Harris Bank Complaints & Reviews

Harris BankThis Harris Private Bank is not trustworthy

Avoid Harris Private Bank. I have a documented trail of email from Harris VP Jack Ablin that a man I believed was "unfit" to manage my account would be removed from that account. They were supposed to actively manage a portfolio worth over $1, 300, 000.Harris not only left him in charge of my portfolio, they also refuse to reimburse me for the $80, 000 that was lost.

This Harris Private Bank is not trustworthy.

Harris BankHeight of ridiculousness.

I have applied for loan modification but Harris Bank had denied my application due to low income. The second thing really irritated me was when Jessica ( the representative of Harris) hung up on me in between the conversation. I called again, and then she made one of her co-worker to answer the phone. I requested him if i can speak to Jessica but he said "she is on the phone and we don't know how long she will take." He should have asked for my contact information but he didn't. Height of ridiculousness.

• Si
        Sissy101 Aug 07, 2012

I'm now a customer of Harris bank, since the bank I originally started with was purchased by Harris. I agree, the customer service is horrible. The people do not know their own bank products. When speaking to them on the phone, they tell you one thing. If you go to the branch bank they tell you another. My original business checking account was changed to the Harris system and was now loaded with fees and service charges. I went into the branch to see what can be done to avoid the fees and the branch manager said to my face, "I'm sorry I don't know our products." Then who does? You are the branch manager! All Harris knows how to do is fraud their customers with high fees, services charges and scams. This bank is run by idiots. Do not bank here, it is terrible.

Harris BankDECEPTIVE PRACTICES/ LYING/ RUDE BEHAVIOR

THERE WAS NO NOTIFICATION OF A DEFAULT DATE SENT TO ME, THE PROPERTY OWNER. THE DEFAULT DATE SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN GONE TO THE LAWYER'S OFFICE. IT WAS DUE TO BEING LATE, NOT DELINQUENT, ON PROPERTY TAXES ON A BUSINESS PROPERTY. THE MORTGAGE IS NOT LATE BUT WHEN THE PROPERTY TAXES INCREASED IN ONE INSTALLMENT FROM $8000 TO $17000, I GOT BEHIND ON THE TAXES ONLY. I CAUGHT UP WITHIN THE YEAR AND THEN MADE TAX PAYMENTS AGAIN THAT LEAVE ME LATE BUT MAKING MONTHLY PAYMENTS. THEY SENT A LETTER FROM A LAW FIRM TO A GUARANTOR ON THE LOAN WITH THE WRONG ADDRESS FOR MY BUSINESS AND DEMANDED PAYMENT FROM HIM. THEY ADMIT THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED BUT IT DID. THEY DON'T CARE THEY MADE A MISTAKE. THEY ARE A BIG ARROGANT BANK THAT ACTS AS IF THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE WITH NO CONSEQUENCES. THEIR MOTTO "WE'RE HERE TO HELP" IS TOTALLY FALSE. THEY DONT EVEN TRY.

Harris Bankoverdraft fees

This bank is making a bundle. Charge fees on top of fees. Charged us a $32 fee for a .99 itunes purchase because a check we deposited hadn't cleared. When we were in extreme financial straights, this bank charged us so many fees that the fees themselves were causing overdrafts. We scrambled to keep up, making deposits, returning purchases, etc. They were rude, coy, demeaning, and simply treated us like crap. I would never recommend this bank in a million years. I hope they go down in this crisis.

• Me
            Me-ow Sep 11, 2009

Wachovia, others sued over 'bad-faith' overdraft fees

• Re
            ReggStar Jul 07, 2012

I WAS CHARGED $105 OVERDRAFT FEE FOR $18 DOLLARS!!! WOW

Harris Bank — Poor Communication/Poor services

I was financed through this company by the dealership I bought my car through. Harris bank doesn't send...

Harris BankScam charge

I accepted a check from my neighbors for my old car. I told them a check was fine (they're my neighbors for Christ sake). I went to this godforsaken bank to cash the check (as my bank is 2 hours away, I recently moved), and these rat b******s tell me there is a $5 fee to cash the check, since I'm not a Harris customer. I asked to speak to the manager, when out comes a rude and surly woman with facial piercings. I was told that I could open an account or not cash the check, or pay the $5 fee, and I stated 'Why would I give you all the interest on my money, and then you charge people I write checks to $5 to cash them? Do you not make enough money on the customer's money you are earning interest on, or the lines of credit using the other customer's money? You are charging me to get money that isn't even yours.

I would never put my money in a place with these practices. Why should my employees pay to cash their check at the end of the week.' It was not a big check, $1200, but I stated that the interest they would have earned on my money would have far exceeded the $5 they screwed me out of... probably in less than 20 minutes they would have made their $5. The manager walked away while I was talking. Surprise.

I called customer service, No difference there. I informed them to have their attorneys watch the newspapers and Internet, as I could assure them this was going to surface. My plan is to let the rest of the US population know what a bunch of shysters this outfit is, and for it to cost them a hell of a lot more than the $5 they screwed me out of.

• Co
              Concerned Citizen Jul 17, 2008

Most of bigger banks have this policy. if you don't have an account with them, they want you to go to your own bank and cash your checks, otherwise for your convience you have to pay $5.00
              You probably just never came across to this policy before.

James Jul 29, 2008

Every bank has a fee for cashing other banks checks. Calling Harris a cheat is inapropriate and overboard. Try opening your own shop. And having every Tom-Dick and Harry come to you for service for every little thing with out charge and see how you fee about working for free!!!

• Bo
              Bob Aug 06, 2008

The reason why u dont go to the bank that u with is cose you dont have any money!!! There?????????????

• Bo
              Bob Aug 06, 2008

Why didnt you drove 2hrs to go to your bank may be you would save $5.00 in gas!!!

• Me
              Me-ow Sep 11, 2009

I read this article on Law.com a couple of months ago:

Wachovia, others sued over 'bad-faith' overdraft fees

Wouldn't be surprised to see a case against Harris join the list.

• Na
              Najera Dec 13, 2010

Harris Bank is terrible about imposing fees for EVERYTHING, even if you are trying to make an automobile loan payment online or per telephone. If you make an autoloan payment and you are three minutes late on the deadline, they will impose the late payment charge on your account. Last year we were experiencing very hard times, I fell behind on our automobile loan by one payment. I talked with one of their representatives and proposed to get caught up within three months, by making the payments on a weekly basis for an amount equal a month's payment + 1/3 of a month's payment. The loan officer said that it would be fine, and HB would not charge the late payments. After the three months passed and I caught up with the automobile loan payments. the HB SOBs imposed 4 late payment charges to my account. The HB SOBs would not honor what was agreed by one of their loan officers.

marymomof2 Feb 24, 2011

Are you really [censor]ing over $5? GET A LIFE DUDE..

• Ru
              Ruedog Jun 28, 2011

Just because most banks have a $$ service charge for these items does not make it right or wrong. What people and customers are willing to pay is what constitutes what banks can charge. I personally feel the tendency toward laziness in this country is what drives companies like banks to charge what they can. Many people feel financial companies have the "Do what we can get away with" attitude. Some of this is with good reason. Look at the laws which govern financial malpractice. The CEO of a hedge fund or mutual fund faces a maximum penalty of a $$ fine without any jail time for years of financial malfeasance. It doesn't take a Kellogg MBA to figure out that this is a great way to make a ton of money with very little risk. Many people are too busy with work, kids, homes, etc to have time to chase after their banks that are ripping them off. So they do their best to be on time, and do the right thing. If they slip up the banks will be there to capitalize on it. We must teach our children the lesson from this and to plan, schedule, and budget better and more conservatively.

• To
              TOOSERIOUS Jun 06, 2012

I have to say, I am not too worried about 5.00. I do understand your complaint. Why does this bank and other banks need to make more money on transferring paper. My complaint has to do with the attitudes, rudeness and demeaning tones they use when they call every person in your family probably found on the internet. I do intend on stating with the bank privacy acts that are not being followed by these Chicago based ###! I have had one and only one helpful conversation during my loan period. I am almost ready to say, "come pick up your pos which you will never make back your lost money on and leave me alone!"

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices