Cash for Gold Complaints & Reviews

Cash for Goldrip off

This company says they pay top dollar for gold, silver & platinum, but only pay out 42% of stock market value, regardless of condition. They also avoid returning stolen jewelry, even to the extent of telling people that their jewelry has been melted despite the fact that it is in a safe 3 feet from them at the time. They also say that they donate gems to charity, but only donate a tiny portion of the proceeds. They damage the jewelry they test, & then may not even purchase it, claiming that it failed the tests after they've cut the jewelry in half or worse. This company is just an all around rip off.

• Je
    Jen Feb 21, 2009

[email protected]

A girl friend of mine with very little money was ripped off by these guys. She has not been able to get her money back. I am a consumer rights attorney in LA and I am trying get a response from them before they disappear. I'd be happy to learn more about other people's experiences and ask for their money back too, while I'm at it. It always helps to band together to get them to respond favorably and refund people their money or pay them more.

Jen - look me up on at calbar.org if you like or email me -
    [email protected]

Cash for GoldReceipt not given

Are we entitled for a receipt when we sell gold for cash to a pawn brocker at Atlantic City?
I sold my pendant set with earing in gold to a pawn brocker( he had displayed cash for gold banner outside his shop) in Atlantic City. He paid me in cash and took a copy of my DL and got my signature on a receipt with the details of the transaction. It had carbon copies beneath. He said he would have to furnish a copy to the AC police department as per the law.When I asked for a copy for myself, he refused to give me one and said I am not entitled for a copy as I sold it to him. He said he would give a copy if I had pawned the item. I was hesitant but I agreed to go ahead. Now when I think back, I am still not convinced about the fact why he did not give me a copy when there were additional carbon copies beneath and what difference it makes it I keep a copy for myself. Is there anything for me to worry ? Will he manipulate the transaction for his benefit. It was my first experience. Please give me your opinion.

• Tr
    trojansarah Dec 31, 2008

Sent in a bulging bag of gold and silver. Very nice pieces - 14K and 18K class rings. Beautiful silver pendants and bracelets, etc. A ton of jewelry! They sent us $50. We were blown away! They are a scam. Total scam. If you want money for your gold - take it to a reputable jeweler. I didn't know they would buy gold and silver and they will tell you BEFORE you sell it how much you'd get.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM CASH FOR GOLD!

• C2
    c21mmv Apr 01, 2010

DO NOT SEND THEM YOUR JEWELERY!!! They offer you pennies. When you reject the check and send it back - they still smelt your gold and it's too bad, so sad. They tell you they didn't receive your check within the allotted timeframe. I sent my check back the same day it came and also emailed them to tell them I was not interested in their small offering and wanted my possessions back. She told me "thank you for the update." After weeks I did not see my possessions come back. I emailed them with the email address on their email signature - nice evasion tactic as they list an email address that is incorrect. After tracking down the correct email they still tell me I did not contact them in time. I forwarded them all my email correspondence for verification - THEY WILL STILL NOT DO ANYTHING. You have no way to prove when/if they received your check back, and that's what they thrive on. You have no proof and they have already smelted your gold and you get NOTHING!!!

• Ki
    Kim m Nov 29, 2011

I resently sent in 3 14caret gold rings and 2 gold neckles 2 weeks later some one called and ask if I had sent in the envolope they sent out and I told him I had over 2 weeks ago And I was told I should contact cash for gold. I said I thought I was talking to them on the phone he then hung up the phone. I never heard a word It has been 3 months now never again I sent in over 4oz of gold.

• Up
    upset Jun 08, 2016

I have a friend that saw an ad on tv for cash for gold she contacted them and they send her an envelope with in 2 days. She send it back the next day with $300.00 worth of gold. It has now been 2 months they say that they have not yet recieved it and that she should just keep calling back. she is now terrified that she will be out her jewerly, and the money she desperatley needed to feed her kids. If anyone is thinking about using these scams please don't. p.s. dateline should do a show on it unless they already have and i and her missed it.

• Atlantic Steve Jun 08, 2016

You got scammed buddy. Crazy to be selling GOLD when its at an all-time low right now. I sent my gold in years ago, signature required envelope. Somebody signed, kept the gold then when I called in about it I was told " we never received the envelope and we do not know who signed for it. That person has never worked here before."

Cash for GoldRipped off

I sent in multiple pieces of jewelry and received a check (far later than they promised) for $98.34. One bracelet that I sent in was 18 k and they sent on the statement that it was 14 k. I have a receipt from the original purchase of that bracelet for $448.00. These people are con artists and do not have a reliable business. One ring had 12 small diamonds in it, they paid me $2.16 for this item. Save yourself alot of frustration and just take your unwanted or broken jewelry to your local jewelry store or pawn shop!

• Eb
    ebola aid Jul 01, 2009

good im glad they stole you money if you are so stupid that you sent your gold into that thing

• Do
    Donna Clot Jun 12, 2010

I called Cash For Gold for help with mailing my jewelry. They were rude and made me answer tons of questions before I could tell them why I was calling. I asked for help and all I got was "That's a good question" with an attitude with it. She then said that I needed to call customer service which the number I had called was supposed to be their customer service number. So I went to their website to see if that would help me. That's when I saw all the complaints made against Cash for gold and was happy I did so before sending them anything of mine.

Cash for GoldLost Item

I sent a 24K gold bracelet to Cash For Gold. I did not send the necklace because I wanted to see how the process worked. I recd an email on Jan.10th saying that my item was recd. Today, Feb 7th, I called to inquire about my item. They said they sent me a letter on Jan. 9th stating my item wasn't worth anything. I did NOT receive this letter. They said my item had already been "melted down" yet at the same time they said there was no Gold in it! I was LIVID! They went on to tell me that they doubted very much that my item was 24K, because that's like 100% gold. They offered to send me $20.00!

Saurolophus Feb 07, 2009

For what it's worth, it's very unlikely your bracelet was 24 karat gold as gold that pure is too soft to be used as jewelry. More likely it's in the 14 karat range, if it's gold at all.

Personally I would never trust jewelry appraisal by mail. Come-ons like these take advantage of the general public's lack of knowledge regarding other, potentially cheaper/more lucrative alternatives. For what it's worth.