Urban Active Fitness Complaints & Reviews

Urban Active FitnessUnethical Business Practices and Liars

I went to UAF yesterday to sign up for a membership. I asked one question - What if I move? The girl who took me on a tour of the facility went and got a manager. The manager came over to me and told me I would receive a refund prorated based on the date I gave notice. I point blank asked him, "Is this in writing?" He told me "It is written in the contract". The girl who took on the tour, then began to enroll me on the computer, but what concerned me was that she did not give me a copy of the contract to review prior to enrolling me on the computer. She also had my credit card.
I then demanded to see a copy of the contract with the statement the information the manager indicated was in it regarding a refund if I moved. Only then did she provide me with a written copy of the contract, and guess what, no such language about a refund was in the contract. I demanded to see the manager who provided the information to me. At first, the girl said he was in a meeting. I waited for 20 minutes, and when they finally figured out I wasn't leaving, the manager came over to me, and told me the statement would be "written" on the contract. I told him, "That's not what you said to me before. You said the statement was in the contract." I told him he lied to me. He insisted that if he wrote the statement on the contract, the contract would be "good". I'm not stupid. These fitness facilities are known to have clauses in the contract that prohibit any alterations to the contract by writing on the face of the contract. So, if the manager wrote on the face of the contract that I would receive a prorata refund, his doing so, meant nothing, because the typed contract would still prevail over anything he wrote on the contract. Because the manager knew he had been caught in a lie, he became very irate, and basically tossed me out of the gym. Had I not demanded to see a copy of the contract before my credit card was run, I would have no way to get a refund from them after they ran my credit card, and the manager was banking on the credit card being run without my seeing a written contract! It is unethical that I should even have to demand to see a copy of the contract before my credit card is run!
Do not do business with these people. They are liars, have no business ethics, and will tell you anything to get you to sign up. I am not only going to write a letter of complaint to the corporate office, I will also send a complaint to the BBB and the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs.

• Bu
    Buckhead guy Aug 14, 2012

Some thing happens to me... Urban Active Buckhead runs a shaddy biz. Shame!!!

Urban Active FitnessMembership Cancellation

I moved from Omaha, NE in Dec. 2010 due to losing my job. I had to move in with family members in a town nearly 130 miles from Omaha. I submitted a cancellation form to the Urban Active Fitness in Omaha letting them know that I had moved from Omaha due to a job loss and would no longer be needing the gym membership because I was moving too far away to use the gym. I was told by a customer service manager at the gym that my cancellation was approved and being processed. She also told me that I would receive a refund for any debits from my checking account. Not only did I not receive any debits, but the company kept charging me for several months. I contacted my bank to let them know what was happening. The bank requested documentation that the membership had been cancelled; which I provided them. The bank launched an investigation and determined that I should be refunded the money, so the bank refunded me the debits and advised me to cancel the debit card the charges were being submitted to. Paramount Acceptance, the billing company for Urban Active continued to contact me each month stating that I owed a certain amount of money and wanted to know how I would pay for those charges. I explained that the membership had been cancelled and provided them the email documenting the cancellation; however they insisted on placing collections calls to me. I was finally able to resolve this issue after six months of the Urban Active run around. My resolution came after I emailed the company's CEO, Royce Pulliam ([protected]@urbanactive.com) and another company executive, Dwight Conder ([protected]@urbanactive.com). I was never able to get anywhere with the customer service managers, gym general manager, or even by calling the corporate number; however, within a few hours of emailing some of the top company executives I received resolution to this membership cancellation fiasco. Hope this information helps others that might be having the same problem. Anyone else reading this that is currently considering membership with this gym...please think twice!!

Urban Active Fitnessswitch and bait

2 months prior to renewal nicole front desk mgr offered a price for a 18 mo...she said it was good for 4 days...after accepting it ...several days latter a friend was offered a 24 renewal for the same price...when she was questioned she acted like she never heard of it...every week i asked for the same deal..first she ignored it..then she said she would have to email the mgr...which was in the same office...it went on for 5 weeks..finally she said it was in the computer but would not provide a receipt...the next time i was in there i had a guest pass for an airport mgr...she rejected it and sent some big goon from the back office...he cussed and raised hell with this prospective client...little did she know that this person was a mgr at bna airport...these people are a step below a sleazy corner used car dealer' ..dont do business with them

Urban Active FitnessBilling-cancellation

I followed the cancellation as instructed on the forms i was given when I signed up.In February I filled out two cancellations forms with a 20.00 check(10.00 cancellation fee per account)mailed it in via certified mail with a return receipt. I received notice that the company in ky received my forms. In March I was charged for both accounts I spoke with Anthony who said that would be the last time I would get charged and my accounts are scheduled to be cancelled. I was charged again in April for only one account. I called and spoke with the billing manager, Jessica, who states that my account was still active and my husbands account was cancelled. I asked her why mine was not cancelled she said they never received my cancellation form. I told her that was impossible because I mailed both the forms in with the check inside the same envelope. She asked if I has some sort of proof, i said no, she said there was nothing she could do. I asked her if they never received my cancellation form then why did they cash my 20.00 check when it should have been a 10.00 check, Jessica didn't know what to say, just that she couldn't help me. Later that day I tried to call her back but she wasn't available and neither was any other manager.I called again yesterday and spoke with Eric who said no manager was available. I asked him what the status was with my accounts he said that both were active. I told him that my husbands was suppose to be cancelled, Eric said that account was not cancelled because the form was never signed! I know this is false, I asked him if thats true then why did they cash my check? Why didn't they try to call me?Eric couldn't help me so I left a message for Jessica but still have not received a response. Under the memo line on my check i wrote cancellation for and put our account numbers but I cant get ahold of anyone to tell them that.

Urban Active FitnessDishonest Employees

The Employees will LIE TO YOU! Don't go anywhere near these crooks. I visited, already a member, with my girlfriend, and asked if they had a month to month for her. I was told yes and quoted a rate. I asked if I could cancel at any time. I was told yes. Then they said the rate was available only with automatic drafts. I again asked if I could cancel any time. Guess what? YES!!! I signed the 'automatic draft form', only to find out later it was a two year contract which is impossible to cancel. No one at any location cares about the lies, and will only show me what I signed, smugly. I'm sure they are thinking "another sucker".

If you run a business, any business hear this: I have told 300-400 people (so far)this place is bad. I could just as easily be advertizing for thier decent facilities and equipment. I go out of my way to tell prospective "suckers" to RUN FOR THIER LIVES, hand on wallet pocket, to any other gym. What idiot figured out this was a way to run a business? They will probably be gone by the time my pre-paid membership expires. Here's betting every ripped off person will still see those bank drafts after they are gone. Congress, please investigate these people!

Urban Active FitnessStealing and scamming

At very best they're a dishonest and unethical business. However, I would consider some of their actions fraud and stealing. I've been with them for 6 years now. They've recently decided to close down my location. I went to cancel my membership and they tell me they're going to charge me $10 and it will take 2 billing cycles for my cancellation to take affect as per the contract I signed. This is dishonest, because they do not disclose these details when you ask them when you first sign up. If you ask them what happens if you want to cancel they wont tell you, and instead ask you a question back like "Why would you want to cancel", "I don't understand why you'd want to leave" and avoid the question. Thats pretty convenient that you guys leave that out.

The fraud comes in with the several "accidental" charges they make to your account. The charged my girlfriend twice for her first month, and they continued to charge her for her tanning package months after she canceled. They charged me for months after I canceled my trainer, even after I payed the ridiculous cancellation fee. The employees say "there is no direct line to corporate", so getting the situation fixed is almost impossible. After digging around the internet to find a number and leaving messages for a month, they tell you "oh we're sorry, our mistake, we'll refund that". This is fraud, they're stealing money, and they're getting away with it if you don't check your account/credit card.

They use very deceptive, dishonest marketing tactics to get you to pay more money. Everybody there pays a different fee. Some pay $15, some $25, one friend of mine even payed $60. This is all for the same service (no tanning, lockers or anything, just the gym). They won't tell you their rates over the phone, they make you come in. The won't let you cancel over the phone, you have to come in. After threating to cancel your addons or service, THEN they decide to offer you a lower price. It's always "the last day" for the sale when you go to join the gym, sign up for tanning, get a locker, or trainer. They do it just to rush your decision.

I'm surprised these guys haven't gotten sued yet. Stay away from them at all costs. They'll lie to your face, withhold information, and STEAL your money if you don't keep eye on your accounts. It'd be different if I had experienced this stuff once, but it seems intentional when multiple people have had the same problem and I've had the problem myself several times.

Urban Active Fitness — Over BIlling

Over Billing: I am a former member of Urban Active. I canceled my contract over three months ago, and I am...

Urban Active FitnessBilled after two year membership canceled

I finished a two year gym membership with this company and signed papers ending my membership after the two years was up. After the contract had ended I was still being billed but it was not coming out of my bank account. I had moved and when I filed for change of address had received a bill from this company for back pay. When I called them, I was told I only canceled half of my membership; the tanning portion!!! When trying to resolve this situation with no luck, I was then told that before I can stop the monthly billings I must pay off the balance! I have been in contact with the Chambers of Commerce and the BBB about this situation! So much for being a loyal member for two years! It didnt pay off!

chessiecat Nov 30, 2009

I'm having a similar problem. I cx'd, with 30 days notice, after my 2 years were up, but was charged an additional month. I don't have a tanning portion so this sounds like bogus standard operating procedures to me.

I called my credit card company and disputed the charge so I will be reimbursed. I will also file complaints with BBB and KY Attorneys General. FYI, the State Attorneys General will investigate a business after it receives a number of complaints. So if you've had similar problems, write to them.

I have several concerns with the way UA does business.
    1) The contract, in very small writing, states that the two year contract actually continues beyond the two years and must be cancelled in writing with a one month's notice. That usually gets the company at least one additional month's fee.
    2) I was told at the time that I cancelled, that I actually owed a $10 cancellation fee ! Even though I went through the full 2-years. They showed me where it stated that fact - the last item on the back of the contract. Fortunately, my contract was old and did not have that item.
    3) How do you like the $45 service charge every time you add additional training sessions ?!

• Wa
    wazhdees Feb 27, 2010

i'm hispanic, and at the moment of contracting 2 years ago the lady who attended me spoke in spanish too... and she practically pushed me to sign up... after showing me the installations and make it interested... she assured me it was a month to month contract...and i trusted her and... I also signed for letting them take the money from my husband's bank account... (They wait 3 times until the date of payment was due... and they took the late fee money also...)
    They are not honest enough at the moment of contracting...
    Is somebody there with a similar complaint? thanks.

• Rl
    rlc2010 Aug 03, 2010

Don't try calling headquarters 877-824-3571 for cancelling your membership. I am on hold and no one answers. I will make three tries later for calling the cancell line and then the new membership line and see what the average time is. I had such a bad experience with the Hilliard OH location. They are very unfriendly when you try to cancell the membership. They also don't tell you the truth either. We are moving, but want out of the contract, they didn't tell us we can buy our way out, $250 or 15% which one is greater. We had to dig for the contract and read the whole thing to find that. They wanted us to transfer to the New Albany location, wich would have been a 16mi trip, they told us, and is within the 25mi radius and we can't cancell. I still need to look if this is in the contract. Do not get a membership there, the equipments don't get fixed, and they started charging extra for maintenance, which again is not in the contract. There should be a clause that if they change something on the contract, we should be able to cancell the contract.

