mar 22, 2010

The post from scotth is obviously from a "John Smith" at RL Stevens. They DO NOT represent themselves clearly when they set up the interview. I'm a professional writer by trade, and that is one dandy marketing comment; it reads just like something off their website.

Scotth, if you're so satisfied, why not disclose how much money you paid them? Who at RL Stevens did you work with? Three job offers, really? Wow. That was one dynamite Job coach you must have worked with. Nobody is stupid enough to believe you are actually going to take time (especially with those 3 job offers you're having to juggle) to PRAISE this company on a COMPLAINT site unless you have something to protect.

Folks: THIS IS A SCAM, and I was almost taken as well. I was to have interviewed with "John Smith" this month, but I didn't go after reading these posts and their BBB reports.

Thanks to all those who have posted comments about this lousy practice. It would be different if I sought out professional help, but this is just another group of salesmen preying on those who are hoping at a shot for a legitimate interview.

• Xz
    XZanderX Apr 14, 2010

I had the same experience. Except that in my case there was a lot of butter on the bread. In fact, walking gingerly with me, they droped the bomb about "fee for service" on second visit. What is funny is that they told me that their goal is to bypass the HR in the hiring company and send me directlt to the top gun! My recommendation is to stay awy from the sam they are running.
    There is a chance that they may have been a ligit outfit during the hay days of hiring, but not anymore. Just don't be fooled by there fancy offices and fancy talks. Some poor folks are paying for it with no results.

• Sp
    speakup423 Apr 15, 2010

The people at RL Stevens try to act like their marketing scheme is okay. They try to make the person who fell for their trick feel foolish and stupid, like they should have known that their company is not a recruiter with an actual job. This is totally absurd! It is very easy to fall for their trick and they know that - that's why they do it. Anyone who works for this company should be ashamed of themself, especially the owner who keeps this marketing scheme going.

• St
    stay out of indy May 02, 2010

I was a believing consumer and I was mistaken in my belief. I strongly advise anyone considering signing as contract wiht RL Stevens to carefully consider what you are paying for before you sign. Have your own legal representaion look at the documents as RL will will not hesitate to have there lawyers look at what you signed. If it at all feels fishy, back out, you have three days to do so. Also, DO NOT sign off on any services, no matter how much they say "we need you to sign this so we can get paid" if you do not feel you have received all that you are contractually entitled to. By all, I mean ALL, launch or not. Once the three day window has closed, all the money you paid is gone no matter how poorly RL performs from that point forward. Please head my warning and sign with extreme caution.

NotStupidHRMgr May 17, 2010

I nearly fell for an interview as well and cancelled at the last minute after seeing all these complaint posts and BBB commentary...where the heck are the state atty generals on this????? It's tantamount to bait and switch!

MadInIndy May 28, 2010

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of going with them. On one hand, they offered some good services upfront, but mostly what I could have done on my own. They do nothing to help you find open positions - you're on your own. Severe disappointment and terrible lesson learned ($$$$$)!!!

• In
    indymortgagecoach Sep 15, 2010

I have - now had - an appointment with them in Indianapolis this afternoon. After a little research I will keep searching on my own and avoid RL Stevens. Three or four BBB complaints - all resolved, but complaints filed none the less in the last 3 years. Where there is smoke there's fire. I have no problem with recruiters. I would even pay for a recruiter's services, but only when they have some 'skin in the game' and are paid - or incented - when I actually find a new job.

• Ab
    A.B.S. Dec 02, 2010

Thanks you all. I am to have a meeting with them tomorrow which would make a 90 min. drive for me. I ran this past my father who is an attorney, he ran the red flag up my pole on this and thought it was a scam, said to research it more etc. Here I am, seems to be the consensus. I'll be callin that meeting off. FU RL!!! Ha! Appreciate the posts.
    A.B.S.
    Bloomington IN

• Do
    dot52 Dec 08, 2014

I cant believe this company is still in service!!. They had an office about 20 some years ago in Pennsylvania. Do not use this company they don't find people jobs and they lie about what they will do for you! And they will say they don't refund money !! They are A scam!!