NCO Collection agency Complaints & Reviews

NCO Collection agencyharrassment/ illegal misrepresentation

NCO has been calling my home, that of other family members (via inlaws), pretending to be thier legal dept. Without benefit of a written letter of intent to sue, nor one served in person with a sheriff, they have been threatening by phone to sue my kids. My kids have made payments to them which they have records of, with Capitol One refusing payment. They illegally make illegal withdrawls from thier checking account without permission or consent, causing numerous other bills to bounce.
As a former collector who worked at an agency in St. Louis, we were never legally allowed to do any of those things. We could have been fired, sued, ect. This agency assumes they have the legal right to by pass federal laws that protect the privacy of the innocent to collect a debt. They have harrassed me, my family and I want it stopped. I am fully prepared to file legal complaints with the FCC, FTC, justice Dept, Police, and Dept of Civil Liberties as my rights were violated in thier obtaining my phone numbers illegaly and without my consent. It isn't my debt, I have told them the party they desire does not live with me, yet they continue to harrass me. Further if this continues I am also prepared to turn this over to the Huffington Post, as I have a friend who is one of thier top writers. I am sure the negative PR and connections linking them to congress and senate, with names listed, (that took money for thier campaigns), isn't something they want listed. But I am prepared to do so. The fact nothing has been done to go after this agency leads me to believe I am correct. Must I go over your heads to out these people? I don't think Obama wants this kind of bad PR. Not a threat fellas, I am going to make sure Huffpo does the mother of all exposees on this one. Either go after them or I am.

exie Jun 16, 2009

I dont know where to start. This is a debt for you kid, who is adult aged? Debt collectors use skip tracing sources to obtain telephone numbers of debtors, relatives, nearbys, employments, etc. this is perfectly legal under FDCPA. now, if they call your home, you can request they no longer call you. I would also send them a cert letter so you have receipt of that request. If they continue to call after said receipt, then you have a case to sue for harassment.

Also, if they disclose this debt, which i am assuming is not yours, to you, then they again are breaking FDCPA. Per Fair Debt, anyone can sue a debt collector for damages.

If it were me I would tell my little debtor child to contact these folks and make arrangements to pay their bill. I would make sure they did it and also make sure the agency remove all ocntact info from their records. Which should be included in your cert mail to them.

If these activites continue, I would hire an attorney to address possible suit, and get a settlement.

The Huff.Post threat is ridiculous.

• Cr
    cruisepuppy7452a Jun 16, 2009

Number one, I use to work for collection agencies, and I know what IS legal and what isn't. They are clearly breaking the law. My kids are adults, and I in no way co signed anything, ergo, am not legally responsible for thier debts. I have asked the company to stop calling and they ignore my requests. I made it clear, they do not live with me, have no land line and must be reached via snail mail. Nothing, the calls to me continue. The address given is a fake so I have no means to contact thier company to send a cease and desist from MY atty.
    You assume my kids didn't pay or try to pay. I personally made payments to this company, which clearly someone cashed. Thier comments of they didn't pay, or attempt to pay, when they have been, are bogus. The company refused payment, also illegal.
    Look, when a company refuses to state what legal agency they are from, refuse to state what Bar they belong to, it sends up red flags. Impersonating anyone in the justice dept, law offices, ect is a felony. Nobody wants to stop them WHY? My huff po idea not only is smart, it will wake them the hell up. People read Huff PO. If people see thier names linked to this agency, its a bad sign. Its a last resort if they dont take our lawyers seriously. Make no mistake, no collection agency I know of is allowed to get by with the stuff they have pulled. No agency is above the law. Ever hear of fair practice? or Fair Collection practices? Hello, they totally are ignoring these. Not just with our case, but evidently with others as well. This is why I say someone is allowing this to happen. Someone is looking the other way on this and its illegal, its also collusion.
    They have no rights harrassing me, None. They are playing with fire here.

exie Jun 16, 2009

You also originally said they are claiming they are from the legal department, not a law office as you try to deflect criticism. You claim your kids have no phone. Poppeycock! Everyone has access to a phone, cell, home, friends, work or other. Take the advice given or dont but dont try to come back and rip someone for great advice!

If you know the law why are you posting at all? Sue for damages. you claim the debt is now paid, prove it! have your kid take some responsibility instead of shoving his/her head under the sand.

Post on Huff, who gives a rip. That liberal garbage is a joke.

exie Jun 16, 2009

and it is the 'fair debt collections practice act, ' at least get that right.

• Ji
    jingo Jun 16, 2009

that huffington post place is odd, ive never seen so many gay men and ### women posting in one place.
    And alot of talk about wanting to limit people's speech and stuff. 1 star would not visit again

• Ge
    genieoh Jun 20, 2009

I don't expect to understand all the details of what's going on, however I will say that NCO is one of the worst collection agencies I have ever dealt with. Most of the agents I've spoken with are rude and obnoxious, yelling and interrupting. They often times won't even let you speak. I've had to deal with them over the years as they get our local hospital collections. They refuse to bill insurance. They have even tried to tell me my insurance was expired when it wasn't. As for payments by mail, some of the addresses you find for them are invalid. I have had them returned undeliverable. I even had a payment they did recieve that was filed but never opened.(someone just shoved the envelope into a filing cabinet) It took months to find it. The best advice I can give to get them to stop calling you is stop giving them what they want, and don't let them think you are an asset to them. As long as they think messages will get through or they will get payment---they will keep calling you. My best success in getting rid of someone else's bill collectors is to tell the bill collector that the person owe's you too, then start giving the bill collector messages to deliver when they get ahold of them. For instance when a collector began calling looking for my ex-husband I told them very firmly that when they get ahold of him they need to let him know he's 12 years behind on his child support!!! I havn't heard from them since.

exie Jun 20, 2009

genieoh, dont get into collections and you wont have to deal with them. doi!

NCO Collection agencyDid not pay creditor!

I paid the entire amount owed to NCO and they have failed to pay American Express. Now I have American Express harassing me and NCO refuses to call me back, but when I did talked to them they admitted that I did pay and would get in touch with American Express... this was in August of 2007.

• Sc
    Scott Johnson Dec 30, 2007

How about getting NCO to give you a paid letter? Or you can forward your proof of payment to American Express. That is the only thing that you can do, or have American Express contact NCO.

Pablo

• Co
    Conrad Folkes Feb 01, 2008

I have had and am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM!

NCO contacted me 3 years ago about a PECO bill. I paid them in full. Last June, I was contacted by a completely different collections agency (CBCS) in regards to the same balance! I contacted NCO and they acknowledged my payment in full. They said they would send me a letter of proof that I could provide to CBCS. While waiting for that letter, I contacted CBCS, letting them know the exact matter of the situation.

I am STILL waiting for that letter from NCO. In the meanwhile, I have just received a second letter from CBCS saying that I am still delinquent and when I called CBCS letting them know yet again the situation and how this no longer has to do with me, I am told that it is my fault and I will be reported to the credit agency.

This is messing with my blood pressure and I am a fit person of a mere 26 years of age. THERE HAS TO BE A MORE EFFECTIVE WAY TO STAND UP TO THESE AGENCIES!!!!!

What the hell do I do now?!

• Ju
    Juin Sep 03, 2008

Hi,

I have got a call from this no. they told me to to pay a huge amount. But i refused to do so. Then they abused me alot. Later when I had complained me about them. They apologized me for their abuse. Their more stoies of abuse I have found here http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/collection-agencies/nco-ftc.html

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices