Close Out Genius Complaints & Reviews

Close Out Geniusbait and switch/cancellation of order/retention of credit card information

I ordered a Sony Camcorder for a great price, but when the guy from Close Out Genius called to confirm the order, he told me the camera I ordered was the Japanese model (all instructions and instruction books are in Japanese) and it would be delivered 6 to 9 weeks from now. He tried to sell me batteries, chargers and other things, but when I said the words "bait and switch" he got mad and told me I had just threatened him and that he is now justified in canceling my order. He did. I asked what was going to happen to my personal and credit card information, and he said he would erase it all.

I don't want to order anything from this company. I wish I had looked up its name before I purchased and I would have seen all the comments about the scam shop being run. But, I am worried about my credit card information. What can be done to prevent Close Out Genius from marketing my personal information and the information of everyone else who is getting scammed?

Mariss Nov 05, 2009

April 3 2009 ordered online a camcorder. Recieved a professional E-mail giving conf # . No money taken from my account - no product in the mail. April 16th, I called and asked what is happening with my order? He said it was all in Jap, writting and I would not be able to understand my product so they were sending it back and would send me out one that would be in English THEN HE CHARGED MY CHECKING CARD !!. May 14th I call back - no product - I am trying to be nice andI ask where is it . I swear he says to me" we dont have it we HAVE already sent your money back to your bank . REALLY!!! May 28th NO MONEY NO CONTACT, you reach the same people and it seems they just tell you what you want to hear. I have gone to my Bank and filed a FRAUD charge on them - this is no way to hadle buisness . Just a quick note - I did NOT even go into all the pushy sales talk and promises to get things out on a 3 DAY mail or any of that - THIS BUISNESS IS A FRAUD ...I can prove it - they STILL HAVE THE PRODUCT UP ON THEIR SITE !!! HOW IS THIS POSIBLE!!!

• Bi
      Bill Foonman Apr 08, 2009

These are bait and switch/upsell scam artists who epitomize the worst the net has to offer. For all the reasons already listed here ignore the "hook" (the cheap prices) and AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Wo
      Wolinsky01 Mar 17, 2009

A scam. I'm having the same experience as all of the other complaints on this website.

Am checking to be sure I haven't been charged by the credit card company.

Close Out Genius — VERY, VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND UNTRUTHFUL ABOUT MERCHANDISE

Hello ALL, I order something from this company but it took them a couple of days to respond so I called...

Close Out Geniusbait and switch ripoff

under no circumstances should anyone deal with this company! You may find a great deal on something, or so you think. Then they call to confirm the order and before you know it you are harrassed with over priced add ons. The guy was very rude when i declined! I said I didnt like the way they do business and he said my order was cancelled and hung up. No legit company would do this. I doubt i would have ever even recieved my order if I had fallen for the scam. I immediately reported my card as stolen and froze my account. DONT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!

• Gu
        Gulliver Gal Apr 04, 2009

I had a similar experience--ordered a camera--great price--had to call (waited forever to get through) to confirm order and when I finally reached somebody was told the beautiful camera was all in Japanese--the warranty, directions, everything, but I could buy a US camera that I thought I was getting with all the extras for $199 more! I declined and the price was reduced $50. Still said no and that I wanted an email confirming my cancellation of order. Will check my credit card. Definitely a bait and switch.