MBNA MasterCard Complaints & Reviews

MBNA MasterCardHorrible company, horrible customer service

This is THE worst credit card company I have ever dealt with! I made a payment in error to an account that had been closed for 3 months. It was very obvious that it was a mistake, but instead of calling me, they applied the payment to another credit card without asking me first. They refuse to refund me the payment. They are rude, disrespectful and of no help at all! Their customer service is just TERRIBLE! DON'T APPLY FOR THEIR CARDS unless you want unecessary headaches. They are dishonest and grab any money they can from their customers. Will pay everything off and close all cards with them.

• Ga
    gatortracks Jul 20, 2012

They handled it correctly. You should thank them instead of complaining.

Resolved MBNA MasterCardTravel Insurance

I was billed for Travel Insurance, which was never
requested or authorized by me. Spoke to Customer
service rep. about previous paid balance, $500.00 CDN
was charged on my MBNA account without knowledge
since the amount due wasn't itemized with any detail.

I also never revieved any policy number for these
travel insurance policies. Nor did I ever request
or concent to such a service, as claimed by the
sales rep. at MBNA Canada.

I was billed once again, but managed to cancel the
next charge. When I request a refund from
the previous payment, I was told that MBNA does
not process refunds from the previous year. I have
forwarded a written complaint to the ombudsman
in regards to this experiance. I trust this matter
may help other credit card customers.

• Pr
    Privaste Mar 02, 2009

Yes, I also had a bad experiance with MBNA
    I decided to get another credit card through
    the bank that I do business with. I will avoid
    doing business with MBNA Mastercard.
    Thanks for your posting!

• Ri
    rippedoff Mar 24, 2009

I also had travel insurance charged to my MBNA Mastercard that I had not requested. I phoned MBNA and asked them to remove the charge which they did. The agent I spoke with claimed to have no knowledge of this practice. I don't believe this type of activity is legal and I am cancelling my card since I have no idea if charges similar to this will appear on my card again. Fortunately we caught this or MBNA would have gotten away with theft.

• Re
    Rebeca Furtado Jun 29, 2009

I kept receiving these calls from MBNA offering me a travel insurance and asking me if they could send me a package. Those calls were bothering me a lot because I work from home and many times they would call while I was in a conf call and they kept beeping my line. After sometime, and I gave up and agreed in receiving the package, but ONLY because it was FREE. As I didn't need any travel insurance and the package contained a bunch of pages to read, I simply got rid of it by shreading it. A year later I noticed I was charged 151 dollars for that!!!What???? I called them up and was told I had to call them to cancel and because I didn't do that, now I have to pay. The person refused to cancel and said I have to wait until next year for another package in order to call and cancel. Is this stuff legal in Canada? I feel like I've been robbed.

MBNA MasterCardCatch even the most diligent payees with usary late fees!

MBNA's FLOATING DUE DATE has one purpose, and one purpose only. Catch even the most diligent payees with usary late fees!

I have been an MBNA MasterCard holder for over 20 years. As I got older and wiser, I got rid of all of my credit cards except for this one card. I use it when I can't use an ATM or I think I might want to return the item and want the leverage of using a credit card.

I have a monthly payment made through my Bill payment (online) service on the 16th of each month because I was told it was due on the 21st. This worked fine until this month when I saw a $39 late fee charged to my account. I called and got a very annoying fellow that told me that MBNAs due dates are FLOATING, meaning that they are different each and every month, depending on the number of days in the month. Waiving the fee was totally out of the question he said since "the due date is clearly stated on each bill". Since I have the funds to pay whenever they want, I asked when I should pay their bill to ensure that I don't get the late payment. I was told by one operator that if if paid by the 14th instead of the 16th I shouldn't have any late charges, but that they could only suggest the date and couldn't guarantee it. So I tried their supervisor and he said the 10th of the month 'should' get it to them in time, but still no guarantees. So I asked if I could send in the payment a month in advance since it isn't the money that's the issue, it's the timing. I was told that if I sent it in too soon I not only wouldn't save the late fee, but that it might get applied to the principle and not to the monthly payment... so not only would I get a late fee, bu tI might also have to pay the monthly minimum again as well.