Debt Collector Complaints & Reviews

Debt Collectorfalsified debt collection claim

I received a notice from this company claiming that AT&T had filed a claim against me for $79.80 for an unpaid credit. It seemed plausible so I called AT & T in a tirade and demanded they check all their files and records. At&T was completed confused, they had no record of the account # and the information on the notice was suspicious for several reasons 1) they had my address wrong, 2) I have automatic bill pay with At & T so it would be highly unlikely that I owed any money, 3) It clearly states that if you think you are subject of fraud to contact AT&T and it gave a number that I had never seen on any At&T billing. At& T even tried calling the number that was listed and it made no sense, they told me to call this company and get more information, but their records showed it was completely clean.
I called the 80o number and an man with a thick foreign accent answered the phone. I tolds him that I had just received this notice and that I talked to AT & T who had thoroughly confirmed that I had no outstanding debts. He then said very hurriedly that the amount was due march 26th 2011, I had to yell at him to stop talking and repeat himself to verify this date. Surely if this was true AT&T would have found it in a snap. I told him this was completely false and that At&T just verified for me that they had not reported anything to a debt collector. The guy asked me to send a handwriiten note stating that I did not owe that momney with a signature. I shouted him down telling him it was all bull, and I wasn't waisting my time sending any hand written anything and that I would ignore any notices I receive from this company. He calmly stated, well lets get an dAt&T representative on the line to confirm this. At this point he put me on hold and I hung up. At&T had already confirmed my suspicions that this company is a scam!

• Mu
      mudduck318 Jan 21, 2010

i've been disabled since 2006 i havent been able to do anything since then i've been still waiting to hear back from social security and also unemployment from back in december 2009

Debt CollectorHarrassing phone calls & threats

DM Associate keeps calling with messages that we are attempting to commit fraud by a check from our bank that is in their office. Each call goes a little farther with their threat of taking me to court or looking for personal assets which I dont have any, the last saying if we don't respond to their toll free number, they are preparing to file a form that may affect our tax return and any assets that I have...not to mention the fact they call you names because you dont take there calls when I already told them I was laid off from work, but when I do find another job that I didnt have a problem paying my debt but thatas not good enough for them!!!

• Mr
        MrRealtor Apr 13, 2010

Tape record these idiots, then go to your State AG and sue them and they will owe you money!

Debt Collectorharasement

They keep calling me about a debt in someone else's name. I pick up the voice mail every day. Finally, as per their message, I call to tell them that I am not the person they are looking for and to take my phone number(at my business) off their list. They say it is not in the system so it must be a secondary number and I have to do a bunch of stuff to get my number off their list! This is harassment, pure and simple. Why should I have to do a bunch of work to prevent the calls from coming in.

• Fr
          Fraudulent Debt Collection Violates RICO Jun 08, 2010

Keep careful records. Keep all voice mails. Record the calls if legal in your state. Send complaints to your state AG and the AG of the state they operate from. File a complaint with the FTC.

Get a good lawyer. (consumerjustice.com). Sue the debt collector. Once you have sued them, whether you win or not, you will be place on a list maintained by webrecon.com of people who have brought lawsuits against debt collectors. Most of the big debt collectors screen calls against this list and it will help stop future calls to you from collectors trying to collect on someone else's debt.

In your case the debt collector is trying to collect from the wrong person. You have told them it isn't you and have asked them to stop calling. They are violating the FDCPA and many other laws.

There is also the possibiltiy that this an attempt at criminal extortion if they are demanding paying from you through the use of threats. You may be able to swear out criminal charges against the debt collector and company officers.

Go for it.

Debt Collectorwon't negotiate

My husband and I are enrolled in a debt settlement program, we needed to do this as we were falling behind in all our bills and wanted to settle our accounts and just needed help to do it. We have already paid off one Chase credit card and are still putting away the amount to save and paying the credit agency that is helping us, the goal was to be free of debt in 5 years. One chase credit card was turned over to this firm, they have refused to negotiate with the debt settlement company. They have told us that the settlement company refuses to talk to them, I have going to court twice, my husband can't get off from work as easily as I can and they won't let me go before the judge because they say that the debt is with my husband not me even though I have a notirized note saying I have the authority to do so, they had told me we would be in court nov. 14, then they went to another court on Oct. 21, they didn't think I would be there, he said, where is your husband? I told him that what he told me was a lie and that I just heard a woman talk to the judge on behalf of her husband, he told me to settle with him NOW or they would just have to take away our savings... (what savings), anyway, they have not sent us a letter saying that if we give them 150 a month for seven and half years they won't take us to court anymore. I called my debt settlement company and they said Don't sign it they are not telling the truth, and emailed me the letters they have sent to them which have gone unanswered... now what do I do? They misrepresent themselves, they are debt collectors disguised as lawyers and use threats to get what they want.

Respond