Trails.com Complaints & Reviews

Trails.comRip off

Please be wary of using this web site (ihsadvantage.com) for hotel reservations. They charge your credit card immediately and charge a cancellation fee equal to a one night stay, even if you realize you are on the wrong web site and try to cancel immediately. Also, if you realize that you are going to be charged whether or not you stay, and try to "un"cancel the reservation they "cannot" do it.

It is not illegal, but it is, also, not consumer friendly, nor helpful. They do not merit our business.

• Gy
    gypsywoohoo Sep 04, 2009

I will never use trails.com again to make a hotel reservation! The no change policy and cancellation policy exceeding 24 hours prior to check in are ridiculous for travelers. I didn't notice the $4.99 site fee for booking through them either. Based on the attitude of the reps at 1-800-308-7401, the company does not care becuase they already have your money. And what kind of callback phone number is 636-000-0000? Obviously one they're hiding behind. I'll second "BUYER BEWARE - USE THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

• Bi
    BillnMarge May 29, 2011

I found a $21.90 charge on my credit card account for a hotel reservation fee. My wife had done an Internet search, and apparently was social engineered into disclosing our credit card before it was revealed that they would charge $21.90 for a booking fee for a hotel reservation. She apparently 'booked' and then 4 minutes later 'unbooked' a reservation, speaking with someone on the phone who did not tell her she the fee was already charged even if she unbooked it. Their customer service line had a 30 minute wait when we called after seeing it on Amex bill three weeks later, and they basically said sorry charlie, thank you very much. Amex said there was most likely fine print and it was our fault for giving them trust. Lesson is never ever give a firm on the Internet a credit card number with naive trust. This company does not meet my standards of fair conduct.

• Fl
    Flagone Jul 27, 2012

What a horrible waste of money. This site does not offer anything you cannot find for free with a simple google search. The site does not work well and the search results for activities is horrible. I was testing the site to see if it would give me information on well know fishing spots in Southern California and it had zero results. Simply pathetic.

Trails.comfee for booking hotel

I recently booked a reservation through this website (it came up on my search engine for the area I was interested in). At the time I didn't notice the $4.99 site fee for booking through them (it was "buried" in the list of fees) and was surprised when I saw it on my cc statement. The thing that made me decide this site wasn't worth the visit much less the fee was that the hotel had no record of the the reservation. When I called trails.com to complain, the only response was they their website received an automated computer response from the hotel that the reservation had been received. There was no offer of a rebate of the fee. BUYER BEWARE - USE THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Gy
    gypsywoohoo Sep 04, 2009

I will never use trails.com again to make a hotel reservation! The no change policy and cancellation policy exceeding 24 hours prior to check in are ridiculous for travelers. I didn't notice the $4.99 site fee for booking through them either. Based on the attitude of the reps at 1-800-308-7401, the company does care becuase they already have your money. And what kind of callback phone number is 636-000-0000? Obviously one they're hiding behind. I'll second "BUYER BEWARE - USE THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

• Ps
    psl1969 Feb 03, 2010

Trails.com is a total scam.
    They over charged me for my reservation and included a fee. An hour after we made the reservation we had a family emergency in which we had to cancle the reservation and make it for the next day. Yet according to their "scam" policy you have to be in possession of a time machine to go back to the previous day in order to cancle after incurring the fee and tax and room charges of course.
    Julie at trails.com 1-866-412-3895 can't help you and is instructed to tell everyone about their scam policy. Her "supervisor" pimp Lindsy is way too busy to help cuz she is counting the money. So they have sent it on to accounting to handle in 7-10 business days in which I will receive either 1 cent or the whole amount.
    So I am contacting AMEX to report fraud. Then the BBB. Then small calims if not handled in time.
    Fraud through the internet is a federal crime ###!

• Ge
    Gemgane Aug 23, 2011

Nothing works on this web site. $50 a year for access to this site and it is broke most of the time.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices