Sheldon Cleaners Complaints & Reviews

Sheldon CleanersPressing of laundered dress shirts

I'm done. I've spoken to them twice about the poor quality of the pressing after my dress shirts are laundered. I'd just accepted it for a while, because I didn't have time to deal with it. This morning, I get one off the hanger as I'm dressing for work...and this is what I see... Check out the collar...It's unwearable.

They didn't fix the problem and we've been loyal customers for 6 years, spending about $800-$1, 000 per year.

Once I told them I was going to post this all over...THEN someone called my wife to talk about it.

Pressing of laundered dress shirts

Sheldon Cleaners — Damaged clothes, poor service!

I took three new dress shirts in to be dry cleaned. I made a special request and paid to have the shirts dry...

Sheldon CleanersRuined my shirts

I brought in two never been worn shirts to be cleaned. After the first time they came back with spots on them. I have given them another two times to clean these shirts and when the shirts still were not cleaned I went to speak to the manager. They say that they refuse to do anything more and it isn't their fault. Then they said, that there was nothing wrong with the shirts. After talking to them more they said that if I wanted to have them clean them for another time they might be able to get the spots out. When I told them I didn't want that and that I would like them to pay for the shirts (having the receipt in my hand) they told me no and that everyone was not to speak to me, not to give me their names, etc. One of the ladies told me that they were just shirts and she didn't understand why I was upset. After all that I still am out two brand new, sixty dollar a piece shirts.

• Re
    Renee Mar 25, 2008

A company wouldn't jeopardize the integrity of their business if they didn't believe that they weren't at fault besides what's the chances that both the shirts come back with spots out of thousands of shirts done, all done treated individually? All of times "brand new" means worn a couple of times but never washed. Spots didn't surface until cleaned.

• Si
    SiriP Mar 25, 2012

I agree with you 100%. Sheldon Cleaners is the worst cleaner EVER. All they do is blame the manufacturer for their poor cleaning and mistakes. It's always your fault or the manufacturers fault whenever they ruin your items. I still can't believe they come on here and try to justify this.

Sheldon CleanersRead this before using them!

Sheldon Cleaners is located in Grand Rapids, MI and the surrounding areas. My experience with them is as follows:

I took in a relatively new and expensive comforter made by Croscill which cost me around $300 for the comforter alone. I took the comforter in for spring cleaning. It was not heavily soiled nor spotted. I called before I took the comforter in and asked about how long it would take. I was told on a Friday that if I get it in before noon that I could pick it up Saturday after 3:00pm. I was absolutely thrilled.

When I went in Saturday to pick up the comforter, I was told that it was out for re-cleaning because it didn't pass inspection. I asked why did it need to be cleaned, it was very lightly soiled and I mean VERY lightly. Anyone else looking at it probably wouldn't even have known I had slept under it. I asked them pointedly, what did you do to my comforter? Did you damage my comforter? The woman kept insisting it just needed re-cleaning which I really didn't understand why. The only reason I took the comforter in for dry cleaning instead of going to use one of those large washing machines in the laundromat is because the manufacturers instructions state as much.

So, I went back Monday to see if my comforter was ready. I was told it wasn't dry yet. Dry yet? I took it to be dry cleaned, not washed. I asked why it had to dry. When I was finally able to pick up the comforter on Tuesday, it didn't smell like it had been dry cleaned, I'm sure everyone knows the distinctive smell of dry cleaning. When I saw the comforter I thought it looked a bit strange and flat. I figured maybe they use those space bags that take the air out of the comforter and it fluffs back up when the air hits it. Nope, they didn't. When I took the comforter out of the bag, I no longer had a comforter, I had a bedspread. My big, beautiful, fluffy, expensive comforter was now flat. I was not happy.

I called their main office and left a message and wanted a call back. No one returned my call so I went back to the cleaners for the 4th time to speak to a manager. I asked her what happened to my comforter. I went over everything I had asked her the first time I went back to pick up the comforter and the questions I had the second time. First she asked if the comforter had been cleaned before, it hadn't. She said that it was obviously not a good comforter. I pointed out that Croscill IS one of the "better" comforters. She then tried to tell me the comforter was old. 3 months is not old. Then when I once again tried to get her to explain the re-cleaning on a lightly soiled comforter she got nasty and said if I brought it in for cleaning then it must have been dirty. I explained to her that I was spring cleaning (obviously not a concept familiar to this person) and that everything is cleaned during spring cleaning.

I asked her to explain the comforter having to dry for so long and asked if they washed the comforter instead of dry cleaning it. She went on to say that she knows cleaning and it was cleaned according to the manufacturers instructions. I asked how could she possibly know what all the employees in there are doing? No answer to that one.

They wanted me to submit the comforter again to correct the problem. I asked her was she kidding me? They had it 5 days and tried twice without getting it right, why on earth would I give it back to them for them to mess it up some more? Then they talked about sending the comforter in and paying $35 for some council to determine if it was their mistake. Why pay $35 for something I already knew was their mistake?

The manager was rude and the owner was even ruder. I was yelled at, swore at and threatened when I tried to determine what happened. I checked the BBB complaint site and discovered that they have an unsatisfactory record. I wish I checked before going to them. I guess I thought I would trust them because this is a pretty decent town and MOST people here believe in customer service. Thank goodness I treat the people that frequent my business better than this. I wouldn't have a business if I didn't. These are people that definitely don't need to have a customer service oriented business.

I hope other people will check the internet or BBB before using them. I sure wish I had.

Sheldon CleanersPressing my own clothes on my business trips

As a clothier I have 30 years of experience in clothing care an maintenances, fiber expectations ect.
In the spring of this year I dropped off a very large dry cleaning order to Sheldon (40 plus items).
When I picked the items up I did not even think to inspect their workmanship of this order. I was hugely disappointed as most of the items were not even thoroughly pressed. Many items were returned shrunken, torn, and tattered. My ensuing work with them (7 or more return visits) in an effort to rectify the problems which took until October of this year to finally resolve, some at my expense. While they did re-do and were unsuccessful at placing blame on me due to my experiential level I ultimately felt that they had failed to respect the value of my time as a business person and my apparel as a customer. Some of the repairs left me with garments that are lesser in fit and value to me as they are now not as they originally were (snagged, different buttons, different buckles, non symmetrical arms eyes, tattered hems, heavily frayed seam allowances.

I was extremely disappointed as I had the expectation that Sheldon keeps you looking good motto had some truth in it. I expected my garments to be properly, well cared for and returned to me in better condition than which I had dropped them off. I certainly did not expect to be pressing my own clothes on my business trips, or finding my garments unbearable.

Company details:

Sheldon Cleaners
3000 Breton Rd. Se
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

• Me
    MEW May 23, 2007

I too have had problems with their service. I guess blaming the consumer or the manufacturer is their way of handling things. The more people that report their bad experiences with them the better. Consumer beware of this company. I plan on posting my complaint about them too.

• Sm
    Smith Apr 27, 2008

I've had shirts taken in and they could not have been irorned AND I was charged the higher price charge for women's blouses. The reason for the higher price? They would have to take MORE care ironing my blouses! The have lost any sense of customer service. The day staff at the 29th & Breton location have the customer service skills of the Soup Nazi! This is not a good store, and if you use any of the other stores in the surrounding location, your clothes are sent to the Breton location anyway!

• Mi
    Mitch Jul 17, 2008

Just this past weekend my girlfriend brought in her work suits(She is in a traning program that has appearance as a critique). The warehouse had a power outage and she was unable to get her clothing before she had to leave for a week long business trip to Detroit. They said that they could not call us and let us know in advance because her cell phone number was long distance. We asked that we be able to go to the warehouse to retrieve the clothing so she could get them cleaned while in Detroit. They said that would be fine acept the warehouse closed in 11 minutes and they wouldn't stay open any later for us to drive over and find the suits. I was then told by a manager over the phone that I could "go buy new suits."

When I finally got contacted by customer service (5 days after trying to repeatedly contact them) I was told by another manager, Nancy, that another manager would "say no such thing" and she would "bet her house on that." (So now I am a liar). She then started to go on and say that my claims are rediculous and told me that she has no control over a power outage, "only God does." With as many people in this world that may not believe in your God I wouldn't think it smart to bring it up in a professional setting.

I also explained that I was only asking to be compensated for $33 when I also had to drive 250miles round trip ($70 in gas) to bring my girlfriend her clothing.

Anna Oct 17, 2008

Funny, I have also had an extremely horrible experience with Nancy, the "manager" at Sheldon Cleaners. She actually went as far as asking me WHY I was calling her and then told me I was rude because, basically, I had a complaint. I will NEVER, EVER use Sheldon Cleaners again and will make sure that the word gets out to others, this including the owner of Sheldon Cleaners. Has anyone ever checked there Better Business Burea rating, it is unsatisfactory.

• Un
    underappreciated12 Mar 06, 2014

you should see how they treat their employees. half of the things they do at sheldon are illegal.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices