Riddle & Assoc (aka Riddle/Wood)Harrassing phone calls

A

This company calls me day or night with automated message asking for "Christina" to pay a debt. They have the wrong house and won't stop. Research on the web shows they don't stop for anyone. It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

Please tell me how I can get them to cease and desist. And let me know how if can take action against them. Someone should do something.

Chris

• Ol
    olesam81 Sep 24, 2010

This firm has also been calling non-stop for my 89 year old mother who is bedridden and has alzhiemers. This is for a Direct TV amount of $ 361.25. We had bad service for weeks on my mother's tv, and the technician came out and "rigged" it to work. After numerous weeks, we cancelled service, and sent back the boxes.

About two weeks after that, my mother's Mastercard was charged the $ 361.25. When we asked Direct TV about this, they said it was for "breaking" our contract.

It really doesn't matter to us if it gets paid or not, as we don't care about anything on our mother's credit report.

nobodytocomplwith Jul 26, 2010

These people are ruthess and are abusive in collection debts that do not even exist. Period. I have reported them to the AG offices of both colorado and utah, as well as the BBB in Utah, as well as contacted www.fairdebthelpers.com and collectionabuse.com

• Ki
    kittypat59 May 21, 2010

I just received a call from Riddle & Wood, saying I owed some kind of debt, he said it was for a mastercard I don't remember having. He was EXTREMELY RUDE AND NASTY to my husband, who asked his name...At first, he would not even give his name(that should have thrown up red flags)...I am going to send them a return receipt letter asking for proof of this debt(we lost our home in a foreclosure scam in 2008) and are still mourning the lost of our home...There is alot of complaints against this company so keep reading...
    Thanks for all your blogs, we are confident that a letter from us outling the FAIR DEBT ACT COLLECTIONS PRACTICES that we will not hear from them again...

• Jc
    jcsg123 May 17, 2010

i just called these people today may 17th 2010 at 1:46 pm eastern and i spoke too someone about these calls and told him i wasn not who they wanted and he seems very understanding and nice and told me the calls would stop in a matter of 4 hours. we will see soon enough.

• Kd
    kdinsmoor Mar 23, 2010

I've been getting calls from this company and the employees were very unprofessional. They are dealing with people's money, credit scores, and important factors which effect our lives. Is it too much to ask a question or two? The answer is yes with Riddle & Wood. They said I had a debt to collect with Columbia House but I've never done business with Columbia House so I asked what it was for. All they tell you is that the collection has been passed to them and they don't have any information on your account. How do they expect you to feel comfortable giving money to someone over the phone when you don't know who they are, don't know what you owe them money for, and have no way to tell if it's a scam or not? I've asked simple questions, been hung up on, and when I call back to speak with a manager they say there isn't one. I'm furious. I paid the claim and am trying to dispute it afterward since I just wanted them off my back and it's just as difficult. It's just not right.

• Wb
    Wbragg Mar 22, 2010

I keep getting calls, at least once a week, from Riddle and Wood, for a Laurie Frasier. Apparently I was told in the past by other collection agencies who call my number she has a law suit against her.

I tried to explain to the guy at Riddle and Wood the case and he was very rude to me. Would not even admit that they called my number. He also interrupted me repeatedly and was cocky. I'm probably old enough to be his dad.
    I said look here son. Don't interrupt me when I'm talking. I had to call back to talk to someone else and the fella turned out to be very nice and helped me. they took my number out of their system.

Unfortunately, it's the individual who is acting rude and not the company. But most people at collection agencies are unfortunately rude people.

• Pa
    pamela levis knee Feb 25, 2010

riddle and wood calls me everyday saying i owe capital one five hundred dollars, ive called capital one, they have no information on me, riddle and wood wanted me to send posted dated checks to settle the debt, ive asked them for confimation of the debt, have yet to resieve anything they even gave me an acct number, and told me to make the checks out to justin long, and send the payments to a postoffice box in sandy lake ut. i have not paid this debt and refuse to do so until i have proof that i owe.

• Am
    Ampatriot Feb 23, 2010

My minor daughter keeps getting calls on her cell phone for some guy named "Rob" or something though I have repeatedly gotten on the phone when they call her, and I have called their 800 number and have talked to supervisor after supervisor. Today was the last straw. I filed a complaint on the FTC website.

• Tb
    T. B. Feb 22, 2010

My parents are having the same problem with Riddle/Woods. The call them all the time about a book my parents never bought and don't even have a clue about. They say my parents bought it at a book party at the Elm's Resort in MO. My parents never attended a book party, and they certainly didn't buy a book. Riddle/Woods say this purchase was made in the 1990's, but this is the first my parents have heard about it...but Riddle/Woods is making up for lost time...they call them and harass them about 2-3 times per week and even on Sundays. This sounds like a scam to me and after reading all the other complaints on this site and others, something needs to be done!

• Le
    L. E Feb 21, 2010

Today is Sunday, OMG these people called at 8:10 am, on a Sunday for Pete's sake. It came accross as an unknown caller. Because I have family abroad and out of state, it could have been an emergency call, so I answered. I get the auto dialer "voice message". Stating "we have tried contactng many times without response"... hmmm if they never leave a voice message and generally I don't answer unidentified calls (nephew been in hospital ONLY reason today it was picked up) we have never received any mail from these people and no message so I have no idea what they are trying to collect on. I can tell you this, I have tons of UNKNOWN CALLER on my caller ID and from what I have read here it is probably them. They don't have the courtesy to leave any message and they hide their identity behind UNKNOWN CALLER, they wont responded to. I am so angry they called me and woke me up 40 minutes before my alarm, is just wrong. Arent' there rules about calling times. I believ 8:55 pm and certainly before 9 am is not appropriate. Isn't there also some rule about amount of calls, at what point is it "by law" harrassment? Everyone that has posted has enlightened me. I will be contacting FTC, BBB and Attorney General MONDAY at an appropriate time of the morning.

• Va
    valleygirl75 Feb 18, 2010

Jesse L. Riddle and David G. Wood are attorneys active with the Utah State Bar. My suggestion, go to the Utah State Bar website and make an ethical complaint against these two "gentlemen". An ethical review will put them out of business faster than any lawsuit!! It's your right to be able to make such a complaint, lawyers are supposed to be held to a high ethical standard & it sounds like these two are not living up to it!

• Xr
    XrmyChick Feb 15, 2010

Guys, these folks are violating federal law. They cannot harass you, they cannot threaten you, they cannot verbally abuse you. Next time you receive a call from them, let them know that. Let them know that you will send them a certified letter telling them they must only communicate with you in writing. DO NOT ADMIT TO OWING ANYTHING! If it is legal in your state, RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS. Then sue the ###. You can, technically be awarded up to $1000 for each infraction, although industry standard is $3500 for the overall lawsuit. You can do this without a lawyer, but if you're not schooled in how to do this yourself, it's best to get with one. They'll get paid when a judgement is issued against the debt collectors. ALSO, check your state for the statute of limitations on your debt

YOU CAN DO THIS! Do NOT be intimidated by these people. Make THEM bend over for a change, hey?

• Ri
    Riddlethis! Jan 26, 2010

I just received a call from Nicholas White at Riddle & Wood. I told him that I was not who he's looking for and asked him for his name. He stated "why would you need that if you don't know Mr. M". I said to I can report you if you call me again. He very rudely told me that if I had listened to him, he took my number off the system and I won't get any more calls. You bet I won't. After reading all the notes above I went to the BBB in Utah and got the contact information for the company. If I get another call like this one, and judging from the previous posts I will. I'm going to follow Mandy's advise and send a letter to the company. The BBB gives their full address and phone numbers. If that fails, the FTC is next. Thank you to every one who's posted here, so that it makes it a little easier for the rest.

BBB in Utah:

FTC:
    Toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP [protected])

• Ri
    riddlewoodprotest Jan 22, 2010

Thank God for 800 reverse look up. It took me a few different sites to find them but I came across this one. I thought I was the only one to be honest. These "guys" have been calling me since September. They even call me on SUNDAY!!! I get the hang ups. I also get the guys that scream at me. You owe this and are responsible. We WILL collect. This is your very last warning. I would say I want to speak to your supervisor because you will not continue to speak to me this way. They have threatened me with court, credit scores, garnishment of my possessions, jail and etc. I had DirectTV 6 years ago or so. I even filed bankruptcy. WTF? I called the FTC and they took a complaint today. They also sent me an email. Because I did get ONE nice man who treated me like a human being I made the mistake of paying something on the bill. I didn't realize it was one that was covered in my Bankruptcy. Now for this the FTC suggests that I close my checking account that I have had for over 8 years and open a new one. This is just not FAIR. My banking institution is filing a protection against my account making sure they do not take out any unauthorized money in the future. They are excellent at browbeating. Mr. Douglas even asked me if I had recorded the last conversation because they do record them. I informed him perhaps he should pull it up and have a listen. I demanded a supervisor he replied No you are dealing with me now. I gave the phone to my husband because I was about to crack. There has to be more that can be done to stop them. How do they even HAVE direct tv's billing information anyway? Did direct tv tell anyone how this company became it's collection agency? The quote "I work for the lawyers is CRAP" Any information would be much appreciated here. Thanks

• Ho
    howdidtheygetmynumber Jan 07, 2010

Here is some info on them:

They've called my house # twice in two days asking for my ex on my voice mail. I've been divorced for 10 years and have a different name!!!

• Te
    Texas, H Jan 04, 2010

I returned the phone call from Riddle and Wood. The representative would not give me the mailing address or fax number to show them that collection efforts for Direct TV had been discontinued. Instead, my call was transferred to a voice message.

I am filing a complaint with the FTC.

• Do
    DONNA S. HOSTETLER Dec 22, 2009

after being hung up on repeatedly, being harassed on sunday evening at 5:10pm this last weekend, i called the FTC. they are filing a complaint, gave me a reference number, and are sending me mail. they also suggested i file with my state's consumer complaints association [protected]) and i am doing so as i type. this call was in regard to my EX husband's bills, we have been divorced over 6 years now. i dont really have contact with him, but it appears, as though it is an issue between him and direct tv (noticed the theme in above responses too) i am tired of this crap, just because MY last name is the same and MY phone is listed (his isnt) I WILL NOT STOP TILL THIS CRAP DOES! I AM SENDING THEM A CERTIFIED LETTER THEY HAVE TO SIGN FOR AND TELLING THEM HE IS NOT AT THIS ADDRESS AND A LETTER FROM MY LANDLORD STATING SUCH FACT. IF THEY CONTINUE, I WILL DO MY BEST TO RETAIN A LAWYER AND MAKE SURE THESE ### STOP HARASSING PEOPLE... CAN YOU SAY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT????

chas1 Dec 02, 2009

Absolutely the most unprofessional organization I have ever dealt with. They call my cell constantly for the previous person who had the number. I have asked 7 times to be removed from their call list, each time they state they will and then they call again. They played games pretending to find wallets, etc. all in an attempt to find a person that I have no contact with. Today after being hung up on by 2 different associates, I was referred to the manager: JOE CONNER at extension 7392. I suggest you call him first.

Maisha Nov 17, 2009

I feel so much better now that I've read these complaints. Our phone calls started about 2 months ago about an old DirectTV bill that had been satisfied with DirecTv and closed. Its not even on my credit report. Their "schtick" is that they talk fast, they throw the very few, and often incorrect, facts that they have about you in your face and don't let you get a word in edgewise. They do not want to hear you speak. The scam (which I'm sure it is, and I'm sure most of you are convinced that it is too) is that they get you all upset talking about lawsuits and credit scores going down that if you don't absolutely 100% take care of this bill right now, it'll ruin your life FOREVER. They make it dramatic and mortal. Their ultimate goal is for you to give them SOME piece of financial information over the phone so that they can then go screw you over for good. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANYTHING. Every time they call, I laugh, tell them I'm not doing anything. They actually told me that I had a hearing coming up. I never got served with papers, so I wasn't taking him serious. These people will tell you anything to get the information from you and they are extremely rude and unprofessional and how they think anybody would take them seriously, I don't know. Laugh at them, that's all you can do. If anyone has their address, I would love to write them a letter. Something nice, and thoughtful, along with telling them to cease and desist. Please send it along. Thanks!

• Na
    Navine Nov 12, 2009

I just receive a call from this Riddle & Assoc (aka Riddle/Wood) saying that owe $57.00 and I spoke to Mr. Jet. This person is a complete idiot the way he talks to people. This fool will not give me a change to ask for proof of the money that I owe. They had the wrong address for me in Florida because I live in TX. I must day that Mr. Jet is one of these people are ### the company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company this company is very rude and not professional at all!It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

Mandy B. Nov 06, 2009

I have been receiving calls on my cell phone for a debt? I gave them my name and number to confirm that I don’t owe them. They confirmed a month ago I was the wrong person and that they would remove my number. Surprise they didn’t. I answered a blocked call today to only get the rudest person ever I told them what was going on to stop calling me, he hung up on me. I called four more times to get another person to only get hung up on again.
    I called the Federal Trade Commission [protected] the gentleman was very helpful. He told me to send a letter to the “law firm” stating the complaint. He told me it had to say cease communication on it and to signature mail it to them.

Call our toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP [protected])

Mandy

• Kz
    kzietlow Oct 30, 2009

these people are ### company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company this company is very rude and not professional at all!It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

• Kn
    knyjr3 Oct 24, 2009

rex1942,
    These people called for my husband and i pushed 0 and the office was closed. after reading all i am about this company i'm not givng them anything.i'm a collector myself and a company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.threatening you is against the law.you can contact the attorney general and file a report with them. a company like that wont do anything most likely this i such a old debt that it is already on your credit reprt and out of stats s nothing can happen to you.these people are ### with empty threats.dont let them bother you. get a fax # and write them a ceist and deseist letter and make yur self a copy. hopes this helps a little.

• Re
    rex1942 Oct 24, 2009

I now receive a DAILY(!) phone message (from an unidentified caller ID) from someone claiming to represent the law firm of Riddle and Wood. They claim to be collecting a debt and ask me to call them at [protected] about reference number '[protected]'. They provide a recorded name at the start of the message which is NOT mine and then - at the end of the recorded message - have the temerity (and illogic) to ask me to stop listening if I am not the same as the recorded message. This last phrase is, of course, meaningless, because their poorly programmed auto-dialer has no way of knowing this information.
    The whole thing feels like a high-school fraud so I do not feel comfortable about calling them. When I see others in the same position, I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal.
    Any hope of getting them to stop calling?

• Rk
    rk l Sep 16, 2009

These people are driving me crazy. One man told me it was my funeral. I dont know what to do.

• Pw
    P. Williams2 Sep 03, 2009

i had direct tv for 3 months thru qwest communications and when they didn't honor thier $49.99 refund for thier dvr, i cancelled d-tv thru qwest and got comcast. Three months later i got a bill directly from direct tv for 2 months of service. i disputed it, called and had qwest fax them the proof that i had cancelled and paid my bill in full. this was in 2006, i started getting rude and threatening phone calls from riddle assoc. about 3 months ago, i tried to explain but they were not hearing me. today i look on my credit report and there it is, dropped my score 32 points. what can i do? help please. i'm on disability and can't afford to pay this again.

• To
    toxickachina Aug 20, 2009

These people have been calling my house non stop for weeks now, and when I finally spoke with someone, I told them that they needed to speak with my lawyer. The person on the other end of the phone said, "No no no! I'm speakin' wit u! Ain't no lawyer gonna help you now." So I promptly hung up. The person called back 4 more times in 5 min!!! I work for a lawyer, and these people my friends, do not run a law firm. Don't pay them a dime!!!

• Jc
    jcookagio Jul 21, 2009

My husband and I had a credit card go to collections...bad times!!! Anyway we began making small payments to several different collectors and we received a statement from Riddle Wood Attorneys at Law in PA, or UT ( not exactly sure) stating that we owed a 0 balance. My husband called to verify and a Steve Smith told him that, that couldn't be that there was no way. We asked for a fax number to send the statement to (THEIR) statement to show them that indeed it showed a 0 balance. The next morning I faxed over received confirmation that is was received and thought we would be good. Guess again. About 2 hours later my husband called me very upset and said that, that Steve just called his boss who then beeped my husband and transfered the call. Before my husband had a chance to even speak this Steve guys says "ohhhh I have verified your employment, your screwed now" . My husband tried to get a word in and to set up small arrangements and he just kept saying "YOUR SCREWED". He then calls me and it pisses me off, so I call their office and speak to Steve start off very pleasent and try to get to the bottom of this. Once he realizes that I am the wife of the man he just harrassed he continues in on me. Then ask to speak to his supervisor and he refused and hung up on me. I call back 3 times and try to speak with his supervisor each call speaking to someone different and each time I get hung up on. Tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company. Where do you go or where do you call to get these ### in trouble?

• Al
    alo Jun 10, 2009

omg this company is very rude and not professional at all! NICK from that company insulted me personally a couple of times and when I asked to speak to his supervisor he would not transfer me. I tried to set up payments with them that I could afford and they would not accept it? wtf? really? anyways, if anyone has to deal with these ppl good luck

anthony Apr 13, 2009

They are extremely unreasonable .I had a directtv debt of 100.00 and I was trying to tell them on the phone I paid 50.00 back to directv and I only owe 50.00 and they kept telling me my payment didnt matter because I didnt prove it to them within the 1st 30 days. VERY VERY RUDE COMPANY. THANK GOD DIRECTV TOOK THE ACCOUNT AWAY FROM THEM

sattech Feb 19, 2009

I have gotten phone calls and now this letter from them. They said if I don't respond that means I accept responsibility?? WTF??

And yep you guessed it, no e-mail contact info just snail mail or toll free numbers.

Gold diggers I tell you. There has to be some statue of limitations with them doing this.

• Ra
    Randy Settle Nov 04, 2008

Go online to the Federal Trade commission web site. There is a place to file a comlaint with the FTC. They are using illegal practices to try to collect old debts.

Also go to Clarkhoward.com for more information.

You may be able to file a complaint with your local attorney generals office and there may be a statue of limitations on some old debts.

Hope this helps.