Idearc Media Complaints & Reviews

Idearc Mediaover charge

Rep called and wanted to know if I wanted to advertise again. I said yes, as long as I can keep the same price otherwise I wanted to stop.He agreed everything was to be the same for the year. I get my first bill and its double of what i agreed to. My wife called to drop the ads and they informed her it was too late. This is the 2nd time in 3 years they have messed up my account. The first year they put me under cabinet refacing. I do bathtub and countertop refinishing. I will never advertise with this company again.

Idearc Mar 10, 2010

Brief Complaint Description:

Idearc MediaWill not cancel and stop charging

The day I received my first email congratulating me on becoming a member I replied to tell them I want to cancel and not be charged for anything. I then Received a bill the next month. I immediately called them and explained I canceled, faxed them the printed email and they said it was canceled and not to worry about the charges. I HAD TO DO THIS OVER AND OVER FOR 4 MONTHS. The last time I called they now told me I canceled only the internet and not the mailers, when I did. They said it was a whole nother account that I did not cancel. They then opened a claim. Which I have not heard from. I have now called over 10 times talking to many people, who I have documented. I would NEVER EVER recommend Idearc Media or Superpages.com to anyone. This is the biggest hoax I have ever seen. DO NOT WORK WITH THEM. You will be SORRY.

Idearc Dec 18, 2009

We are never pleased when one of our clients is unhappy. Please give me the opportunity to review your issue. I promise someone will get back to you within 48 hours with an update. Please provide me with the following information and email back to me at: [email protected]Idearc.com

rexs Feb 23, 2010

I am sorry that you are not happy with superpages.com. I was looking online and found a website called seekshallfind.com. I went to the website and found that your business can have an ebillboard for FREE. I was talking to my friend Mike. He told me that he has a ebillboard and likes it.

Idearc MediaAdvertising Scam

Hello, my name is Brian Todd Nichols and I own Harpeth Cleaning Services in Nashville Tennessee. About a year ago a sales rep from Idearc Media called me, he also said were are affiliated with super pages and somebody else. He was an American sounding person and presented an offer to list my website on all these different search engines under specific key words. He stated over and over that I was under no obligation whatsoever to sign up for anything. We went through the counties I actually clean in and other details of what I would get. The package he offered would probably cost $500.00 to $1000.00 a month to get from a local advertiser. He said they could do it so cost effectively because they bought key words in bulk from Google, yahoo, and so on. He first quoted me $242.00 then came down to $119.00. I'm telling this to you this way for a reason so please bare with me. He asked if he could do provide this service for that amount would I agree to it. I told him I don't agree to anything without seeing it first and getting a written guarantee. He then said he would mail out a package for my review and if I liked it, I could send it back signed guaranteeing me that price for a year. By the way, at the beginning of the call he told me the entire call was being recorded for my protection. He played a robot operator who asked me questions then I would confirm, things like my company name, my full name, and so on. I told him the deal sounded too good to be true but I would look over whatever he sent me. He asked if I would say I agreed to the monthly price for a year if everything was as he promised, assuring me the whole time that I'm under no obligation. I told him that I was not agreeing to anything that wasn't a written and signed contract between us both. He said absolutely that I would have to sign a contract that was already signed by him and send or fax one copy back to him.
Well, the only thing I got from them was the first of many bills a month later. I called them and asked why I received a bill and they said I had verbally signed up for their program which is a lie. They even cursed at me, I thought it was a joke until the harassing phone calls, letters, threats to my credit and everything else started. I called them back again and they said they had a recording of me agreeing to the terms and a contract, but it would take ten working days to get it from a third party. Finally they called me and played a tape that had a guy’s voice on it that sounded like he was from India, not the American and the complete tape had been altered. Either he or the robot would ask if I authorize this program, then they spliced my voice in saying "yes" into the tape. The whole tape had been altered to make it sound like I had agreed to their scam. As they ask questions you can hear my voice saying ok, yes, right, and so on. The whole part of the tape where the original sales rep was assuring me that I'm under no obligation and I have to sign a written contract and send it back is missing from the tape altogether they are now playing for me. They pulled specific words out of my earlier conversation that was originally with an American salesman. I see why it took ten working days to get the tape from a third party, it took that long to re-master the recording. When I told the guy Kevin on the phone the whole tape is a fraud he just said take it up with our legal department. He would only give me their address, he said he doesn't have their phone or fax number, yeah right. The only thing he did say was that he could cancel it for the next year so it wouldn't auto renew. He gave me a confirmation code but I doubt this people will ever stop. Simply put, they are evil. They will do anything for money. I hope this will help prevent someone else from being tormented by Idearc Media. I am an epileptic and have lost sleep, been stressed out, and even had a seizure because of the lack of sleep thanks to these people. Of course, they don't care about any of their victims. Thanks for listening, Brian Todd Nichols - cancellation number [protected] Kevin [protected] Adam Perez said the account was canceled October 3, 2009 due to non – payment. Code 313 8699 but the bill keeps going up!

• El
    Elaine Edford Mar 30, 2009

Idearc never informed me that my advertising was being automatically renewed in the Verizon Yellow Pages. I was never sent a renewal contract/form nor never called to let me know that
    my advertising was being renewed against my wishes. When I called, not only could they not tell me who my sales rep was, they informed me that I was now responsible for another year of advertising I did not want. When I complained about this, I was told that my account would be put into collections if I did not pay, and the person on the phone promptly hung up on me. I called back and got a second person on the phone who also could not tell me who was responsible for my account, could not even find any of my company's information, refused to talk to me about the situation. They started yelling at me, telling me once again I would be put into collections. Once again, my call was cut off. I can't believe that Verizon actually employs a company like this to do their yellow pages advertising.

Idearc Jun 02, 2009

We are never pleased when one of our clients is unhappy. I have reviewed your account, and see that there was a resolution on your acct dated 4/13/2009 & you were adjusted 100% for the renewed advertising.
    Any other issues, please contact client care at 800 446-9639

Patrickrawls Jun 13, 2009

i filed a civil claim against Idearc Media LLC/Jennifer L. Swann. The case number is SC11C0013202 It would be nice if you could send a letter to Justice of the Peace Precinct 1, Place 1, Judge Dale Gorczynski, 7300 N. Shepherd, room 138, Houston, Texas 77091-2437 and give your experiences with this company and their tactics. I have gone to his court before and know he will read the letters and have an understanding on the complaints.

Idearc Dec 11, 2009

I work for Idearc and we are opening up a case to address this issue - you should be hearing back from one of our CC rep's within 7-14 business days.

Idearc MediaScam

I have read many reviews of Idearc/Superpages.com from many angry customers that feel that have been ripped off,

but have not really read any solid explanations of why Idearc/Superpages.com is a rip off.

My name is Lisa, I work for the company in Everett, WA and have done the research to know why. It is my hope that by divulging

the truth someone will be able to use the information to take action against this company. I've made a lot

of money selling worthless advertising and this is my attempt to make it right.

First off, it's important to know that Idearc/Superpages.com employs a very specific sales tactic that they

refer to as "Salesology." This is the very basis of all training and as an employee of the company, if you do

not follow this method, you will be repromanded. Salesology is taught to all employees by Jay Hughes

(www.salesologyonline.com). Utilizing this sales method, most customers don't even realize that they just purchased

advertising. Here's how it works:

1) A Business receives a cold call and they are asked if it's "a bad time."

2) Rep tells them that "We have people in your area looking for (fill in blank) in your area, are you

currently taking on more work/new customers?"

3) Then we ask how much more work they can handle and how much they make per job. Multiply the amount of work by

the profit per job and that's their gap. Let's say an Electrical Contractor averages $500 per job and can take on

10 more of those per month. "So, if I were able to help you close that $5000 gap per month in your business,

would it be fair to ask for $500 on the back-end in return?"

4) Customer says "of course."

5) Almost no explanation is given on how we are going to get them this promised work. We get GTI

(General telemarketing international) on the phone who records the customer agreeing to a 12-month

contract. They are told we're doing this "To enter them into our database." Most people have no idea

what just happened, but this is 100% legally binding. Our only goal is to get them through GTI.

In the initial training, they state we're to find the gaps in small to medium sized businesses and help

them grow. The funny thing is that no matter what state their business is in, no matter what they sell, how

much they make per sale...it's all the same. The soloution to every business is a minimum $500/month program to

meet their objectives. They don't really encourage anyone to sell over a $500/month plan because that

requires a signed contract in lieu of a GTI recording. If you sell less than $500 you're scoffed at, even if the

business doesn't need it.

So, what does a business get for $500/month? We are told to tell businesses that we are selling "SuperLeads."

However, these are nothing more than clicks with a theoretical conversion rate. Their collateral even shows how

this works. So, for $500 worth of SuperLeads a business will get 125 clicks with the minimum of $4/click (some

categories are more). They state that, on average, for every 5 clicks, a customer will actually make a call

to the business. $500 should then relate to 25 calls in a month. Again, this is how we are trained and this

is what the collateral we can send out states.

If the above actually worked, then it wouldn't be a bad deal. However, most businesses will not get any calls

for their $500 per month. Why? Most (at least 90%) of these clicks aren't even from SuperPages.com, Google, Yahoo

or anything you've ever heard of. They are from obscure partner sites that pull out a single keyword from the

business and get the needed clicks to bill out $500. As an example, let's say a kitchen contractor installs sinks.

Let's say someone googles "sink holes." A few wrong clicks and the contractor is out $4. Again, at least 90%

of these clicks have nothing to do with what a business does. The customer doesn't have any access to

these click reports, and there are no audits done to ensure it's actually working at all. The fact is that

most sales are made to oversaturated markets where businesses will not get any return on their

investments. We can sell to the same type of business in the same cities as much as we want and tell everyone

"we have people looking for your services." In all actuality, Superpgaes.com gets little traffic, and if a business

gets even one call per month for $500 they are doing better than average.

Next, is there click fraud going on? (i.e. the company clicking on it's own ads to turn a profit.) I'm not 100%

sure here. We used to be able to see the IP addresses that were clicking on the ads, but not any more.

In the past, I did random sample searches to cross reference the IP addresses by location and a large amount

of the IP addresses were not even in the same state as the busnisses. Many of these IP addresses seemed to

track back to where Idearc has physical offices. I have asked many times if I click on someone's ad from work, will

they be charged a click and have always been told no. I'm not so sure about that.

We also sell postcard mailers. When these came out I was excited to sell something that actually works. We are

told to tell customers they can expect a 0.5% - 2.0% return of them. I've heard of a few businesses getting

work from these, but I also know of businesses that have sent out 10, 000 cards (at $5000) with zero return.

The artwork on these is generally poor, as they have the sales reps do the basic design and ad copy for

them with very little training. It's mostly a joke to see just how bad they come out. Many contractors have

actually gotten in trouble from the State because License numbers have to be on their ads. This also is not audited.

• ................ Nov 25, 2009

I would like to counter this, and I will leave my name anonymous as I am a current Media consultant for the company and have been for many years.

First, I am aware of the person filing this. She was fired due to lack of performance in completing her daily resposibilities as a consultant.

The process she talks of above is quite skewed and is the way that Lisa would try to sell a client. We have fired people in the past if fraudulent sales practices are found, such as the examples that Lisa provides. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE HERE FROM THE TRUE MEDIA CONSULTANTS!!

Key points:

- We offer the Super Guranantee: http://www.superpages.com/superguarantee/

- Yellow Page SEO ranking: http://www.localseoguide.com/iyp-seo-rankings-report-2009/

IF YOU WISH TO SPEAK TO A QUALIFIED MEDIA CONSULTANT OR THEIR MANAGER, CALL THE I-CARE DEPARTMENT AND THEY WILL GET YOU TO SOMEONE. 866-478-2611.

Idearc MediaThe Truth About Idearc

of money selling worthless advertising and this is my attempt to make it right.

advertising. Here's how it works:

1) A Business receives a cold call and they are asked if it's "a bad time."
currently taking on more work/new customers?"
would it be fair to ask for $500 on the back-end in return?"
4) Customer says "of course."

business doesn't need it.

is what the collateral we can send out states.

gets even one call per month for $500 they are doing better than average.

audited.

If you are a victim of Idearc and ICare won't make it right, you may want to call my Manager, Joe D., at
[protected]. If he won't help you, call his Boss, Dan C., at [protected]. Hopefully, they will let you
out of your contract.

Good Luck!!!

• Ex
    ExIdearc Dec 11, 2009

I just recently left Idearc's Chicago office and I have never been associated with a company with less sales integrity or ethics.

I have read so many complaints on the web about their practices, and the phrases all ring familiar: We have people looking for your services, can you handle more business, we don't work with just anyone, we need to make sure you are qualified to work with our company, I have clients asking for your services, etc, etc, etc, and all lies.

I am not going to say the product is bad, but the sales process devised by Jay Hughes is ramp with dishonesty. It relies on finding the dumbest business owner out there, sharing as little information as possible, and selling you something without you ever really knowing what you are buying.

The truth is that Idearc has no clients. It doesn't have anyone coming to them asking for services. Idearc is taking the Google, Yahoo, MSN and Bing users and appropriating them as clients and misrepresenting who they are, what they want and why they are there. Actually, those users being on Google has nothing to do with Idearc. It would be like me asking a sandwich shop to pay me $500 so I can write their name on a sign so I can stand on the street corner and show all "my clients" who drive and walk by. Bull.

Idearc is concerned with the sale and getting your money, nothing else. They have taken the sales hunter mentality and taken it to a new and pathetic low. The CEO, Scott Klein, showed the national sales staff a video a few months back of a lion stalking, chasing, pouncing and killing a zebra. Then he smiling said, "that's is how I want my sales team to perform". I get it, sales people are the lions. But that makes the clients the victims to be killed, devoured, and left to the buzzards. I was shocked.

Later in the broadcast, he spoke with several sales people about their best practices. At one point, he blurted what he liked to tell clients when he was selling, I don't remember what he said, but it was a blatant lie meant to move the potential client in a certain direction. So if the CEO is comfortable with lies what does that tell you about the entire organization?

Like, Lisa, I worked as a sales person at Idearc, and all I can say is stay away. If a salesperson mentions Idearc, SuperPages, or starts to use the sale process Lisa laid out, throw the person out or hang up. You will actually be doing them a favor, because the quicker you say NO the faster they can move on to find a victim.

rexs Mar 02, 2010

I am sorry that you are not happy with superpages. I was looking online and found a website that a business can a ebillboard for FREE. Just go to seekshallfind.com. I was talking to my friend Mike He has a ebillboard and likes it.

• Cj
    cjspitfirre Jun 25, 2012

The pay per click only gets you on the first page. They do have more strinent requirements when you advertise pay per click, but their free listings are not monitered at all. Any company can put whatever they want on their free listed. I was told that they do not have the manpower to monitor free listings. I was told that supermedia/idearc media is no longer a part of Verizon, however when you get a phone # from Verizon, you are entitled to a free listing on superpages.com and the phone book. Aparently they are in partnership wth one another, what ever that means. There are so many scamers in my business, it's almost impossible for the legal/ledgimate business' to remain in business. I am fed up with this practice and when i figure out exactly what to do. I plan on taking action, legal action. I even contacted the C.E.O. of idearmedia and he blew me off.

Idearc MediaBIG TIME SCAM!!!

If you do business with this company "YOU WILL GET BURNED'. I am an owner of a small business and was contacted by this company and lied to.
I never authorized any contract or billing cycle. Now I am being billed $500.00 a month for nothing. There appears to be no way out of this and it is my problem
for answering my phone and speaking to a rep. Calling billing/cust service to resolve this and save whats left of my company is futile. The people who answer the phones are trained to put up quite the fight and will argue with you to the end. There is no possibility of justice to resolve this very bad situation. WHY IS THIS COMPANY TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING THROUGH THESE DIFFICULT TIMES??
THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN NOW!!!

Idearc Oct 14, 2009

• Po
    POOLRITE Jan 27, 2010

I am going through the same thing. I was told it would be a one time charge of 249 per mailing of which I agreed on two. Now I find out it is in fact 6000.o0 . To make matters worse the cards were not right on my business name and what my business does.

• Al
    Al White Mar 26, 2010

My wife and I were sold on the idea we would pay $220 per quarter becuase the mailing would occur then and we would pay per billing for 1 year. Now due to their inflated billing we now owe $11, 000 and $8000 for each business.

The collection agencies are calling and refusing to discuss any terms. Also my D&B business rating has taken a hit due to these people.

Any one game for a class action lawsuit?

Alfred White
    Lockwood Tax
    713-635-7882

Idearc MediaBilling

My husband passed away 7/6/09. I took over paying the bills at this time. He owned a small company in which he was the sole employee. When the bill came from Idearc for his Yellow pages ad, I wrote on it that he was deceased. The following month I received another bill. Since then I have sent a letter and an original Death Certificate to the address I was told. After almost 2 months of sending the letter, they have denied forgiveness of the bill, my account was turned over to a collection agency, and they keep billing me instead of closing the account until this is settled. All of the different companies, agencies and such that I've had to deal with since my husband's death have not given me any problem. Idearc Media is giving me sleepless nights and such aggravation that I do not need to deal with at this time.

Idearc Oct 08, 2009

Idearc MediaPay Per Click

They are a real bad nightmare! Signed up for the Pay Per Click Program in January 09. Advertising Consultant explained program and I liked it. She could not pull up contract when she was here. She e-mailed me contract to sign and send back. I read it and it states something about a $500 monthly management fee. She had explained that there would be a minimum charge each month for clicks which was $500. That meaning if we had only $200 in clicks we would be charged $500. If we got $700 in clicks we would be charged $700. I emailed her back and she responded that what she explained was correct and that the $500 fee is a minimum. I saved a copy of this e-mail. I go ahead and sign and send to her. March the program finally starts and within a few days I get a bill for $500 management fee for March-April. I e-mail her and call her and no response. At this point I hold off on paying until I get it explained. Finally after calling her main office and demanding she speak to me I get her. She states that since it is the first month the charge is $500. Seemed odd but made sense. I paid. Following month I get a bill for the clicks plus the management fee of $500. Now I am really concerned. Try again to get a hold of her and took a few weeks. She said she would look into this. Weeks go buy and no response. I try again to contact her with no results. I call office and demand supervisor. He states he would rather her take care of this. She does call and said she is still looking into this. I send a certified letter to Texas office stating that we are canceling Pay Per Click program, sending a copy to the Advertising Consultant. They receive the letters and the program is still running. I again try to call the rep and states she never got a letter and that she would have to file a case for us to have this stopped. A month goes by and nothing. I try to contact her without success. I file complaint with BBB and Idearc responded by stating we are locked into a one year contract and that they are not willing to end it early and we are responsible for all charges. We have since stopped paying the invoices for charges after May 1st, the date we sent notice to stop the program. We have been with Verizon (now Idearc) for over 7 years and were spending around 24K annually with them. As a consumer we feel this is a slap in our face and they would rather lose us then correct their error. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. They are liars, cowards and hide behind their phones and e-mails after they get that signature. We are turning this over to our legal counsel for review.

