Rite Aid Corporationautistic son harassed by store employee

Je Oct 31, 2019 Review updated:

Me and my family will not be coming back to this location. We came here today and the "security" guy harassed our 16 year old autistic son. He had a water bottle in his nap sack that he took out to take a drink and the security guy accused him of stealing! What the heck? First of all how dare you speak to our son in that way. Did you find anything on him that you say he stole?? Nope. No apology either. No explanation. Even when I asked you what the issue was you would not explain your reasons why you questioned my son and told him to open his bag. All you said was he put something in his bag. Did you find anything while you searched him?? Even after you found nothing you did not even give him an explanation of why you made a scene and searched him. You could have explained why. Instead of just staring down at him and making him feel so ashamed and embarrassed. What if he ran because he didn't understand and thought you were trying to take his knapsack? You never introduced yourself, especially as a store employee. If he would have ran, then what? You would tackled him! Then what?? All because you didn't say what you were doing or why you were doing it! I understand people steal but when you are wrong you should apologize. Learn to communicate. We are not coming back. Your not getting our business anymore. And I will gladly let everyone know how you treated a customer. You did not need to make my son feel like he had did something wrong. Learn customer service. I hope your corporate reads this. I would love to speak with them. If they don't, shame on them too. I think you owe our son an apology letter explaining how sorry you are this happened to him, and that he did nothing wrong

• Updated by Jennnnj · Oct 31, 2019

Last time I checked, General meant "affecting or concerning all or most people, places, or things; widespread." So even if Rita Aid doesn't read this, I want everyone to know how they treated my son. You must be so unhappy with your life to be name calling someone that is advocating for their child. STFU

• Updated by Jennnnj · Nov 04, 2019

I will continue to have this website block you and remove you if you post pretending you are me. Why are you trolling this website, when people are trying to get situations resolved? Get a life

Comments

•   Oct 31, 2019

Autistic is a blanket diagnoses meaning anywhere from nonverbal to Asperger's (haha Trump!). So you just saying autistic means literally nothing to the general public.

Meanwhile, how much do we think he can really do by himself if his mother doesn't even know the difference between a nap and a knapsack (welcome to 1970!)... So you are really advocating for parent castration.

I seem to have to write this at least every day in this site... Disabled people and their families should not be allowed to use their disability as a get out of jail free card. It isn't.

If your son is not able to tell his simple situation to a security guard or store employee then how do you or anyone expect him to become a professional and be able to fend for himself once an adult? If he's THIS bad, he should not be allowed out of your sight.

Nov 04, 2019

@Um is not an answer! We are not using his autism diagnosis as a get out of jail free card. When they searched him, they did not find anything on him. I feel sorry for you. You must not have family or parents that would stick up for you. You know nothing of our situation, so your comments have no meaning.

•   Nov 05, 2019

@Jennnnj You didn't say a thing about how autistic your son is. Whether he just quacks his hands, is Asperger's (which I don't think belongs within the spectrum) or non verbal. Well, if you insist he be allowed out alone you have to take special care that he behaves normally in public so that this crap doesn't keep happening.

Spectrum is a word we use in the professional setting, BTW! Haha!

Nov 06, 2019

@Um is not an answer! You are all missing the point of this complaint. The employee never explained what he was doing or why he felt he needed to search him. My son is far more intelligent than you. High functioning, just has a difficult time finding the right words. This complaint is how he treated him unfairly, whether he has autism or not. He should not have treated anyone that way. I will be meeting with their Regional manager as well as their store manager to address this. THEY admitted the employee did wrong. So stop talking down about people with autism. Stop trying to bring others down to your level.

Nov 06, 2019

@Fedfjarre Who said he needs a babysitter. Maybe you don't understand simple things

•   Nov 06, 2019

@Jennnnj How do YOU know the employee didn't explain? You weren't there. You are going by your son's (with all due respect) warped version. Autistic people rarely see things as how they really happened.

•   Nov 06, 2019

@Jennnnj So now you say he's highly functioning yet you still don't say what all the other autism parents say which is SPECTRUM!!!

•   Nov 07, 2019

@Jennnnj No one here is talking down about autism. I'm taking realistically. There's a reason why most autistic children get one to one paraprofessionals.

Do you even know who Avonte Oquendo was?????

• Ca
      Nov 09, 2019

@Um is not an answer! You are only showing your ignorance . My son is autistic does not speak . I was at my college and the cop did not apologize to me so . Police if you see a boy or girl non verbal or anything like that think before you do . You have to introduce yourself to them and not just do . How stupid can you be . Apparently real stupid

•   Nov 09, 2019

@Carla Ashley Really? I work with autistic students and their abilities vary greatly. Non verbal to Asperger's (like Trump). This kid was not non verbal but doing 'autistic' behaviors save from duck hands. He lacked the ability to explain his water bottle senario to the questioning people. That's another problem.

1: doing squirlly things thinking they are perfectly normal.
    2: not saying :this came from my bag (him saying "it's not cold like in your coolers" also adds to their reaction.

Meanwhile. Your son sure is smarter than you. You have misspellings all over the place. The raising one I had to retype twice because AUTOCORRECT kept on fixing it!!!

• Ca
      Nov 09, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Trump done the right thing and I feel sorry for that kid because nonverbal they cannot speak for themselves . So the ones that cannot need the help but they are extremely smart.

•   Nov 09, 2019

@Carla Anne I don't know what you are trying to say, yourself. Trump has Asperger's.

This kid is not non verbal but still should not be allowed out alone. Some autistic people will never be okay enough to go out alone. The things they do are too weird by non autism standards and would be arrestable if a non autistic person did it in public. The autistic don't see the public.

• Rf
      Nov 12, 2019

@Carla Anne that is what I think Carla

• Rf
      Nov 13, 2019

@Fedfjarre without sounding prejudiced I agree with fedfjarre. If you weren't there how can you really know?

•   Nov 13, 2019

@R Forbes You aren't sounding prejudiced at all. 😀 You really /can't/ take an autistic child's word for it because of how distant their minds are from reality.
    Even the high functioning ones. Through no fault of their own they will not relay the truth.

Nov 04, 2019

I do hate my son sometimes he can be an idiot.

•   Nov 05, 2019

Now this buchiach has TWO imposters!!!🤣

@Um is not an answer! GET A LIFE LOSER

•   Nov 05, 2019

@Jennnnj Realize that the universe does not revolve around you!!!

The world does not get memos about who has disabilities. The work for those with disabilities is to help them adapt as much as possible into a world might not be as accommodating as necessary for disability people.

Nov 05, 2019

@Fedfjarre Does the profile name match mine? Or is it similar? get your eyes checked

Nov 05, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Are you confused? Do you not see what I am trying to bring awareness about people with autism or any type of disability. I never said that the world revolved around me. ITS NOT ABOUT ME. Its about awareness and treating EVERYONE with respect and decency. I know this world is not perfect. I am just trying to get awareness out there.

•   Nov 05, 2019

@Jennnnj It's never about you!!!

Meanwhile I have said REPEATEDLY that autism is now a blanket diagnoses whereas there are many levels of the spectrum, hence the name SPECTRUM. The abilities and quirks vary greatly.

You want to bring awareness, I want to educate parents who continue to advocate for their children when they push their children into society like this.

It's as if you are creating these situations just to bait people.

•   Nov 05, 2019

@Jennnnj Are YOU confused??? Can YOU read???

Don't think so!

I told you that this site allows you to copycat a poster handle as long as the email address is different. I'm not saying I agree with it but it is the God's honest truth.

Nov 05, 2019

@Um is not an answer! thank you.

Nov 05, 2019

@Um is not an answer! You don't need to educate me, thank you. I am very well educated about this

@Jennnnj Obviously not. You have proven that

Nov 05, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Have a good day

•   Nov 05, 2019

@Jennnnj You are legit ridiculous and batshit crazy if you think your behavior on here today models respect.

Nov 05, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Thank you! Have a good one!

Nov 05, 2019

Regardless of being autistic or not, you are all missing the point. Security can't just accuse someone of theft without proof. Asfor Jennnnnj I would contact them directly as this is not a Rite Aid website but a website for various complaints and have them take action to prevent him from doing this again. If they don't contact a lawyer to make sure that they do take action from security. Even if your son did steal something they are not allowed to stop him until after he leaves the store. Him being a minor they are not even allowed to search his bag without your permission.

•   Nov 05, 2019

@ mark henderson They accused me if theft when my backpack set off the alarm. I allowed them to check everything even though I had a VERY ROUGH morning (I had had a bathroom accident and needed some things to take care of it) even with crap in my pants I was made to stay aside and let the rentacop go through my things and see the baby wipes and emergency undies.

It's about being able to explain yourself, not about bringing awareness. Good God every day we are made aware of all sorts of nonsense!!!

Nov 05, 2019

@ mark henderson thank you. I do know this isn't a Rite Aid Website. I had already emailed corp. I just saw this Complaint board so i wanted to just make it aware what happened. Thank you