Publishers Renewal Service Complaints & Reviews

Publishers Renewal ServiceFraudulent Phone Call

I too received a phone call from a gentleman. When I answered the phone he (of course) asked for me. I told him that I was speaking and he said "I am a representative from Publishers' and they wanted me to call you to let you know you are the finalist for (insert state)'s $1 million prize drawing. As a finalist you will also receive a 60 month subscription to any two magazines you wish, which you can change which magazines you receive at any time." And he tried to verify my address...at that point I suspected it was a scam because 1st and foremost I NEVER ENTERED A DRAWING FOR $1, 000, 000...2nd the gentleman never gave me his name...3rd he didn't specify PUBLISHER'S CLEARING HOUSE or anything Just "Publisher's"...and 4th how can it be a subscription if you can change what magazines you receive...At that point I would not give him any more information and immediately following my conversation I did a reverse phone lookup on numberinvestigator.com. The number was a landline based out of Little Rock, Arkansas but there was not company name. Right there I picked up the phone and called the REAL Publisher's Clearing House at [protected]. If you follow the prompts option 5 and then 0 to talk with a customer service rep and they will tell you whether you really received a phone call from them or not. If it is found the number is fraudulent, they will fill out a Fraud Report with you (which only takes a few minutes) and they will proceed to investigate the issue. PLEASE DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE WITH PUBLISHERS RENEWAL SERVICE OR ANY COMPANY YOU HAVE NOT BEEN AFFILIATED WITH FOOL YOU INTO VERIFYING ANY INFORMATION WITH THEM! Even if they tell you that you cannot get out of it or cancel because they have prepaid for your magazine subscription that's a load of bull. If they send you the magazines anyway send them back. They will try to bill you, but don't cave in. This is just a way to get into your bank account and syphen off funds, and you will NEVER get rid of them if you give in!

Comment Guidelines

2 Responses
    • Th
      thoughtballoons Jun 05, 2009

Even worse (I think) is the reverse number lookup services that claim to be free, but want your credit info to show you your "free" report. Isn't this illegal and if so who has the time, money, and willingness to fight it? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Ad
      adrienne gilliard May 19, 2009

i too received a call from them today. i wish i never answered the phone. they cant bill me for a card i dont have.so who gets the last laugh?

Publishers Renewal ServiceContract/Billing

I was contacted by a Reader's Source rep a couple months ago who told me I had opened an account with them 4 or 5 years ago which obligated me to a 5 year subscription to several magazines. I told them I neither remembered opening the account nor did I want it. I was told that I am unable to cancel because they pay the publishers in advance for subscriptions. The total amount of the contract is approximately $1000 and I was required to pay them $30 per month.

When I was told I could not cancel and afraid that I would be sent to Collections, I gave them new billing information - my Visa Check Card. I was billed $60.00 on 1/17/09 and $31.50 on 2/16/09. Several of the magazines promised have never arrived, which I told the last rep who called me between the two billings. The rep said they would look into it and would be reducing the monthly cost of my magazines. The magazines have still not arrived and when I saw the 2/16/09 charge of $31.50 I realized they had not reduced my payment but INCREASED it by $1.50.

I DO NOT WANT this service. I wish to cancel but they won't let me. Even upon agreeing to fulfill the terms of this contract to protect my credit, they have not fulfilled their contractual obligation.

Comment Guidelines