privacy plus Complaints & Reviews

privacy plus&Free& Credit Check Scam

This scam agency supposedly offers a "free" personal credit check only to make your life a living hell in cancelling the automatic fees from the supposed membership you are forced to agree to just to educate yourself on the health of your credit rating. This company and the people behind it are [censored]ing ###. Just like so many other internet scams out there, they hide behind the ambiguity of an internet site and an automated phone line (once you exhaust ridiculous amounts of time just to find it!)

Normal, good people are sick and [censored]ing tired of being taken advantage of!!! When these types of businesses continue to flourish without individuals being able to take any effective, legal recourse its time to start taking additional action.

From reading many of the other complaints on here I can see this is happening to a lot of others... and for quite some time... Lets get to the bottom of this by posting and exposing as much personal information about these people's real names, exact work locations, home addresses, etc. I think you know where I'm going with this. You all know the old addage: "Be careful who you bully... "

privacy pluscharges/no working ph#

I visited Privacy Plus thinking I could get a copy of my credit report. As soon as I saw there would be a monthly charge I immediately called and cancelled. The next month I was charged. I called and cancelled again. Then I was charged again the next month. I again called to cancell. Needless to say. 4 phone calls and 3 emails later. I have had to close my checking account due to the charges they keep taking and the overdrafts they caused. I have yet to get thru to any ph# I can find for them neither will they respond to an email. I feel I am due a refund from this company, IF YOU CAN EVER GET THRU TO THEM. And reading these comments, the one from the privacyplusemployee...I cannot believe that if this is a reputible company they would allow the language he used. If anyone can provide a good working ph# where you can actually talk to someone I would greatly appreciate that info. They owe me alot of money. Thx...

• Ad
    ADR Aug 20, 2009

Charges started appearing on credit card, when i inquried was referred to web site. Sent an email to cancel, charges did not stop. went on web site called no. in Montreal was transferred to Des Moine, Iowa. Was told that I had became a member through a third party. Was told I would be getting 2 months refund of 30.29 per month. the way this company is operating is a total scam.

• On
    Onipanua Aug 20, 2009

I just finished dealing with them. I was never able to access their website as it kep freezing and yet they have charged me for 2 months and will only issue a refund for one month. Anyone interested in a class action law suit to stop these criminals?

Contact me at [email protected]

• Po
    PoeticJustice84 Sep 09, 2009

Privacy Plus is a scam. Those ### are taking money from my sister's debit card with out her permission. We're college students! We need all the money we can get. I wish someone would file charges against these ###S!

• Ro
    Ronald V. Griffing Apr 05, 2011

I'm in the same Situation as You are and they Continue Charging Me each Month, So if You get any Helpfull News or Phone Numbers I would Appreciate it very much. If theres anyone Out there whom can Help Us out Please do so ASAP!! Thanks, Ron Griffing sr. at [email protected] or 318-688-6410

• Be
    BESEIGED Jun 10, 2011

IS THERE ANY WAY TO CONTACT PRIVACY PLUS. THEY KEEP CHARGING MY ACCOUNT $2.00 A MONTH . I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S FOR. I WOULD
    APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THE COMPANY AS TO HOW TO REACH THEM. SEARS KEEP DUNNING ME FOR THE MONEY THAT I'VE SAID I DON'T OWE..I NEVER TOLD THEM THAT BUT I NEED TO GET THE CHARGES TAKEN OFF MY CREDIT CARD. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 6 MONTHS & SEARS SAID THAT SINCE IT IS SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT THEY WILL NOT PUT IT THRU THEIR FRAUD DEPT. IF I CONTINUE TO GET CHARGED IT WILL SOON ADD UP TO MORE THAN THE $12.00 SO FAR..PLEASE HELP...

• Ov
    overseer 1 Feb 18, 2012

I too just did this Free credit report through these guys and boy I am the most aprehensive person about giving any info out. Low and behold my suspicions were correct!!! I have informed my bank and I will be going to the police first thing in the morning. Do not use these clowns!!!

privacy plusdid not authorize service

this site was linked to another site we were on and asked if we wanted theyre serivices and we clicked on no, we recieved an email stating we had joined and they would be taking out 19.99 a month unless cancelled, we cancelled by email since we could not get in contact with them by the phone number they had given us. their policy states that you must phone them to cancel (their phone does not work) we contacted visa told themof this and to stop payment which they did not fraud we will be cancelling our card

• Cg
    CG604 Mar 28, 2009

I found two phantom charges for $29.95 each for a service I did not sign up for or had ever even heard about.

The website is a joke - no information at all. You have to tell them to cancel the charges or they just keep billing you. For what... I have no idea.

There should be some law in Canada that will not allow a verification or some type of confirmation of ANY charge on a credit card. If there is, this so called "business" has found a loophole.

I called Visa and complained of fraud, but they mentioend the company is legitimate, but has recived several well documented complaints just like mine.

Shut these clowns down before they do some real damage. I'm now going to have to cancel my CC account and begin a new one and go through all the necessary loopholes to correct everything. They already have my CC info.

Privacy Plus... - A complete SCAM

DocTerry Jun 08, 2009

I wish I had read this board before registering for a FREE credit report!

Fortunately I noticed a charge for $12, 95 on my credit card. I called and they immediately cancelled and refunded my money. However, I noticed that a charge arrived the next month! (In fairness I suspect my cancellation was after their billing date) I called again, and this time had to speak to a supervisor who confirmed my account had been cancelled and that I had been billed twice and credited once--she has promised to refund this second amount.

However, I am curious--most of us would like to see what's on our credit report; but how many of us need a monthly service costing $150 a year? (I see some people were charged double.) Clearly this company is working the odds -- 10-20% of people do not question items on their bill.

The credit card companies have aggressively worked at making it impossible for the Russian music sites (which are legal in Russia..and not illegal in Canada!) which hurt the big music companies, but gladly work with this sleezy company who hurt only the little guys like you and me?

• Mo
    Monique Moffit Jun 24, 2009

I signed up for the free credit report - no such web site - no answer on the phone - it is a scam and should not be allowed on the internet a a legimate company. I won't trust any site without research again. HOw many people don't verify their account and have their credit card charged and this company just goes on charging cards fraudulently. I have cancelled that transaction on my card but something should be done to not allow a company without a valid website to promote on the internet.

• 2n
    2no_or_not2no Jul 23, 2009

seems like the people at your credit card company do not know there job. You submit a complaint on them. I hate incompetence. They should have let you dispute the charge. There are 2 ways I can think of right now of how to get your $$ back. But I'm not your card co. so, there goes that.

Dougie55 Sep 29, 2009

I took out a 1 yr subscription offer the gave out for $24.95, and have had nothing but grief with it since. Seems like every month Ihad to get a new subscription number, fought to get access, etc...This is just a subsidiary company of Trans Union, as I have figured out, and they are totally lost half the time...I have talked to supervisors a ton of times, and each one has been with the company a short time, or cannot even understand English, so how do you get the message across???
    STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY...It is just another front for TransUnion, and although they are one of the only two major credit reporting companies in Canada, you are stuck with what you see and get. Both major companies have so many faults it is scary...It is sad to say, but you will need to check with them to see what your credit report looks like, as all banks, etc use these two companies, but don't expect them to be accurate, or even up to date... What a joke to have your credit determined by such incompetent fools as they have working for them... KEEP YOUR CREDIT INFO up to date and keep copies of major transactions at hand...you might need them.

Dougie55 Sep 29, 2009

Read above

• Ri
    richman Jul 13, 2010

Our son was recently killed in an ATV accident. We were forced into a painful process of sorting out his financial affairs. In doing so, we noticed his visa account was being charged $32.95 for Privacy Protection. We contacted Privacy protection at 1-888-999-0535 and were directed to a call center. We inquired what services they were providing to our son for $32.95 per month. The woman said she worked in a call center. We asked if she would take our name and have someone call us to explain the benefits of Privacy Protection Plus. She said she was unable to take or forward phone numbers. (some call center)

I will continue to do more research on what appears to be a internet scam. There are numerous complaints concerning this company posted on the internet. Most revolve around unauthorized billing to credit cards. Once I have determined, what appears to be a fraud disguised as a membership, which nothing is received in return, I shall lay a criminal charge under the Canadian Postal Securities Act and I will have this unethical operation closed. That is a promise!

My son was 20 and I believe he thought he was getting a free credit check. Instead his visa card has been fraudulently charged on an ongoing basis with no benefits in return. It time to stop this company.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices