Apx Alarm Complaints & Reviews

Apx AlarmUntrue Sales Promises

Beware of strong sales tactics. A salesman came to our door and badgered my wife. Although we had an existing alarm system, he said APX was better because of its wireless phone connection. He wanted her to try it for 3 days to see how she likes it. She told him she had to wait for me to get home to make a decision.

In the meantime, two installers came in and began work. They removed the old system and installed their own. They promised to put the old system back if we didn't like theirs.

When I got home I got to the facts. If we signed a 42 month contract for monitoring, the equipment was free. In Missouri, you have three days to void the contract if you have buyer's remorse or change your mind.

If you have an existing alarm system, you probably have an existing contract. They automatically renew unless you cancel them before the end of the current term. Being in the business, the APX salesman should have known we would have penalties if we switched services in the middle of the term. When we found out, we cancelled the APX contract in the first three days.

APX came and took their equipment but said it was against policy to hook our old system back up. Despite calls to their home office, we got no relief. We are now going to have to pay a $150 service charge to get our old system hooked up.

If you have an existing system don't make the same mistake my wife made.

Although the product is a good one, the fact the company wouldn't do the right thing when their salesman lied to us is all you need to know. Do business with someone else.

Regardless of which company you use, be aware that your contract automatically renews. After your initial term expires, your equipment is paid for. Cancel your contract in advance of its expiration and find a lower cost monitoring service.

• Wa
    WatchDog! Sep 05, 2010

APX Is my security provider, and I am a 100% satisfied with their service.
    I do not believe for one moment that half of the negative reviews on here are from real customers os apx, because I would like to believe that if these people have the clear ability to write, they would have enough brain power to read a ONE PAGE contract and decide for themselves if they want the PAID CONTRACTED SERVICE, they have been offered, key word OFFERED.
    I have 7 properties, 4 residential and 3 comercial. ALL have APX alarm systems. I was approached by one of their young men, last year and went through the same thing you all, so bitterly complain about, let me delineate:
    - The salesmen are just that, salesmen, they WILL want you to make a decision on the spot (THEY DO NOT WORK FOR FREE, as I am sure none of you bitter people do). So make up your mind.
    - They are ALWAYS, knowledgeable about the product, and they explain everything included, and I even talked to the company on the phone before they left my house.
    -I find it hard to believe ANYONE CAN BE FORCED to acquire something like that, unless they tie you down and point a gun at you (in which case you should call the police).
    -As it was with me, you all have SEVERAL chances to say no, several, if you get the product is because you want it.
    - The proposal is actually very simple, even kids should understand: They have a service, it costs this much, there's a promotion today, it'll cost this much, for this long a contract. DO YOU WANT IT?
    -They are not a charity, you greedy people, they have top of the line service and gear. PAY FOR IT. OR SAY NO.
    -They don't target seniors, they target anyone that owns a home. (If your senior can't make decisions by themselves, shouldn't be living by themselves, be responsible).
    SUMMARY: I recommend APX, it costs more, yes, it does more, and it's more reliable I give it 4.5/5 stars.
    I worked with sales when I was younger, So I know most these negative reviews are from bitter people who sit in their homes all day waiting for a chance to be mean to someone at the door. Most these young men are honest trying to make money for college, to break the cycle of ignorance so many of us are a part of. Don't ruin their job, BE INFORMED.

Apx AlarmDishonest Sales Pitch

The young guy who convinced me to switch from ADT to APX 3 years ago told me I would need to sign a 3-yr contract. This kid was really slick. He knew how to con someone into signing-on by explaining all of the supposed special discounts and extras I would get for switching so APX could put their sign in my yard. I thought, when he was leaving, that maybe I shouldn't have trusted him. Now, after I waited 3 yrs to switch back to ADT, APX is telling me that the contract I signed is for 5 yrs--not 3 yrs.

I had decent service from APX during those 3 yrs, but, based on their allowing contractors to deceive the public into signing-on with them, I would recommend APX to absolutely no one!

• Dr
    DrBall Jan 14, 2010

I am sorry for your interaction with that dishonest salesman. I myself work for APX Alarm, as a salesman. APX Alarm is one of the highest integrity companies I've ever seen or worked for. Had the complaint got back to APX corporate sooner, the dishonest salesman may have been strictly warned, or possibly terminated. To make sure that APX is completely upfront with terms and agreements with customers, it is clearly printed on the front page of the contract, as well confirmed that the customer is aware in a welcome call done at the time the contract is signed. Typically the customer is informed several times how long the contract period is prior to it being in effect. A few years ago APX moved from 5 year contracts to 39 month (3 years and 3 months) contracts. It should be mentioned that APX has now received the JD Power award for the second year in a row. I do not know of any other security company including ADT or Brinks that has had such a remarkable accomplishment.

• Ap
    apxscamjenn Aug 08, 2010

I recently got suckered into signing on for a 3 year APX contract as well, all because of the pushy salesguy who was so good that even though it never occurred to me that I should have an alarm, I found myself signing on within 30 minutes. Crazy!

• Ap
    apxscamjenn Aug 08, 2010

Please read about my APX scam story here http://hubpages.com/hub/The-APX-Alarm-Scam-How-a-pushy-salesman-got-me-to-sign-a-3-year-contract-for-an-alarm-I-didnt-want

Apx AlarmMisrepresentation and Poor Monitoring Serviceq

At the time that we signed an agreement with APX for alarm monitoring service the agent for APX was asked about a specific point on the contract regarding the term of the agreement. He was asked if this was really a 60 month contract and he replied "no, that means that we cannot increase your rates before 60 months, you can cancel any time if you give notice." We placed a call to cancel the service due to the fact that on one occassion that our alarm was activated, it took APX 6 hours to notify us of any alarm. I viewed this as a serious failure to perform pursuant the terms of our agreement so we attempted to cancel. They have since sent our account to collections and we are now being harassed as many as 15 times per day via telephone by a collection agency attempting to collect on the remainder of the contract. We have filed a complaint with the BBB and they still refuse to remove the charges, pick up the equipment and terminate our agreement. APX has serious problems with how they communicate the agreement with their customers and they have extremely poor monitoring service. I refuse to pay for substandard alarm monitoring service and I fully intend to see this through.

• Ik
    IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 31, 2009

Stuart Dean Alex Dunn
    APX alarm APX Alarm
    Director Of Media Relations or COO, Corporate Operations Officer
    801-380-6113 801-705-8005
    [email protected] [email protected]

Try contacting these guys 15 times a day.

• Yu
    yuiana Mar 05, 2011

I'm very dissappointed with this service I recently had a false alarm activated and apx alarm gave the police officers the wrong address to my home. I been wanting to cancel but they say that I have a 36 month contract, that I was never told in the beginning by the sales person. I hate this service and want to cancel it.

Apx AlarmMisrepresentation when I signed the agreement. Now my daughter's credit is being dinged

My husband died in Feb 08, an APX salesman knocked on my door 6/08. I said I'd listen to him. I'm a senior, was going through sadness and told him my credit score isn't high enough. He said, "we can use your daughter's credit score". He promised me she would not be responsible in anyway. The contract was put in my name, address, phone. She and my neighbor are listed as a point of contact if alarm goes off. She didn't sign anything. I signed. My signature is the only one listed and showing as being responsible. I had to file bankruptcy and now they are trying to collect from her and have put it on her credit reports. I've NEVER received one piece of mail from them nor has she until she started getting 3rd party calls. They just tell her..."you are responsible". But they are sending her proof to my home. I was scammed into believing the salesman...shame on me I guess however I won't go down without a fight.

Apx AlarmComplaint posted 09/28/2009 resolved

I hope resolutions can also be posted.

