Universal Gas And Electric Complaints & Reviews

Universal Gas And ElectricScam

I just wanted to make my complaint known to everyone about universal gas and electric. It is true, they are a scam and do not sign up with them for any reason. They supposedly supply the gas for Consumers Energy. They will tell you that their main purpose is to lock in your gas rate so that you will not be charged a higher rate in the future. Do not trust this though. The worst part for me was when I kept repusing to pay their stupid contract termination fee, they handed me over to a collection agency called collect corp (main location in canada). I fought both the collection agency and universal gas and electric, until they finally decided to terminate my contract officially and they stopped bothering me. How did I do this? It took some research on collection agencies, and knowing my rights. I began complaining to the better business bureau and anlso the federal trade commissions. I learned about my FDCPA rights and the fact that I was being violated because the collection agency would continue to call everyday. After about a month of going through much hassle and complaints about both companies, the better business bureau finally send me a letter indicating that universal gas and electric had responded to my complaints and agreed to terminate my contract and not try to charge me the $250 fee any longer. Believe me, it was well worth it to do this research and fight them on all their claims to collect a termination fee. I wish I would have done research on this company before I signed up with them, but thats how I learned.

Comment Guidelines

4 Responses
    • Za
      Zack M Feb 03, 2011

When a sales person came to my door and told me about this so called deal he had for me it sounded good at first, but then when I got my first bill I couldnt believe my eyes. My bill was so high I couldnt afford to pay it and had to call around to get help in paying it. the bad thing is its a 5year contract and they didnt save me any money at all, please beware of this company and all people that work for them because they will put the shaft to you it aint worth it.

• Pe
      pete christoff Nov 25, 2010

They are very evasive. I was promised a great saving on my gas bill, yet it went up 30.00 a month. Do you know if any one has started a class action law suit? If so please let me know. [email protected]

• Wi
      wizard2 Mar 30, 2010

My boss owns a small business in Michigan and got scammed by Universal Gas and Electric. Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit?

• Za
      Zaygrapa Oct 09, 2009

I got the same complaint. They came to my door a year ago and told me that they can lock my rate in and if the price of gas goes down all I had to do was call them and they would lower it. Wrong, another lie. I called this week cause they are charging me $4.00 more per MCF than consumers would. The lady on the phone told me they would not lower the price. I told her then to just cancel me and thats when she informed me about the early cancelation fee of $250. She said didnt you get the welcome package, I said no I did not. I said the guy at the door told me I could cancel at any time.
      What a rip off.

I believe it will be cheaper to pay the $250 than it will be to stay with them for another 4 years. Especially now that the gas prices are rock bottom.

If there is a class action law suit please let me know.

Tom in Livonia MI

Universal Gas And ElectricRip Off - Not cheaper - Lies - Stuck for 5 Years

Door to door sapes person comes to your house, says sign form and we'll lock in your max price of what you gas could go up to. Said will be cheaper than consumers. What they do not tell you is your stuck with them for 5 years (or pay them $250 dollars to get out). They end up charging more than consumers every time. that are 100% scam. Should be put out of business and sued.

Comment Guidelines

3 Responses
      • Ro
        Ronald870 Feb 18, 2009

I really do not understand how they can do these business practices in Michigan or anywhere for that matter. This guy shows up at our bussines while its busy mind you, portraying to my wife that she needed to sign up for this to insure that our gas prices would not go up and that with the deregulation in Michigan that would deffinatly happen, and there was no time to wait. They also said that the prices on the contract were the max that our price per Ccf could be for that year and if rates were down so would our bills. NOT THE CASE. Our bills jumped 30% the first month. Call to cancal when you get that first bill?? Guess what? Its to late. Call for a buy out? Cant give it too you, they need to mail you an offer, wich we have been waiting for two weeks for now. Now i am all for free enterprise and taking responsibility for our own actions for not looking into this contract more and it will likely costs us well into the $1000's for our mistake. However, what i do not understand is how the law allows a company to decieve someone (proven by the countless postings on the net) and then allows them to collect an additional fee or BONUS for it. I am discusted, frustrated and pissed off, if i find a way out I will deffinatly post it on here.

SALI Dec 19, 2008

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only way you can get out of your contract and not pay that $250.00 fee is to move to another state. You must have ID from that state with proof of address from that state. You will also need a bill in your name like car Insurance or some other kind of bill. I had to call them over 10 times and re-fax my inf to them. I made sure that I called them everyday to see if my contract was cancel. I called them today 12/19/2008 and was told that my contract was cancel by an Ill-mannered guy. Need anymore inf on how to get out please email me I will be more then happy to help you. After all you should check the BBB website they have over 250 complaints...Time for payback.

Chris Nov 20, 2008

Police: Be on watch for utility scam Universal Gas sales people do not have soliciting license

By Kathleen Conat, Special Writer

PUBLISHED: February 21, 2008

Ypsilanti Police Chief Matt Harshberger is warning Ypsilanti residents to beware of solicitors from Universal Gas & Electric who are going door-to-door in the city. These solicitors do not have the necessary permits and employ deceptive and strong-arm tactics to get people sign up for their alternative gas service.

If residents are contacted by these solicitors, they should contact the Ypsilanti Police Department immediately.

Universal Gas & Electric is an alternative gas supplier that has been operating in the state since 2005. The Michigan Public Service commission recently gave a conditional license as an alternative electric supplier on Jan. 29.

That license was made conditional due to a spike in complaints about pricing promises and business practices regarding their gas sales. The company has now asked the state to rescind that license, as it does not like the conditions put on it, according to Judy Palnau, spokeswoman for the MPSC.

The MPSC has opened an investigation into the company's practices, as well.

Sales tactics of Universal Gas, described by Ypsilanti residents and available on several complaint web sites on the Internet, include intimidation and deception. Residents have been asked to sign a form, which the salesperson says is only to let the company know you have been contacted. In reality, that form is a five-year contract. Part of that form may be covered by a blank piece of paper so you cannot read it.

The Universal Gas salespeople become angry when the resident says she is not interested and/or refuses to sign the form or provide information from their DTE Energy bill. Some people have signed merely to get the salesperson away from their door, not realizing they are signing a contract. Salespeople have also lied about the terms of the contract.

Door-to-door solicitors need a permit to solicit within Ypsilanti. Universal Gas never applied for a permit, according to the Ypsilanti City's Clerk's office.

When contacted at the company's Southfield office, a man who gave his name as Steve Mac said because the company is licensed in Michigan, it does not need local permits. MPSC spokeswoman Palnau disagreed, however, saying the license does not in any way supersede local ordinances.

Things you need to know, according to the MPSC:

If you choose to purchase your natural gas from an alternative gas supplier, the gas rate you are charged for natural gas will not be regulated by the MPSC. The rate is set by the company and may be above, as well as below, the rate of state-regulated companies.

There is a 30-day cancellation period after you've signed a contract. You may need to cancel this in writing to the company, so be sure you have an address where this can be sent.

After the 30-day cancellation time, there may be a cancellation fee. Universal Gas & Electric's cancellation fee is $250.

Some contracts are automatically renewed and prices are changed without warning.

The MPSC is taking complaints by telephone at [protected] between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Residents who have been approached by Universal Gas salespeople are urged to call to complain, whether or not anything was signed.

Residents may also complain to Universal Gas' Southfield office, at [protected], or their customer service line, [protected]. If you choose to complain to the company, MPSC asks that you also call the MPSC complaint number.

Kathleen Conat is a longtime Ypsilanti resident and freelance writer for The Courier. She can be reached through [email protected]

Universal Gas And Electric — Fraud and cheating!

I have been reading the online negative reports about the gas price protection scam that Universal i...