MBNA Complaints & Reviews

MBNAClosing my account after 13 years

I closed my account with MBNA this morning 13 years after receiving my card. For the first time over those years I had gone over my limit due to a double bill for college fees.

I was unaware of this until my card was refused as nobody from MBNA contacted me. I paid over €6, 000 of a €7, 000 bill but was one day late paying the remaining €1, 000. and was charged interest on the full amount. Last week I rang customer service and spoke to a very helpful lady who said that as I was such a good customer who had always paid promptly she was sure that a degree of accommodation could be made and that she would pass the inquiry on to her manager and I should get a reply with 48 hours.There was no further contact so I rang back this morning and spoke to a lady called Theresa who was also polite and helpful and she transfered me to her manager, David. I explained my situation truthfully and in full and was informed that they were a business. I believe that it quite obvious and did not need to be pointed out to me. He said that he was out last week so that's why nobody returned my call.His attitude was dismissive and he seemed irritated by my call. I work with the public myself all day and if one of my staff behaved as this man did I would ask HR to send him on a refresher course on dealing with the public.

It was very disappointing and I will no longer recommend the company to clients. All those years of paying in full and on time and he didn't even offer to make the smallest allowance, instead he told me that the late fee will stand plus interest on the interest.

Respond

MBNAMBNA needs to review its customer service

I was informed by MBNA America that if I did not use the mailing envelope provided from them that it would take 10 extra days to process my payments.

That would make my payment late.

I hardly ever used the envelopes and know when I looked at my history for them I am always late.

This increases my interest owed and messes up my credit rating.

I also am waiting for a response from the phone calls and letters that I have sent them with canceled checks regarding a payment I sent.

MBNALoan sharks

Taken out a credit card from mbna -virgin at 0% interest 15 months after this was supposed to go to 16.9%. They decided to make the rate 34.9%. After my letter to them reduced it to 24.9%. Went to the financial ombudsman but a waste of time. They are still advertising this rate but I fell we are being discriminated by them and tricking people by offering them a rate then altering it just when they feel like it. I have never known an interest rate like they are charging only seen this before on a store card.

Respond

MBNAHarassed, accused me of lying

I cashed in my RRSP's to pay off debts - had 3 deaths in family & lost my job - got behind. MBNA was the only company that would not accept a settlement, so I have been paying $75.00 per pay. Even when I paid the amount agreed upon, I still got AT LEAST 1 call each & every day - sometimes on the weekends as well. Each time, I explained what I was doing to a new person, trying to stay calm and being as nice as I possibly could be. On the other hand, for the most part, I found the people I spoke to at MBNA to be aggressive, argumentative and demeaning. I finally spoke to a man 2 weeks ago by the name of Graham Fox at [protected], ext. 10493. Graham listened to everything I said, and said he was going to submit an arrangement to pay out the existing outstanding amount - $1800.00 - in 3 parts - 3 payments. He said he would email me at work. I waited and waited - no call back, only my daily calls harassing me as usual. I called almost every day & left messages - spoke to different people every day - they said they left email messages for Graham - but still not call back. Finally, last night when I arrived home from work, I received a message from Graham, saying that the settlement had been accepted, and I was to call him back. I called him today from work - saying I had $600.00 - 1/3 of the settlement - and he said he had not agreed to 3 payments - only 1 lump sum of $1800.00. I asked him if he remembered our conversation and he said that he had only agreed upon a settlement of $1800.00 all in one lump sum. I don't like being called a liar, and I am very sick of being harassed. Please please, get back to me..I am very upset about this entire situation, and refuse to be treated less than human. I deal with the public all day, and I would lose my job if I treated people the way I have been treated.

9 Responses
          • Ij
            ijames1234 Dec 05, 2009

If one stops paying credit card bills, you would be surprised how long it takes CC companies to get paid...play fair and they will royally shaft you. Play tough and they back off...but I mean really tough, or simply, 'oh, Mr X doesn't live here anymore, goodbye'.

• De
            Debora Skillern Tumlinson May 29, 2017

@ijames1234 Correct, I had the same problem with SallieMae, and I played it really tough, and they backed off.

• Pe
            Peaceandlove Oct 02, 2009

MBNA and BOA are also vile ambassadors for USA according to their actions in the UK consumer lending market.

Jacques Yves Aug 25, 2009

And you sound like an antagonistic ### attacking the victim's misfortunes when he is trying to resolve an issue beyond his control by unethical harassment. Sounds like you work for MBNA or some turnstile collections role, takes a real reptile like you to do that and justify the tyranny.

• Dl
            dlakers Aug 22, 2009

I think what you need to check is your brain as you just put your card number on the internet.

• De
            Debora Skillern Tumlinson May 29, 2017

@dlakers Your a [censor], of the first order, and you need to check your attitude and look for your humanity.

• Me
            Melissa L Aug 22, 2009

Well if this is a real card, you're going to have to call and cancel this account and get a new one. Why would you post this on the internet, what makes you think people on a complaints board would help you in authenticating a credit card? This was just a stupid move on your part! If this is a real card, hopefully no one tries to use it to charge stuff!

marinep33 Aug 22, 2009

checking on the authenticity of MBNA Visacard No. [protected]

• Th
            The Golden Boy Mar 26, 2009

This sounds like a typical response from a person who has gotten themself in to financial hardhip and wants to blame anyone else they can. Here is someone who overspent on a credit card and now is complaining about not haveing to pay it all back??? Sure times are "tough, " but only as bad as you set them up to be. Maybe time to have a look in the mirror.

MBNAmember of staff

I was told i could make a token payment on my card as i have lost my job, but when i tried to make a payment i was told i had to pay 3x more than i wanted to, other wise my account could go to a collection agency. I told the woman that i was not told this and if she kept pressurising me into the extra payment that i would not be able to get any food for this week. She then told me to calm down but incisted that i would need to pay the extra but i could only pay my token payment, i also asked for the manager and she said that she was, when i asked to speak to another one she became very defencive and told me that there is not one available but they would ring me back later.

MBNAThey keep calling

My husband doesn't keep a running balance, and MBNA Canada calls at least twice a day, every day to offer him some stupid service. Being a stay-home mom, I'm the one who has to deal with the phone ringing all the time. Finally, I've had enough. Here's how the latest conversation went:

Them: May I speak to (hubby's name), please?

Me: No, he's out of town until the end of the month.

Them: Okay, well it's just a courtesy call on behalf of MBNA Canada. It's not urgent.

Me: Well if it's not urgent then why do you people call more than once a day, every day? It's very annoying. I have a baby at home and every time you call, it wakes him from his naps. Don't you make notes in your files of how often you call a person?

Them: I understand what you're saying, ma'am...

Me: (laughing) No, obviously you don't.

Them: (silence) I'll make a note of it and call back some other time then.

Me: Well hopefully it won't be for awhile since he's not here to take your calls anyway. Save yourself some time and don't bother. *click*

A little rude/short of me? Maybe. I don't care. Will it work? Tomorrow is a new day. And today isn't over yet.

1 Response
              • St
                stuart rhind Jul 30, 2008

Hi,
                I was due £2500 on my mbna credit card. two days ago i looked at my account online and it stated i was £1900 in credit so i decided to spend some of it. two days later i went online again to look at my balance and its now saying i am due what i was before (£2500) except a little more because i have spent some of the so called £1900 credit that they said i had. so now im due about £3500. My account said they received payment then a few days later said it was unpiad. they mislead my to think i had credit when i didnt and i was wandering if i can do anything about this as it was there mistake that seems to have cost me big?
                Thanks