Although I wish it had not taken so long, a representative from APX Alarm's consumer advocacy division recently contacted us in regard to our complaint (posted 09/28 with the heading: "Refusal to Acknowledge Legal Cancellation")

The consumer advocacy representative from APX was patient and took time to listen to our issues. He promised APX would review our circumstances. APX telephoned us the next day and offered a fully satisfactory resolution.

I hope this is indicative of improved response to consumer issues. If so, then I would expect the BBB rating to go up and consumer complaints (there will always be some) to go down significantly.

• Sh
    shugar Apr 30, 2010

we also sign a contract with them we were never told about the 5 year contract . we had all kinds of problems with the alarm the key pads don't work their service is bad we tried to cancel and they just wont let us people please
    be careful don't sign any thing . apx was really bad for us .

Apx AlarmRefusal to Acknowledge Legal Cancellation; Using oral statement over the telephone to effectively create an unbreakable five year contract

APX came to our door and my wife signed a contract. The equipment was installed later that day. Did not work satisfactorily at all.

We talked it over and she faxed a cancellation to APX within 3 business days, along with a letter asking them to come pick up their equipment. All nice and legal.

So, a few days later a guy from APX telephoned her in the afternoon. He's so sorry she decided to cancel. They love their customers. They care about the safety of our family. Could they please come back and bring more equipment to make it work right? Free equipment. Please? So, she finally said OK. Bad idea.

A day or two later a guy shows up. Adds some more equipment. Still does not work right.

We call APX. It's still not working for us. Well, give us another chance. We'll bring another piece of equipment. Aren't we a nice company?

Another visit. Another piece of equipment. Still did not work right (too long to explain, but we got so many unavoidable false alarms just in evaluating the setup that the monitoring company told us we would start getting charged extra for one more false alarm).

So, we disconnected the system from the lines and electrical power (which we were told would produce an immediate phone call to see if we were being held hostages or something - I get it. A joke. Utah humor). Heard nothing. We wrote APX multiple letters confirming we were canceling.

We heard nothing. For more than two months.

Finally, only after we had changed our credit card number - and only when they called to ask us for a new number -- did we hear a word from APX Alarm.

But at least there was a live person on the phone from APX, at last! A nice person from that nice company. Well, nice person, we had canceled the service. Check our file. See those multiple letters? See that written cancellation notice? Notice the whole service was disconnected from the phone line and electrical power more than two months ago? It's a no brainer.

If you've followed APX complaints you already know what's next.

Nope. Can't cancel. Not now. Not ever. Five years in full.

Now, let me make what just happened clear: My wife signed a contract. The she canceled it in writing within 3 days.

Then APX called my wife out of the blue and, over the phone, got her consent to come back and see if they could "make things right."

That was it. Period. Nothing else given for us to see or sign. Nothing.

Her over-the-phone consent (APX insists) makes an unbreakable five-year contract. This assumes an otherwise sane woman would knowingly make an unbreakable contract to a voice over the telephone for equipment and service she had not yet seen or evaluated.

They know exactly what they did. Chris (their phone guy) was very good. He played perfectly on my wife's desire to be a nice lady to nice people who just seemed to care so much about us they wanted to please have a second chance.

Of course, this whole scenario also asserts that APX can void a legal written cancellation by using oral consent made during an unanticipated telephone call they initiate -- all without any attempt to bring us any later written documents to read, think about, or sign.

There are reasons oral contracts are not supposed to be valid in these kinds of sales -- so that consumer will not just become prey to slick salespeople who manage to get a person to just say "OK" at the right moment.

There are reasons FTC and many states give some extra protections to consumer in door-to-door sales - because it is not a product or service you (the consumer) seeks out or expresses any prior interest to the company that you want.

We took all their equipment down, carefully packaged it up, photographing every step, and mailed it all back to them using signature required UPS (they did receive the package).

Many months later, after hours (!) of frustrating talking-to-a-brick-wall phone conversations, we finally sent a letter to our state's office of consumer affairs. They contacted APX. So, nice Mr. Wilcox from APX wrote that we were just being such terribly unreasonable people. He said they'd be even willing to send (yet another) technician into our house see if THEY (not us) were satisfied. The determination of a satisfactory system was their call. Not ours. And, sure, just maybe they'd even bring another piece of equipment . . .

Agreeing to let them come back to try and fix it the first time is what got us into this mess! Of course, by then (and still) we want nothing to do with this demanding and unethical company and their (in my personal non-lawyer opinions) illegal predatory tactics.

Never mind it never worked right. Never mind we canceled the contract in writing. Never mind we confirmed that multiple times in writing. Never mind we sent everything back to them and don't have so much as a screw from APX in our house. They demand and their buddies at Anderson, Crenshaw, and Assoc. (that nice collection agency from Dallas) have shouted at us for every cent of a five year contract or they'll ruin our credit or go and maybe go for our house.

Makes we want to go to Utah on vacation. Maybe Provo. Such nice people. So concerned about me and my family.

Well, heaven help to the next poor young salesperson who knocks on our door - I'll be reaching for the cattle prod as I start screaming at them to get off our property and never come back. Then, I'll think about maybe running and warning the neighbors. Shame. They just might have been from an honest company.

• So
    Sounded too good to be true Nov 16, 2009

Thanks for your taking the time to advise others. I received a call after 8 PM from a Provo, UT assistant manager named Mack (like a Mack truck) when I am on the do not call list. I asked how he got my number and he said the company gets leads and doesn't know where they came. I told him of the severe fines to the company and to him. It didn't appear to affect him and he kept talking. I listened and he was very insistent I take advantage of this special promotion with the new Honeywell wireless equipment and it was a FREE install with their new equipment. He called the next business day and still pushing to have it installed. He mentioned the doors will be protected and I find out online all the other attachments will have fee for the window detectors which I have a system that is hardwired that he could have an adaptor installed. (not FREE). Everything works like OnStar (R) using satellites to the central monitoring statiion. It is expensive at $39.00 per month - considerably more than my current alarm company. I asked to have his promotional information emailed to me to review which indicates APX Alarm won the 2008 Outstanding Customer Service Experience with J. D. Powers on their call centers. From the marketing reps not being forthcoming on the hidden charges for a properly working system, I will be surprised if the company wins the award in 2009 unless their management, Todd Pedersen, CEO of APX Alarm Security Solutions, reins in these scammer reps of his.

• Be
    Be1bob Nov 14, 2010

I also got sucked into the apx alarm hell! Ive tried several times to cancel but as you mentioned to no avail. Im still looking for a way out of my contract but have not found one. This is the worst company ever!!! The equipment is garbage and so are the sensors that are suppose to go off when door is opened but more then half the time they do not. Please do not get this service you will regret it

Apx AlarmScaming

On JUky 18, 2009 a apx sales rep came to our neighborhood stating that our current alarm system ( Monitronics) would be out of business as of 7-31-09 and he was here to change out our key pads as it would not work after 7-31-09. Everything was free and he would take care of notifing Monitronics. I asked why weren't we notiied Johathan ( sales rep) said that's what fly by night companies do. Several of us in the block had this switched over - about 2 or 3 weeks later, I receive 2 billings 1 from Monitronics the other from Apx . I called Momitronics they did not go out of bisiness in fact they are going into there 15th year. I explained what happened and they also are investigating. I call to cancel APX I was told it would cost well over, 1, 800.00 to do so. I just want Monutronics back free and clear I never had a problem the 5 years I was with them . Sales rep refuses to call any of back. It's a shame you have to get business on a lie/ scam. I hate to see how many other people he scamed on the way.

• Ik
    IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 31, 2009

Stuart Dean Alex Dunn
    APX alarm APX Alarm
    Director Of Media Relations or COO, Corporate Operations Officer
    801-380-6113 801-705-8005
    [email protected] [email protected]

Maybe these guys can help. Or at the very least you can call them as you run into brick walls with APX. Interesting story considering that APX uses Monitronics to monitor quite a few alarm systems for them. When you call Monitronics ask for Clem Burkett in the fraud dept. Tell him your story. Companies like Monitronics have been going after the individual sales reps slamming accounts. That is what they call it, slamming. Would you mind posing your sales reps number here?

• Tu
    tulips10101 Jan 19, 2010

Monitronics is one of the very TOP security systems globally... they are used at the white house ... ( not that says much..lol)... however... they also have the best system out there for the home and small business owner...they told me the same thing.. and they have reps out there too going door to door... however the difference is their reps WILL COME BACK TO YOUR HOUSE if you request it... they have a buyers right to cancel.. and they seem to work with companies who want to build customer relations. DO YOUR RESEARCH... and make sure you see a monitronics sign... every sales rep must have one to represent them...I canceled my APX account and was leary of monitroncis... but the rep came back and let me think about it. they have a by far better system...with NO HOLES in the walls... and dogs can run around in the house WITH THE ALARM ON... good luck to everyone...

Apx AlarmService is a joke

So I was pushed into the same 5 year contract scam too! We were pre-selected as one of the model homes in our neighborhood and our neighbor got one too! RIGHT! I don't know how desperate these door-to-door kids are, but that PUSH is Terrible! I can honestly say we were pushed into something I did not want. I was told that my alarm would be already registered with our PD, and "not to worry about it." A fine of $160.00 later from PD, I had to register this myself, and still havent been refunded. Complaining to Customer Service is a joke! Its al a BIG lie! Nothing ever gets accomplished with them. The equipment is still in my house, untouched! I am still in the dilemma and want to get OUT!HAHA and the biggest joke is that the contract is under my daughters name, who by the way doesn't own my house! To all who are "considering, " don't do it! I am sure there are better companies than this one out there, its easy to push you in BUT its hella hard to get yourself out believe me!

• Dr
    d-rob Mar 05, 2010

Well im not sure what PD is or why you were fined 160 but all i know is there have been a LOT of new updates with in the company. For example the customer service has been rated #1 by JD Powers 2 years in a row now and i have never had a problem with them. Its right around $2000 worth of equipment and professional install FREE the day that "desperate" young man knocked on my door and a monthly payment that is lower than other companies on a FIXED RATE! I see all these complaints about the "contract" but all it is is a promise that my rate wont change to keep my family and home protected. Seemed like a steal at the time and still feel the same.

• Mi
    miss_defied May 05, 2010

Gee, d-rob is from Provo, Utah. I'm guessing employee of APX.

• De
    de de skye Jun 29, 2010

I also have purchased an alarm system from APX, I was told my cat would not set it off, they told me it was safe as long as the animal weighed 40 lbs. or under. WELL, this is not the case, I have a cat that weighs 12 lbs. this alarm goes off within 10 minutes of me leaving my home, my neighbor has to disarm it for me on a daily basis. I have called the company and they did come out twice to try to resolve it with no luck. I told them if it happened again I wanted it out!!! Ten minutes after the technician left I went out and bingo, it went off again. Now I want it out. It is too much trouble, I don't know if my house is getting robbed or not at this point. Now they are telling me a spider will set it off, come on now, be realistic, a spider, who does'nt have spiders in their basement. I wanted them to change the motion detectors to 80 pounds and they refused, they wanted to give me glass protection only, that is not what I signed up for. So, as it stands, my lawyer is taking over for me now. They also said in my contract I have no motion detectors, my copy says there is two. The company is a disaster. Bad customer service. I did get a letter from my local police department and they wanted me to pay a fine of $100 for not registering my system, told them it never worked so I did not feel it was worth it. The police department then heard my story and sent APX the bill for $100 I was happy about that. Have not heard a good report about this company yet!!!
    Carol----Waterbury, CT

Apx AlarmThey are scammers

We got stuck in this scam, we had just moved to Colorado and were unpacking late one night and some guy in a white shirt came up to the door and talked us into getting an alarm. We were tired and it had been a long day I wish we would have thought about it more. We got stuck in a 3 year contract that thank god is up at the end of June 2009. The thing is though that I called the company to make sure that they shut the alarm off on the day our contract ends. They told me that I couldn't do that because the contract is in my husbands name, well I know for a fact that my husband had put my name on the contract and he had them put my phone number as the main number to call because he is in the military and deploys often. I called the company and told them about our situation and that I have a power of attorney and my husbands orders and they said all I had to do was mail that and a letter to them and they would turn off the alarm.My husband had to call from the place he is deployed to and tell them to cut off our services at the end of the month and guess what, they acted like I had never called them or sent them a letter. They said we had to give a 30 day notice and now we have to pay for an extra 17 days because the company won't turn off the alarm. The lady he talked to was very pushy and tried talking him in to keeping the alarm, he had to tell her several times we were not interested. I just want to know why they want us to pay an extra 17 days past our contract because they refuse to turn the alarm off. DO NOT GET AN ALARM FROM APX. They are expensive and not worth it at all. I will be glad when we can finally get rid of this stupid alarm.

• Ba
    Balvarez Aug 21, 2009

I was put into a 5 yr dilemma, and I can't get out myself. Did you talk to anyone that actually helped?

• Wa
    WatchDog! Sep 05, 2010

APX Is my security provider, and I am a 100% satisfied with their service.

Apx Alarmhelp!

False alarms, police arriving, me being charged for it! I do not know if the alarm is for real or if it's "messing up", again. I am more afraid now than I was without it.

• Sp
    sportboy Apr 20, 2009

My problem with APX is that after I signed my contract, I found out their license to sell or install alarm systems was not valid in my state-it had expired. The license expired April 30, 2008 and they did not submit a request for a license renewal until that April 30, 2008 either. According to our state alarm company licensing board, the license was not renewed by the board until May 30, 2008. I signed my contract on May 21, 2008.
    According to the state alarm company licensing board, there were several issues with their license request, including listing employees who had been previously terminated in the past.
    APX Alarm has told me that I have no complaint and that even though their license was not renewed until May 30, 3008 it was retroactive for the whole month of May. My state alarm company licensing office states that is news to them regarding the retroactive statement but will review it with their legal department once APX responds to my complaint which I had filed with the licensing board..
    I also didn’t care that the sales rep who “sold” me the security system grabbed my wrist after his sales pitch when I told him I wasn’t interested in their product. Why I didn’t call the police on him I don’t know. I don’t think he meant any harm by grabbing my wrist and being a man, I didn’t feel threatened by him. I felt sorry for him so I agreed to the contract.

• Km
    kmam Sep 14, 2009

On July 18, 2009 a sales rep from Apx came to out neighborhood telling us that our current alarm company Monitronics would be out of business as of 7-31-09 and that our current key ads would no longer be valid. I was with Monitronics customers for years along with many of y neighbors. Apx is 10.00 higher per month and the sales rep Jonathan anderson is nothing but a scam artist. HE does not return any calls - when we tried to cancel we were told it would cost us well over 1, 800.00 . after finding out that Monitronics has been in business for 15 years I was very upset that I let someone scam me. We all just want a clean break and call it even.It's a shame you have to scam to get business

• Bi
    Big Lie Jun 09, 2010

I was hit with a scam to. The sales rep said there was no certain time we had to keep the alarm system as they wanted to get a couple of people on each street for advertising purposes. I again asked if there was a contract limit and he said no just let me put this sign in your yard.
    he done my neighbor the same way. I also have some neighbors that said the same thing but did not go with APX.
    I sent my system back and paid an extra month. Now they are trying to threaten me in the amount of $1700.00. What kind of outfit is this anyway. I will go to court!

Apx Alarm — Misleading to get you stuck in 5 year contract

PLEASE do not fall for the same thing i did A nice man came to my door selling an alarm system acting very...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices