National Reader Service Complaints & Reviews

National Reader Servicestubborness in refusal to cancel my order

I have written to this Complaints Board before, regarding a magazine subscription order that I have been trying to cancel since April. National Reader Service has refused to cancel my subscription for a list of magazines I decided I do not want to receiver or pay for. I even have had my credit card cancelled, in order to keep them from charging me. I called the toll free number late last month, and again at the beginning of this month of June, to tell them I had done these things, and was told it actually had been cancelled. Then I received another letter from them, thanking me for my order, and they hoped they could continue to serve me!! I know they can't charge me any more money from my cancelled credit card, in order to pay for these magazines I cancelled, but they continue to send me information that leads me to believe that they were lying to me, and that they never actually did cancel my order. I never signed a legally binding contract with them, their customer service representatives have told me I could cancel anytime I wanted to, within the 30 days allowed, I cancelled my credit card, and they still tell me conflicting information!!! This National Reader Service is such a RIP-OFF!!! I advise anyone who ever receives a phone call from any of their sales people, DO NOT sign up for this!!! They will not give you a moment's peace!! I am going to continue to bother them with my phone calls, and harass them the way they have done to me. I refuse to let them take my hard-earned money for magazines I DO NOT WANT!!!

1 Response
    • D
      D / Aug 15, 2009

National Readers Service scammed my 19 year old in June 2009. Specific suggestions for dealing with this scam are on my blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com
      Good luck! D/

National Reader ServiceInability to cancel subscriptions

I received a call from a representative of National Reader Service, claiming they put me on their sweepstakes list, and promised me a $500 gas card, if I signed up for a subscription plan to receive magazines for the next 4 years. I never received the gas card, and when I asked about it on the phone, the man told me I would still get it. I was told originally that I would have it sent to me in a matter of 3-5 business days. I first signed up for this, but then had serious second thoughts about the plan and decided to cancel. I called the toll free number I was given by the original representative, but they claimed I wasn't even in their computer system, so I didn't need to cancel. They assured me my information was safe, that I would not receive any of the magazines they were going to bill me for, and I thought the matter was settled. I just received a letter in the mail, telling me that for the next 4 years, I will receive my magazines, for a total of $1, 197.60! I was told that I would never be billed for any of these, since I had decided to cancel the whole thing, but now I get a letter from a woman of the company telling me I will have $49.90 a month taken out of my credit card for these magazines!!! How do I get out of this mess?!!!

6 Responses
      • Su
        Suzette1116 Feb 03, 2010

I was just scammed also!!! The phone number I called is printed on all the documents from different companies. [protected] If you see this number RUN--Tear It Up! Do Not Sign or Give Money! Now I have two accounts and I'm not receiving the one magazine that started this whole mess! They would only cancel one subscription! The other I am liable to pay for another 24 months. I've called my bank and put a stop to all of this nonsense scam! Now to move forward and contact the BBB. As Julie above, this is just the first step! Just the beginning of a long battle.

samspade Nov 24, 2009

I was just scamed as well.Hook lina and sinker.I have canceled my debit card, , and will call them..

• Ju
        Julie Sep 01, 2009

Right on, Michelle!! I admit I was scammed by this so-called National Reader Service a few months ago, and just a month and a half ago, finally had this mess resolved! For over a month I called this 'service' for over a month, telling them I wanted to cancel my subscriptions. I kept getting told that my name and info. weren't in their computer system, and therefore I could not cancel my order. I had 30 days to do so, and I called them repeatedly during these 30 days, only to be given the same run-around. They claimed they never did charge me for the magazines I ordered, because they couldn't find any of my info. in their computers, but my credit card statement told me otherwise, that they had already taken that first payment out. SUCH LIARS!! I went through my credit card company, as well as my bank, and they fought with me, and for me, and finally got the good news that I no longer was going to have to pay them, nor would I receive any of the magazines, because the dispute dept. of my credit card company made them cancel my order. The money was credited back to my account. They must have been successful, because I no longer get any of those charges on my credit card statement, nor do I get any of the magazines.
        Keep on fighting, until you get the money they swindled you out of!!! DO NOT GIVE UP!!! I wish you success in your battle. I will also tell anyone and everyone I know, not to fall for these scam artists, nor to give up any of their money to these people! I had to learn this the hard way, but eventually I won out against these people, so you can too!!

• Mi
        Michelle H Sep 01, 2009

National reader service is the SAME(and also fake) company as International reader svc. I put in a call to the VA beach consumer protection agency who told me that was a fake name, the real name of the company is International Marketing Association Inc. I found out they are also not based in VA beach, a call center they contracted to do their dirty work is what's based in VA beach. I recommend filing a complaint with the VA beach consumer protection agency, as it gets forwarded to the actual company from the call center. The only way I've discovered to actually cancel is to cancel your card. A supervisor "cancelled" my subscription(after an hour of arguing), in august, now Sept. 1st 2009 I was charged again. You will not find any info on this company online because technically National reader and international reader don't exsist.
        Also, in a letter you should receive in the mail it does say you have 3(or 7.. whatever) to cancel, but after that it says you can cancel ANYTIME with no penalty. My husband and I had to quote this text to the woman twice and she still tried to argue. The letter clearly states that you are not under contract and it is not an extension of credit or anything. You are NOT locked in! Don't let them tell you that you are, if they don't have your hand written signature you are SAFE!
        I also asked my bank to alert people who might be debited under the same "company" that this company is scamming, and not to authorize it, so your welcome to Bank of America people! I recommend everyone do the same at their bank/credit union.
        I will continue fighting until I receive ALL the money they have taken. My husband is in the united states military and I will stop at nothing to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone. I encourage everyone to fight with everything they have, while i know that may not be much, but anything helps!

• D
        D / Aug 15, 2009

Good luck! D/

• Nu
        nurlond Jun 03, 2009

I too called the number they gave me and was told I was not in the system. I was promised the $500 gas card and they said they are mailing it tomorrow, along with all the information on the magazines.

They assured me that I have 3 days upon receiving the magazine information to cancel. After seeing all the information on the internet about this horrible company, I will cancel ASAP! I will change credit card numbers if they don't cancel me and will contact a lawyer.

National Reader Service — SCAM

I received an anonymous phone call telling me about this wonderful deal - I would get 5 magazines a month for...

National Reader Service — fed up

i got a telephone call about two years ago from a solicitor trying to sell me some subscriptions to...

National Reader Servicephone calls

I have received calls informing me I've been entered or have won a prize in the sweepstakes and when I tell the phone rep "no thank you" I get hung up on. No thank you for your time or any reply, just a disconnect. I have been in customer service for over 20 years and this is not how it should be handled! When I get that type of service (non-service) it only causes me to say no for future offers and I let other people know how I was treated.

1 Response
        • En
          enigma.facade Oct 12, 2009

national reader service has attempted to scam money from me under the guise of "visa cardmember rewards". they said i was being rewarded for having my visa for a cetain period of time, and proceeded to read me my card number, adress, d.o.b., etc. first of all, i have no idea how they got this information, as i have never done business with them before. secondly, they attempted to charge me for 2 partner services, again unrequested. i contacted the company, spoke with a manager, and made it clear i would pursue legal action if any charges were made to my account, and demanded to be removed from any call lists ( i am also on the national no call list, lot of good that has done me!) this most recent call informed me that i had successfuly reconciled my account, and was being called to assure delivery was being made on my magazines, again none of which i had requested. this company has a horrible reputation, and is nothing more than a scam. i have reported them to the b.b.b. and colorado state attorney, as well as the fcc for the no call violation. if you are contacted by this company, HANG UP IMMEDIATELY OR BE SCAMMED!