Topsy Turvy Tomato Tree Complaints & Reviews

Topsy Turvy Tomato TreeEXTRA CHARGES

after watching the commercials advertising a tomato tree, which showed three holes in the product, instead of the original product using just one hole, the commercial promised 2 payments of 19.99 plus SH and a free strawberry planter with SH. I wanted to order to tomato trees, which I put my credit card information into the system. It took my credit card without even letting me see what I was ordering, and processed it, I received an email showing me I ordered 2 tomato trees, 1 strawberry planter and the total was a whopping $167.70. OMG! I about fell over dead. I called customer service and was on hold forever...now I know why...everyone who ordered online was calling cancelling the product...What a rip off...

1 Response
    • Ms
      Ms. Jane Sep 30, 2009

I totally agree with this complaintant, since I ordered the same deal, plus one extra Tomato Tree, in March 2008, and they didn't arrive until the end of May 2006. I was charged $187 for these Tomato Trees, and by August the bags had rotted and split. Our total harvest, after planting three tomato plants, yellow squash, bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers, was a total of ONE tiny jalapeno. When we removed the dirt from the rotted bags to at least save it, the root systems had not grown at all since the day we planted them. We raise a garden every year in our yard, so we know what we're doing when it comes to caring for garden plants as well as decorative plants in planters and flowerbeds.
      I am most disappointed, since they advertise them so highly, and we totally lost our fresh vegetable crop for this year. I don't know where they get all of these advertised Tomato Tree gardens from, but I do know that they don't work. Take it from a baby boomer couple who knows how to garden.
      Jane

Topsy Turvy Tomato TreeSCAM!!!

i placed an online order on 04/26/09, following a tv ad during which this company advertised 19.90 each, get two for one with only an additional shipping/handling amount for the second. there was no opportunity to change the order once entered and shipping charges were added after i gave my credit card number, which was 39.90! my total bill came to 109.70. i immediately emailed the company back after receipt of the order confirmation asking that it be cancelled. never heard back from anyone. i am completely disgusted and will protest this charge through my credit card carrier. i will also file a complaint with BBB.

3 Responses
      • Bo
        Boo May 26, 2009

Good to know. It looks as though a lot of people are getting scammed from this company. I was just about to order but not now! I'll stick with my old plastic garbage can that I have cut 7 holes in and used for years.

• Bo
        Bob G May 20, 2009

Same as above. I bought [1] to get [1] free. My invoice should have been $35.89 but was $66.78. Now, after refusing the shipment, I have the problem of trying to get the $31.80 s&h charge removed from my credit card.
        I will in the future, and suggest to all who read this, do not give any personal info, to anyone, until you have the actual charge amount.

• Ne
        newdrt May 18, 2009

i too ordered one of these "deals" - the internet page boasted about the buy-one-get-one free so i ordered two.

after all the questions of do i want to buy this or buy that, to which i always said 'no', the site gave me a confirmation page showing my total charges of $71 !!

i called to try to rectify the problem the following monday (i purchased on a saturday) and the gentleman said it was too late to cancel and that my order was already processed but i could refuse delivery and they would be sent back.

if i do that, i'm out $30 (roughly) since they charge $15 EACH for shipping and i would have nothing.

i'm happy to comment here - and my next letter is to the BBB to describe how they cheat you into false purchases.

i know these can be bought at home depot - i haven't found them at lowes yet, but if you are going to buy one, DONT BUY IT FROM THEIR WEBSITE!!

Topsy Turvy Tomato TreeBad experience

I ordered on Topsy Turvy Tomato Tree in May with a credit card. I received an order confirmation which listed all the pertinent information regarding my order (order number, address etc). It looked like any other confirmation email I have received before. Never processed my order according to my credit card statements. I have emailed twice and did not received a reply. I finally called the 800 # three separate times and got a hold of a company that sells binoculars. According to them, they have been in business for two years and have an 866 #. So I would call the 800 # and it went straight to this company who has a different number. I sent them yet another email tellling them to cancel my order, but if I don't hear from them how do I know they will? They have my information! Please help! I have tried to find them online again but no luck! Anyone out there have a similar experience?

6 Responses
        • Da
          Dafarmer Nov 07, 2009

I ordered two in the spring. They took weeks to show up. They required deep watering at least once a day and sometimes a little spritz in addition. They never really produced all that much fruit either. The 'free' strawberry hanging bag that came never produced ANY harvest at all. As a first timer with a backyard garden I'll take some blame, but wasn't this supposed to make it so easy anyone could do it? Also when ever it was windy any branches with fruit would tend to break off. I lost a lot of fruit that way. I put these out in June and by October (four months) both bags had rotted though and disinegrate when you touch them, which is making taking them down a quite dirty process.

• Fa
          Farmer John Sep 24, 2009

I had ordered two myself, only lasted six months before the sun rotted them out. Has anyone else had problems with watering, both of mine needed to be watered three times a day or the plants would wilt. The company claims they will last a long time, five years is long, not five months.

• Di
          Disgusted2 Aug 14, 2009

I ordered 3 of the Tomato Trees and, even with them all being shipped together, there was no discount on the S&H. The S&H was $19.95 each (total of nearly $60 for the three). They are making a killing off the S&H. The TV ad says the tomato trees are 6 feet tall; however, the stands you receive are only 5 feet tall. My tomato plants are now hanging on the ground. I also did not receive the recipe books that were supposed to be included. I called in May and, now that we are in the middle of August with tomatoes ready to be picked, I still have not received them. I sent the company a letter on July 17 on both issues and still have not received a response. Next letter is to BBB.

• Di
          disgustedinSeattle Jun 14, 2009

I ordered these trees this weekend. I thought I was ordering 2 but it looks like I ordered 4 (they have a very deceptive way of presenting the orders online). I talked to a customer service rep and they said my order was not in the system. They also told me that I would not be charged until shipped but they managed to charge my credit card today (1 day later). According to the status track the order has not been shipped (go figure). Where is this company located? The state Attorney General needs to know about these practices.

• Te
          TEXAS GIRL May 20, 2009

Called the 1-800# after seeing the Paid Programming on TV.
          Beware: Voice Recording only! When offered addl items other than the two trees I ordered, the recording said to press "1" for no if I did not
          want that or those addl item/s. Each and every time I pressed "1". Today I call about my order and not only did they send me the 2 trees, but they sent the extra large for a much higher price. They even sent all the items I refused with the "1" answer on the phone. I told them I would not accept the box/s and I definitely would not pay the return shipping, i.e. my credit card company will get that money back. This company is a rip off and I suggest you go to Target and buy the hanging box and not order through them AT ALL!!! It took me four answered phone calls to get through to a person that finally gave me a return shipping number. They will put you on hold and you will hold forever. NEVER AGAIN...JUST DO NOT MESS WITH THEM. This junk will be in the stores before you know it. WHO CARES. TEXAS GIRL

• Li
          lisa Aug 15, 2008

I too ordered those tomatos from Ct with a very wierd receipt on my credit card statement and never received them. I have contacted everyone and I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau right now.