Hollywood Video Complaints & Reviews

Hollywood VideoAwful Service

I rented a few movies in the summer of 2008. I moved away for college and I forgot all about them and started receiving collections notices in the spring of 2009. I went to the store, settled the debt with the manager (returned the movies and paid about 20 dollars).
Now, it's on my credit as still in collections in the SPRING of 2011 and I can't get in touch with anyone at the corporate level. It just kept me from renting my first home, despite that I have a cosigner.
I greatly need this resolved ASAP and have no idea how to do it.

Chubaskes Dec 10, 2009

I will no longer patronize Hollywood video after my last two visits. I have never been overly satisfied with the service at Hollywood Video. It was mediocre at best, but the competitive prices and five-day video rentals were enough to compensate for their less than stellar customer service.

A few weeks ago, I went to HV and located the movies I wanted on my own fairly quickly. I went up to the front desk to pay for my rentals. I stood at the center register of the desk considering there were THREE employees behind the counter and none of them were at a register. None of them even acknowledged me, and soon another customer came up behind me. After 2-3 minutes, one of the employees finally came to the register to my left. I don't recall being greeted as I handed him my selections. Another employee came up to the center register and said "Could you move over? There are other customers behind you." I was stunned by her tone and lack of niceties, as well as the fact that she felt the need to point out the fact that there were other customers behind me when it was their slow service that caused a line to form in the first place.

The last time I was in HV, I was looking for a specific movie that I couldn't find on my own. After searching the store, I finally approached the service desk and asked if they had the movie. An employee was at the computer this time, and he searched for my movie right away. This process took a few minutes. All the while, the same employee who had so rudely asked me to get out of the way was standing behind the counter, observing my exchange with the other employee. As he got the search results, she finally spoke up, saying: "We don't have it."

She had been standing there the entire time. She could have just answered my question as soon as I asked instead of wasting both my and the other employee's time. Thanks to these experiences, I'll be signing up for Netflix soon.

hv-employee Feb 04, 2010

you could have said something the first time. its not the employees fault your quiet when you come to the counter.

bellabeau1 Mar 15, 2010

Here is a number to hollywood video that has worked for me. They are rude but they stole from us so be hard as nails back. 360-450-6137. They do not answer it hollywood video just say thats who you are looking for and they will tell you that hollywood video is a client of theirs. Good luck.

HV Customer Support Apr 21, 2010

The (360) number mentioned above is not a number to Hollywood Video. For best results contacting Hollywood Video, call 1-877-325-8687. They are open daily from 8am - 7pm and are very friendly and helpful. If you have a problem, they are your best bet for solving it.

• Jk
    JKDE Jun 07, 2011

Hollywood Video did nothing wrong here.

You rented movies three years ago, didn't return them, didn't pay for them.

They had to hire a collection agency to make you pay up and return their property.

The collection agency reported your debt to all three major credit reporting agencies. That's why it's there.

You need written proof that you paid the debt and you'll have to send it to all three agencies. Call them up and they will help you through it.

It will take some work on your part but eventually your credit history will be good again.

Good luck.

Hollywood VideoFraud

I received a notice from National Credit Solutions, LLC (dated January 24th) of an alleged "debt, " related to the now-bankrupt Hollywood Video company. The "notice" does not detail what the charges might be for, but does display a "current balance." I never got a notice from the actual Hollywood Video company about any unpaid charges previous to this notice. Because the store location I used to use has been gone for a year or more, this made me exceedingly suspicious.

This is a scam.

These are con artists, who have developed a clever psychological scam. They prey upon the worries of persons who value their credit history. We all do these days. But they ask for a relatively small payment, often negotiating the amount down when you call them, and they know that the video rental business typically offered no proof to customers that rented items had been returned.

They want you to 1) doubt your memory about returned videos and games, 2) want to "make it all go away, " 3) see it as a relatively small amount of cash that you might as well just pay and be done with it.

Don't let them take advantage of you.

By conning thousands of people out of small sums, these criminals are laughing all the way to the bank. Think about how much money they can make if thousands of folks pay them fifty dollars every day. Most of us have to go to work each day and would rather not, and these jerks are happily stealing thousand every day by making you think they can hurt your credit history with their spurious "collection efforts."

DO send then a certified letter asking for:

-- Verification of the alleged “debt”
-- Further information about the nature of the alleged “debt”
-- The calculations used to arrive at the amount they are attempting to “collect”
-- Copies of any contracts or documents which form a basis for the alleged “debt”
-- The address of, and any contact information available for the original “creditor.”

You have the right to do so under federal law.

Don't give in. We're all busy, but take the time to dispute this alleged "debt." Report them to the Better Business Bureau, the FTC, and your state's Attorney General.

This is clearly fraud, and is also a form of identity theft. They got their hands on Hollywood Video's customer database, and they're going to town with it. Take a stand. These are con artists. Don't give them a cent. Don't let them laugh at how stupid we all are.

Resolved Hollywood VideoLate Fees.................

I received a letter from National Credit Soultions, LLC dated 1/24/2011. It said that I owed Hollywood Video $244.83 for late fees on movie rentals. First of all I had that I could have out 3 movies/games at a time with NO late fees. I never received any letter from Hollywood video about late fees and when I was in the store nobody told me I had and late fees. I called National Credit Soultions, LCC who now holds the debt. I was told I would have to prove I paid. When I asked for a name/address/ phone number to contact Holly video, I was told there was no contact information!! When I asked
"Michelle" the customers service girl why I had not received anything prior to a collections letter she said that they probably tried to contact me by phone and if they could not reach me it was my fault. What ever happpened to sening a letter via the USPS to inform me of this debt??? All I know is they are just gonna have to sue me...I refuse to pay a debt I dont owe I alread have enough to pay that are valid!!! HELP

• Ca
    Carrie Canellas Feb 01, 2011

I got a letter too dated Jan 24, 2011 stating that I owe Hollywoood video $244.00 for late fees. Funny thing is I had the rent all you want with no late fees plan!!! and they too told me the burden of proof is on me!!

Hollywood Videoi dont owe you money!!

I just received a letter I owe 125.00 in 30 days to Hollywood Video!! What?? I was one of your best customers that kept you in business, and now I owe you!? I've been trying to call all day and got a busy signal, just got a recording closed to the weather. So I have 30 days to reach you, if not collections. I will win and you will have to pay all the attorneys fees. This is ridiculous!!!

• Ji
    Jim77 Feb 19, 2011

Fight this. It's a scam. I got the same "weather closing" recording. Send them a certified letter asking for details. Report them to the FTC, the BBB in Oklahoma City, and your state's Attoreny General. They're con artists.

Resolved Hollywood Videosaying i owe them money when they have been closed for over a year

i just went to check ou tmy credit for a loan that should be clean. then this pops up that i owe money to a closed video store before they closed i returned all videoes plus i was a gold member which means they charge me monthly to rent movies and have to return videos before i can rent more let me just say i rented at the westside olympia hollywood video for over ten years spent so much money and for them to turn around and scam me when theres nothing i can do about it really sucks who do i talk to if they no longer execist i read this has happened to people all over the region how to we all fight this i do not want to pay these frauds.

up

• Df
    dfgafa Dec 30, 2010

http://www.topfashion-girl.com /
    ( http://www.topfashion-girl.com /

We need your support and trust!!! Dear friends, please temporarily stop your footsteps To our website Walk around A look at Maybe you'll find happiness in your sight shopping heaven and earth You'll find our price is more suitable for you.
    Welcome to our website ( http://www.topfashion-girl.com / )
    Thanks to the support!

BendOverBackwards Feb 11, 2011

This has happened to me also!

Resolved Hollywood Videofraudulent fees

Like many others, I am dealing with fraudulent fees assessed by Hollywood Video and being collected by National Credit Solutions. This false charge has caused my Experian credit score to be lowered by over 100 points! Go to the Federal Trade Commission site (ftc.org), under Consumer Protection, and FILE A COMPLAINT. Putting the burden of proof on the consumer for a DVD rental is positively ridiculous. It's virtually impossible to prove. Best of luck to all. Keep up the fight!

• Kh
    khaos70 Nov 22, 2010

I looked at my credit report yesterday and found out that I supposedly owe money to Hollywood Video?? I paid that account in full for $11 two years ago. I also never received any bills from them saying I owed money nor the collection agency. I am furious!!! My credit score has dropped because of this.

• Am
    A.Melendez Nov 22, 2010

The same thing is happening to me! I found out through my credit monitor that my score tanked over night to a 537! I was never contacted by ccs they sold it to national credit solutions and state i owe $353 for charges that came from movies and games but they refuse to give me proof. I reported them to consumer affairs and ftc And disputed it but the collectors i spoke with today Rene and Whitney in disputes state that the burden is on me to provide proof that I paid these items, there has to be something we can do?!

• Bw
    bwinaz Nov 29, 2010

The same thing happened to me. I never recieved any type of notification from HVD regarding these late video fees. Also, National Credit Solutions claimed that even though I returned these movies, I had to pay HVD for both the late fees and the price of the movie. How could they do this? The collection agency stated that this was in my contract, but when I asked them for a copy of the contract, they claimed they didn't need to do this. This needs to be stopped immediately!

• Li
    Liz48 Nov 30, 2010

This same thing happened to me. I found out from my credit monitoring service that National Credit Solutions claimed I owed $212 for unreturned rentals from Hollywood Video. The charges were from the summer of '09 and this is the first I have heard from anyone about this. All my rentals were returned. In fact, I paid a monthly fee for Powerplay which allowed you to rent without any late fees. I had extra points left over that I had accumulated due to the powerplay points I had not used when Hollywood Video closed my local store. Even though it was not logical that this could be true, I was informed that this would be reported on a weekly basis as negative information on my credit report. This is a scam and I am paying money I do not owe so I can protect my credit rating. I can't believe this can be allowed to happen.

• Jm
    Jm27 Jan 24, 2011

Same thing happened to me. NCS is claiming that I owe $154 to Hollywood Video for dvds that they acknowledge I returned. NCS told me that I am obligated to pay for the full price of the dvds, in addition to collection fees even though I returned them and paid the late fees as per my contract with Hollywood Video. This is a SCAM! They will not get a dime from me. I'm writing to everyone and I'm consulting a lawyer.

• Lo
    lookoutforthelittleguy Jan 25, 2011

call the ftc

• Sm
    Smn2k Feb 06, 2011

I also have gone through this. Now, I will tell what I did, and so you know, it is now removed from my credit report. To begin: I applied for a new credit card around December 15th, and was denied for a bad debt collection notice. After accessing my credit report I found a collection notice from NCS of Oklahoma for $180.

First of all, look up how to write a letter denying a debt (google it, you'll find some information) Make sure to mention the FDCPA. The woman I spoke with at NCS demanded that I prove I don't owe the debt and that federal law gave them the right to demand proof. This is a lie, the FDCPA states a debt collector bears burden of proof. So if they use this tactic on you, make sure to include this in your letter. MAKE SURE TO SEND YOUR LETTER TO THE COLLECTION AGENCY AS A CERTIFIED LETTER requiring a signature.

I also have a letter to send to the Oklahoma state attorney Generals office as well as the Indiana State Attorney Generals office. These will include all documentation from the ordeal, postings from this and other websites, as well as my certified letter receipts and return receipt. DO NOT GIVE IN, because within a week of receiving my letter ( i know the date from the return receipt of the certified letter) this collection is no longer on my credit report.

Stand up for yourselves and if you want any tips from me please feel free to email me at S M N(number 2)[email protected] AOL.com (replace the (number 2) with 2 and remove spaces I type it like this to help reduce unwanted spam or BS)

Good Luck

Resolved Hollywood VideoFalsely sent to collections

Hollywood Video sent a flase bill to collections. I was never notified and I found out during a credit check for a home purchase. I contacted the collections agency, (NCS) and asked for a phone number to Hollywood so I could dispute this and they refused to provide me with one. They said they would not help me un less I provided them with receipts of the videos I rented. This is a scam that is happening across the United States. Someone needs to do something.

• Aa
    AaronAZ Dec 07, 2010

You aren't alone. Fight them.

Google debt validation letter and send one to them by certified mail with return receipt.

• Di
    Diana Yelmi Dec 15, 2010

El dia de hoy hable nuevamente a National Credit Solutions, la primera llamada k hice me contestó una persona llamada Michelle, al principio muy amable pero cuando mencioné de k estaba hablando acerca de un cargo de hollywood video inmediatamente se exalto comenzó a hablar despota y de muy mala gana. Despues hable nuevamente para tratar de pedir pruebas de k yo debia eso, y me volvió a contestar groseramente. Despues me transfieron con una persona k hablaba español y fue lo mismo al principio muy amable despues hasta grosera diciendo k nadie debia hacer contratos con esas compañias porque les hacen cargos y luego todos nos quejamos, tambien dijo que ellos no tienen porque contestar todas nuestras llamadas k ellos no eran costumer service, tambien dijo que antes de hacer contratos con cualquier compañia debiamos investigar primero en internet. K tristeza k haya gente k se porte asi, deberian de dar gracias k tienen trabajo porque gracias a nosotros ellos tiene trabajo.

Resolved Hollywood Video — Unfair Collections Submission

I recently recieved a credit monitoring alert about a collections account that just showed up. When I...

Resolved Hollywood Video — Fees a year later!!!!

I just received notice that there are four movies on my account that have not been returned.  The notice...

Resolved Hollywood VideoCharges for late DVD return

We rented a movie (DVD) (from Hollywood Video, Vancouver, WA - Store#[protected] days ago, and forgot to return. We received a call from the store yesterday when the DVD was 32 days late, asking for the DVD to be returned. We returned the DVD the next day (today) and found out that the late fee is over $22. When I asked the store manager (Byrekka Devine) the reason the store did not make a call earlier, she responded that it is not their responsibility and they did a "courtesy call" to us to remind that it is late and we should be happy about it, otherwise, the store would charge us more for the unreturned DVD. The store manager also stated that they are too busy to make phone calls because there are hundreds of customers not returning the DVDs. Then I reminded her that is the reason they need to make their courtesy calls so that there would not be hundreds of customers forgetting to return DVDs. When I stated that the store probably prefers to make as much money as possible from their customers by not calling the people in a timely fashion, the store manager (Byrekka Devine) stated that my reasoning is very irrational and complete non-sense.

We strongly believe the store is deliberately not calling people who do not return the DVDs on time so that the store can take advantage and charge the customers as much as possible. This is a very bad business policy and the management of the Hollywood Video should be ashamed of their practice model. These types of cheap business practices should be stopped.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Apr 21, 2010

I work at a video rental store. We try to make courtesy calls but that's all they are is COURTESY calls. Renting is YOUR responsibility and it is your responsibility to return the DVD on time. They are losing money for every day you keep that rental. Frankly, after 32 days, I'm surprised you only paid $22

HV Customer Support Apr 21, 2010

Hollywood Video's rental recovery policy for alerting our customers of outstanding product involves automated phone calls at 8 and 20 days past due and postcard reminders at 14 and 25 days past due. It's possible that if your rental account does not reflect an updated phone number or address then our attempts to reach you may have been unsuccessful.

I apologize if this was the case and invite you to contact the Customer Relations department if you have any issues you do not feel have been resolved to your satisfaction. We're open daily from 8am - 7pm (PST).

Hollywood Video Customer Relations
    1-877-325-8687

Hollywood Videolate fees

Hollywood Video charged $159.00 to my credit card for nothing. I had not rented a video for months and the last ones I did I returned on time inside the store. When I called the store I was told that I was being charged through the corporate office for the full price of the videos and that I never returned them. I asked if I could get a copy of the last videos I rented and he said their printers were not working. I asked if he could tell me the date of the last time I rented any videos from them and he said he did not have that information. The funny thing is, I had a similar experience with another Hollywood Video store during their first bankruptcy a couple years ago just as it was closing down also. In that incident I had returned the video by putting it in their night drop box and they claimed I never returned it and tried to charge my credit card. That issue was resolved. They could not provide any documentation then and I bet they can't provide any documentation now. either.

• Js
    jslanempo Sep 25, 2009

Hollywood Video informed me that I had a late fee on a movie that I returned on time. They want over $45(!) in charges for a used rental movie that anyone would sell for $10. The letter I got threatened to charge this to my bank card, but that if I returned the video and agreed to sign up for one of their plans then all late charges would be "forgiven."

This place is a complete and total rip-off - never, ever go to Hollywood Video. This is a scam that they apparently run all the time. I'll stick with Netflix from now on.

• Af
    afsf Oct 06, 2009

What is this called? by Law?

• Uw
    uwukmrn Nov 18, 2009

Did you have them look on the shelf for your movie? Sometimes movies are in the checkin pile but for one reason or another aren't scanned. If the movie was found on the shelf, you shouldn't be held responsible.

MG employee

p.s. They can't charge it to your bank account. I can't believe ppl are this stupid. When you signed up for your account do you recall what information they took? Just like your addy and DL to make sure you are who you say you are. The credit card is just to verify that you are who you say you are and only the last 4 digits and expiration date are recorded to make sure that we are doing our job.

hv-employee Feb 04, 2010

actually they CAN charge your bank card. =)
    HV-Employee

• Ki
    KixStar Apr 12, 2010

This is why you walk into the store, hand them your videos, watch them check them in, ask for a receipt (if they do that, I know Blockbuster does), then hand them your membership card to cut up.

Then sign up for Netflix.

HV Customer Support Apr 13, 2010

Dear Rat Dog,

We would be happy to investigate this charge for you and if we find that this charge was the result of an error on our part, we will correct it for you immediately.

Please contact our Customer Relations department at 1-877-325-8687 and one of our representatives will assist you.

We appreciate your membership and look forward to serving you again.

Sincerely,
    Wes W.
    Hollywood Video Customer Relations

Resolved Hollywood VideoTerrible refund policy

DAMAGED Video/DVD policy needs to change as we rented a bad movie and when we brought it back in for a refund they told us we had to rent it back out again. We didn't have time to watch as we were leaving town. That is why we go to the store to rent it is because we have time to watch. Obviously, they, hollywood video should refund your money and offer a credit for another moive another time JUST FOR THE INCONVENIENCE for the customer as it ruins their whole plans for the day.

hv-employee Apr 14, 2010

wow really? Im not even going to explain this. people are so ignorant. all i need to say is that's not how a business conducts business, if they wish to stay in business. besides they are in chapter 11 which means they do not offer refunds without district manager approval

policy is that you will be given a different copy of the same movie, even at another time if you wish. But that you can't get a different movie (because too many people say they are "damaged" and they really are not--therefore they made that policy) so stop complaining!

Resolved Hollywood VideoPowerplay plan

Last month my husband payed for one month of the PowerPlay play. He called them yesterday afternoon about 4pm to see how much longer we had to use our last 6 credits. He was told that our month ended on Jan 4 so we had one more day.

Tonight after work I stopped by to get a couple movies and use those credits. I was told that memberships end at 12:01 AM on the final day. So even tho our membership showed 1/4 as are our final day, it expired just after midnight so we didn't actually have any part of that day to rent movies. I have 2 complaints about this.

1- We were told by one of their employees that we could still use the membership on that final day. I might feel slightly different if we had made the mistake ourselves in reading the policy.

2- I believe that this policy is purposely set up to be confusing to customers. I believe that they count on people making this mistake so that the customers don't get their moneys worth out of the PP plan. If they wanted to be customer friendly the plan would end at 11:59 PM on the final day and not 12:01 AM.

I plan on filling a complaint with the store manager tomorrow. I will also be mailing a complaint to the Company Headquarters. I will also be complaining everywhere I can find both locally and on the internet. I don't honestly expect much to be done because of my complaints but I'm going to try.

hv-employee Feb 15, 2010

LMAO.
    AND its customers like YOU...that are the reason for hollywood video closing another 1000 stores. wasting our time with stupid complaints. hope you can sleep well at night knowing that your the reason MILLONS of people are losing their jobs.

• Mi
    MICHAEL D. TORRES May 07, 2010

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR POWER PLAY AND WHEN I WENT TO THE STORE MANAGER HE GAVE ME A 1-888 PHONE NUMBER TO CALL. IT'S BEEN FOUR DAYS NOW AND NO ONE ANSWERS THE PHONE. "YOUR CALL IS IMPORTANT AND SOMEONE WILL BE WITH YOU SHORTLY". WELL IT WOULD SURELY BE IMPORTANT IF I OWED YOU!

hv-employee May 10, 2010

If you didnt sign up for the play how the crap does they company owe you? wow.
    and the entire company is closing nationwide (except Canada) so do you realize how many people are calling JUST to complain about that? So it may take you an hour to get through to them. maybe more. thanks to useless phone calls that people like to make just to complain about something they can't help ( a closing company). and BTW its an 866 number not an 888. So wait your turn on the phone, if not, then stop complaining!

Resolved Hollywood VideoManger

My Name is Laura McKenzie and my kids and I were in you store in Duqesene, PA The 1800 location on Saturday the 5th of Dec approx. 3pm est. My kids were in ur store while i was next door getting a few things. When they came in to find me to tell me that the lady at the video store had told them that they had to leave because "there was a lot of theft going on in the store" My kids were in there for 15min and when they orginally walked in the clerk asked them where there parent was and they said next door she is coming in - in a few the clerk had no problem. Then the boys said that the manager started to follow them around and then told them they had to leave. My kids were devastated and very upset because she made this point if front of many other patrons. I asked to speak to her and told her that there was no sign out front stating the kids could not be there without a parent. The manager proceeded to tell me that it was her store and she could do what she wanted. All I wanted to understand is why there were plenty of other kids in the store and they were not asked to leave??????? I would like someone to contact me as soon as possible regarding this issue. I am very upset. The manager proceeded to tell me that she can make the rules in her store and I did become upset and she asked me to leave which I did. I would really appreciate a call.

Resolved Hollywood VideoUnauthorized charges

Have been an MVP customer at Hollywood Video in Vestavia Hills, AL for several years. In May I was told that Hollywood Video was bought out by Movie Gallery; MVP membership was not valid anymore but since I had been a customer I had been given a one-month free trial of PowerPlay. The trial period would expire 6/7/09, after which I would need to renew my membership to continue to participate in PowerPlay. I decided not to renew my membership, and have not used the services of Hollywood Video since. But since the company conveniently had my credit card on file and had charged me monthly for my MVP membership, they continued to charge my credit card for June, July, and August, even though we had never signed a contract for their new membership plan. My husband contested the charges with the store and was referred to a phone complaints center, where they offered to reimburse the charges for the first month, but not for the subsequent 2 months, even though these were unauthorized charges.

• Ni
    nicolei_07 Aug 19, 2009

Hello,
    Im an employee at hollywood video and wanted to let you know about the misunderstanding. Im really sorry that the associates told you the wrong information. MVP was being changed to powerplay..that is correct. It is also correct you got a free month, but the subscription was to renew after that free month to the program that was equal value to your previous MVP program. I do not know why the employees would tell you that would end. Corporate also sent out letters stateing the change and letting customers know about their options.(FYI:most people assumed it was junk mail and through them away lol) The three options were: let it continue after your free month, cancel the membership, or come in and have your last MVP charge refunded towards a new Powerplay program. The reason why they ARE authorized charges is b/c when you signed the MVP terms & conditions(which was probably a LONG time ago if you had the program for a while) the terms say that Hollywood Video has the right to change their programs at any time without your consent. You can even look at the Powerplay program Terms and conditions where that right is stated there as well. Corporate is not stupid... lol they have a way to tie you in however you can still cancel anytime you want still, which is cool. :) ANyways I believe the reason why they didnt refund the other charges is the same reason we dont void fees for movies that were returned w/out a disc. Did you not notice the charges the first time and come in? you waited for TWO more charges lol. The same thing with people about the discs is that "Did you not notice the disc in your dvd?" Again I am truly sorry the employees TOTALLY told you the wrong information and at least now you know the reason behind the unfortunate incident. Hope Everything is going ok now.

• Ha
    HappySue Sep 22, 2009

Laughing at a fellow customer doesn't only make you look bad but the company.

Resolved Hollywood Video — bad customer service

When I went into the store it was a Friday night right after work. My feet hurt and I was not planning on...

Hollywood Videofree soda

I rented a few movies, I returned them all on the due date. Like two weeks later I recieved a notice thru the mail saying one movie wasn't returned, I called the store, I talked to one of the employees, she said the movie wasn't returned yet, then I talked to the manager, she insisted the movie wasn't back, until she physically went to go look and found it on the shelf. Then she said there was another movie that was returned late and I had to pay late fees. I told her I returned all my movies at the same time, she replied very rudely, almost yelling at me, that she herself had put this movie back on the shelf when it was returned late. After going back and forth with this arguement, I told her I was not going to pay this late fee, and I never returned to that store again. I have yet to close my account at this store on Valley Bl. Fontana, Ca.

I opened an account at the store in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca recently. My third time renting, the girl said I got a FREE 2 liter soda with my rentals, few days later, I checked my receipt to confirm the due date, and to my surprise, I WAS CHARGED THE 2 LITER SODA!!! I will be going in to talk to the manager about this tommorrow!

• Pe
    PendulumPoet Apr 07, 2009

As an employeee...i can assure you that yo uwere not charged for the free two liter. On your reciept, it probably shows you paid like $1.20 or so for the soda. If you look closer, at the rental price, they are probably about 60cents cheaper then normal. That is because the computer compensates for the "free" soda by taking off the total cost of the soda from the rentals, therefore looking like you "paid" for it. Its a common misconception, I have to explain it to customers all the time. I assure you that if you take a calculator and add up the rentals, plus the soda it will be the exact amount of what it would have cost if you had just rented the movies, and not added the soda. Hope this helps!

hv-employee Feb 04, 2010

YOUR A DUMBASS> the 2 litter soda is free. THe price of the rentals are adjusted. it all equals the soda to be free. check the prices. they should have told you that. (its so pepsi gets their $)

• Fc
    fcruz83 Feb 05, 2010

as a former employee of H.V your cashier should have taken the time to explain to u that on your receipt it looks as if u were charged but that in fact what they do is reprice ur movie rentals to balance it out. the pepsi company isnt offering u the soda free the movie gallery company is.working for hollywood video isnt work at all and way too easy ur cashier could have done better.

Hollywood VideoScam and fraud!

My w2 form seems to be lost, I worked at the smyrna store. I quit for another job, also moved from old address. The store said it was sent back to cooperate.

• Ho
    hollywoodvideosucks Dec 09, 2010

I just checked my credit report and have a bogus Hollywood Video charge for rental fee. They need to be held accountable for this type of fraud by the Attorney General Of the US.

• Gr
    greyarea79 Dec 13, 2010

I just tried to get a small loan and my credit report came up showing that I have a collection of a huge some of money for hollywood video late fees! This is definitely false! I never recieved anything in the mail from hollywood video before the location by my house went bankrupt and closed. I did not have late fees and if I did have a large amount why didn't they contact me and stop me from renting movies up until their bankruptcy. I can't find any number for "Hollywood Video Corporate" and I keep running into dead ends trying to resolve this matter. I have contacted the Attorney General's office of Chicago and also the FTC. Hopefully they can help me resolve this ridiculous matter! If anyone has any advice please comment, thank you

• Sm
    Smn2k Feb 06, 2011

Good Luck

Resolved Hollywood VideoExorbitant fee, deceptive business practices

Hollywood Video
www.hollywoodvideo.com

-Rented 3 movies in 2006

-Returned them, maybe a little late. I sometimes return videos late and just pay the fee next time I try to rent. Usually is only a few bucks.

-I moved a lot for work (within the U.S. and just returned from a stint abroad). However, my billing address has always been my parent's home. They open up my mail and call me about anything important. They never called about anything to do with video rentals.

-Recently tried to rent at the local Hollywood store I've been going to for the past 10 years.

-Was informed about these 3 rentals.

-Long story short - the manager on duty was so rude and was deliberately shouting at me in order get everyone's attention. She wouldn't tell me how much I owed, she just called me a "liar" and a "thief" and said the "only problem is on your end."

-I just walked out of the store. I've never been so embarrassed and stunned in my life.

My worry is this following:

-When I entered the store, I said "Hi" to one of the teenage clerks reporting to this manager. The clerk said Hi back and then I heard him say to another clerk, "Wow, this person speaks English!" I'm not sure what to make of that comment, but I can't help but think there's some sort of prejudice (FYI: I'm U.S.-born, 100% proud American citizen with no accent.)

-I have one Hollywood late fee letter from 2005, about videos I've already settled. I've read on complaints.com and other websites that Hollywood and Blockbuster deliberately delay actively pursuing collections for a while, in order to compound the late fees. Is that true? If so, I guess it would be better for me to pay off whatever the fee is, but I'm scared that the amount will be into the hundreds of dollars because it's 3 videos and they were due in 2006. It's now late 2007...

-The manager said that their collections agency tried to contact me, but I didn't receive any mail or calls and my contact info has always been the same.

-I recently got all three of my credit reports. Not a mention on any of them from Hollywood Video or their collectors ("Credit Protection Agency", unless I got the name wrong).

-I called Hollywood customer service (did not give them ANY info about me). The rep was, no surprise, very rude as well. She said that I had to go into that particular store to settle my account, but, and I'm sure you'll all understand my feeling on this, I don't ever want to step foot into that store again. She said that she could forward me to collections, but I don't want to deal with those "people" either.

Should I just stay silent and only fight this if they ever do find me? Or should I just pay whatever exorbitant fee to get them off my back (naturally, I'm going to end my membership)?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Sh
    Sharon Oct 21, 2007

Holly wood Video is filled with people who have no customer service skills, this is not to say each and everyone of them but it is to say in my experience the majority of them are lacking in professional trading and basic human decorum. Having said that I think that to get their attention you should pursue your complaint. Call the Corporate Office and get the number for the District Manger. Inform them about the racist comment ( English speaking crap) and let them no that you can make a complaint with the Human Rights Commission which you can) It will have to be investigated and I'm sure they don't want that. Also demand a written apology from the person who called you a liar the corporate office should be made aware of how they are treating its customers.

I will be dealing with them on another issue this week and will post the results.

• Je
    jessica simmons Dec 05, 2007

I hope you got your problem taken care of by now, but just in case-late fees stop accruing after about 45 -50 days and the account is sent to collections. they also stop as soon as the movie is turned in and you are not charged any extra for the late fee sitting on the account. if the movie was turned in before the account went to a "coporate" staus there would have been no maile notification.

• Co
    Connie McGuire Jun 16, 2008

To whom this may concern
    My eye's are very bad and cannot read small print
    when I'm looking for a movie, most of all the movies are in there own sections, but to tell you the truth you
    need a section for foreign films. Most americans don't
    read, write, speak any other language but english.
    It would sure help the ones with bad eyesight to be able to go to the sections that are english spoken films.
    I get very angry for the price we pay to see a movie
    that I don't unerstand and cannot read fast enough to
    even watch it.
    Would you please look into making a section for the foreign films.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Sincerely
    Connie McGuire

• Sh
    Sheree Wilkinson Mar 08, 2009

SATURDAY, 03/07/09...
    I RENTED TWO VIDEOS FROM HOLLYWOOD VIDEOS. I WAS INFORMED THAT I HAD A LATE VIDEO FROM LAST JUNE 2008 WHICH I KNEW WAS WRONG AS I TURNED IT IN AFTER TWO DAYS! THE MAN, SHAUN, SAID I WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RENT ANYTHING UNLESS I PAID THE LATE FEE!! SO I DID BECAUSE I HAD MY GRANDDAUGHTER WITH ME. WE TRIED TO VIEW BOTH FILMS AND THEY DID NOT WORK. THEY BOTH STOP/STARTED CONSTANTLY, SO WE STOPPED TRYING TO WATCH. I CALLED THE MANAGER WHO SAID THEY WOULD NOT RETURN MY MONEY BUT WOULD LET ME RENT THE SAME MOVIES ONLY AGAIN AND BLAMED MY DVD PLAYER WHICH IS NEW AND PLAYS EVERY OTHER VIDEO FINE EVEN AFTER THE OTHERS FAILED!
    I AM FURIOUS AND INTEND TO FILE A COMPLAINT
    THIS IS HOLLYWOOD VIDEO IN ALISO VIEJO, CALIFORNIA AND THE THREE EMPLOYEES WERE SOOOOO RUDE AND ABSOLUTE NASTY!

SHEREE WILKINSON
    ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON BUSINESS MANAGER
    ALISO VIEJO, CALIFORNIA

• Va
    valkyrie Aug 06, 2009

I have had nothing but problems with my hollywood video and will never go back again. I have paid late fees more than once on the same late movies or games I returned. I tried talking to them about it but the said I would have had to keep my receipt to prove it. I asked them why they even had a computer system. A couple of weeks ago they said I had some late fees from a year ago, that I have never heard of till now, and I also had started their stupied power play a couple months ago to erase late fees. wow, how well that worked. the movies were something I had never heard of before so I have no idea what that is about. I will never go back to hollywood again.

• Re
    redbone1825 Oct 14, 2010

I got home today and received a letter stating I owe $219.00 for 3 games and 1 movie!!! I rented those months ago, probably last year now I get a letter from a collection agency stating I owe this money!!! I turned in those games and movie!! i am so pissed right now! I called the collection agency and they told me nothing. I would have to contact the corporate office! Now tell me if they are all out of business who am I going to talk to??? Does anyone know a address or phone number to call. I am not paying for movies that they have. I rented movies after this and was told about any late fees or anything. I think they are trying to get money out of people!!!

• Ck
    ckkag Oct 20, 2010

I to just received a bill today from a collection agency claiming I owe Hollywood Video $130.00 for 3 X-box games which they claim I never returned. I have always returned anything I have every rented and owe these people NOTHING. I'm beginning to think this is some type of scam by Hollywood to try to bail themselves out. I to called the collection agency and they told me to call the corporate office but as the previous comment stated no one seems to know the phone number!! Anyone have any luck with phone numbers I'd greatly appreciate it. I will not be paying these people a dime.

becca1980 Jan 17, 2011

i just recieved the same phone call from a collection agency stateing the same thing owed late fees for movies and games i never rented and i was renting until one day i went into the store and they said no more renting because were going out of business so how can i owe 309.00 in late fees and still rent ????? and the collection lady told me to prove it how hollywood video is closed so she said i"ll send u paper work on it and hung up on me who do these businesses think they are and how can they get away with it and there is no number to call what do u do

• St
    Stef D Feb 08, 2011

I also received a collection notice for 230.00. The collection notice says nothing about what I owe money for. I tried calling 503-570-1600 which is the corporate office in Wilsonville, OR. It said the business is no longer in operation. The voice mail said to send an email to [email protected] and of course that email was returned. I know I owe Hollywood Video nothing. In fact they owe me money from having a credit with them when they decided to go out of business. I bought hundreds of dollars in dvd's from them I felt that was the right thing to do. However, this is not right.