DBS Books Complaints & Reviews

DBS BooksUndisclosed and unauthorized membership charges

Just look at the hoard of complaints against this company...they speak for themselves.

I ordered a book on line and my credit card was charged for the book as well as separate charge of $9.95 - I called to query and was told this was a membership charge (to what?) - my records show nothing that suggests any further charges.

Please don't use this company and if you do use them do not pay for these fraudlent charges.

Respond

DBS BooksUnknowingly got signed up for book club membership

I ordered a book for 15.01 on 8-17, got the book alright but when my credit card statement came, there was another charge for 19.95 from DBS books. When I called to find out what this was, they said I had agreed to a book club membership when checking out buying the book I got. I did not see anything like that because if I did I would not have bought the book. They did say they would cancel my membership and refund my 19.95. When I got my next credit card statement, there was a credit and a charge on there for 19.95. When I called again, they said they could only do one refund and when they did cancel my membership, it was after the 30 day free membership period. If this membership was so free the first 30 days, why did they put a charge on my credit card only 4 days after I had boughten the book? She could not answer that question for me and said she would have to refer me to the refund committee and they would get back to me in 4-5 days with their decision. Sounds like a big scam to me, especially if this company has to have a refund committee.

DBS BooksHidden Unauthorized charge

I ordered a book ($16.93), and when my American Express bill came in there was that charge, plus a charge for $14.95 as a membership fee charge. This was unauthorized ... never ever agreed to nor was it ever mentioned . . . When I called the company, they did not want to refund the money, but they finally said they would but that it would take a couple of billing cycles. I then called American Express who told me not to pay the bill. I told them that I read that DBS would recharge the credit card for membership fees at a later date. American Express set it up where they won't be able to do that. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE. They will rip you off big time!!

DBS BooksUnauthorized &Membership Fee&

I ordered a book from DBS Books for a total cost of $4.24. After reviewing my bank account on-line, I discovered a $19.95 charge to my account. I immediately called the 800 number listed and found that the charge was for a "membership fee". I requested a refund since I didn't sign-up for membership and was told that an email was sent with 3 days to respond and that since I had not responded within that time frame the membership fee could not be refunded. I asked to speak to a manager or someone that could authorize the refund and was told there was no one else to talk to. I was offered a P O Box address in Boca Raton, FL where I could submit a complaint. I am furious about this fraudulent, involuntary charge and the response I got from the telephone representative. After some research on the internet, I found over 20 complaints against this company just for the month of August 2009 (today is 8/25/09). This company is STEALING money by way of unauthorized, bogus membership fees. I have forwarded my dispute to my bank to get a refund and will send a complaint to the PO Box in Boca Raton in addition to complaining here and on other "RIP-OFF" websites.

4 Responses
          • Sp
            Spiderman30144 Sep 26, 2009

My wife got hit by the same company. I called them up and told the I was going to file every complaint in the book from the Attorney General of Florida to the BBB and of course my credit card. My credit card company just called and said there was little they could do. The BBB has an F rating with 133 complaints. Only 2 of the complaints got a full refund. So apparently, these cheats have considered all angles and there game is to charge you until you realize you have been charged, give some money back and keep the rest. They hope you will be satisfied and go away. This is where law abiding citizens should do everything legal to put these scam artists out of business. They are evidently not afraid of the law. Where is our protection? This story deserves some sort of new investigative team to shut these people down. If you can shine the light on their operation then maybe the Government will prosecute and send these guys to jail. Notice that you have to address a complaint to a PO Box. That is your first clue that they are not legitimate. The online merchants should act cohesively to shut down the bad guys. From my prospective, I will not do business on-line unless I know I have some sort of protection. Now I may be the exception but I guarantee that scam artist will become more pervasive if Government allows them to steel money in this way. This will definitely jeopardize internet commerce moving forward. My recommendation is to not do business with this company. They have discount in their name but are thieves in their actions.

• Bo
            bobtheman Sep 14, 2009

No.. I WENT to the site and it said "MEMBER PRICE." There were 2 prices: YOUR PRICE and then a MEMBER PRICE which was much lower.

• Lb
            lbande Aug 27, 2009

I had the exact same thing happen to me. And as "bobtheman" says, there is not a "member" price. The website has a list price, which is marked out and "your price". I believe you'll find that other legitimate websites (such as amazon) use this same way to show the discount you're getting, all without signing you up for a bogus "membership". I have already filed a complaint with the Florida BBB and will be talking with my cc company to dispute this charge.

• Bo
            bobtheman Aug 25, 2009

The site says "MEMBER PRICE". Did you not wonder what being a member meant? It's not DBS's fault that you can't read a Web site. A quick look at the Web site and it's clear there are TWO prices for each book.

DBS Books — ripped off

i ordered the book "common sense" by glenn beck from this company for $6.69...my acct. was charged that amt...

DBS Books — Hidden membership charges

I placed an order for a small $4.95 book through DBS Books. A few days after the order was placed I received...