Mayan Resorts Complaints & Reviews

Mayan ResortsTime Share sales scam

I was also ripped off. But instead of complaining and reading other complaints how do we "FIX" this. I'm not a lawyer but there must be a way to put a stop to this obvious scam company. They use lies and deception to make their sales and grossly misrepresent their deals. I would be willing to join others in some type of class action suit against these thieves. Is there anyone out there with the no-how to get this done? I would take much pleasure in shutting them down. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!

• St
    Steve Shimek Jan 20, 2008

My wife and I visited the Grupo Mayan Palace resort in Puerto Penasco Mexico in October of 2007. We were given a timeshare presentation, kept there for six hours and when we were finally told the presentation was over and we would be taken back to our car, two other men who were suppose to be checking us out of the presentation told us they could give us the same deal we were just offered for a fraction of the cost but good for ten years only. They told us we would receive ten years worth of vacation certificates good anywhere in the world with thousands of destinations to choose from. All we were interested in was coming back to Puerto Penasco each year. He told us we could use the vacation certificates to do that if we wanted. The transaction was charged to a Bank of America credit card, which the salesman opened for us. We received the vacation certificates by mail a few weeks later and everything the salesman told us was a lie. The certificates all expired with in five years instead of the ten that was promised and none of the certificates can be used in Puerto Penasco (we looked it up on the Great Vacations Club website), which is the only place we wanted to vacation at. We contacted GVC and Bank of America who seems to be working with these theives, to no avail. The Grupo Mayan Palace and Great Vacations Club are Cheats, Theives and Liars and we were defrauded by them. Bank of America has been given proof of their scam and refuses to credit back the fraudulent charge.

Mary Rockhold Jul 17, 2008

In searching the 'net, I found that Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP has filed a class action suit against the Mayan Resorts. However, it appears that HSI is not named in the suit.

I don't know much about class action suits, but would sure like to join if it covers HSI--thinking--it covers Mayan's selling practices--huum. Any comments?

• Gi
    Gin Nov 17, 2008

I just want to say how LUCKY i am for not buying those useless timeshares. My fiancee and I were in Rocky Point this past weekend, and had the misfortune of running into those Mayan Palace Reps. who pretty much told us the same bs they have told everyone (if u read above and beyond). We said no like 20 times, and they would not let us leave. Not only that, but since the first time we met they wanted to keep our credit cards, and run a credit application for a loan to purchase the time shares. After saying no, then they started of by saying things like " this is a one time opportunity, " "think about your children's future, because you will have xtra money for them to go to college", "U are going to regret this"...and on...just guilt trips. So, after 5 hours we were very upset and just stood up and walked out of the place. Luckily there were a couple of vans heading back to the city so we just went with them. At first is does sound like a good investment to make, but the more they talk, and the more they make it sound really too good, then you start to wonder. Just dont do it. There are certainly much better things to invest on than timeshares. Im just glad i found this page, i hope there could be some way to stop these criminals.

• Gonzalez & Gonzalez Law Firm Jun 30, 2009

Hi Diane and Cristina,
    We would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to contact you and clarify your issues with our firm, as the personnel for Gonzalez & Gonzalez is highly trained and supervised; and we can assure you that none of our customers have been attacked in any way.
    Looking through the files and data base of our company we do not show any record under the name of ¨Diane Jersey¨ and/or ¨Cristine ----¨, who are the people complaining and defaming against the firm.
    After 15 years of experience we knew some day this will happen, being conscious of this we back up ourselves by recording every incoming and outgoing telephone call.
    In case of the existence of a recorded conversation with you under another name, we would like to expose it to the internet community to prove the opposite of the complaints made on June 30th against Gonzalez & Gonzalez to discard the fact that the post was exposed by our competitors or from the timeshare developers full of frustration by our advocacy and success on the resolution of the cases handled at Gonzalez & Gonzalez.
    Also, Gonzalez and Gonzalez has never charged such exaggerated retainer fees, we have a long list of satisfied customers who support our firm, with identifications to validate their existence and able to show their satisfaction by the success in the resolution of their cases.
    Gonzalez & Gonzalez counts with ample evidence, to show the Internet community and guarantee that there is no existence of this type of situation in our firm.
    Respectfully,
    Jose Gonzalez

• Jg
    J. Gonzalez May 05, 2010

If you have been involved in a timeshare scam in Mexico, check out these articles:

• So
    Sophie M Jun 25, 2013

The resort itself seems very nice, the sales pitch, however, is pure high-pressure sales. The sales people are snakes, their only motive is greed. They have no concern for what is ethical and will “brow beat” you to make their money. It was not worth the free breakfast and $50.00 dinner coupon. When I finally got up to walk away from the table, Luis got in my face and began to argue with me, telling me I couldn’t leave until he said the presentation was over. I continued to walk away as I raised my voice at him. You would think that that would be the end of it, but they will continue to pass you to the next person for a “survey” which turns into another sales pitch…these people are shameless. If you agree to attend the 90 minute presentation you will regret it. Search online for Mayan Palace Timeshare Scams for other “horror stories”. I recommend you to read this article about Mayan Palace:

Mayan Resorts — Time Share scam!

Avoid Mayan Resorts Time Shares and Vacations... The Better Business Bureau states this company has an...

Mayan ResortsMayan Palace timeshare salesmen have lied to all of us!

Mayan Group is staffed by sleaze. My family was talked into a presentation on a saturday, told it would be 90 minutes long. 90 minutes later we were told it was 90 minutes from that point. We has to leave because we were due to transfer hotels at noon. They asked us to reschedule the next morning. When told that we were leaving the country Sunday they asked us to fit them in in the morning. When we arrived after a 30 minute cab ride from our hotel they stalled us a good while, then promising breakfast and a chance for my sick 5 year old to ride their on site train, they walked us around the back to the cab area. Once there the worm told my son that the train was broken (he had seen it running not 3 minutes before) and without even allowing us to purchase food, let alone giving us the breakfast they promised, they hustled us into a cab. Turns out that they didn't want to do the presentation because we were leaving that night. This in spite of the fact that they knew the day before. My son was so hungry he cried the whole cab ride back. I hope those ### burn in hell!

• Valerie Nov 29, 2006

While my friends and I were on vacation in Acapulco, Mexico on October 2nd of this year, I attended a timeshare presentation. After a few hours of a " sales pitch" I decided not to purchase. Before I could leave I had to be interviewed by someone to be sure that I was treated properly by the salesman. At that point, a man named Carlos Ruiz, introduced me to a "vacation package" that included 12 weeks at the Mayan Resorts, 10 weeks at resorts in the US and Europe, and an Alaskan Cruise. The cost was $4870 and $349 for my vacations at the Mayan Resorts for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. The other vacations were $ 199 for the same type condos.The cruise was $399 per person and a free airline ticket to the west coast. I was told all of the details would be sent to me in 3 weeks. I decided to purchase, however after thinking it over during the evening, I returned the next day to cancel. I was told that if I canceled, I would lose my down payment, which was my entire purchase price. I was then introduced to Martin Cavanaugh, the resort manager, who also refused to cancel my purchase.

After not hearing from the Great Vacations Club for one month, I called to inquire as to my package, which included the details of my purchase. I was told that I would be sent my package in the near future; however they provided me with an access number to visit the site.

Here is where the nightmare begins! There was virtually no availability, and the prices promised were nowhere to be found. The actual prices were not $349 as promised, but between $800 to $1200! The availability issued was discussed at the time of purchase and I was told by Mr. Cavanaugh that the language of "subject to availability" was necessary in case "during the peak seasons everyone wanted the same week". He promised that if I traveled in "off peak seasons" that I would never have a problem with accommodation. He lied on all accounts! There is no time when the units promised, at the prices promised, are available!

To anyone reading this, don't be fooled by the beauty of the resorts! Although they are wonderful, the GREAT VACATIONS CLUB IS A GREAT RIP OFF !!!

Joseph Catenaro

• Valerie Jan 22, 2007

Lying for the purpose of monetary gain is by definition fraud. Fernando, a salesmen with Mayan Resorts, lied to me and my wife. The purpose of his lies was to induce us to sign a contract, which we did. He lied by telling us that we had to waive our 5-day right to change our minds. Under Mexican law that right can't be waived. A shell game kept that waiver we signed from the papers included with our contract. For good reason. Such a waiver is illegal and would be proof of fraudulent sales practices. Fernando also told us that we had to agree to a 2-year no-sale of our purchase. He leaned back, looked me in the eye, rolled his two index fingers and said: "No flipping." The idea, of course, was that our deal was so valuable we could return to the U.S. and sell it for much more than what we were paying. That provision also did not show up in our agreement papers. Another shell game. Fernando also told us that we could rent what we bought for $1,200 or more per week, this for a no-bedroom agreement. He knew that to be untrue, another fraudulent sales lie. Fernando told us that we could sell our purchase anytime after the aforementioned two years for much more than we paid for it. Another misstatement he knew to be untrue. Another lie, another fraud. We know the difference between puffery and lies. Simon, the point man on the street for Mayan Resorts in Cabo San Lucas called the Mayan Resorts opportunity the "deal of the century." I gave him my best askance look. He laughed and said well maybe the "best deal of the year." Puffery I can accept. Lies I can't. Our agreement with Mayan Resorts was built on lies and therefore is illegal and fraudulent. We have demanded the return of the down payment and refuse to pay the remainder of the fraudulent, illegal contract.

• Je
    Jerry Nettik Mar 02, 2007

Complain to Profeco, the Mexican consumer affairs. Details on doing this are here:

Remember ORG not COM for the web site. Lots have fallen for this SCAM including myself.

• Ti
    Tim Aug 02, 2007

(Second post, as I try to correct typo such as resource and more detail..)
    - First, I much say to thank very and very much to all of you that posted your story in this web-site. My story likely the same as Jason at Mayan Resorts in Puerto Vallarta and Joseph Catenaro in Acapulco but my location is in Cabo San Lucas, Mayan Resorts.

- I just got a trip in Cabo San Lucas on July 2007, and like other tourists in Mexico and got trapped and attended Mayan Resorts timeshare...After I get out of all sells person in upstairs and walk down to the first floor; and then a local guy from Great Vacation Club (GVC) asking for a survey why I don't buy, and then he offered a packet with 6,900 with free a trip in Cancun, free air ticket, no pay an RCI exchange... at that time, he said as if he work for Mayan Resorts what he said " it is a direct time share with Mayan Resorts not like these other sell person up stair, they will be kicked out of here in 8 months as they sell high price time share, 60 % of the money timeshare is paid to them and only 40% will go Mayan Resorts” and I keep asking him about the membership and bargain down… then he offered discounted to $4,000... keep bargain how much the price can go down… and final price is $2,000 after subtracting an offer a trip to Cancun, free air ticket... I was spent there almost 6 hours with beat up with pressured on my mind, with no lunch, got headache and feel like hallucination. They handed out a form for me to initial and sign on the bottom of the contract. But when I look quickly over the contact, it is not exactly what they said, and I talked to a lady I could not sign it, then other guy gave me only 30 seconds to make decision on it. I still see something inconsistent in their words but somehow, I still like to buy it, since a packet upstairs from $ 49,000, down to $33,000... $11,000... $9,900 and now from down stair due direct with GVC with the price $6,900... $4,000..., $2,900 and final price is $2,000. but I still have a question in my mind ‘too good to be true’.

- Finally, I don't know why I did say ‘NO’ firmly at that time and walk out of the door without saying any words. As their promised, they give me back money for taxi, gift… at the front office.

- When I am back to California, I'm still thinking about buying it or not. And don't even know if it is scam or not because they gave me back money for taxi, gift and even cash back at front office. I made my decision to search on internet and found out many great helpful stories on this website and other website. Finally find out the true of sale GROUPS at Mayan Resorts in Mexico. Again, Thank very much for all of you had posted your stories and shared it to everyone. God bless you all.

• Ca
    Carlos P Jan 11, 2008

I have a question. I was con by Mayan Resorts as well and was wondering what would happen if we dont pay the remaining balance in our contract. At this time we have put down 15000 down payment on credit card which we are trying to get back from BoA which issued the card but dont see much hope to get that back. We were told all of the same lies as everyone else but and now see it as a lesson learned got f'd in the ### situation. I am now hoping that i can at least not pay the remending balance and not have any concequences since the contract was signed in mexico and in the contract it said that mexican law oversees it. I know they have offices in Texas which is what concerns me as far as them trying to get money here in the US or ruin our credit.

• Am
    Ambrose Huffington Feb 10, 2008

HOW TO GET OUT OF A CONTRACT

If you are within your 5 day period from when you signed (5 [U]Business Days[/U] just like it would be in the U.S.) you are lucky.

Backing out now is easy but you have to do it right. In early February of 2008 we got out of our contract by first calling the US consulate. They referred us to the Puerto Vallarta office of Profeco. Profeco is the Mexican consumer protection office and is the very best way to get yourself out. (Ask around where the office is. Many people don't know anything about it.)

If you follow the directions on your contract and return to Mayan with all your papers saying you wish to back out you will be immediately put into their 'plan B' and will be re-sold or "re-packaged" down to a less expensive deal. If that's what you want fine, but if you want to get out and don't want to subject yourself to any more of their psychologically tested and proven sales techniques (which we find immoral and just plain wrong -manipulating human beings like that with fatigue, hunger and just plain lies) then just go to a Profeco office.

The one we went to was out by the airport near Sam's Club in a little strip mall. The time-share people HATE when you do this. It takes away their ability to re-sell you. Profeco prepares and gives you the rescind letter for the contract you signed and the time share people must sign it without further games. If they don't they are in big trouble with Profeco. Mayan had to credit our credit card right there on the spot for the money they had debited as down payment.

In the future something may happen where these very powerful and wealthy landowners in Mexico may be able to neuter Profeco. If they do here's hoping your own country's consulate may be able to guide you how to get out of your deal.

The problem with all this is these TS people have to use these high pressure techniques to take whatever they can from you. There is no "set price" for anything. They will get what they can. For us it was simply seeing what these same units we'd paid many thousands of dollars for were going on eBay for about 1/4 to 1/5 of that price. We also found that renting, trading down and all the rest of the pretty picture they painted was not as easy or lucrative as they implied.

Best of luck to you and I hope this is of help to you. If you are beyond your 5 days I do not know the answer but would start with your consulate for guidance.

• Cl
    claudia Jan 28, 2009

i too got sucker to go to a presentation in cancun mayan resort.when i got there i was told 90 minutes but as you all know that is a lie.it ended up being four hours later.the salesman i had was training his brother so he was tagging along to see how it went. i already own a timeshere and they kept asking me if i wanted to trade it in and i repeatedly kept saying no but for some reason they were not listening . they finally brought another man to be the manager and he tried to offer me supposeably a better offer and i also told him no.being a young female and going with another female friend i ended being threatened to get thrown in jail because i told him i did not want to buy and it has been four hours and i was ending the presentation.the manager did not let me get up my seat so i had to send my friend to get someone higher than him which he finally let me go.after he got up one of the two brothers asked me if i was still interested and i said no!they finally let me go downstairs to get my gift supposeably. when i went down stairs i told the lady what happened cause i was crying and she asked if i wanted to file a complaint and i said yes.she then called the director and i let him know what happened and he said he was going to fire him but in the same sentence if i would like to buy a smaller package. i then realized he did not care and just wanted to make a sale! i asked for my taxi and then he said this is not where to go to get it that i had to go to another place for that.after going to another room i finallywas able to get my taxi and ran in to two families that had problems getting their gifts too.never again will i go to one again!!!right when i came home i went to the web so i can contact the mayan but there is no way of contacting them! i wonder why!!!

• Jg
    J. Gonzalez May 05, 2010

It´s a shame that this type of situations happens. Before signing your contract, assure you to read and understand all and each one of the points written in the contract. DO NOT sign your contract if you don’t find any of the verbal promises offered by the salesman. ASSURE you find all of them in written in your contract.

I recommend you to read this article, hope this helps.

Jane78 Jun 19, 2013

Most of the Mayan Palace Timeshare Scams being committed by the Sales representative is that they don’t let their buyers know they have a 5 days cooling period if they wish to cancel; instead, they repeatedly tell they buyers once the contract is being sign there is no cancellation period. The sales representative also offers a trade-In, letting the buyer believe that Mayan Palace is going to take their other timeshare and sell them for them and deducting the cost of their new timeshare with Mayan Palace, but at the end you end up owning two timeshares and payments due for Mayan Palace turning it into in a double scam. This is a good article about Mayan Palace:

Mayan ResortsI am pissed!

I am 64 and went to Puerto Vallarta the week of September 24th as a guest of my cousin. We rrived late Sunday night (flight delays)so verything was closed when we got there. Monday morning our irst day going to breakfast we were ttacked by the Myan representatives. After one hour of no nonsense conversation I walked out I was starving. The rep. said we could have reakfast on him if we listened to thee presentation. After three hours I walked out. Friday morning I was hit again. I told the rep. I needed to talk with my daughter on this and was told this price would not be offered again and I needed to sign up today. Dumb me left a check for 4,170.00. I told them once I got home and spoke with my daughter could I call and cancel I was told NO and I WOULD NOT GET MY MONEY BACK. We made several calls when I returned but none was returned to myself or my daughter. Yet Mayan palace's accounting department called after 2 days to remind me of my balance due. After goin in circles for a week I found out I had five days to cancel.
I am pissed. SCAM . I am 64 on a fixed income and have been taken.

chris Mar 02, 2008

You never waive your right to cancel. they want you to think you did.

• Gonzalez & Gonzalez Law Firm Jun 30, 2009

Hi Diane and Cristine,
    Respectfully,
    Jose Gonzalez

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices