MAGELLAN Complaints & Reviews

MAGELLANCan't buy a replacement battery

I have a magellan roadmate 1200 GPS that has a dead battery. I contacted magellan customer service to try and purchase a battery. They told me that they did not offer this battery and what I should do is send in my old unit for a newer version or a refurbished unit at a reduced price to me. To me this sounds like another scam to get more money out of the consumer, there was nothing wrong with the unit except a dead battery that wouldn't accept a charge. Just to protect other consumers, I suggest that you do some research on the product your intending to buy, and find out if you can purchase repairable parts, at the very least a battery.

• Be
    Beth K. Mantalis Feb 05, 2008

There are so many GPS manufacturers out there. Do yourself a favor and never, never, ever buy a Magellan product. Customer service is horrific.

• Mi
    mickcollins5 Mar 23, 2009

Please do not purchase the Magellan Maestro 4370. I had mine for 3 months and the LCD display failed. Magellan informed me that it was my fault, however the unit has had the best of care. Just squeezing the unit will kill it. Its the last Magellan product I will ever buy, and I suggest you avoid also!

• Da
    David Aug 29, 2010

We have had issues since we bought the unit. Maps are not current. Unit frezzes and now the unit won't turn on because the DC port is loose and we have to hold the unit at an angle to connect it. It's about 1 yr old and we paid close to $170 for this.

• Mr
    mr pike Feb 28, 2011

my magellan 1430 just recently just gave out after 16 months ..unbelievable . i will never buy another magellan product ever again . now i can see the light ...future shop doesn't sell magellan any more ..case closed

• Mr
    mr pike Feb 28, 2011

magellan is a piss poor product

MAGELLANMaestro 4250

5 weeks ago I purchased a Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS. I assumed that as a new unit it would have current maps. Just to be certain I checked online for updates after purchasing it. After using it for several weeks I kept noticing how incredibly inaccurate the streets were so I went back online to look for updates or answers. What I found is that there was an update with the maps that should have been loaded when I purchased my "new" gps. However to get the updated maps I have to pay an additional $80. I emailed and called and both email support and their "customer loyalty program" confirmed that if I wanted current maps that should have been included on my new gps I had to fork out an additional $80.

In this instance the joke is on Magellan. I purchased this unit and several others (for use at my place of work) from a retailer with a 90 day no questions asked return policy. So happens is I am going take this unit back where it came from for a full refund and purchase a GPS from a more upstanding manufacturer. And then I am going to return the rest of the units that my employer purchased and replace them as well.

I fully understand that maps come from a third party and the GPS manufacturer has to pay for them however it is more than reasonable to expect a new unit to include current maps. The fact that Magellan was so shifty about trying to get me to pay to update a new unit means that I will make certain that my company doesnt purchase magellan products for the fleet vehicles anymore. I take sadisfaction in that.

MAGELLANNEVER buy Magellan!!! You've been warned!!!

GPS unit still under warranty, and I called for a repair request on 11.13.07, I was advised by someone in India that a replacement unit would be shipped in 7-10 days. I called one week later to get a tracking number--was told the number was not available because the unit had not been shipped. After NUMEROUS calls, spending an average of 30 minutes per call on hold so that the rep could practice reading a script before coming back on the phone, I STILL have not received any satisfaction from the company.

I have been lied to, misled, promised and promised, even given a "Confirmation #" because a tracking number was not available. I asked what the confirmation number was for--response: "It's confirmation that we have had this conversation." Hell, I'm taking my own notes. Magellan's CSR idiots can't even pronounce their own American-ized stage/phone names correctly.

I've faxed and called corporate . . . no response. Next steps: filing complaints with California Consumer Affairs, etc.

At this point, do I expect satisfaction from Magellan? I will be surprised if they come through as promised. However, I plan to NEVER purchase any other Magellan products, and I'll advise others that they, too, have been warned.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices