Discount Book Sales Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Discount Book SalesFraudulent use of credit card

Last December, I purchased a book from Discount Books Sales and unbeknown to me, i was signed up for a free trial in their discount club for $9.95 per month. I haven't purchased anything since that initial purchase and my husband recently found that we have been charged $9.95 every month since last December. We called to refute the fraudulent charges, but we were cut off twice when we were explaining our case. I then went to cancel our "membership" over the automated phone system. While sounding professional, the cancellation procedure is a continuous loop back to the beginning of the dialogue.

Resolved Discount Book SalesMembership SCAM

When you purchase from this company you are automatically unknowingly signed up for Best Brand Values "Discount" Club and charged a monthly membership fee of $9.95, and $19.95 for each subsequent month. When you try to call the number listed on the Best Brand Values website for cancellation, it is not a working number. I called the number on my credit card statement regarding these charges. I've been assured that my membership is cancelled. However, other complaints at this site say the charges continue after they assure you of cancellation.

This kind of SCAM must be stopped!

• Bh
    bhysong4 Jan 25, 2010

they charged my credit card 9.99 on top of what they charged me for my book I ordered. I never authorized this amount. NEVER give them your credit card number. I'll be fighting the charge.

• Si
    sitkashiva Jan 30, 2010

I am really worried. I tried to order a book. For some reason it would not accept my first credit card, I figured there was a glitch in the system and tried another card. Same thing, your credit card cannot be processed. I called the number provided on the website to try and do a phone order, a recording came on that stated that they could not accept phone orders at this time. No matter what I did I could not get through to an actual human being. Now I am really worried about the information that I provided this place.

• At
    ATTORNEYGENERALS Feb 27, 2010

REPORT IT TO YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL. MOST STATES HAVE A WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT. DO IT!

I JUST FOUND OUT THEIR LITTLE SCAM - I SIGNED UP FOR A CRUISE VACATION NEWSLETTER - WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THEY HAVE BEEN CHARGING ME. YOU CAN CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY OR BANK AND DISPUTE THE CHARGES BACK TO WHENEVER THEY STARTED TAKING OUT THE MONEY.

PHONE: 1-800-475-1942

WEBSITE: PROGRAMSTOP.COM

• Tj
    TJ COOLE Mar 15, 2010

These guys are a total scam.

I did call the number on my Amex bill and they gave me a cancellation ID#.
    Next I called American Express and they credited my account and barred any further charges from BBV Discount Book Sales.

I would contact your credit card people immediately and have them handle it rather than trust this bogus outfit to actually credit your "$9.99 dues" back to your card.

It's a shame there isn't a central clearing house for internet scams.

Resolved Discount Book SalesHIDDEN MEMBERSHIP FEE

I WAS CHARGED 19.95 MEMBERSHIP FEE IN ADDITION TO PURCHASE OF 9.09 FOR A BOOK. I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS CHARGE UNTIL I NOTICED IT ON MY BANK STATEMENT. I INQUIRED BY PHONE TO [protected] AND WAS INFORMED THAT THIS FEE WAS BECAUSE I HAD GOTTEN A DISCOUNT ON THE BOOK THAT I ORDERED AND THAT IT NEEDED TO BE CANCELLED WITHIN 3 DAYS OF MY ORDER.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT WAS NOT INDICATED TO ME AT THAT TIME OF PURCHASE, AND HERE IT IS ONE WEEK LATER. IF THIS WAS A LEGITIMATE OR REASONABLE CHARGE-WHYWAS IT NOT PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED TO ME AT TIME OF PURCHASE?
IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO ASSUME THAT IF CONSUMERS ARE ORDERING ONE DISCOUNTED BOOK WE ARE UNABLE TO AFFORD A MEMBERSHIP FEE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF THE BOOK ORDERED. THIS IS FLAGRANT CONSUMER FRAUD. I HAVE REPORTED THIS TO MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY, AND WILL CONTINUE TO PURSUE THIS ON PRINCIPLE. IN ADDITION-I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE TO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY UNTIL THEY OFFER MORE HONEST INFORMATION TO CONSUMERS BEFORE THEY MAKE INNOCENT PURCHASES.

• Dr
    drl1 Mar 14, 2011

I also was charged "fake" membership fee. This was not listed or detailed anywhere during the purchase process. Additionally, I was directed to this web site from Amazon where I searched for the book to begin with...disappointed in Amazon for this reference.

Resolved Discount Book Sales — nonexisting and misleading info SCAM

May 27, 2009 I belong to a Bible study group that was interested in 2 books by Joanna Weaver. They were...