• Mi
    MiteshPatel Dec 24, 2010

I am also one poor customer of urban avtive fitness club. I have been told from marketing person of Urban Active, that you are on Month to Month Membership, so you can cancel your membership any time and we will not charge you anything. Then while joining for fitness trainer programm, the marketting person told me that if you dont feel it worthy, you can cancel trainer programm any time, you will not be charged for that. Now after one month when I told Urban Active people that I want to cancell the training programm and dont charge me from next month onwords, they said that you have to Buyout the programm and it will cost me $250 to cancel to memebership as I have enrolled for one year membership. But I have never been informed about that. When I asked them that I have enrolled for month to month membership, then they said NO, we have your signed contract and it show that have signed the one year agreement. But i never signed it. So i told them that i never signed it, then they printed out one agreement which show my sign on it. After looking at that agreement I come to know that that sign they took on Digital Pad and I never signed it on paper and they never showed me that contract. But when I told them that I signed only one month contract, that time they took print out and then showed me that contract, till then they never gave it to me. Even while signing that contract on Digital Pad they showed me only joining fee and One month fee on the screen and the 1 year fee which is on the print out, they never shoed me before on that computer screen. So Like that Urban Active cheating their customer. Urban Active is a BIG SCAM. They should be banned, because they are not at all transperent. They cheat their cutomer. I would like to let the people know that never join Urban Active fitness club. And never ever take the membership of fitness trainer. You will be in big trouble if you take trainer membership.

I would also like to get help from some one who know how to get money back from Urban Active Fitness club and Terminate membership.

You can call me on 513-442-1243 if you want to help me. If i dont pickup call please leave voice mail.

~ Mitesh Patel.

• Ct
    C TOLAND Jan 20, 2011

I ALSO HAD A MONTH TO MONTH CONTRACT, THINKING IT CANCELLED ITSELF AFTER 2 YEARS. I HAD FROZEN MY MEMBERSHIP WITCH IS A $10 CHARGE, NOT KNOWING YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS FOR 3 MONTHS KNOW !!! BEFORE IT WAS FOR HOW EVER LONG YOU WANT. I WAS CHARGED AFTER MY MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES THE MEMBERSHIP FEE ALONG WITH THE $10 FREEZE CHARGE. I DID TALK TO JOE @ THE MAUMEE, OHIO CLUB AND THEY DID NOT HAVE A FOR TO FILL OUT TO CANC MY MEMBERSHIP, I HAD TO PUT IT IN WRITING THAT I CANC MY MEMBERSHIP. JOE DID NOT MENTION THERE WAS A $10 CANC FEE. MY DAUGHTER HAD TO GO ON LINE TO GET FORM AND THAN THAT WAS HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE $10 CHARGE. THIS IS B---S---!!! THEY ARE JUST LIKE A CELL PHONE SERVICE THAT GETS YOU FOR EVERY STUPID THING. I FEEL A CLASS ACTION SUIT SHOULD BE BROUGHT AGAINST THEM. THE CUTIE THEY GOT WORKING FOR THEM NEED TO BE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE AND INFORMATIVE ON GIVING PEOPLE INFO ON ALL THE HIDDEN COST. WE NEED TO STOP THIS AND FILL SUIT AGAINST THIS TYPE OF PRACTICE. I WOULD LIKE TO BE INFORMED IF AN ATTN WOULD BE WILLING TO DO THIS. CONTACT ME AT 419-265-2021 LEAVE A MESSAGE.

• Je
    JennyR. May 03, 2011

Urban Active sucks I also signed up for a 2 year contract. I was just charged for anther month of $37.36 threw my checking account. I have been billed wrong several times. They also cancelled all there classes after I was stuck in my contract so why is it they can take stuff away, but will not allow a customer to cancel there contract?

• Ru
    ruben pulliam May 21, 2011

Urban Active has some very manipulating sales tactics. To tell you the truth, I don't know what type contract I signed. What I do know is that I inquired about going month-to-month for $19.99 but was tricked into paying over $60.00 up front...something about having to pay the last month and application/initiation fees. Not only that but within 10 days of joining I'll be hit again with an automatic withdrawal for another $19.00. So that's over $80.00 if I never use the facility. Furthermore, when I decided while in the office signing up that I wanted my money back, I was told that I would have to wait for a manager and also that there isn't a number for their corporate office. Ruben (502) 403-6719