Fafsa.com Complaints & Reviews

Fafsa.comcomputer crash after using this sight

I also made the mistake of going to this website for my fafsa. Horrified after entering in all my information then unable to go back and delete my social ect. Three days later I had 31 worm viruses and my computer crashed. I have a friend who is a computer genius who was able to destroy the virus but my email was stolen (i cannot access my email) and all my passwords had to be changed as well as cancelling all my credit card information. My current school email and passwords all had to be changed as well. It is unimaginable to me that this sight is legally allowed to exist. What a nightmare this has been for me. I feel somewhat relieved that I am not the only one who had this experience.

• Ku
    Kukuruyu Feb 25, 2012

I think we have to do a police report. I am a victim too. I couldn't accepted they use the goverment brand name "FAFSA" to do their practice. It has to be stop!!!

Fafsa.comthis 'service' charges $79.99 to fill out the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on your behalf

This 'legitimate business' is a disgusting and unfortunately successful SCAM preying on honest folks who just want to help their kids get money for college. It might not be technically illegal, but it sure ain't right.

Nowhere on the site's homepage does it CLEARLY say that FAFSA stands for FREE Application for Federal Student Aid... they do refer to it as the 'Application for Federal Student Aid' in very hard to miss large letters at the top. The fact that it's a free application is down at the bottom in little bitty letters. Again, not outright lying, but they are leaving probably the most important (and first) word in the title of the application out because it serves their scam artist agenda.

If you can read directions closely and have a basic grasp of the English language, then you can fill out a FAFSA by yourself correctly. There aren't any 'tricks' or ways to fool the application to get more aid, other than outright lying.

So there's nothing this company is really offering to do for the hard earned $79.95 you're supposed to shell out to them, other than to fill in information on the federal website that you've ALREADY FILLED OUT FOR THEM ONLINE AT THEIR WEBSITE ANYWAY.

If you don't understand something on the FAFSA, call the federal customer service line at 1-800-4-FED-AID directly and get a real person who works for the federal government that can assist you, not some company that just wants your money to do a FREE, EASY (though possibly time consuming) government application.

The FAFSA even tells you exactly what line items from every type of tax return form to use to answer each income question and explains exactly what each question means in detail.

FYI, I am a financial aid advisor at a private US university. You should NEVER pay to apply for a scholarships OR pay for people to find scholarships for you. AND FAFSA IS ALWAYS FREE! If you have problems completing the application and the FAFSA customer service folks can't help you, always contact your school, or the school(s) you're applying to first. They won't charge for helping you, either.

FAFSA.com is just plain UN-AMERICAN.

• Up
    upset student1 Mar 16, 2012

I also wonder and would like to know how they decide who gets how much money?? They say it's based on "needs" but I am a second year college student and have never received a cent from FAFSA. My mom is a third grade teacher and my dad is a realtor in a bad economy where no one is buying houses. He owns some property but that doesn't mean we have the money. Especially the 22, 000 dollars my fafsa application said was my family contribution. I just don't see how it is fare. I work very hard in school and get good grades while playing sports. I don't see why everyone else around me gets free money from the government that is more then enough and my family has to suffer and figure out ways to pay for school. Someone please explain to me how this is right.

• Mc
    MCPHSU17 Jan 11, 2016

Excellent company, who remembers to file it quickly and error free...definitely worth the 80 bucks!

• He
    Helaine Spitzer Jun 02, 2016

So, what, if anything can we do now? We've paid the $78 fee for the 3rd year, not knowing we could do it for free. How can they be allowed to be on the FAFSA website?

• He
    Helaine Spitzer Jun 02, 2016

What, if anything, can we do now? We've paid that stupid $78 fee for 3 years in a row! It wasn't until a co-worker told me she never pays to fill out a FAFSA form. How can they be allowed to be on their website? There is no indication that you are using a 3rd party to file. Also, how can I avoid this fee in the future by avoiding the 3rd party?

Fafsa.comMisleading clients

I incorrectly chose their site (.com vs .gov) to submit a my son's FAFSA data. My mistake for not paying closer attention. However, I don't believe this business should be allowed to use the same Acronym as the actual government site. That is just wrong. That's another story.

Before realizing that I had made a mistake with this page, the site told me that the deadline for submitting my information was the next day. This is absolutely false. I'm confident they are using this misinformation to get me to call any pay them to help in resolving the built in problems they created for me on their site form. Again, very misleading and dishonest.

Again, I accept responsibiity for using the wrong site. Their site may be completely legal, but it should not be allowed to present false information to potential customers to secure their business. Their business is fee for something that is already free. I know this goes on in other situations, but allowing them to use the internet with the same basic URL address as the government's page is wrong.

My two cents.

Rick Richey

• Ka
    Katherine King Jul 29, 2010

The above comment is longer to read than a FASFA application, and has almost nothing to do with the original complaint! I sympathize with Rick Richey, because I too used their website mistakenly and now receive emails every few days telling me that my FASFA is incomplete and that my deadline is coming soon. What's more, I can't delete my information, which means that it is being kept on file, including my social security number. I have sent them emails, but have received no response, no help. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a scam, but it's every bt as daunting to fill out the FASFA.com information as it is to fill out the FASFA.gov. In fact, it's practically identical! I have been advised by both FAFSA.gov representatives as well as as student financial aid advisors that a student should NEVER pay for scholarship applications. EVER. Sounds like good advice to me.

Fafsa.com — Obviously is a hoax

Fafsa.com is obviously a hoax because it charges for the financial aid. When I realized it, I went back to...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices