Fit-U Complaints & Reviews

Fraud/Deceptive Practices

I signed up at a Gold's Gym in Stockton Ca. over a year ago and used the gym regularly up until September 2011, from that time I have been going to military schools to include using the Gym provided by the military.
I liked using Gold's Gym and had automatic payments setup to withdraw the monthly fee. Then my bank shuts off my bank card because they had seen fraudulent activity from a place called Fit-U charging my account over the last three months for the amount of $160.00 total. So I went to my bank to find out what was going on then I went to where Gold's Gym used to be and now it is called Fit-U. Talked with the manager and stated my contract was with Gold's Gym not with Fit-U, the manager replied "Oh we are the same company we just changed our name". I said hold on my contract specifically states my agreement is with Gold's Gym and does not state that the contract can be moved to another company. He again said "yes we are the same company as Gold's Gym", I then said why does your flyer say "As of June 1, 2012 this location will no longer operate as a Gold's Gym facility" (I picked the flyer up today). He started talking about stuff he bought out side the country, he kept getting off track and would never answer my questions. The obvious issue here is I was being lied to and Fit-U has taken money from a non-member, I think this is a clear case of fraud. I have read my Gold's Gym contract and showed it to the manager to include pointing out that my contract was not with Fit-U.

I would advise anyone not to join Fit-U until they come clean about how they operate and conduct business, this company has fraud written all over it. I want my freak'en money back so my next step is off to JAG to see if this company has committed fraud and deceptive practices.

nicole reveles Aug 27, 2012

I have had a similiar problem with this. I cancelled my Golds Gym membership in early June and just got billed from Fit U 199.98 in August. I never had a membership with Fit U and terminated and paid the $25 term fee in cash and fit u has no tangible proof of this, they do claim to be the same corp and same company I was told they have a new owner. I have also submitted a credit card dispute. and may even go to small claims. The manager Chris does remeber me cancelling but the filing system changed and they claim to have no paperwork to proof it.

• Cl
    Claudia G. Aug 31, 2012

The training program at Fit U Hammer Lane is a fraud. I signed up a couple of months ago for a one month training program for a total of $89 dollars. About a week and half later, they charged me $230 dollars for a 6 month training membership (I did NOT authorize it). I went to the trainer -Francisco Barriga and he told me that the charge was a mistake that he was going to take care of everything and that I was going to get my money deposited directly to my bank account the following week. I waited, and waited, and a month later I found there was another $140 dollar charge. I immediately cancelled the automatic withdrawal of money from my bank account and went to talk to the trainer again. He gave me the same story as before. Today is like the 7th time (this month only) I go to the gym trying to unsuccessfully collect my money as he told me he was going to pay me out of pocket. I am so frustrated about it, they not only stole my money, but they are also making me waist my time. The company does not want to reimburse me any money because the trainer put me on a 6 month membership and apparently my contract is lost.
    I know that there is many more people on the same situation, please take our advice and DO NOT get personalized training at Fit U, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY!

nicole reveles Sep 01, 2012

Dont join they dont FIT U you can find much better

• Ro
    Robert Magdaleno Mar 26, 2013

My wife and I signed up to Golds Gym sometime last year. We each paid in full for a year and by doing so got the second year free. Seemed like great deal. We paid extra to have access to both gyms. They told us it would open in September of 2012 and the latest December 2012. We waited and waited for the other gym to open. Never did until sold to Fit-U. No one had answers for us. No one in corporate to talk to. I believe we were scammed out of a year from Golds Gym for never opening the other gym that we paid for. If I can, I would love to get my money back from what I'm owed or be compensated with a year of free membership for my wife and I.

• Sh
    sh J Jul 21, 2014

i just received a bill from a collection company representing FIT -U of Stockton in the amount of 149.00. I also received phone calls from the collection company stating my membership was cancelled and i needed to pay "the life of the membership" which is why i am being billed. Fact 1) I joined Gold's Gym 2 years ago and paid 19.99 per month until January of 2014 when I cancelled my membership. Fact 2) Fit U (formerly Gold's) made it very difficult to speak with a manger to ensure my membership was cancelled. I went there several times, had an appointment with the manager hence she was never available. Fact 3) i mailed a certified letter and spoke with the corporate office several times and they assured me that my membership would be cancelled. Now 6 months later im getting a collection company calling me and sent a letter stating i owe fit u $149.00. this company demonstrates deceptive billing practices hence i am forwarding to the better business bureau and encourage a class action lawsuit against
    FIT-U for consumer fraud and deceptive billing practices.

• Un
    unheard off Aug 18, 2014

This gym facility need to close. They lie and steal
    money from their customers and. I have the same issue happen to me and now i am being threaten they will submit my account to collection even knowing the fact that I cancelled my membership since april 2014.

Fraud

I liked using Gold's Gym and had automatic payments setup to withdraw the monthly fee. Then my bank shuts off my bank card because they had seen fradulent activity from a place called Fit-U charging my account over the last three months for the amount of $160.00 total. So I went to my bank to find out what was going on then I went to where Gold's Gym used to be and now it is called Fit-U. Talked with the manager and stated my contract was with Gold's Gym not with Fit-U, the manager replied "Oh we are the same company we just changed our name". I said hold on my contract specificly states my agreement is with Gold's Gym and does not state that the contract can be moved to another company. He again said "yes we are the same company as Gold's Gym", I then said why does your flyer say "As of June 1, 2012 this location will no longer operate as a Gold's Gym facility" (I picked the flyer up today). He started talking about stuff he bought out side the country, he kept getting off track and would never answer my questions. The obvious issue here is I was being lied to and Fit-U has taken money from a non-member, I think this is a clear case of fraud. I have read my Gold's Gym contract and showed it to the manager to include pointing out that my contract was not with Fit-U.

I would advise anyone not to join Fit-U until they come clean about how they operate and conduct business, this company has fraud written all over it. I want my freak'en money back so my next step is off to JAG to see if this company has commited fraud and deceptive practices.

nicole reveles Sep 01, 2012

Dont join they dont FIT U you can find better. I also have complained to BBB.