Citi Card Complaints & Reviews

Citi Cardbogus interest and fees

After numerous letters to the customer service department regarding a bogus fee of $25 for not paying minimum balance I still have not had a proper response. I have received nasty letters saying I don't pay my balance in full,

I am done with citicard. I pay my balance in full every month less any credits or bonus credits provided. When the balance is $21.95 and I pay $21.95 that is paid in full. I am not paying a random penalty of $25 plus interest charges.

I have asked for an itemized statement showing where and when I did not pay my balance in full. Never received because it does not exist.

Additionally, citicard keeps reversing a credit received from a vendor. I returned the item and luminess air did give me a credit. The executive office called me on this matter and said the credit was provided permanently by citicard and there would be no further issues with this credit. Not true. It came up a couple of months ago again.

Citi CardDefault status/Rate increases

I have had a CitiBank Visa card for more than 15 years with excellent credit. In addition, some years ago Citi purchased my Sears card - which I have held for nearly 25 years, again with excellent credit, and which currently has a zero balance. Further, Citi purchased my mortgage quite some time ago, which is 15 years in, and again, excellent payment record.

A couple of months ago a payment to my Citi Visa card posted *1* business day late to my account. Citi immediately put my account into default status and raised my rates to 25%.

Repeated emails to Citi asking if my track record as a longtime client had no bearing in this were simply met with repeated replies of their "policy" that any payment received late immediately results in default status - no exceptions or consideration for how late the payment is received, or longtime good customer status. The only concession they made was to tell me that I only had to pay the increased rate for 6 months instead of 12 before my account was restored to current status.

My final message to them was to indicate that due to their inflexible and in my opinion, unfair policies, I will be paying off my Visa, closing both my card accounts, and refinancing my mortgage elsewhere, as soon as possible.

Citi Cardunfair practices

Citi card sent me a notice notifying me that they where increasing my rates to 0ver 29%. Their claim was based on a one time only late payment that was 5 days late. Not due to my payment but a security update in my payment system. They did allow me the "OPT out" alternative action.

I called, discussed the agent could not understand why i received the notice and claimed over and over again, either i was incorrectly reading the notice or it was a mistake.. As i pressed that I could read and please check, after 4 minutes of being on hold the agent came back on the line and apologized that the information was correct and could he offer a credit or anything to keep me as a customer. I relayed that
      if my interest was going to increase to close to a 30% apr then no i was not interested and requested that i "Opt out".

Two days later I received a very informative "heads up" from my discover card, which informed me that the "new federal law and regulations" would not increase my APR on existing balances.

This makes me wonder - according to the "NEW federal law and regulations", which are not being broadcast to the public, DID CITI CARD TRICK ME into opting out before the the legal date of the NEW federal regulations????

marencz Jan 17, 2013

I have challenged a $4900 charge by a company called Creative Internet Solutions.
          The charge for a 2 day ready website and filled with merchandise was $2430.
          I agreed, gave him my card and the money was charged. After thinking about it for a week or so, I told the gentleman that I really was not interested and to just cancel it all.
          Well, I recently got a charge for $4900.00. The 2430 went up.
          When I was called and asked about the money, I told the representative of Creative Internet Solutions to show me the statement I singed. I did not get a response except from Citicards with the contract for $4900.
          The only problems were that the contract was not in my handwriting and the date was October 24, 2017 and I was in Asia from Oct 12 till Nov 22nd.
          And the letter form this board that makes these decisions has given me a week to
          explain myself. The committee that makes decisions like this did not even bother to check my signature nor the spelling of my name. Huge company hiring idiots to make important decisions. This is fraud.

• Pt
          Ptymk Jan 03, 2012

I have been getting so many calls from Citi card # [protected] it borders harassment. They call all hours of day and night and holidays. I have tried answering the phone but all we get is a series of clicks and then either a busy signal or just dead air. It has gotten to the point we unplug our phone because of so many calls a day with nobody on the phone. Minimum of 5 calls day. And we do NOT even have a Citi Card. List of recent call log from my phone, in between dates and times we had to unplug our phone.
          Jan, 3 8:08am, Jan 2 8:36 pm, 7:27 PM, 1:19 pm, Dec 30 2017, 2:55PM, 1:34 pm, 1:09 PM, 12:32 PM, 11:53 PM, Jan 29 3:17 PM, 2:40 PM, 2:23 PM, 12:57 PM, 12:12 pm, Dec 27, 8:25 AM. I called the number back Jan 2 and finally got hold of a person asked them to put note on phone records to not call my number again, yet still had a wakeup call at 8:08 AM, I do work nights, so am trying to get some sleep and they wake me up every day, again with no person on the lines.

• De
          deborah malloy Mar 14, 2011

I need help with this account...can make payment but not all of it...just want company to work with me and not against me..will be glad to send payment every month on time but can't afford 234.00 per month..can anyone help lme

• Fa
          fastforward11 Aug 09, 2010

No some companies had the policies in place in predictions of the credit card act so the increase was based on primarily date became member and when it was time to have the card renewed. So you did have the option to opt where the account would close and the apr would remain the same however it can still go to default if you are late and at that point when that happens your only option is a payment arrangement cause apr are not lowered on closed accounts. Also you did have the option to keep your account open but your new apr would be on new purchases and the old one would be on the old purchase balance. Now what you need to really know is how the Act changed the way your payments would be dispersed on your account especially if you have two apr's on your account that are different amounts. It will go to fees and interest first and then your apr high to low and then any payments over your minimum due would go to apr low to high. THAT IS THE REAL KEY DIFFERENCE WITH THE CHANGE!! because before your payments went to fees and interest and then apr's low to high so the higher apr would never get paid!

• At
          atomicheart Mar 28, 2010

Banks call as a courtesy to let you know that your payment was not received.

Most banks use a software to help them detect when a payment was not made and usually will automatically call you to let you know. It doesn't matter how your payment history has been or how long you've been a card holder. They will call, so try not to take it personally.

They, like you, have no idea why the payment wasn't made and really, the sooner you know the better so you won't have to pay a lot of interest charges.
          You may be charged a late payment, but ask them to waive it. More than likely due to your payment history they'll be able to.
          Also, the credit card companies generally will only "ding" your credit file if it's been over 30 days since they received your payment.

Hope this helps.

• Va
          Val Mar 15, 2010

I just received a phone call from Citi Card at 8 am on Saturday. I've never received any kind of call like this before. They said that my Union76 bill was past due. Okay, we've never paid a bill late in our adult lives, 30 years of credit history. When we receive a bill, we pay it. That's our system.

I though maybe our new bank's e-payment was hung up somehow. Still, I had never received a phone call like that in my life and it seemed odd. After I hung up, I went through the bill drawer and discovered that they had not sent a statement.

I'm going to assume that I will be fighting a late payment and possible ding in my credit file come Monday. Are they so hard up for cash that they're pulling stunts like this on customers who have always paid up?

Ten years ago I cancelled a major credit card with the same company because, while they had (admittedly)received my payment on time, they didn't post it to my account for a week. They had actually expected me to pay a late fee. How many people just pay this junk without question?

• Or
          Ornamen Nov 27, 2009

I just received a letter from Kendall E. Stork! He said..."you haven't been using our credit card" I said..."only use it for emergencies and have never been late"! He says "So what...I'm dropping your $19, 000 credit line down to $100 just before Christmas"

I was wondering if anybody deals with this same Citibank (South Dakota) N.A. If you do, drop them! If your thinking about using them, Don't!! We as a Nation are in deep trouble thinking a credit card company is there to help. Come to think of it...why am I using credit cards anyway!

Citi Cardpayment

I had a citi cards, I ended up getting divorced and didn't have a job. I couldn't make payments on this credit card. It went to collections, the people there were so rude the way they talked to you, i haven't recieved a statement in almost 2 years. They put a leverage on my name and as soon as i started a checking account they wiped all my money out of it. I am out 1040 dollars. Nobody can get it back. I have tried contacting them many times trying to come up with a payment plan and they won't do it.

• Th
            thementalist Feb 17, 2012

I paid My Citi Health Card in full on February 9th of this year in access of $500.00. Because they received it four days late they sent me a bill for $407.00!! Which didn't reflect my payment in full When I called them about the over-site they said they wanted $40.00 as a late fee. Please don't consider using this line of credit even as a desperate measure. The customer service is terrible, they speak to their customers in a rude and condescending manner. I intend to report them to the better business bureau. Each complainant needs to file a report with the BBB. No paying customer should be treated disrespectfully.

Citi Carddispicable business practices

First let me start by saying I have a credit score in the Excellent range.
          The first time I had a run in with Citi card was last year. I was paying my bills online. due to thier s-l-o-w website the payment didn't process until 12:01 because my payment was 1min. late, I got hit with a late charge and my interest rate went to the default on the entire balance. I went round and round with thier so-called "customer service" for days, spoke to a supervisor, and then the supervisors supervisor. they finally removed the late charge, but did nothing about the interest rate.

now, I am in the middle of arguing with them about a new problem. by bill has bee 89.00 for over a year. I paid my bill online two weeks early. I paid 100.00 when I received my statement, my payment had gone up from 89.00 to 102.12 contacted Citicard and still have not gotten an answer to why they raised my payment, and went online and paid the 2.12. they still hit me with a late fee, and raised my interest again.
          I was p.o.'d called them up, asked for a supervisor, and then the supervisors supervior, but still no satisfaction. I have had a Citi account for over 12 years. I have never been late with a payment except the 1 min. mentioned earlier. I always pay more than my minimum payment.

I told customer service that I was going to find a lender, borrow the money to pay off all my Citi accounts, close them, and if they ever contacted me again I would sue them for harrassment.

If you have a Citicard, run, don't walk, get your card, cut it up, and find a new company to deal with.

I pray every day to God that he arranges for Citicorp to go out of business. (I'm a Minister) and avenge what they are doing .

It is my hope that enough people read this and abandon them, they may wake up. I am also looking into the fact that the interest rate they are charging me is illegal in my state, and I may very well have a case... any lawyers out there want to take the case please contact me. [protected]@hotmail.com

• Jl
              JLS Feb 14, 2009

my husband paid the amount his citicard statement said he owed that month on time. then he was contacted before his next statement even came. they said his rate was raised that he didnt pay the amount owed so they charged him a late fee and made his apr sky high! and what is with alot of the credit card companys raising rates on people that pay there bills. I have NEVER made a late payment. 2 of my credit cards APR went up.

• Re
              Renee Jul 05, 2008

Citi send us a statement after several years of not using their card stating we had a $20 credit. After receiving this a second month, I used the card to make a $50 purchase and then received a bill for $55 with no mention of the previous two months credits of $20.
              I paid it and then received a bill for $71.30, paid that and am now receiving harassing phone calls and bills ranging from $17 to $47?!?!
              No reply to letters concerning this matter although I did get a letter telling me I must request a form to cancel this account. I did that, got the form, mailed it in and the bills still continue to come with phone calls.

I found the follwing comment on another board concerning Citi Card:
              [protected]:21 am UTC
              As an ex employee of Citibanks credit card division in South Dakota, I can tell you, we routinely sat on card payments for several days just to make them late. They would sit for sometimes 7-10 days in our payment facility just so we could triple your interest rate and charge you an insane late fee. I was terminated shortly after I wrote the South Dakota Attorney General's office reporting this illegal practice.

Do NOT DEAL WITH CITI CARD.

John May 12, 2008

You may get your wish. I saw an article today about the mortgage crisis and Citibank carries a lot more of the risky home debt than the other major financial institutions. Their greed; their mistake.
              I've had Citibank for a number of years and haven't experienced any problems yet, but I don't doubt they try to stick it to anyone when they think they can get away with it. Going from the regular rate to the default rate for a single 1 day late is simply abusive and I would cancel any credit line I had with such a company.
              As for asking God to place a pox upon The House of Citibank, good luck with that.

• Le
              lea May 12, 2008

Its all about greed

citi card is awful..no matter if you make your payments on time or pay even more than your bill they find a way to screw you out of more money and get away with it..if everyone would just stop paying on there citi cards...maybe they would sit up and take notice..at this time the way the economy is does it really matter about your credit rating when they will just find a way to ruin it anyway...just seems like everyone is out to get you at this point...why not get them where it hurts..