Citi Cards Complaints & Reviews

Citi Cardssite for bill paying

Tried to pay my credit card bill on line. Could not get it to accept payment. Called # for help. Was told there was problem with user ID. Managed to change user ID. Attempted to pay. Was told I needed to again set up account with bank. I have been a customer for many years. Accessing my on line account has been always difficult and I have often had my password refused and had to change it. I'm still unable to pay bill.

Citi Cardscitibank's refusal to cancel an account

My father suffered a severe stroke & was hospitilized on 06/28/09 in Sylmar, CA. This was a sudden and he has been diagonosed with severe demenita & is unable to make decisions on his own. He is not capable of appointing Power of Attorney, and as his oldest child assumed responsibility for his care. I had his address changed to mine (I live in WI) and have been receiving his mail. I recently received a letter from Citi Card advising that of 04/01/10 a $60 a year fee would be charged to his account unless he charged up to $2400 a year (an approximate $200/month spending). I sent them a kind letter along with a copy of the Doctor's evaluation that he is incapable of making any decisions (he is almost comatose) and requesting that the account be closed due to his condition and the inactivity on the card. This card has not even been activated. I received a letter yesterday requesting that he (my father) sign power of attorney or sign a document that would allow me to close this account. What don't they understand about the doctor's letter indicating that he is incapable of making any decisions? I have offered to return the non-activated credit card that has been cut in half and they still refuse to accept that this card is not in use and has had no action on it in more than 2 years? Citibank was one of the first banks to put their hands in the pocket of the US Gov't to accept bail out money and has issued huge bonuses to their corporate managers. I am a single women struggling to make ends meet in this economy and am unable to obtain Conservatorship unless I can come up with a mimimum of $5000 (quoted by 2 attorneys) as a retainer fee. I am a struggling tax payer trying to make my own way and deal with the heartache and burden of trying to take care of an elderly, ill parent from a distance. I feel that Citibank is a greedy, unsimpathetic conglomerate. I did speak with an attorney (I had a half-hour free consult), and they have advised me that I have done due diligence in notifying Citi Card of my father's situation. I have also advised Citi Card that there is no estate to attach for their charges. The attorney also advised me to tell Citi Bank to "POUND SAND". I know that there are other people out there going through the same situation and hopefully by my addressing this problem there can be some resolution for all of us struggling through this same problem.

Resolved Citi Cardsusury, deceitful business practices

In august, for the first time in my relationship with citi cards, I was one day late with my monthly payment. Not only did they charge me a $39 late fee, they tripled my finance charge rate and doubled my minimum montly payment. I tried to reason with them to no avail and so I stopped making payments. They sent me a letter inviting me to contact them to discuss this and work out a solution that was satisfactory to all. I did so. I spoke to their agent, “merlin“, number “mp66622“. She said the apr would be rolled back, the monthly payment reduced, and I would not be penalized for missing the september 10 due date since the account was in dispute. She lied. I received two letters a few days later. One said the apr would not be reduced, the other said the monthly payments would not be reduced. But if I was a good girl for 12 months they might consider lowering the apr. That amounts to $6000 in extra finance charges for 12 months. For being one day late one time. They are all a bunch of lying cheating bottom feeders.

There will be no further payments from me at all, and no further communication. I have filed complaints with the controller of the currency and the state attorney general's office. Then I will get an attorney. There is absolutely no possibility that I will pay them another cent.

They can take the money I owe out of their bailout money.

• Fa
    fastforward11 Aug 09, 2010

That's true because your account after 6 months will be written off to an outside collections agency and they are hell trying to work with the settle your debt trust me! The payment arrangement that you should have gotten on was a 12 month UPP with a reduced apr and monthly payments since your account was past due at the time depending on how far it was and depending on what type of arrangement you were on especially if it was one that still accumulated late fees until it it brought current then you would have still seen fees and interest just review your letters and agreement.

Resolved Citi Cardsscam and cheating

Citi cards has misapplied my credit card payments for a year now. And despite furnishing proof they still haven't corrected the situation and there is noone to contact in their misapplied payments department. Customer service says something different everytime. Initially they told me to fax the misapplied payments department which I did 5 times, yet finally after 5 months I get a letter from the misapplied payments department reading "they understand I am disputing some payments, however they cannot proceed unless I provide copies of my checks". But I did that already 5 times. I even went to a citibank representative and he faxed my check copies as well. I suggest avoiding citi credit cards.

• Sc
    S Cowan Jul 13, 2009

I schedule my payments on line and twice in the last 4 months my payment was not credited by Citicards. All of my other payments for other bills were correct. Citicards is committing fraud to collect extra interest and late fees in this manner. I called to complain and was talked down to by their representative who reluctantly admitted that there may be a "glitch" in the system.

Resolved Citi Cardsbeware

I had another frustrating experience with Citibank today. I am a student, I have a good credit score of 700+. I was so impressed with reviews of the mtvU card and convinced myself to apply.

A week later I received a letter from Citibank that they need me to provide some documents for verification of enrolment, which I did.

Another week later in the early hours, I received a call from one of the citicard representative, she asked me to send fax a copy of my university id card again. She inquired whether my id card has any barcode on it. I said no, and she convinced me to fax it anyhow. She has given me the fax number [protected] and suggested me to fax before 12:00AM that day. I've sent the fax, that very day from my office after 8:00PM in the evening.

After two hours, when I checked my mail, they have sent me a mail regarding the application mentioning «as they couldn't verify the information I’ve provided they're rejecting my application". This is the second time I had such an experience with Citicard.

Earlier I’ve applied for Citi Platinum Dividend in July 2007, they rejected my application for the same reason, although I was in a different university in full-time status.

Both the times, my credit score was stunted to 610 -620 for my rejection. I've supplied all the information they asked me for. I don't suggest Citicard for any one. It's one of the worst financial institution I’ve ever witnessed, I think the employees don't even work. I've no doubt, it's soon filing for bankruptcy.

Beware Citibank and its Subsidiaries.

• Te
    TedE51 Dec 15, 2009

After having my Exxon Mobile account for quite some time, and never making a late payment, or being over the limit, I was "rewarded" by an finance charge increase from 11% to 25%. I promptly called to "opt out" of this increase, which caused CitiBank to close my account. Now that my account is closed, even though there is a balance due, I have been blocked from looking at old statements on-line, emailing customer service, etc. Also, I had a rebate balance on my account which was taken back by Citibank. The only reason I opened this account was for the .15 per gallon rebate from Exxon Mobile. I plan to never do business with Citibank again.

• Ci
    citizen NY Sep 26, 2010

In an attempt to cancel an eHarmony account, which everyone knows is impossible, I choose to cancel the credit card I had used. Citi Bank told me that I could be charged for another 30 days and here is the real news and they say this applies to all credit cards - if you have a subscription or monthly charge the seller or merchant can pay your credit card company and get your new card number, so they can continue to charge you. BEWARE!!! I canceled my card totally and we'll see what happens.

• Ca
    Carol from Maryland Apr 28, 2011

I was a good consumer/customer of Citi Cards for many years. I paid my card before the due date on line and paid more than the minimum due. Then just before the CARD Act went into affect they upped my rate from 12.99% to 29.99%. I refused to pay the new rate so they put me into a program where I got a rate of 7% for a year only if they took the money directly from my checking account. After which time they would review my account and lead me to believe that I would get a reasonable rate after the year. Turns out that after the year they closed my account and put my rate back to 29.99%. I told them I will not pay one thin dime on this account. I want a fair rate because they had no call to do me the way they did. They have called a couple times and no one will give me a rate quote until I tell them how much I want to pay. I told them that doesn't matter how much I can pay. I want a fair rate and if you don't want to work with me, then send me into collections and then we'll see how much you get. It's time for consumers to fight back against these credit card companies who have been taking advantage of their customers for years. Carol from Maryland

• Su
    Surego Apr 28, 2011

Regarding not cutting off your nose... Yeah, seriously. Carol, you're right to be angry, but you need to pick a different fight -- this is one you'll lose.

Moldeka Oct 18, 2011

I got a bill for Dec from CITI and it had a new balance of *, ***.** due by 1/9/2010. I payed exactly *, ***.** and they got it 12/30/2009. Now I am getting a bill for 34.44 and citi said it is for interest. I called their call center and went around for about an hour with them. They told me that they charged interest daily on the amount. I asked what I should have paid on dec bill so I would have payed them in full and they told me *, ***.** I told them that is what I payed. The rep finally said yes there should be no charge but there is nothing she can do she can not credit financial charges so I just have to pay it. I don't want to pay what I don't owe and I want this over and done with this company.

Resolved Citi CardsI will not do business with them anymore

I have had it with Citi Cards Dividend Platinum Select Master Card customer service. I overpaid my credit card balance by $2K and asked for refund on the surplus. The rep responded by saying the earliest date they can refund the money would be 10 to 30 days later which is totally unacceptable. This immediately shows that they want to keep my money on the card in hope that they won't have to refund it to me. So, as a grunted consumer, I asked for the supervisor and he said the same thing. I complaint that other credit card company can wire the surplus within 24 hours and why they cannot do it. Anyhow, I let go the first time and I checked back in two weeks after I don't receive anything. Same response and none of them have a clue on the status of my account. This time I am really pissed off and close the account in hope to get their attentions. Nope, the reps instead are attempting to delay the refund again. Now, I am going to report this to Better Business Bureau and I am glad that Citibank are in trouble financially now. Hope they shutdown the credit card division. I will not do business with them ever.

Moreno Aug 28, 2009

I experienced a similar situation where I made an early payment that did not post to the correct billing cycle. Despite numerous phone calls to insure that the payment was applied/posted correctly. CS Reps. did not record any phone calls or request.

The two payments were posted to the same billing cycle - SURPLUS. It was not posted to the correct month and this critical oversight subsequently pushed my account into default status, incurred late fees, the APR went from 14.24% up to 29% and continue to escalate for (2) months because that’s how long it took Citibank to accurately review the account. During those 2 billing cycles my monthly payments doubled for a total of $1, 959 and I paid each one - hoping for immediate resolution. They took my money too!

After countless e-mail’s and phone calls I finally spoke to a CS Manager that recognized the critical error within in 2 minutes flat. Two minutes! He escalated the issue to the appropriate authorities – nothing was resolved. After repeated complaints to S. Larson Citicards/Citibank reluctantly posted credits and made one adjustment and I did not need to make an August payment. of August and now they want another $687.41 for September. They are thieves!

• Iz
    izziegirl Oct 20, 2009

I agree that Citicards management are thieves, but I have to say that Chase bank is even worse, and their phone representatives are blatantly rude! Right now I am searching for a more consumer-friendly bank to transfer my balances to. There is too much competition in the banking industry to be treating customers unfairly. In the long run, the "fair" companies will come out on top.

Moreno Mar 16, 2010

izziegirl,

Thanks for the heads up! I agree the competition in the Banking industry is "fierce" and Customer Service should not be minimized.

• Wt
    WTF America! Sep 19, 2010

I pay all of my bills on time and they just raised my interest by 4% and said they were doing it to everyone. I checked into it and found that this was true. I called them when I first read their letter stating this. I was pissed and would not except talking to their first wall of defense(customer service). Finally I spoke with someone who could do something and all he could do was give me 6 more months at the cuurent APR and then it would automatically switch.

The man seemed to be the most honest that I had talked to from Citi in the past 10 years. I went with it knowing that it gave me an additional 6 months to try and find someone better to go with. I have not found anyone that seems to be better than the other. If you know anyone better, please post it!

I looked up citicards and saw some of their history. They have a damn rap sheet worse than most people we throw in jail. It is a disgrace that we have let this go by and makes our government look like they help out the bullys. These large corporations should not get a helping hand as they would not give it to any of us individuals. They have watched and even made millions of people fall into dispair and it should be our turn to watch them. They are takers not givers. Don't be fould by the giving they do, they only give knowing they can TAKE at least three times back. Late fees, increased interest rates for mistakes or just because, all most every service they provide cost something when even some of the basic ones should just be provided to you. This coporation is a representation of the United States and our way of business. Our children are learning that this is how it is and that this is the best that we can become as a society at the moment. Its a damn shame!

We should take the power back! They have the advantage because they are organized and grouped together. We are individuals spread out and dont meet on a daily basis. But what if we did. What would happen if we created a huge(more than the friends Tila Tequila has on Myspace) group of angry cardholders that all wrote to our government and if they didnt help solve this situation, we all cancel and refuse to pay!