Firstline Complaints & Reviews

FirstlinePoor business practice

After dealing with this company for just a short period of time, I have found them to be very unconnected with how to run a business. First they waived the $99.00 activation fee only to end up charging me anyway, after sending in proof that the representative waived the fee they promised to return that money (a year later, never did). When they came to install the security system the guy tried to install one of their outdated systems thank goodness my husband saw that was not the system they promised. After 2 days he finally returned with the right system, only to then find out they only give 2 detectors to place in the home, only because of the layout of the house only one door would be protected, leaving one door and several windows vulnerable. After another 2 days, they get permission to install more detectors to place so that the other doors and windows are covered. Ok so they fixed the problem, so we thought. When you set the alarm for doors, Windows & motions and go to bed. Wake up come downstairs no delay time, alarm goes off. They come back now we can only use doors & windows. Now here we are its May 2017, they sent this box that contained I don't know what, but on the outside of the box it had a sticker that said if you open it you agree to the terms and conditions, not knowing what those were I returned the box unopened to ups and sent it back (remember unopened). On June 5, 2017 I viewing my bank statement and this people have taken an unauthorized amount from my account for firstline voice. I called them right away, I started calling them at 11:30am - got recording press 2 for a voice representative, press 2 that voice said leave a message I did. It's now 5:54pm same day and I'm still waiting. I call all day even trying to speak with someone about my security system, recording system said representative were busy, they have been busy since 11:30am. To me this is poor business practice and if anybody takes the time to read my complaint I beg you please DON'T use this company tell your family and friends DON'T use this company, unless you like a whole lot of problems.

Comment Guidelines

4 Responses
    • Sk
      Skyy Mar 05, 2009

This company filed for bankruptcy. If you're in the same boat as myself, your contract was almost immediately given to SAI even though no one bothered to let you know you're "advertising" for a company that is no longer in business. http://www.alarmsystemreviews.com/firstline-security-declares-bankruptcy.html

• Je
      Jerry Feb 23, 2009

I signed up for the FirstLine alarm system back in August of 07. Yes I was told I was selected for a free alarm system as a model neighborhood home. I do not remember any follow up phone calls from FirstLine about my satisfaction with the system. I have not had problems with false alarms, the system just doesn't work. It shuts off for weeks. All light on the panel go off and stay that way for weeks. No phone call from monitoring company about system condition or anything. The last time the system went down the lights were off for three weeks. I had checked the power source and all was good. Then one evening it just comes back on. Announces all systems are good and starts beeping. I enter my pass code and puch the disarm button. It announces system disarmed and then continues to beep all night long. After repeated efforts to enter the code the beeping has been silenced. At no time was I called by the alarm company about system malfunction. There has been no indication that the system is monitored by anyone other than the beeping in my panel and me having to listen to the noise. I am submitting a letter to terminate the contract for failure of the company to uphold its agreement to monitor the system and for the failure of the system to perform up the contract standards.

• Re
      Read your Contract Nov 07, 2008

Many complaints have been filed because people don't read their contracts. The customer above complains that their whole house wasn't protected. Come on for the amount of money the company invested in you already with their expensive equipment you should consider yourself lucky that you got extra equipment. You will only give this company about $1600 and the probably gave you around $1200 worth of equipment. Take in the fact that they had to pay the rep and tech and have to pay to keep your account active they are probably taking a loss on your account.

As far as the news reports go maybe if Michael Finney had any clue how to report both sides of an issue rather then make it completely biased the publicity wouldn't be so bad. He interviewed sales reps who obviously sucked at sales and had to fall to lying to get sales. If Firstline is so bad how come they have less then 1% of their customers in California with an issue? Any company would be thrilled to have that low of a number. There are a few customers who are unhappy some legitamitely and other are just adults who don't want to take personal accountability for signing a contract they should have read.

• Ns
      nsdavis Aug 19, 2008

This company is very unprofessional. Has been the subject of very bad publicity and many complaints have been registered with TV channel 7 in San Francisco, CA on "Michael Finney On Your Side" segment of the nightly news.

FirstlineWill not cancel account

I appear to have been a victim of a scam that has been rampant. If is described in great detail at:
    /URL removed/ Basically Firstline Security (now bankrupt, www.4firstline.com) duped me into a three year contact which requires I pay in full if I cancel my monitoring service (Monitronics). They came to my house and explained the deal and said I had time to try the service. I found that the install was minimal at best, only two doors were protected in total and a motion sensor. When a false alarm was registered I received a phone call stating that my alarm system was not registered with the police department.

I've tried to contact the monitoring company Monitronics, and they refuse to cancel my monitoring service. This appears to be an issue as its described on multiple occassions here:

There are several outstanding issues which include:
    - I was misbilled on several occassions.
    - I was promised to have additional sensor to be installed free of charge for my windows and doors.
    - I was promised that my alarm system registration would be resolved.
    - Since FirstLine's bankruptcy, I have not been able to reach a customer representative for several months.
    - I've received a letter stating another company, Alarm Services, will be taking over my account and handling the billing.
    - There has been speculation that FirstLine security isn't even licensed in the State of Maryland to sell/monitor alarm systems. But if they use a separate monitoring service, I do not know if this is legal or not.

As a everyday consumer, I cannot afford to pay 3 years worth of monitoring especially when I was only meaning to try the service out. And for every month I do not pay my balance, they add a 10% interest fee. I fear that this may goto collects and hurt my credit history. Is there any assistance or advice you can provide to help me out of this?

Comment Guidelines

2 Responses
      • Ec
        E C in New York Nov 22, 2008

To the stupid ###, "Read Your Contract". They DO NOT ASK YOU AT ALL. They assure you that you can try it and then cancel at ANY TIME. They mislead you all the time. When I pointed out the clause in the contract, he said, don't worry, it's only a formality because it's being offered by GE and they will cancel at any time...

I know, I'm stuck in the same mess and feel like a complete klutz. I cannot cancel my service because they want 3 years worth of payments right now.

I care 2 hoots about my credit and I'm going to make sure they get their butts kicked by Consumer Affairs.

• Re
        Read your Contract Nov 07, 2008

Where does personal accountability set in? You were DUPED into a contract? What are you an adult with a Jr. High Schoolers mentality where you are trying to fit in with the cool kids? Come on take some personal responsibility for your actions. The contract clearly states that you are signing a 36 month agreement (twice actually) Also Firstline asked you before and after your install if you agreed to the 36 month agreement. If you didn't say YES they wouldn't have activated your account. I find it interesting that you find it so easy to blame a company for your own lack of action.

You state that your registration was not taken care of but your contract CLEARLY states that YOU (not Firstline) is responsible for the contract. This is just another complaint from a consumer who neither read not cared to read the contract he was signing. People only agree with contracts when it's in their favor just like the person above.