Idearc Sep 03, 2009

I work for Idearc and we will address this issue and get back to you withing 7-10 business days.

• Ph
    phillytom Sep 16, 2009

You may not want to read this entire complaint, so let me give you some upfront advice. Don't ever deal with Idearc, and don't even think about giving them your credit card number.

I am dealing with a similar Idearc PPC scam.

We were advertising in their print media for over 15 years. Two years ago, we decided to migrate to more web based advertising, and enrolled in one of their internet services that gave us priority listing on web based yellow page searches. It worked OK.

Last year, we were presented with a PPC plan that was promoted to save us money. the element that I liked was that we had "complete control" over the program's components and how much we wanted to budget for the program. Every month, we were to receive "detailed reports" outlining our traffic and showing how effective the program was working for us. This would all be coordinated by a dedicated Account Manager. I was aware of a $600/mo "management fee". This was scheduled to commence in January, 2009. So far, so good.

I was first contacted by the Account Manager on 1/8/09 to set up the program. I was not available, she left a voicemail, which I returned, left her a voicemail. This was repeated 3 times. In February, by credit card was hit with $1, 600 on charges. This escalated to $2, 100 in March. At this point, I had not had a conversation with our Account Manager. I did not set up any keywords, or search criteria. She did it for me since I "was not avaialable". So much for "complete control". At that point I suspended the program, but was told that I was still liable for the $600/mo "management fee". After all, I did sign a contract.

I never received any "detailed reports". I had to contact the Account Manager (now I had her email) to see what I was being charged for, since the invoices and Credit Card statements were only a line item. My "detailed report" was an excel spreadsheet showing the traffic and Cost Per Click. I also received another one showing our keywords that were chosen for me. Half of the keywords would never be used in our business, but I paid for the clicks associated with them. I saw no lead generation, quoting, or sales activity from this traffic.

I won't go into the process of how I tried to resolve this, but just let me say that Idearc's billing, customer service and administration is set up like the Politburo for a reason. It serves their interests by frustrating the complaint and resolution process.

Needless to say, this has been an expensive, frustrating, time consuming and wasteful experience. Over the years, I estimate tha we have spent over $250, 000. in advertising with Idearc and its predecessors. Since this experience, I have cancelled any remaining future contracts that I have with them. Time will tell if htese requests are honored. There's a reason that this company is in bankruptcy.

Remember... don't deal with Idearc. If one of their reps calls, hang up, close the door, or run away.

Pier 40 Sep 21, 2009

Phillytom: We too have spent close to $250, 000 over the years with them. To have them treat us this way, even when the advertising consultant admitted that this is what they explained to her, which is wrong, is rear poor business. They would rather lose your business than correct their error. We are also canceling any future advertising with them. Of course as Idearc responded to this blog, they lied again and I haven't heard from them. Oh, I'm wrong, I get their collection department each week calling. I basically laugh at them and tell them we are not paying them.

Idearc Sep 22, 2009

Pier 40 Oct 16, 2009

In this thread "Idearc" states they will get back in 7-10 business days and then 48 hours. YA RIGHT!! Smoke and mirrors just like how they sold me this crap. Stay away from them and do your business a big favor and save aggravation and money too!!!

Pier 40 Oct 29, 2009

Well we got a call today and they have credited us the remaining balance and have stopped all future billing. I just wonder why it took so long but we are satisfied that they made good on this.

Idearc MediaBait and Switch Misrepresentation

I placed a print ad in yellow pages in two markets-been a customer for over 20 years. Requested a new service to track calls, signed off on the proof that had my business number listed and they changed the phone number to a non local number in the book. I lost business, got virtually no calls to that number as consumers in my area only call local numbers for electrical services. I have refused to pay the bill, have been haunted by collection agencies-even calling on Christmas day for this $800 charge that I have been disputing since the book came out. I've tried to negotiate with the company, I've written to the corporate president and sent a letter to the MA Attorney General's office all to no avail. I hope that this company gets it just desserts and fails at their restructuring, they are clueless about customer service and support.

Idearc Jun 02, 2009

maryannvencill Aug 28, 2009

Mary Ann Vencill, Realtor, ABR
    804-651-7879 cell phone
    804-746-1332 home office
    Virginia 23111
    804-651-7879
    Call between 10am and 10pm.
    [email protected]
    Brief Complaint Description: Contacted by Rep. for Idearc Media LLC concerning monthly postcard mailers at a quoted price of $40 per thousand to be sent out the first week of each month. Ordered 1 month of 2000 mailers for $80. We would see how the response went [Rep stated" I have another RE agent that has more calls from her postcard mailers each month, than she can handle"]. We concluded our conversation with a verbal agreement that we would do the first month and see how it went [responses] to see how many to order for the next month and if we needed to make any changes to the postcard. THEY FORGOT TO PUT MY TITLE AS A REALTOR ON THE POSTCARD [HUGE OMMISSION]. I never received any calls even though the cards were to my zip, thinking since I grew up and live here, and know most everybody, we would see what everyone thought of the post cards. I called to see why they had not been sent out, three weeks later all they can say is yes they went out, No Proof. No Calls. Bill starts coming in, surprise, now the story is, It was a ONE TIME MAILER FOR $980!! In this RE market that is rediculous. I would NEVER agree to anything like that. Every penny counts right now and with a son in college, you know how very careful Realtors must be with every dime they spend. I have been lied to and now stolen from. I have no where else to turn. I have talked with everyone and their brother concerning this horrifying situation. Now, I read these websites filled with complaints and issues with Idearc Media. Many have a common thread, unethical business practices. You said write and so I did, we will see what happens, and so will everyone else that is following this story. It is my sincere hope that Idearc Media will somehow redeem themselves but I can not help but have serious doubts. Mary Ann Vencill

• Co
    Contractor services Sep 04, 2009

Yes, I got caught in the same trick bag, and never got ONE response to those so called 2000 mailers for what I thought cost only $80. They don't make their TOTAL price clear to you when they get you to sign up. Then I have yet to have them disclose any proof if they were sent and to what zip code they were sent to. I think they are running a mail scam to get customers to pay for a service they don't provide. Seems like they would have some sort of postal receipt for their records to show proof. I just can't fathom how I would NOT recieive ONE call out of 2000, especially with a 10% discount provided with service as noted on the mailer. I simply refuse to pay until provided proof.

• Rp
    rpe Sep 08, 2009

WOW
    same here - trying to start a business and the sales rep did the same thing to my wife - my wife told me that is cost $74.00 for 1000 postcards to go out - I SAID THATS not possible - let me talk to your rep - I did and I asked them this is a one time cost - I even asked how can they afford to do this and she said they are so large they can and they get discounts - she totally scammed us into thinking it cost 74 per drop - we even asked why the recording says monthly and she said that is in case you want a monthly drop or if you need any future drops we have your recording. - total lie - they convinced my wife to do 2 drops - one in April and one in July - it was soo cheap I convince my large company I work for to do this and my boss was like - that is way too cheap and I convinced him so he agreed to do - so I called for my company I work for and set up a drop for them at $110 per drop - again using the same sales rep - this time I did the recording and noticed the recording saying the monthly thing and so i interrupted to stop the recording to find out why it said monthly and again ms Tracy told me it was in case we want monthly drop and it was for future drops - I asked her it will only be a total of 110 for this drop for my company and she said yes - so I did the recording - we did not realize this was a monthly bill for 12 months till my wife got another bill for additional chgs -that's when the scam was unveiled and I quickly cancelled my company drop and tried to cancel my wife's second drop by they told me my wife's drop was too late -----this should have been sold as a cost of $888.00 with 12 monthly installments of $74.00 - what is $74.00 monthly and they never tell you for how many months - makes no sense ---- total scam ------ anyway I will fight this till the ends of the earth - they will only get the original $74.00 they quoted to me and my wife and nothing more -F#$# them - We are law abiding people who pay all our dept but this is a scam and nobody is taking me and my wife for a ride - as far as i am concerned these chgs are bogus and null and void - they can send all the letters and collection agency to me - they will not get a dime from us - we would never have ordered such an expensive thing -

• Da
    Dave at Max Nov 04, 2009

Good Evening,
    Amazing reading this. I have been going around and around with IDEARC Media regarding one of their Internet Service Bundles that comes with a 25 Click per month guarantee. Like many, I signed, not a document, but a laptop screen as the rep told me that they don't have "paper"- everything is automated. I also began working with them on a post card mailer- one time.
    Needless to say, I never received anything from them regarding a contract or even a packet for the service bundle. I reached out to them as I was receiving no clicks on my website. No clicks, no agreement, I called customer service when I started getting bills. They, as I am sure that most of you know, do not know anything about a "guarantee" and tell me they don't guarantee anything. I spent from June to September emailing my rep, the company, and speaking with various collection agencies, all threatening me, even while I was trying to resolve a simple question. YES, I should not have signed something without reading all of the small print in the Terms and Conditions, but I suppose I didn't expect "Verizon" aka IDEARC to be on the cheat.
    At any rate, no clicks registering on my site using Google Analytics, yet they now tell me that there are a handful, I just can't see them on Google Analytics. Also, no responses from the postcards. I asked for verification that they were actually sent out, and they can't show me a list of where they went, but they do show me that they paid the post office a postage fee. I have doubts that what was paid for at the post office represented my 5, 000 piece mailer. I have not paid them as of yet as I have been trying to get resolution to the whole issue. Contacting them is a nightmare, and almost impossible.
    I would be interested if anyone else has begun legal proceedings against this company, the sales associates who represent them, and any successes that you are having. I will be reviewing the case with our attorney in the next week as I have documented every call and maintained every email and response from them.
    The interesting thing is that now they are hounding me for payment, yet back in June, 3 months after I signed an agreement and began receiving invoices, I called them so that I could verify what I was being billed for matched the contract that I signed and had never rec'd. The other interesting thing as you work with these folks is that at each step of the process, different folks have different pieces of the puzzle. It took me 6 months to get a copy of what I needed to do to make the service bundles active, which I rec'd from my rep after I spoke with some VP's "assistant" at Customer Care. She admitted that I should have received it before. I also found it interesting that the info was dated April 09, while I signed my agreement in March 09.
    If you have similar stories or are currently experiencing similar troubles, drop me note. You can't imagine the frustration that this has caused.
    Thanks.
    -dave.
    [email protected]

Idearc MediaHorrible service, billing, false representation

This is a scam operation. What ever you do never sign a contract of any kind with this company. I did and I am still paying for a service which I am not receiving. They have double charged my card for months. They have continued to charge my card for months after I terminated service with them.
I have a successful online company, Idearc assured me that they were the best at search engine PPC management company with a great track record. After they took over my PPC my sales dropped 35% and where I was in the top 5 listed in my category before they took over I dropped to 114th position. When I contacted them about it they said they didn't know why. The rep was terrible, I was doing a much better job of managing my PPC than the rep was. I terminated the campaign with them and went back doing it my self. My sales returned to where they were before they took over and now I am doing 35% more business. I am still paying them $500 a month to do nothing, and they won't let me out of my contract. They bill me every month but provide me absolutely nothing!!! If I hadn't taken my PPC campaign back over when I did after 3 months I would be out of business right now. All said and done signing the contract with them is going to cost me about $15, 000. Lost up in smoke money, all for just a complete nightmare. Oh by the way I got a letter from them the other day, they are filing chapter 11. I am not surprised. I hope this post will save you the trouble of doing business with this company!!!

Idearc Jun 03, 2009

Patrickrawls Jun 13, 2009

Idearc MediaIdearc Media Ripped me off

I had advertising with Idearc Media which was Verizon at the time in 2005. I did not place advertising with them in 2006, yet got billed for it. Also in 2007 I got billed. After three years in december of 2008 I got billed again. Try calling them, I spent 57 mintues on the phone the first time and 37 minutes the next time and 1 hour and 3 minutes the last time that I called them. Avoid advertising with them. Avoid talking to them. Do not do pay per click, print or any other sort of advertising with them. They will get you. They will charge you. They will ruin your credit if you do not pay them, even if you do not have a contract with them. They are a bunch of ###. Idearc sucks.

• Dt
    Dthomp Mar 04, 2009

Received an Idearc Media book at our establishment via: u.p.s. Contacted Idearc Media for info regarding the return of this book. The irony of this delivery is that it belonged to a previous company which resided in our building. Since we have the same phone number, Idearc has employed 3 collection agencies to collect the funds due for this advertising from us. The irony is that our company does not and never has signed or accepted any Idearc Media Contract. The previous company went out of business. I was told from Idearc that since we signed for the "Book" upon arrival at our establishment, we are responsible for the advertisng???? It's not even our company which advertisies. Upon calling and writing letters, I was told it's Company Policy that if the book is delivered to you and you sign for it, you are automatically responsible for the billing. What a load of crap!!! The collection agencies are extremely rude, disgusting and completely illegal in their attempt to collect these funds. Any ideas as to how I can stop these disturbing call?

Idearc Jun 04, 2009

• Jb
    JBizzle Jun 29, 2009

I agree. Idearc media is a scam people! The sales rep KEVIN VO said I could cancel anytime, just talk to him. They will say anything to get you to sign up with them. Do not get suckered into the pay per click ripoff. Idearc was charging me $600 a month and I got zero phone calls. Yes, thats right zero. How do I know, We went out of business in the first 3 months and we ask everyone who calls how they heard of us. We are a construction company, so its not hard to find out where your calls are coming from. Maybe the sales reps are clicking on your ad when they are off work. I had to cancel my credit card because they would not stop billing me. Now they are trying to ruin my credit. They don't care about their clients, disregard the liar above. I have talked to everyone I can over there. They want $800 more dollars for the time we wern't in business. They all will go to hell for what they are doing to honest people. Pretty soon they are going to make the wrong person mad and I'll be clapping.

Idearc MediaUnconscionable billing practice

I signed up for advertising with Yellow pages (IDEARC MEDIA) in 2007. Dissatisfied with the results, I decided not to renew my contract for 2008. Then, I received bills for 2008 advertising. I attempted to contact IDEARC several times to no avail. I finally talked to a costumer relations person who said that he would have a supervisor return my call. I never received a return phone call. Then, I emailed IDEARC, and received a reply email indicating that this was the first time I contacted them regarding this issue! I sent letters and have received no response. Finally, I talked to another representative who informed me that I signed a contract in 2007 stating that IDEARC can renew my contract any year at their discretion without confirming with me! I was outraged. Then, to top matters off... IDEARC sent me to collections for not paying!

This is a total rip-off. They do not care about consumer satisfaction! Do not give them business because you will be sacrificing more than you think!

Horrible customer service and outlandish, unconscionable billing practice!

• Er
    Ernie Nov 25, 2008

First of all, to say that you did not receive a single phone call. The only way that would happen is if you 1) Had a listing rather than an actual ad, 2)assume you dont get calls because you dont track them, like most businesses, or 3) You did have a display ad, with bad content and/or had bad phone skills, therefore no customers!

Due to illegitimate complaints (assumption), we have gotten rid of the Automatic Renewal for our Print Advertisers.

We have since made a lot of changes to be more customer friendly. Our pricing has dropped significantly while still remaining one of the top advertising medias in the country, we have gotten rid of the bad apples (reps) and have created a more customer service based environment.

Max Nov 27, 2008

I used to work for Idearc as a premise sales rep for 6 years... I've heard many experiences like you had, reps over promise and under deliver. Get away from that company!!!

Ernie... go sell a new or non before you get fired and stop posting here!!!

Jay Dec 15, 2008

Ernie, you are so full of BS its pathetic. Like Max, i'm also a former employee and what you are saying is garbage just like the directory itself. The entire company is a tree of bad apples so there is no way you can get rid of it.
    Like Max said, go sell something before you get fired. Better yet, go complete your "pipeline" and your pay period "projections". Your manager needs to know how many people you will be scamming this week.

record Dec 17, 2008

I have refused to pay and they have sent me to a collection agency. I disputed the claim with this 1st company and I guess have droped the case. Idearc has submitted to another collection company who is ruthless. Along with the collection company, Idearc also still billing me for the remander of this years ad.
    Idearc was not willing to work with me on this matter at all. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

idearchisbad Feb 06, 2009

I have a very similar story. I actually spoke with an Idearc rep on Dec 8th and told him to cancel our account for the '09 season. He said he would and I thought everything was taken care of. I got a bill at the beginning of February and when I called to tell them I had canceled in December, they told me they had no record of the cancellation and without a first and last name of the person I spoke with, they would not escalate my case. I only have the first name of the person I spoke to in December and feel stuck with an ad and resulting payment that I had appropriately canceled.

Idearc Jun 12, 2009

• Ji
    jim watters Nov 03, 2009

RE: Idearc formerly Verizon Yellow Pages.
    After several years of extending my yellow page subscription via personal phone call from co rep and recording conversation as confirmation, this year co sends out letter saying that if they do not hear from me, subscription will automatically renew. Of course I missed this letter amongst their bankruptcy letters and while I did not want to extend, I am guessing that there will be some sort of obligation to pay. Based on other complaints I'm reading, this new co version of the old yellow pages won't be lasting long.

Idearc MediaAutomatic renewal

DO NOT advertise in Verizon Super Pages!!!
You will think that the deal is done, but "no" it's not! The next year you will receive a bill. Yes, in the five page contract it clearly states that it is your responsibility to send written correspondences during a certain time period (located on a different page) to make any changes to your ad or to cancel your contract. Your sales rep will neglect to inform you of this. I called to complain about the situation three times. First call they hung up on me making me call again and go through the hour long menu choices. Second call I was told there were no supervisors, they had all gone home for the day. I asked when they were going to be available and was told the hours Idearc Media was open, Well, I was calling during those hours, hmmm. The rude man clued me in that the supervisors don't all stay all day! Well, what are their hours I asked... Ma'am I have already told you our hours. And then I was asked if I understood and he hung up on me! Sooo, I called again and asked for a supervisor, the lady said she was a supervisor and asked how she could help. Well, what a surprise, as I was told there were no supervisors! I once again explained how we did not want the ad we were being charged for. She once again told me that it was our responsibility and that there was nothing that could be done. Well I fully disagree! Everyday I am sending them every complaint I can find, a written cancellation, and a phone call asking for a reversal of charges.! Large companies should not be able to take advantage of small businesses. It is time to fight back. Please write in your complaints if you have also been taken advantage of with this horrible company. I would also wage a war of complaints and phone calls to them. Let's fight back!

anna777 Oct 20, 2008

I Agree, lets fight back. Has anyone gotten an attorney to fight, share that number please.
    I got conned too. I never got the Terms & Conditions. On the contract I signed it says "maybe renewed.." Leaving room for the salesman to con.

Pierre Nov 06, 2008

I advertize in 2 other Yellow Pages, and none of them have ever auto renewed my contract. This is the only book Verizon / Idearc that did. They never sent a renewal letter stating when are renewal was. The never contacted us to see if anything changed on the ad. IF anyone has information on how to get the ad cancelled and money back please let me know.

record Dec 17, 2008

I have a small company with no employees I had been advertizing with verizon for 7 years and our fees for our ad was added onto our phone bill. about 2 years ago Idearc took over and started billing separately. 2 months before the end of our 2007 term was up (Feb) I contacted Idearc to tell them I no longer wished to advertise with them. they told me that it was too late to cancel and I would have to pay regardless. I asked how they could do this and Idearc told me they have the right to renew our ad and charge however much they want for it without getting approval. I have never signed anything with them to this effect. they also said that they got a 3rd party verification speaking with someone at my company with authorization. They faxed me over a 1 page form with my husbands name on it with no SS# or ID# just a name. well, my husband doesn't even work at my business! I think it is all B.S! I also told them I wished to cancel for the 2009 advertising since they would be automatically renewing my ad, and they said they couldn't cancel and I would have to call back in October to cancel for the 2009 issue because they wouldn't let me cancel until After October of 2008 (10 months later)
    I don't know how Idearc can get away with this. It seems like they are doing it a lot to people. Has anyone complained to the B.B.B. or any other government agency about this?

• Hw
    H Wolf Jan 21, 2009

Idearc Media Corp has slick talking salespeople with NO customer service. Once you start receiving billing statements, you will never stop - even if you cancel your contract. Beware of this company, nothing but a headache - migraine headache

• Pu
    pullout1 Jan 21, 2009

I SIGNED ON WITH Idearc 2 years ago after being lied to about how much business I was goint to get, was lured into salemans home for job estimate and promise of them going ahead with work (never happened) have been attempting to cancel since january 2007, they say they cannot do anything because my letter to cancel was after the 14 day cancelation period.so I never paid them much, now I owe them $12000.00 and are adding interest every month, its going now to the third collection agency whom called yesterday but no message, i googled the number cr solutions. do I need a lawyer ? I have documentation of all the letters, faxes, phone calle I've made to Idearc to cancel. They don't care!!!
    JB

idbuythat4ad0llar Mar 24, 2009

WE own a small business in CA. They really messed up our 2009 ad, led us on a wild goose chase for answers then promised us in writing, they were going to adjust our bill accordingly. ALL OF THE SUDDEN. NO DEAL & WE"RE screwed. Not only did they not make the MANDATORY CHANGES, THEY LEFT US HANGING. PLEASE WRITE TO ME SO WE CAN DISCUSS SOME STRATEGIES. THANKS! [email protected] Thanks!!! ASAP!

• Gi
    Ginny Johnson Jun 09, 2009

You need to contact your State Attorney General. Tell them your story and ask them to send a complaint form, or you can fill it out online.

Also contact the Federal Trade Commission, or you can fill out their complaint form online.

You may also file a complaint with your local BBB.

This place has dozens of complaints.
    Google: Idearc Media Scams, Idearc Media Rip-Off, Idearc Media complaints

Idearc Jun 12, 2009

Idearc MediaAdvertising

Sometime in 2006, Idearc took over the yellow pages for Verizon. I was notified by phone regarding putting an ad in the yellow pages again. I called back and left a message that I wanted to renew the same ad. I never heard from them, so I thought It was all set. I received a bill stating that as of then,
I owed nothing. The new book came out and my ad
wasn't in it. I called them and they said I owed $450 for 2006. I knew nothing about it because I got a statement that said I owed nothing. I should
have gotten a courtesy call bringing this to my attention. I have advertised with Verizon for 10 years and always paid my bill. They said they are
still part of verizon. If they were, they should have my records and know what kind of customer I was.
I kept getting a bill and then a collection agency called me. The lady was very sympathetic with me.
She mentioned to me that several others businesses
had called with the same complaints. We reached a
settlement in which I got about $60 off the bill. It doesn't sound like much, but it was at least something since Idearc cost me thousands of dollars
in business. This year came along and Idearc contacted me to run an ad in the yellow pages again. Well, we all know that we need the yellow pages for advertising so I explained what had happened and said I would like to try again. Do you know that they wouldn't let me put my ad in until I
paid that lousy $60 back to them. I paid them. To
make this really long story short, they put my ad in
with a web page that belongs to someone else. There goes thousands more. I have a transportation
co. With gas prices the way they are, I don't need somone else getting my business. This is the first time I've ever had a web page. This company is a joke and before long with all the mistakes they've made, they'll declare bankcrupcy and take a lot of other businesses down with them.
I would appreciate any help or advice you could give me.

Sincerely,
Sherry Hawkins
Van-Go Transport @ Courier
[protected]@verizon.net

• Mh
    MHall Dec 11, 2008

This company screwed up my yellow page ad the past two years. First they put my home address in the ad and then lied about it when I questioned them about it. They said that they got it directly from Verizon and that I asked for that change. Who in their right mind would list their home address in an ad when their business is a mobile service?

This year after working with my sales rep (and his manager) for two months to get the ad right (after I threatened to cancel the ad because of the previous year screw up), going back and forth via e-mail, fax and phone calls and finally getting the ad the way I wanted it, guess what happened- THEY DON'T EVEN RUN THE AD!

They cost me business last year because of mad customers showing up at my home and finding no one home (I'm out conducting my mobile business); and, they will be costing me business again this coming year because they didn't even bother to run my ad in their book.

I also advertise with the AT&T yellow pages in my area and they get the ad right every year so I've been increasing the ad each year, I benefit so they benefit. Their sales reps make you feel like they truly care about your advertising needs whereas Verizon could care less.

Believe me, this is my last year with Verizon and their advertising arm, Idearc Media, and I am going to cancel the three phone lines I have with them and go with AT&T. In my small way, going to cost them some business like they have done to me. Don't know what is wrong with Verizon but they need to get rid of Idearc Media or continue to lose customers.

• St
    step by step Mar 10, 2009

I tried advertising with Idearc Meadia back in O6. A very nice young man named Jerimah came to my office which is a plumbing company with 5 employees I showed him the add's that I was placing in other phone books he cut one of them and paper cliped it to the sheet that I signed. When the proof came it was nothing like what I had agreed to my logo was changed, I called them immediately and they told me the add had already gone to print, but they said they would give me a credit. I paid the bill the first two month all the while I called them and ask them what the credit would be they coud never tell me. Then they started sending me to voice mail and would never return my call. Then they started hounding me for payment, I kept telling them that I wanted to know what the credit would be, but they never could tell me. Then they shut the phone number off now they are saying they are going to sue me for the full amount. Someone needs to put them out of business, they cost me time, money and customers.
    The customers who called thought we had gone out of business. Now the collector tells me that the contract I signed that my ad was paper clipped to said they might not get it right but I would pay anyhow.

idbuythat4ad0llar Mar 24, 2009

We are also in the Plumbing business!! What a scam Idearc Media is.

Idearc Jun 10, 2009

• Ke
    Ken's Jun 14, 2009

they sent me a collection bill for over 100 dollars
    i never addvertised with this bunch ... they are trying to rip off us ..
    ken's

Patrickrawls Jul 21, 2009

I filed a civil claim against Idearc Media LLC/Jennifer L. Swann. The case number is SC11C0013202 It would be nice if you could send a letter to Justice of the Peace Precinct 1, Place 1, Judge Dale Gorczynski, 7300 N. Shepherd, room 138, Houston, Texas 77091-2437 and give your experiences with this company and their tactics. I have gone to his court before and know he will read the letters and have an understanding on the complaints.

Idearc Mediacan't cancel ad

Be aware once you sign up any advertising with Idearc Media, it will automatically renew without your authorization. You won’t have a chance to cancel your ad.

My ad expire in Janunary this year. There was no sales rep calling me to discuss if I want to change or continuing the ad on the Verizon directory. However, the Idearc Media automatic renew the ad for me for another year. In March 18 and March 24 this year, I have try to contact any one who will cancel my ad. I got transfer on the line for at least 10 differnent persons for almost 2 hours. The phone number were [protected], [protected], [protected], [protected] and [protected]. Finally I got to the person who is supposed to be in charged of my account : Scott Bower. I told him that after spending on the phone for 2 hours I want to cancel my account totally, but no one will help me. He said he will take care of it. I thought I would have peace of mind.

A week later, on 4/24/08, I got a call from collection for unpaid bill with Idearc Media, for the month of Februray, March and April. I thought this would have been taking care by Mr. Scott Bower in the previous week. So I got on the phone with Idearc Media, and of course I need to spend another 2 hours got transfer back and forth to different department. Finally, I got someone finally seem helpful. Her name is Lisa Caster at extension 4866, she said on the record, “the published book is cancel, but customer had request to continue on the on-line advertisting” Howver, I have never authorize for such an ad. I finally realized I am invoved in a scam and a rip off.

I feel so angry, I go online and type in keyword: Idearc Media complaint. Wow, the information is overwhelming. And of course, I am going to post my story.

How can a very well known ('can you hear me now?') company like Verizon allow Idearc Media to operate to the ruin of their good name?

• Gl
    Glenda Oct 01, 2008

I agreed to review internet advertising. I was supposed to get information in the mail. Three months went by and I get a bill that is two months past due. I called to inform them of the mistake and they tell me that I agreed to the advertising. The advertising is not on the internet. They found some old info on my company and tried to claim that was the correct advertising. Mind you, they guaranteed 8 leads per day. Nine months later, I am still waiting for leads. My account is also 9 months past due. They refuse to cancel. My bill has been sent to 3 separate collection agencies who say that it's taken care of--but it never is. Today I filed a complaint with the attorney generals office in CA. What is everyone else doing to resolve their complaints?

anna777 Oct 20, 2008

I too got ripped by them. There has to be an attorney somewhere that want to help all of us.
    Here are the numbers & names I got, I hope to help someone.
    972 453-7000 Scott Cline CEO
    In CA. Denise Holloway 972 453-7553
    Appeals 800 555-4833

good luck

• Yv
    Yvette Oct 21, 2008

Yes, I totally agree. Idearc Media needs to be sued. I am so glad I read all of the complaints regarding this poor excuse for a business. They are a bunch of "CROOKS". It is because I read the complaints, that I will send them a certified letter so they won't automatically renew me. It seems that my representative failed to inform me of this clause, however, thanks to the many complaints, I am now aware of this ruthless scheme.
    Unfortunately, I am in an excrutiating year long committment with these "dogs" and I don't want to mess up my credit, so like many of you, I have to eat the year long fee. I hope and pray that more people who have been scammed by Idearc Media, come forward to let others know about these people and perhaps they will go out of business because of it.

D/FW Airport, TX. 75261

Idearc Media — Scam and cheating!

We notified Idearc Media Rep that we did not want to renew our contract in Jan. 2007. He took the call, but...

Idearc Media — Idearc Media published ad without authorization

Idearc Media - www.idearcmedia.com Idearc Media is part of Verizon, they publish phone directories. A sale...

Idearc Media — unauthorized directory advertizing

This company took over directory advertizing from Verizon Directories whice was part of Verizon Phone...