Shapes Total Fitness Complaints & Reviews

Shapes Total Fitnesscharges

I had a membership to Shapes Fitness Center in Sarasota Florida and my contract was for one year to expire in April 2011, and I did not renew my membership due to moving out of the area. On 8/20/ 11 I discovered that Shapes had deducted 50 from my bank account. When I inquired about this obvious mistake I was told that there was a clause in my contract that states I must give Shapes a written notice to not automatically renew my contract with them... IN WRITTING. The $50 is non refundable, and I was told that to cancel I must submit the request to them 30 before the payment is due, meaning that once they automatically renew my contract and I discover the deducted amount5 and submit a written request there is absolutely no way they would receive this 30 before and ANOTHER payment will be deducted!! The club that I loved so much is so very underhanded and sneeky. Imagine how many others have had this happen to them as well and had 2 if not more payments taken with no chance of refund!! horrible business. I will never be back.
A foremer loyal Shapes Member. FORMER.

1 Response
    • Al
      ales dan Aug 22, 2011

I just paid $23.57 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy.
      Here is the website we use to get it all from : BidsBit.com

Shapes Total Fitness — Cancelation Issues

I have been a customer of Shapes Total Fitness for over a year now. For the last month I had been trying to...

Shapes Total FitnessCleanliness and Club Enhancement chg

Just received a $29.00 annual fee enhancemenet charge for the gym.. I was never told that they could charge more than the signed contract. I am member of the Shapes at Seminole. The ceiling of the workout area constantly is falling. The ceiling is full of mold since it has had a leak and falling the entire year that I have been a member. The members have had many bouts with bronchitis due to this atmosphere. The place is not clean and the floors are always dirty. THe staff is not friendly. There has been No enhancements so why are we being charged?? Mr. Jeff Dotson needs to visit this gym and see how dirty it is along with the unhealthy atmosphere. I hope you will make sure that Shapes rescinds this notice of the $29.00 and make sure that this gym is heathly. My suggestion is close it until it has the repairs.

8 Responses
      • Al
        Alane Enderle Mar 23, 2012

Today I also received the annual enhancement fee for 29.00. The club I attend is in Bradenton Florida. Our club has had no new equipment, we have filthy yoga mats, everyone brings their own, we don't have enough yoga blocks and if there is a large class, we run out of weights. For me, this enhancement fee is a desperate attempt to steal money from members.I have been a member for over 6 years and I will not renew for this sneaky practice.

• Li
        Lisa_C Dec 13, 2011

Before joining I specifically discussed my desire for a paid-in-full membership at Shapes. At the time I was assured by the salesperson that the membership contract I was signing was paid-in-full. The representative even went so far as to write a paid-in-full note on the agreement. She also provided a hand written receipt stating paid in a full membership status. I truly feel duped by Shapes as I was lied to. The club enhancement fee was not mentioned at the time I signed. I'd be willing to bet that this is a routine practice and not an isolated occurrence. I did speak to the club and also wrote them two letters. Unfortunately Shape's response was pay the fee or go to collection. So Shapes lost a long time customer for not disclosing that they intended to bill me fees on top of the traditional dues assessment.

Deceptive sales and billing practices are never worthwhile in the long run. It is an integrity issue for me and it makes me worry about the safety and cleanliness of the club. My business is going elsewhere for sure.

• My
        MyThai Oct 19, 2011

I just got the enhancement fee bill for $31.03. When I called the number listed on the statement, the girl pretty much said if I didn't pay it, it would go to collections. She couldn't answer my question on what the fee covers. I'm very disappointed with Shapes. I paid for my year in full back in April. I will not be renewing, and I hope I don't get another "enhancement fee" bill.

• Cl
        ClubMember Jul 11, 2011

I pretty much agree. I'm a member of the St. Petersburg club and I just got a notice of that fee. I paid for my membership in full in the beginning so I feel like Shapes should have charged me then or made a point of mentioning the fee then. I went back and looked at the fine print of my contract and see that it says something about the company reserving the right to charge such a fee, but that's not the same thing as mentioning it off the bat...especially since I asked if there were any additional fees then. And on top of that, the club has a chronically smelly restroom area, which links to the ladies locker room. And there has been no improvement since I joined a year ago. Because of the aroma, I don't even feel comfortable using the sauna, pool or showers.

LampN2MyFt Jun 23, 2011

No, I agree with you 123321...now I see why. I am extremely vigilant with my banking info. Now these people own me unless I want to have bad credit. It's a lesson learned on my part, but I am still going to News Channel 8 over these hidden fees!!!

LampN2MyFt Jun 22, 2011

I didn't mind the contract. But when a business starts debiting my account for hidden fees that they never told me about then we have a problem. Still, I had the manager tell me to just close my checking account and let the balance go to my credit report...REALLY??? No thank you. I don't dine and ditch. I signed the contract and I am responsible to pay it, but it reeks of breech when hidden fees are just drafted without ANY notice. I am contacting the local media.

LampN2MyFt Jun 22, 2011

I already tried to cancel. They said only if I move out of state (show proof I'm moving) or have a medical reason that is basically life threatening. I don't hate the gym...I hate thieves and liars. These people are not honest then they have your banking info and threaten to come after you with lawyers if you don't pay the remaining balance. They are horrible!!! Unethical!!!

LampN2MyFt Jun 22, 2011

I just received the fee TWICE without being told because both my daughter and I have a membership. Because I wasn't told of the fee I paid other bills and their fee sent me into an overdraft nightmare with my bank!!! This corporation is dishonest and unethical. Any way to fight this???

Shapes Total FitnessFraud

My credit card was stolen and I forgot to switch over my account with Shapes. Since I pay for both my daughter and myself, they are charging me a $28 fee for being declined for both. No other company did this to me. I had forgotten to also switch my Busch Gardens card. Busch Gardens didn't charge me a penny! I asked the girl if I could speak with her manager and she told me that she didn't have one, that the next person would be the owner and he does not talk to anyone. How funny is that, he'll take my money but won't dare speak with me. Also, I have only used the gym once due to the fact that I have a herniated disc and can't go. I still pay because I am locked into the contract, but come on, you are not having to come out of your pocket for the declined EFT transfer. Just take the payment and forget the fees. I'm not using the facilities anyway, so you're really making money for nothing as it is. They are ***.

Shapes Total FitnessRude employee

Lost my job and husband, got behind on payments to Shapes. Always answer the phone when they call and make payments as I have money. Received a call from "A" in the Tampa office stating that I better have legal representation call them, they are putting my account against my SS# and taking me to court over less than $300 owed. Told her when I get my income tax I would pay in full, she said it wasn't good enough and not her problem, they are SUEING me. Was EXTREMELY rude and confrontational like I personally owed her money. Understand I'm behind but not like I'm dodging them

Shapes Total FitnessBad service

I needed to cancel my membership at Shapes due to a relocation. My Husband serves our country. I asked prior to signing if we needed to move because Uncle Sam said so, would that be an issue. I was told that it would not be. When that time came a 1 1/2 years later I submitted the information to show we relocated. I was told that I would still have to pay a fee even though there was no gym in my area. We relocated from Florida to California. We tried speaking to a corporate manager and were treated rudely. If you choose to go to Shapes, know that even if you have to relocate, regardless of reason, you will have to pay an expensive fee.

Shapes Total FitnessStay away

I recently went to the Shapes on Missouri Ave. I would suggest to anyone DON'T LEAVE YOUR KIDS THERE!! That was the dirtiest place I have seen in any day care. The swings, walkers and toys for babies were so disgusting they would have been shut down if the Health Dept. investigated it. I am telling you not a little dirt everything was black with mud and dirt HORRIBLE. I will not be suprised to see Shapes in the news or a lawsuit because if this. Trust me don't take your kids there EVER if you love them!!

Shapes Total FitnessAwful service

SHAPES FITNESS ***!! I went there today (St. Pete, Florida) with $500 in my pocket. I had talked to a rep yesterday via phone. She seemed cool enough. I am a brass tacks kind of girl. I want to know how much it costs and what they have to offer. I made an appointment with the Asst. Manager for the next day. I arrived at the Shapes location twenty minutes early. I told them of my "appointment'. Well, the AM was out sick. Instead, I got some very strange girl who was obviously trained too aggressively on "SALE STRATEGIES". She was moving her head all around in a weird way, trying to make eye contact. I kept telling her that I "JUST WANT TO SEE THE FACILITY!" I said this at least three times. I had refused to fill out a clipboard form about my life. I kept telling her "I JUST WANT TO SEE THE FACILITY!” She persisted and kept saying "Well, I can't show you anything because you didn't fill out our form. I have no idea what I should show you!" Again, I said: "I JUST WANT TO SEE THE FACILITY!” She kept nodding her head all over the place to capture eye contact and ignored my requests.

This is a terrible mistake for the SHAPES organization. I was ready to spend at least $500 on a yearly membership. However, apparently you brainwash your employees to the point they don't hear the customer. This is so wrong.

I will NEVER join SHAPES. They are too screwed up!!! BTW. I never did get to see the gym. I walked out because the sales rep kept insisting I fill out their stupid form. Is this asinine or what???? Their LOSS!!!I I am taking my hundreds to the next gym. Even saying this freaks me out. In this economy, you would think businesses would respect the customer. I guess not. Like I said before; THEIR LOSS!

2 Responses
                • Me
                  MeToo720 Mar 11, 2011

You must work for them, , , SHAPES SUCK!!!

• Tt
                  ttt243 Jan 02, 2011

Wait, this doesn't make sense. I filled out the paper and it literally takes 2 minutes, they don't even call or email you afterwords. Even if you were given a tour they tell you about rates after. Some people are so hard to please :/ If you are that hard of a customer, believe me they didn't want you there more then you didn't want to be there.

Shapes Total FitnessStay away!

I joined Shapes (Apollo Acceptance) over a year ago. My marriage and life has since gone bad. I moved from FL to WV. I notified Shapes of the move in Nov 2008 and cancelled my membership. I filled out the forms they sent me and documented my move. I am still getting bills from them. (3 months now and counting!) They call me several times a day. They call my soon to be ex husband several times a day. They tell him I have done nothing with my membership and owe them nearly $700. That's amazing. I guess simple Math is not a in the job description! They (Elisha and Tangela) tracked down my new landlord and are now calling to harass her too. Thank you ladies, I am on the verge of being homeless! They even called my "emergency contact" person and are harassing her. Emergency? There is no emergency. I moved 1500 miles from my local Shapes and cancelled my membership. Forget about consumer privacy act or customer service. These ladies are rude and have no tact. Is it really necessary or legal to call everyone you would not believe the lies they are telling anyone that will answer their calls. I've done nothing? Excuse me Tangela read the documents and letters I sent you where I notify you in WRITING of my move and cancellation. Consumer BEWARE! Do not do business with Shapes Total Fitness (Apollo Acceptance) unless you want your life ruined and to be harassed daily by two females.

Shapes Total FitnessBeware if relocating

They neglect to tell you that their refund period starts when they receive your proofs, not the date your proofs refer to as your relocation date. Also, they take $75 off the top as a penalty for cancelling the contract. So I lost about $140 by signing up; my relocation occurred faster than I thought. BEWARE! BEWARE! Their managers will not tell you this info--I had to find it out the hard way. I reported them to BBB, but they refused to deal with me to make me a satisfied former customer.

Shapes Total Fitness — Cancellation procedures

I canceled in the same gym I first joined under your comfort plan; I went the amount of times I needed to go...

Shapes Total FitnessThey are totally evil

My wife and I recently move to Louisiana from Florida where my wife had a membership to Shapes Total Fitness. Before we left Shapes told us that we would be able to transfer her membership to an affiliate club in the town we were moving to. However when we got here and went to that club we were told that it was no longer an affiliate club. So shapes continued to charge us even though there was no affiliate club for us to change to. So they told us we owed them about $180. Now we just received a letter saying we owe them about $700 because we broke the contract and if we don’t pay they will take us to court and make us pay court costs. However this would have all been resolved if they had just told us from the beginning that there was no affiliate club in Lafayette where we live now. So do yourself a favour and don't join shapes. If you do and you move to another state before your contract is up they may lie to you and tell you there is an affiliate club in the city you are moving to when in fact there is not.

2 Responses
                      • Ca
                        Carolyn Spies Oct 21, 2010

I paid for a full year on 8/29/10 when I joined. After attending one water exercise class, I found that the pool area, dressing area and shower area was too slippery for me, which made me a high risk for falling. ( I don't think that they would want that to happen.!!!). My doctor filled out a medical necessity cancellation form, my son wrote and explained my handicap, etc., etc. and I have been calling almost every day - no call returned. I am still waiting for my refund. I hope that someone at the cancellation dept. reads this comment and will email me regarding my refund.

Carolyn Spies

• Ha
                        Harry Oct 18, 2008

I totally agree. I am also suffering with Shapes. I tried to cancel after few months but was not allowed. They are now keep on charging my account. Do not know how to cancel. The total amount they charged was $500.