First Bank Complaints & Reviews

First BankAtm machine

I used my uba atm card on the first bank atm machine in ojodu-berger on the 27th of july 2014 . I was debited to the tune of 20, 000 (twenty thousand naira only) without payment. I waited a while and then proceeded to the second atm machine outside where i was able to withdraw 20, 000. Thereafter, i proceeded to uba branch in grammar school, omole to lodge the complaint, without response i came to uba area 11 branch, abuja to make a repeated complaint. Yesterday 3rd december, 2015 they eventually told me that i collected the money whereas, i did not. Please, i want my money. My name is esogban sunday afiazobhe, uba account number [protected], phone number [protected]. Thank you.

First Bankunethical

They refused to release $50-$100 so I could make home from being stranded in the mountains because I lost my wallet and other ATM card. I was robbed, almost died, didn't eat for 4 days. They would rather see there customers stranded than take a chance of losing $50 if the check didn't clear. I have direct deposit for $3000 every two weeks and am very low rist. If you bank here your banking with an unethical company that could careless about the customer. All they care about is profit and remember that when you go to open an account. YOUR DEALING WITH THE DEVIL IF YOU BANK WITH THEM AND CHANCES ARE THERE FEES AT THE BANK WILL REFLECT THERE ATTITUDE TOWARD YOU. IF YOU BANK HERE YOU SUPPORT CORPERATE GREED.

4 Responses
      • Je
        Jeff_will58 Jun 03, 2016

I am a current Employee with Empire Finance, we conduct business with these banks in particular in our area. Today I was doing my normal deposit, to be confronted with an employee who was not please with my appearance, she continued to spread her complaints to me stating "She could not believe I am working with my current company." Then proceeded to contact my management. Causing more issues on my end with my boss having to confront me; in which he saw no issue, but because of this lady it has impacted my employers view on my position in the company, endangering my own employment.

• Ga
        gatortracks Jun 12, 2012

You just described a bank with good security. That's good advertising for them.

• Al
        aliwithani84 Jun 12, 2012

GEOMMM is a bank shill.

• Fi
        First banks bad ethics. Jun 12, 2012

.I depositred a check and they made $500 avaidable and I spent it. I went camping and lost my bank card from another bank andcard the cash Iup had. I called first bank and explained I was stranded snd asked if they could release $50 to $100you cash so I could make it home. There was one gas station in the town that took cash. I begged them to do it and they could see I was employed and had a $4000 direct deposit every two weeks. They still wouldn't do it. They left me stranded in the top of the Rockies I lost 24 lbs in three days, missed 3 days of work, and got punched out and lost a tooth all because first bank would release $100 out of the $900 left from the deposit. This shows how much they appeciate there customers. IF YOU BANK WITH THEM YOU ARE COMPASSION TO CORPERATE GREED AND LACK OF COMPASION

First BankDishonest Business Practice

I went into a branch because I wanted the free kindle fire offer. Seemed pretty simple: 1) Open a checking account, 2) sign up for online banking, 3) have a direct deposit of over $300 or have three bill payments to separate companies. I made it clear that I was only doing this for the offer and I had banking assets elsewhere. The banker started going over all the services that I'm automatically enrolled in because they can only setup accounts in packages (eg. both checking and savings accounts). He said he ran my credit and that I automatically qualify for their overdraft protection program which is basically a $2, 000 overdraft loan. I said didn't want it because they would charge me $25 after the six month trial. I informed him that obviously my credit is good so why would I be overdrafting my account anyway? He would not allow me to not be enrolled which I found out later is prohibited by the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/08/pf/checking-accounts/index.htm?iid=HP_LN). Additionally, I said I did not want a debit card if they were going to charge me for those services and sure enough, I got a debit card in the mail this week. They are also going to charge me for checks which I said usually get's waived if I have over a certain dollar amount in assets with them. I said I'd be willing to bring in more assets if fees would be waived and they said that they don't do such things. I felt like complete crap because they pretty much forced me into a bunch of things but I felt I could deal with it for a short time to get a Kindle. The worst part is that I got a notification from my credit monitoring service that First Bank had done a hard inquiry to open my account!!! I was in the middle of the mortgage process which is completely not a good thing to have my interest at a higher rate. I went in and explained the situation to the manager and she completely dismissed my concerns stating "It is corporate policy and industry best practices to do a hard inquiry." Complete bull ... I spoke with bankers at Chase, Wells Fargo, Ent, and PNC Bank. All of them confirmed that the only thing done is maybe a soft inquiry. Wells Fargo doesn't even do that but has a system that checks with other banks whether I, the customer, has any outstanding or bad accounts with them. All of the previously mentioned banks also offered free checks, free debit cards, and free overdraft protection that goes into the savings account rather than a line of credit.

I also made the same complaint via email which then got forwarded to another manager in the branch I opened up my account in and he also completely dismissed my complaints. He was even putting the blame on me and saying that they have secret shoppers that go out and see what other banks are charging. I guess they must like being the most fee heavy bank because no other banks have treated me this poorly. My advice: I would definitely stay away from First Bank. Customer appreciation is certainly not alive and well there. Their new motto is the complete opposite of that old saying "The customer is always right."

2 Responses

First BankBad customer service

Horrible customer service. When they make a mistake on your account they pretty much say oops or they blame someone else, not taking responsibility. I just opened an acct and they clearly dont care about keeping me as a valued customer.

I asked many questions about the accts and fees and i didnt hear anything about fees! uh oh...im not looking forward to dealing with them about that...they don't listen to problems that they cause and they dont care to deal with them either.

7 Responses
          • Ke
            keith “Barbusie” smith Aug 16, 2016

First Bank will not release 456.00 of my money.. They put a hold on it so THEY can pay
            on a transaction that was canceled a week ago, about 5 days.. They say the money will
            be back in my account by midnight on the 16th, but I am from MISSOURI.. I'll only believe it when
            I see it.. Costumer service truly SUCKS at FIRST BANK, and this is the second time it's happened..
            I seriously doubt I will allow a third time.. I will be looking for another bank that WILL NOT PLAY with
            their COSTUMERS MONEY LIKE THIS.. I am on disability and have to try an survive on $1250.00
            a month.. $ 456.00 is a matter of whether I can eat or not in any one month.. I am real disappointed
            with this bank.. BUT, I guess I need to make other arrangements...

• Re
            Reviewer66112 Oct 28, 2015

Sent my daughter to make cash deposit and she did but after two hours i was called that the notes has one fake, of which i asked if it was not been checked before she left the banking hall, was told that CBN is aware of this procedure of collecting and later call to inform customer of any default.

• Ki
            kittykat21 May 14, 2015

amen!

• Tr
            TRUTHBETOLD2015 May 14, 2015

I just closed my account with this bank. They charge for the debit card annually, a $10.00 fee. The customer service is extremely bad, and they are always looking for ways to charge your account. It is like going back in time with filling out deposits slips at the atm. When you go inside the branch, they give you a pink receipt for your deposit like in the olden days. I cannot understand why they are still in business! The branch on Warner & Alma School in Chandler AZ is the worst with the white haired female banker sitting at her perch as you walk in the door with a bad attitude. I recommend that you bank at one of the top banking institutions where the service is 100% better, and you don't have to worry about rude behavior and stepping back into time.

• Ro
            Rod Henderson Sep 07, 2014

They constantly manipulate your account balance so that they can charge you for multiple overdraft fees at $39.95 a piece instead of maybe the one you might have that there so called overdraft protection is supposed to cover.

• Un
            Unhappy Customer 22 Jun 05, 2013

The worst drive thru tellers I have every had to deal with. Rude and down right mean! Can't believe they can get away with treating their customers (former customer) that way!! They are not friendly and yelled at me across the lobby!! Never go to this bank too many good banks around!!!

• Di
            Disappointed008 Feb 17, 2010

Terrible! They charged me over draft fees before I over drafted and wouldn't refund them and when I called and they were the most condescending service people I have met. I switched from Bank of America to get away from banks that couldn't care less about helping you out. I am very disappointed in them.

First BankHidden Monthly Fees

I signed up for First Bank with $100 for a free iPod. You have to leave the money in for 6 months, so I never checked my balance and assumed they were taking good care of my $100. A little over a year later and that $100 had shrunk to $52.50 with tons of monthly fees that nobody at First Bank told me about. Somehow I got signed up for bill pay, which is $5/month if you don’t pay 3 bills per month. When I complained, they refunded a measly $5 of the $47.50 they had taken and said I should have read the hundreds of pages of fine type legalese documents.

First Bankhidden fees

Tons of hidden fees that are never mentioned - I suggest you go with a more up-front bank without hidden fees.

I signed up with $100 for a free iPod. You have to leave the money in for 6 months, so I never checked my balance and assumed they were taking good care of my $100. A little over a year later and that $100 had shrunk to $52.50 with tons of monthly fees that nobody told me about. Somehow I got signed up for bill pay, which is $5/month if you don't pay 3 bills per month. I never would have signed up for this since I wasn't even using the account, just leaving my money in there. When I opened the account, the friendly staff person asked if I wanted a debit card - I said 'sure', thinking it might come in handy if I decided to use the account. It was never mentioned that there is a yearly charge of $7.50.

3 Responses
              • Dk
                dkeshia Apr 21, 2012

My next step is with BBB

• Dk
                dkeshia Apr 21, 2012

I'm going through an issue as well I see them reordering the posting of my transactions. I will sue. What I have started doing is printing my online statements showing where transactions cleared my account then mysteriously pop back up as not being cleared causing me to be in negative and be charged excessive fees. O did I mentioned it took forever to be able to access my account on line due to initial set up. Then initial set up with overdraft I had that for one month. Didn't know I had it but when they stoppedit was told they do not have to notify me per their policy. Soo your saying your going to spend ny money how you see fit?! Actively looking for another bank. I do not recommend thus bank Brentwood TN

• Na
                nathantomlin Mar 05, 2011

I posted the complaint - After filing a report with the Better Business Bureau, First Bank sent me a check for all the money taken for fees.

First BankOverdraft limit and fees

I just want others out there to know that First Bank is a horrible bank--if you're smart, do not bank with them. They do reordering of checks so that they can give more overdraft fees (taking out say a check for a $1000 first, which puts you close to $0, and then subsequent transactions that may be for as little as $2 will be put through for a bank fee of $32). They don't tell you when you get an account that they allow you to overdraft by $750! Now I know that I am responsible for checking what I spend, but to make a long story short, my husband and I use the same account, and somewhere along the way we went into the negative and it snowballed from there out of control. They don't let you know you're over until a week later or more in the mail. So they kept posting transactions after that $750, instead of declining the transaction. And get this, after we're charged $32 for each of those overdrafts past the $750, we get charged another $32 for the bank returning payment to whoever the check, etc. went to!! How is that even legal? If I can't spend past the $750, how do they think it's right for them to do it and then get double the fees from me?? I'd rather just be declined on transactions then for my account to get this bad. Also read the terms and agreements of your account, b/c once you sign and start using the account, you have a contract with the bank, and they can do pretty much anything they want to get as much money out of you as they can. First Bank may offer "Free Checking", but it is a joke!!! I'm closing my account and hopefully finding a better bank or credit union. First Bank in Missouri sucks!

6 Responses
                • bearKK Apr 27, 2010

First word: check... second word: register.
                  If everything had been written down, it wouldn't have mattered what order things posted.

• Ki
                  kissyface Apr 27, 2010

I completely agree with lawyersteph on this one. I am fed up with first bank and actually going to close my account tomorrow. The customer service grade: poor!!! I could not empathize more on this. There are hundreds of other banks I can go to and get much better service and the same products, I hope that they realize this.
                  And the overdraft is there so it can be used by the clients. That is allowed. It does not make you a dishonest person if you use it, nor does it make you a thief. It's there to make banks money and more than 50 percent of the time they will run items in the order they choose to make even more money.

Joe52 Apr 20, 2010

All perhaps true but there is SOME truth to what the lady is saying: banking institutions ARE intentionally allowing people to overdraw their accounts and processing the transaction instead of declining, up to a certain amount. This is just one way banks have found to fleece the not-so-rich. Your bank puts an automatic limit over that they allow the account to go into the red, because in most cases, they know you will just cover it later and after all... they just made another $32 profit from you!

Ironically, banks pretend they don't do this automatically and that there hate it when you overdraw your account. In reality, they love it when you are a small time banker and they get you for added fees because those fees and the loans the banks writes are the real assets or profit of the business.

It's quite a scam too because the banks are backed by the Fed so they have NOTHING to loose, even if you don't pay the fees and close the account; they still win from the hundreds that do and that's how banks get rich!

mamill67 Apr 06, 2010

you are NOT getting doubled charged from First Bank. I am not a First Bank employee but, do work for a bank. First Bank is charging you their $32.00 overdraft fee and the other $32.00 fee is coming from the merchant your wrote the check too. The merchant is charging you the $32.00 fee due the fact they are being charged a fee from their bank for YOUR bad check being returned, all the merchant is doing is recoving the fee assessed to them due to YOUR bad accounting.

MARLITA Oct 14, 2008

fake check for 4890.00 SHOPPERS SWEEPSTAKES WINNING NOTIFICATION

MARLITA Oct 14, 2008

fake check for 4890.00

First Bank4% Money Market

The First Bank branch in Rocklin, CA posted a 4% Money Market account banner outside of their branch. I went in and opened an account. I wrote a check from brokerage account on Oct. 24, 2008, the check cleared my brokerage account on Oct 27, 2008, the money was no longer in this brokerage account and no longer making interest in this brokerage account. Today is Nov 5, 2008 (9 days) and this money is still not available in for withdrawl. This money is not earning interest? I called the customer service and explained that the brokerage account customer service confirmed that First Bank had the cash in their bank on Oct. 27. yet I am still not earning the 4$ interest, the First Bank customer service agent pretty much said he has no idea why, I believe from talking to this guy that he does not no what interest is. The question is this, who is earning the interest on my money if it is not me. The answer is: First Bank. I have had accounts at Bank of America and I have never seen this occur.

First BankPoor customer service

This is the lesson I just learned that cost me $224.00 in overdraught penalty fees. Yes, technically it was my fault because I made a mathematical error balancing my checkbook. But, my complaint is the rude customer service I received from First Bank here in St. Louis, MO when I called them to explain what I did, they just basically told me it was my tough luck and then they started lecturing me on being more responsible. I didn't want them to refund all the fees, just a portion if they could, but they acted like they couldn't care less to keep me as a customer, they had my money and thats the end of that.

What I did was make a mistake balancing my checking account which made me think I had more money than I actually did. I proceeded to use my debit card 7 times to make small purchases not knowing that I was being charged 32.00 for each item. One item I bought was for only a $1.80 but a was charged $32.00 by First Bank. Almost all the purchases I made were under $20.00. I thought my overdraught protection only applied to checks but I found out the hard way that they also apply to debit card purchases. A few years ago I made a mistake balancing my check book but when I tried to use my debit card to buy something it was rejected at the store. They told me they had changed their policy because the majority of First Bank customers had complained that they didn't like being embarrassed by having their cards rejected in a store. I asked them if they had taken a poll because no one at that bank had ever asked me my opinion on the subject.

They told me they sent me a letter telling me I had overdrawn my account but by that time I had already used my debit card 7 times. The irony is that I was going to use my most recent paycheck to open a savings account there but since they charged me $224.00 in fees I don't have enough money now to open a new account. That's OK though, after talking to two rude people there I am closing my account and will never give them another penny of my money again!

First BankFraud & scam

I went on line for a pay day loan and the next thing I know I have a debit from my checking account for the amount of 31.98 on 4/29 and then another debit on 5/29 for 31.98. I did not authorize these debits and i want the money refunded back into my account. If the money is not refunded I will pay the extra money for a lawyer to get the money credited because this is fraud.