Santander Cards Complaints & Reviews

Santander CardsMis-selling

I am enquiring on behalf of my father, who is 55, not well educated, and has never had a credit card in his life. Somehow, the Abbey/Santander have issued him with one - they must have bamboozled him with info one day he was in the local branch and got him to sign on the dotted line. He cannot recall doing so and does not understand how a credit card operates. When it arrived in the post, he thought it was a new debit card for his bank account and proceeded to spend on it in shops and withdraw cash from it. He has now been charged missed payment fees and interest on the cash withdrawn. The first statement co-incided with the funeral of his own father and may have been overlooked. Despite attempts to pay off the fees and cancel the card in the branch and on the phone, none of the staff have been able to help him, trying to encourage him towards telephone banking and online banking, which he does not understand. Is this a case of mis-selling a credit card? And is my father entitled to a refund of the fees and interest charges?

• You can cancel the card/account which would close the account and prevent any further spending. But you would still be responsible for the balance... Hard lesson to learn, but you can't expect the bank to take responsibility for your father's actions. Just pay it back and be done with it. I bet he'll be even more careful from now on.

• Bu
    buzzing123 Feb 14, 2010

He is always very careful about finances, always pays up-front for everything and does not like accounts or bills of any sort, which is why I am quite certain that he has been tricked/talked into signing for the credit card by a member of the counter staff trying to meet targets or get a bonus... He would never knowingly take out a credit card. There are over £100 of interest fees for cash withdrawn on the card, while he has thousands of pounds sitting in his current account which he thought he was withdrawing. It may be that the staff member assumed he knew what a credit card was, but he does not and I had to explain it to him. Is it acceptable for bank staff to assume that all members of the public know what a credit card is? Should they not take more care to ensure that their customers fully understand what it is and how it works?

• Ca
    Cahyle Mar 31, 2010

There are two sides to this. Number one, you (your father) shouldn't go signing away to anything. There is a process to follow when getting a credit card, and you are given the credit agreement to read. That's just irresponsible. I'm sure he's a respectable man, but claiming that he was 'forced' into it, is just not right. Now secondly, the card is a service. They give you credit, up to thousands of pounds worth, and all you need to do is pay a bit off every month. Not a bad deal if ou know what you're doing. Blaming them is just a bit naive. But, there are procedures to follow for his situation. I suggest to stop spending, ask or the total due amount (to get you out of arrears if you are) and follow the month payments at least. If you're able to pay off the balance in full, I suggest to do that, and they might look at waiving fees.

• Re
    RE77 Apr 06, 2010

Santander are unethical financial sharks. Cahyle obviously found his/her ethichal home.

Santander CardsUnjustified Credit Card Limit Reduction

In the post this morning I received a letter reducing my credit limit on my ASDA card from £2500 to £200
When I asked Santander the reason they told me it was on information from a Credit reference Agency.
I have always paid my debts on time have no mortgage on the houses I own and the credit check I did showed no problems.
When I went back to Santander they said it was a business decision but would not elaborate.
Santander are treating their customers very badly and I will be closing the account and withdrawing the £27000 I have in savings with Abbey who are part of Santander.
Sensible credit control is understandable in the current climate but their actions are completely unjustifiable in this case.
I do not recommend dealing with this bank.

Santander CardsFalse information submitted to Equifax

I had a loan with DFS originally with GE Capital bank that was taken over by Santander Cards. The loan over the last two years was always paid on time. I telephoned in April to check as I knew it finished sometime in the summer and I was told the last payment would go out in July. A payment went out on the 2nd July so I then cancelled my direct debit. On returning from holiday on 14th August I opened a letter to say theat a final payment was still outstanding to Santander. Confused and upset (as I have always paid my bills on time) I telephoned them to be told that Junes had been taken out late and July's was still due. I imediatelly made the payment on the telephone. They have registered me being 2 months in arrears with Equifax which is just lies. Firstly that was the final payment and secondly it was paid two weeks late and not to months. This has seriously effected what was an excellent credit rating and it is just not true. I have all the paperwork to prove the payments. Santander have told Equifax that the information is correct so they cannot amend my details. I am really cross. I have telephoned Santander and they will not put me through to a complaints department or any one that deals with the credit information. I was told to write in which I have done but knowone has replied. I really do not want to let this go as it is not right that a company can have you black listed with incorrect information. Please could someone advise how I can get the information put right, kind regards Alison

• Le
    LESLEY1976 May 28, 2011

YOU SHOULDD BLACK UP AS CHAKA KHAN, GO TO YOUR LOCAL BRANCH, PULL DOWN YOUR KNICKERS AND YOUR KNOCKERS AND PISS ALL OVER THE FLOOR DEAR!

• Fa
    Faith6026 May 28, 2014

They just did the same thing to me. My credit is good I have a secured loan with them. They said they have no recereceived papayment in 2 months. Meanwhile it was ttaken from my chchecking account. Stay awayaway frfrom them

Santander Cards — UNJUSTIFIED CHARGE

I moved home in march and notified all my credit card companies of my new address. I received a letter from...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices