Mercantila.com Complaints & Reviews

Mercantila.comStay away from this one

Placed order on December 30th. One week later and after several e-mails and phone calls, I still do not have any shipping/tracking information. They charged my credit card the very same day the order was placed. Their customer service department seems to be based offshore, probably India or Pakistan. Stay away from this company. They have a great web site, very nice and professional looking. I purchased an inversion table from one of their daughter companies, http://www.inversion-table-direct.com. I am disputing the charges with the credit card company. They operate several other companies, all going back to mercantila.com, beware, stay away from this one.

• Wa
    Walter Aug 05, 2009

2 weeks after placing order, was told that no ship-date could be determined.
    Cancelled order, was told 3 days needed to process cancellation. Still have not received confirmation.
    Do not eeven thisnk about ordering from this outfit dba Trampoline Superstore.

• Ri
    Rivvi Jan 26, 2010

This company will not contact you or will lie to you about following up on your missing merchandise. I have reported my experience to law enforcement and stop payment, vendor dispute with credit card company. Mercantila apparently is a labyrinth of DBAs including: The Internet Superstore, DriveSPEED Designs, The Brown Box, Red Carpet Shopping and who knows what else. Do yourself a big favor and do not buy from this entity.

Mercantila Feb 03, 2010

Hello Rivvi,

My name is Kelly. I oversee Customer Service at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with Mercantila. I know you are frustrated, and I wish your concern had been resolved satisfactorily in a more timely manner.

I'm truly sorry that you've had a bad experience with Mercantila, but I'd love a chance to hear about what went wrong with your order so that I can prevent it from happening to other customers. If you would, please reply back to [email protected] with any information you wish to provide, and I'll do whatever I can to help resolve or address your concerns.

More broadly, I am working with my team to make many changes to improve our customer experience. Our priorities are ensuring we ship all products on-time, responding to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center, and providing our agents with better tools and training so they can assist customers with problems like yours much more quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of me and my entire team. We take your feedback very much to heart, and we are doing everything possible to ensure this does not happen again.

• Ba
    Bareven Apr 12, 2010

I ordered a bunk bed from Mercantila. The wood was damaged. After hearing all that required I fixed this myself. The bunkbed was to come with 2 free mattresses of which I only recieved one. Many phone calls and e-mails later I was given the run-around. The second mattress has never arrived, and i am sure never will. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD!

• Pa
    Parigo Apr 13, 2010

Buyer beware is an understatement. this business are total crooks and dont get me started on the customer service staff. they lie to get you off their line. they dont return calls and they hold your money hostage and never deliver the goods. worst experience ever. DO NOT I REAPEAT DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS OR ANY OTHER SITE RAN BY MERCANTILA THEY ARE CROOKED..!!!

• Ab
    Abxazz May 06, 2010

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY I tried to buy equipment from this company. I placed an order for over $3, 000.00. I was told it would be shipped in 7-10 days. No problem right? Wrong. I was told after 10 days that they can no longer get this product and I could have a refund of my money. It has been 37 days and I still do not have my money. This is the worst company I have ever seen. I will never do business with these people again!!!

• La
    Lawrine Jul 07, 2010

I placed an order for a table costing me over $500. I never heard regarding shipping. I called 3 different times. Finally they told me it wasn't in stock and they would refund my money. To this day, it has not been refunded. Luckily I put it on my Amex. Amex will take care of it for me. Bad customer service. Hard to get through to a billing department. Very disappointed. Won't order from them again.

mazzdjohn Oct 07, 2011

Home bar purchased online and received it with cracked granite top. replacement effort is in its5th Month and I was told it would not be replaced before Jan 25, 2010. Correspondence is not answered, totally frustrating to contact them. I will NEVER buy anything from these folks again nor do I receommend anyone go through what I have in dealing with this company.

Mercantila.comMerchantila has been the worst customer service experience i have ever been through

Merchantila has been the worst customer service experience i have ever been through. first, their website advertised a table & chair set as "in stock". yet after 1 week of waiting we only rec'd a table and was told "the chairs were being delivered seperately". that was a lie. a week later we were finally told that the chairs were discontinued and that they could not get us them. i was furious at the fact that: 1) they advertised the set was "in stock" and 2) they would only ship the table knowing they had no chairs! we have tried many call to merchantilar trying to return the table. however, we have not received a response from merchantila and our calls go to people who say "they can not help me". reading reviews here, i am not alone. what a horrible company! if you buy something from them, pray it is is descent shape or you are out of luck!!!

Mercantila Mar 12, 2010

Hello Akremmo,

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution and confirmation of your cancellation. If you would please reply back to [email protected] I will personally ensure that your refund is completed and your issues are resolved.

Kelly

Mercantila.com — Scam artists!!

I ordered two "Oakland Living Mississippi Bar Stool Set of 2 - Fast FREE FedEx Shipping!" at a...

Mercantila.comFraudulent / Scam

I ordered a "Schwinn 203 Recumbert Bike" for $376.01 from them in late December, 2008. At that time I was told the bike would ship on January 15th, 2009. After not receiving any shipping information by January 16th, I checked their web site and found the shipping date had been pushed out to February 2nd, 2009. Bare in mind that Mercantila had not contacted me about the delay. At that point I wrote to their customer service department and received the following response on January 21st, 2009...5 days later.

Hello,

We apologize for the delay, but the item that you ordered has been placed on back order. Currently the estimated date for shipping is February 2. As soon as the item ships we will forward you the shipping information.

To help fix this situation, we have switched your order to ship directly from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer has already confirmed your order and has reserved a unit for you. As soon as the item arrives at their warehouse, it will ship directly from the manufacturer -- this will save several days on overall delivery time. We will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure prompt shipment as soon as the item is restocked.

We will continue to keep you informed throughout the shipping process. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us through the order status page and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

We appreciate your patience with this matter and apologize for the inconvenience,

Regards,
Sal
Mercantila Customer Service
AL1985AL
***************************************

Ok, so it appeared as though "Sal" was taking appropriate action, but when I didn't receive any shipping information by February 3rd, I wrote him again and received the following response on February 6th, 2009...3 days later.

Hello,

We are digging into this matter right now. We are sorry that it has taken this long to get back to you on this issue. This has been escalated to a priority issue and we would like to apologize for the lack of communication. Moving forward we assure you that we will keep you apprised of the situation.

We are working with the manufacturer and the shipping company to discover the location of your item. Any information that we receive at this point, we will pass along to you right away.

If you have any questions you can contact us through the order status page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience with us while we work through this matter, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Sal
Mercantila Customer Service
AL1985AL
***************************************

In this letter "Sal" says he'll keep me "apprised of the situation", so I waited an additional 5 days, but he never got back to me. So on February 11th, 2009 I called Mercantila at [protected] and canceled my order. The girl on the phone told me she was expediting my cancellation and said it would take a "maximum" of 48 hours for them to receive my money back from the manufacture. She went on to say that once that money was received, it would take a "maximum" of 48 hours for them to transfer the money back into my account. That being said, I should have received my money no later then February 17th, 2009...but I have yet to see a dime.

Mercantila Nov 30, 2009

Hello Wobbly Goblin,

• Mg
    mgaughan Mar 12, 2010

I could not help wondering if the customer service person "Sal" is the same person as my e-mail customer service person or if they all go by the name of "Sal".

I feel your pain.

Mercantila.comFRAUD/ABUSE

This company simply DOES NOT CARE about you, the consumer. All they want is to take your money. Once they've got it, if you have any problems, oh boy, are you in for some fun. They will either take one of two courses: 1) ignore you, or 2) tell you lies to placate you as long as possible, and then revert to course #1.

My story is a long one, and I don't want to put people off by giving all of the ridiculous details. In a nutshell, I ordered a platform bed, and when it arrived, both the headboard & footboard were cracked. Between calling & e-mailing, I contacted Mercantila at least 30 times over a 3 month period. The company basically refused to refund my money, at first by telling me lies (we've scheduled a pick-up for the item - this LIE was told to me TWICE, and both times, no pick-up occurred), and then by ignoring me (my customer service rep basically stopped responding to all calls & e-mails once I called her out on her lies).

In the meantime, I had filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and had disputed the credit card charge with my bank. My money was refunded by my credit card shortly after the complaint was received. Also, once my BBB complaint reached Steve Burman, VP of Ops, they FINALLY stopped ignoring me and actually picked up the damaged item and refunded my money.

Literally the MOST AGGRAVATING EXPERIENCE of my entire life. Absolutely not worth it, and I will NEVER shop with them again. In fact, I have made it a point to tell anyone who will listen NOT TO SHOP WITH MERCANTILA.

Check out other customer reviews:

• Be
    Beest Feb 02, 2010

There are not enough words in the English language (or any language for that matter) to decribe how horrible Mercantila is. My total order was over $2000.00 and was purchased in late November. My order arrived in separate pieces on December 28th. One of my curios arrived damaged and to date I have logged over 63 emails (that's one per day) and over 100 hours on the phone (just on hold!) I have received ONE, and only one, reply email - which did nothing to help me, and have NEVER, not ONCE, spoken to a real person. I have been transferred into full voicemail boxes, hung up on, and been on hold listening to elevator music until the battery in my cordless phone died. I still have a broken curio in my dining room, and the charges are currently being disputed with my credit card company. Mercantila has caused me more stress than I ever thought was possible, and I am out over $2000.00. I wish I would have done more research before clicking the "confirm order" button. Buyer beware!!

Mercantila Feb 03, 2010

Hello Beest,

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution on the damaged shipment. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate your order, so if you would please reply back to [email protected] I will personally ensure that your issues are resolved.

Sartanste Jun 08, 2010

We had the worst experience trying to order a kid's bed from mercantila. Horrible customer service. We constantly had to phone them to track our order that was three weeks later after our two year old's birthday. When it finally came they botched the delivery and only sent half the bed. They then made us pick up the delivery charge which was over $100. We ended up spending $131 on a bed we never received. Multiple follow ups to customer service have been ignored.

DO NOT ORDER FROM MERCANTILA! We will go back to Amazon for all of our online shopping.

• Sh
    Shameforthem Jul 06, 2010

I wish the experience with Mercantila was postive. I placed an order for 2 sets of Full over Full Bunk beds. I explained to Mercantila phone rep I MUST have delivery by Oct 15th for a weekend hunting event. I asked for FEDEX, the Mercantila phone rep told me the only delivery option for these itmes was a trucking line. Because I questioned using a trucking line for expedited delivery, the phone rep called the warehouse before I placed the order to ensure they could deliver by Oct 15. I was told the latest delivery date would be Oct 14th. On Oct 14th, I rec'd an email stating "Good news, the order from Mercantila had shipped, " and I could expect to receive it in "2-9 days." This was NOT "good news."

Since Mercantila prefers customer contact via emails, I sent 2 emails to my phone rep. No response. I finally called to find out why the order was shipping 10 days after the order was placed, no one had an answer. I am extremely disappointed. Since I don't have the order yet, I can only hope everything will arrive in order.

FYI - On the same day, Oct 5, I also ordered 3 sets of Twin size bunk beds from Wal-mart and everything was delivered by FEDEX as promised.

• Dd
    ddrewh Aug 03, 2011

YOU HAVE 15 MINUTES, THAT'S RIGHT, THEIR CANCELLATION POLICY STATES THAT YOU HAVE 15 MINUTES TO CANCEL YOUR ORDER. ORDERED A COMPUTER DESK AT 2PM ON SUNDAY AND TRIED TO CANCEL AT 9:15 AM ON MONDAY, ALL TO NO AVAIL! NOW I HAVE TO PAY FOR 25% RESTOCKING AND SHIPPING BOTH WAYS, FOR A $240 LOSS ON A DESK I DON'T WANT. WILL NEVER, NEVER ORDER FROM THIS SHADY, UNETHICAL COMPANY AGAIN!

• Ri
    risher1234 Sep 14, 2011

I am a major shopper on-line and this company has the worst service in the world. Do not, I repeat, do not buy anything from them. Their customer service people are not allowed to tell you anything other than what you see on your computer. No one is empowered to make a decision and forget trying to talk to a manager, they don't allow it. Read the other reviews on line about this company and beware. Save yourself the hassle and buy it elsewhere. If you have a question you wait on the phone for sometimes 30-45 minutes. They encourage you to use e-mail but you are not allowed to send them mail unless you agree to their return policy. I tried to cancel my order and they tried to tell me it shipped giving me a UPS Tracking Number. I contacted UPS. They used the number for billing but did not ship my order for several more days. They try and get you on their 25% return policy fee. I think that is how they make their money.

• Sw
    swwags Nov 18, 2011

I purchased a pool table lamp and when it arrived, i cut open the box to check for damage. Be aware that they recommend you open the package on arrival to check for damage. Once you do, you will be charged the 25% restocking fee and shipping both ways. Also, the package was plain cardboard with no indication of the product. The only thing printed on it was the word "Glass" which of course it wasn't.

To my surprise, the lampshades were metal, meaning light could not pass through, only down. Since I needed to also light the room, this wasn't the product for me. I called to return it. Price paid $265 - less their restocking fee for opening the clear tape - less shipping both ways = $127 returned to me. If you have any chance of returning the item - buy from someone who doesn't take half your money when you return.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices