Guardian Alarms Complaints & Reviews

Guardian AlarmsSecurity System Contract

On 9/4/2014 a salesperson representing Guardian (AMP Security) was making house to house cold calls to residents in the area my mother was living. My mother was 88 years old, living alone and is very hard of hearing. For whatever reason, she allowed Mr. Johnny Garcia into her home and he talked her into purchasing a 60 month security system with Guardian. Mother advised the family of this in passing conversation. It is my opinion that Mr. Garcia took advantage of a vulnerable adult in order to make a sale. The likelihood of mother living to the end of the contract period is possible but not probable given her age at purchase. On Oct 14, 2015 mother sold her home since she is no longer physically able to live alone. In the process of cancelling all of her utilities, etc I called for her to cancel the security system speaking with Mr. Chris Parent in the Account Management Dept. Mr. Parent advised that the service could not be cancelled because she has bought a 60 month service and there were still 47 months remaining. The options given that she could do was transfer the service to the new owner (he has been advised of this), pay a $750 penalty to cancel or transfer the service to my home where she now resides (I do not want it). I am giving your company the opportunity to do the right thing by cancelling the contract on the date the house was sold before I pursue the matter further with local consumer affairs authorities. Linda Coker (daughter, PoA)

Guardian AlarmsScam

Guardian Security will trick you into a 3 yr Contract. They will tell you, that the contract is for 1 year, turns out, that if you don't read, its 3 YRS!!! I tried canceling because I have Vonage as a phone service, instead of a land line. To cancel they are charging me over $1400 for the equipment. That is insane! I told them they can have it back.

I guess, I will let them put it on my credit, and just won't pay. I will let 7 yrs lapse on my credit before I giver them a dime. Don't USE this Company.

• Km
    kmartin7 Oct 28, 2009

I got tricked into a similar situation, only I did read it, and found the original to be incorrect, and asked the guy to fix it. The problem is, I didn't read the second one, and it was for a higher price! So I paid it for 3 years, sent a cancellation letter 45 days in advance, but they said they, "never recieved it." Imagine that.

So they have been trying to charge me for another year's worth of monitoring. I paid 3 months over when my contract was up (so it wouldn't reflect badly on my credit) until I could get it resolved. The company won't budge. Do not use this company. Do searches on the web for "CSG Guaridan Security Scam", and you'll find very similar complaints across the country.

• Do
    Downhearted Apr 29, 2010

I also fulfilled my 3 year contract and because they did not receive my cancellation letter before the 3rd year had expired they automatically renewed my contract without notification. They now want me to pay a buyout in order to cancel the contract. The company is unethical, unprofessional, and predatory. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

anthony coligado Sep 04, 2014

I notify Guardian Alarm that I am cancelling my alarm which I had for more so many years. They told me that I have to pay the extra 5 more years because my contract of 12/15/2008 expires after 5 years and RENEWED ITSELF every 5 years. Because I did not notify them within 60 days of the 5 year maturity of 2013 I am now locked for another 5 years or maybe for LIFE if I forget to cancel within 60 days after the next 5 years of maturity. Very hideous fine print that I did not even know. DO NOT GET into a contract with this company-Guardian Alarm.

anthony coligado Sep 04, 2014

Not satisfied with GUARDIAN ALARM customer service.

• Ti
    Tishylugal May 04, 2016

The other day someone came to my door, saying he represented Honeywell keypads. He said he noticed that I had The Monitoring Center alarm company, and they use the older Honeywell keypads. He wanted to put in, for FREE, a new Honeywell keypad which allowed wireless alarm coverage, instead of landline, and which was much faster in response time than the old (3 year old) system I was using. He came in, looked at the keypad. I asked if that was going to change my monthly cost, he said no it would be the same. He showed me how the new keypad worked...all digital, speaker on the keypad, remote access via smartphone etc. I repeatedly asked him about any costs, he said it was free if they could put a sign up in my yard to advertise while they were contacting neighbors. I pushed him on guaranteeing that my monthly rate would remain the same, and finally he said it might be a bit more, since I would be switched to Guardian Alarm!!! This after 20 minutes of saying that The Monitoring Center would not raise my rates!! Technically true, since I would be no longer using them!! Complete scam attempt!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices