Active Periodicals Complaints & Reviews

Active Periodicalsmagazines

I signed up for 4 magazines back in 2005. $49.50 a month for a year and I would receive the magazines for 3 years. I gave them my credit card info and I'm still paying to this day. I received calls every now and then asking me are you getting your magazines and are they in good condition. I had no idea they were still billing me for them. When I finally asked them am I still paying for magazines they stated yes because I subscribed for another year of payments. So as it turns out everytime they called and I answered yes to there question they took it as me signing up for another year of payments. I have thousands of magazines that I didn't ever ask for or want. I had to finally cancel my credit card. And believe it or not they are still calling asking my for another credit card. They have taken more than 1, 782 dollars from me. I have contacted the BBB and they are doing an investigation.

Active PeriodicalsMagazine Scam

I received a call from Active Periodicals today wanting me to buy magazines and in return, I would recieve a $1000.00 online shopping spree. Everytime I would ask a question regarding "opting out" if it turned out to be something other than what the representative explained over the phone, she would reply that she was new and would have to ask her supervisor about it. I also told her that I would not give her any personal information over the phone and asked to be billed and she once again told me that she would have to check with her supervisor first. I told her that would be a great idea and she asked me to hold on. When she returned, she stated that she would have to "get back with me on this" and hung up. I'm so glad I listened to my gut instinct!! What a SCAM!!! I was tempted, like many others but it's so true what they say; If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!

Active PeriodicalsScammed me for $300 and are threatening me with legal action now

I am a recent college graduate and have been suckered into their subscription service because of the $1000 shopping spree they promised me.

First of all, for those who are familiar with Active Periodicals, the shopping spree is fake.

Now to the real headache:

1. They charged me $58 and change every month for up to 4 months before the first magazines showed up. Now when they arrived, out of the 10 magazines I got, only 2 of them are what I requested. So I complained. The number they provided led to an answering machine which they called me back A MONTH later!

only to apologize for the misunderstanding but not for the wrong magazines. So without offering a refund, they simply apologized and promised that next month would be different. They lied.

Every month for a total of 6 months, I have received garbage magazines that have nothing to do with me and would never spark an interest in me to even open the cover. So every month I dispute the charges on my credit card company but ultimately I had to cancel that AND my bank card because after disputing the charge on my credit card, they would automatically deduct out of my checking.

So after not being able to recieve money from me, the phone calls started coming... and were they nasty. A lady calls and starts to raise her voice at me and said that if I don't pay the full amount ($600 something) then legal action would be taken.

They do that every month and I doubt they would do anything to me because I did nothing wrong.

They say that I signed a contract that deems it illegal for me to not pay. And I said that it is illegal for them to take my money and not give me the products I purchased. The lady actually cursed at me and said that I was wasting her time. She said that she wasn't calling to remedy the situation but to tell me that if I don't pay, they will ruin my credit.

Now if a company was legit, first they would give you the product you asked for, and second, they would try to make sure the customer is satisfied and try to remedy any complications, as opposed to threaten their customer and initmidate them with legal actions.

So after all these long words, I wish I have never picked up that phone call from them. Please anyone, if you want magazines, just order from the suppliers themselves. All major magazines offer a very cheap annual subscription. Yes the offer from Active is cheaper and sounds very tempting but its not worth it because they do not deliver on their end and you would be stuck with either $600 less in your account, or headaches and harrassment phone calls from them for the next year a half.

• Cr
    cruzer80 Apr 06, 2010

NicP74 - need to know if they have sent legal actions, and what have you suggest. i have several magazines services i am paying and can not afford them anymore, i am about to call them and have them cancel, and if they dont i am about to cancel my checking account. i am stuck and can't afford to pay them or legal fees, any advise from anyone would be appricated. just need to know what i can do about cancelling all these mag. companies.

Active PeriodicalsHarassment

My mother has received two threatening calls from the company, the caller doesn't identify themselves. The caller, female, told my mother that she hates her and that she is 'dead'. I do not appreciate this harassment! She has had two such calls from this company from the same caller. She is older and is very worried and afraid because of these calls. The number if you call it back is a recording. I need a manager or someone to talk to. This behavior is very unprofessional and uncalled for! I am very upset! How did telemarketing come to this?

• Sh
    SHORTYLOCKS1998 Dec 23, 2009

yea i just got a call from that company looking for me and im only 12 and they started saying o were going to find u i got really scared and i dont know what company this is could anyone tell me what that is and y they told me that

• Su
    sunnyszoo Apr 14, 2010

File w/BBB and Atty General in your state and in Florida. Send out complaints on every site like this one that you can find. If half of those who've been so mistreated called them to task publicly, they wouldn't get away with nearly as much.

Active Periodicalscontinuous bank charges

Just like some of the other people complaing about this compay, I got duped as well. I was told that it was a 4 yr. agreement, that's about 5 yrs. ago, now. I just need to know (if anyone else knows) how to cancel & get these guys to stop harrassing me... I get phone calls at like 2 or 3 am (when my babies and the rest of my family are all sleeping). They keep calling me and it's aggrivating and frustrating!!! I tried calling the company to cancel and they keep telling me that I CAN'T cancel. What kind of garbage is that??? And in the meantime, I keep getting charged. Anyone got any suggestions? Should I call the Better Business Bureau and let them know of what they're doing?

Chicago Mike Aug 28, 2009

Contact your credit card company or bank and tell them to stop payments to the company.

• YES, ABSOLUTELY! Call the Better Business Bureau and REPORT THEM! I am going to. Look at all the sites on google for how terrible this company is for crying out loud! You'd think the state of Florida would want them off their radar! Whoever your "internal affairs" are for the state of Florida, you may want to start investigating this company.

Start recording their calls so you have proof of what they are saying and keep a log of "how many" times they call. One day after requesting TWO times in ONE week to be removed from their call list, they called me EVERY hour! Thats not exaggerating. This place is a scam and a fraud. I'm turning them in. This harrassment is ridiculous. I called my bank and asked them not to allow anymore payments to these guys. It cost $30 to do that but at least I'm not giving them anymore of my hard earned money. If need be, I'll get a lawyer to deal with them b/c they harrass people. POOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! Here's an address to start writing complaint letters to or if you want to cancel your account. This way you have a paper trail for the lawyers to follow to prove they are harrassing you . Active Periodicals, Attn: Manager or CEO, Customer Service (anyone who can get me off your stupid lists!) PO Box 1188, Deerfield Beach, FL 33443. One more thing I just got off the phone with billing and I said, you guys just called me (one of their many harrassing calls this week) and my pymt amt was changed according to you guys. She said that was sales and they must have opened another account for you. I said, "WHAT? Now I'm going to get billed TWICE from you guys? The way the caller made it sound is that it was information on my existing account and that "they" were giving ME a discount." According to the billing lady she said your pymt will always be "x" amount, it should never change. Call back next week to make sure they haven't opened another account for you. I said to her so let me get this straight, "I" have to call YOU back again to make sure you aren't going to charge me twice. She said "that was sales, they didn't do anything wrong"...WHAT????? They just knowingly used my phone number to call me to open another unneccessary account meanwhile wording it that my pymt was increasing to $46 something and they were going to be giving me a discount to $41 something but hey if I don't want the discount, they are trying to save me money..." those are exact words. I also asked the billing lady, "What am I supposed to do? I've asked you guys THREE times to stop calling me and each time I'm told we'll put you on the Do Not Call list and then the next day, I get several calls again. I don't know what to do from here." Do you know what she said? She said say, "I'm not interested and hang up." Seriously??? She's telling me to hang up on her coworkers b/c they don't get it that they are harrassing. At this rate, with the amount of calls they are making, I would be doing that E-V-E-R-Y S-I-N-G-L-E DAY! Come on, Active Periodicals, knock off the bad business practices and get some ethics!

• Vw
    vw Jan 26, 2010

these people are insane, how they get away with this i have no idea, . I am being sued by them for failure to pay ...thats where i get confused, i had a account thought that i had closed it, but they charged my account twice that month so i canceled my card so they could not get my hard earned money . To baad they sent it to collections, the sheriff showed up at my work to serve me papers to go to court, , , now i have to pay for goods i never got, how rude ###ing crooks,

• Te
    TeresaB Apr 29, 2010

i fell for this too but heres the thing i never got the shopping spree n no mags either . cancelled in feb n just now found out they have been taking money from my account for the last 3 months!!! then they have the nerve to tell me I have to pay a 16 dollar cancellation fee. wut the hell!!! then she had the nerve to ask me y did I let them charge my account for three months and i said i didnt know then this crazy woman said well u should have been keeping up with my bank statements!!! i dont go over my bank statements every day hell do u know anyone who does but after cussing them out and yea i called them every name in the book n then some they had me cancelled today. but now its too late im trying to find out who is representing the lawsuit n add my name my account was overdrawn cuz of them. i want justice

Active PeriodicalsAttempted Telemarketing Fraud

Just received a call from an elderly sounding woman, stating that if I answered four questions, I could receive a free gift certificate for some merchandise, with payment of a shipping fee. I should have been suspicious with that statement, but proceeded to answer her questions. Was I male or female, what year was I born. The third question was requesting my income information and I told her was currently unemployed, of which, she said she was sorry to hear that. I then asked her where I could locate information regarding her company, but she proceeded to hang up on me without further questioning. Based on your prior complaints, I guess I was very lucky I did not get the chance to provide any credit card information and will definitely go back to hanging up on any unknown phone numbers showing up on my caller id unit. The number for the company on my caller id is [protected], which I called and it is a voice message allowing you to leave your phone number to be removed from their system.

• Su
    sunnyszoo Nov 16, 2009

Started an account years ago; never understood that when they called to "check up", they were starting the acct all over again. This was never explained. As I neared what I thought was the end of my payment period, I discovered they had scammed me, and I owed them $685 to make them GO AWAY. Didn't work - they called me incessantly (sometimes more than a dozen times a day). Yes, I'm on the do-not-call list, and I have told them angrily many, many times to NEVER call me again. They sent me dozens of magazines I did not want, and created a huge trash problem. My mailbox was always stuffed with this junk.

When they called on Sept. 3, 2009, I again told them to go away and never call again. A man who identified himself as a supervisor (very hard to understand - heavily slurred words) told me there was a technical problem my acct, and they couldn't close it out. However, this could be done if I signed up for a temporary dummy acct so that he could process the acct closure properly. He promised me not a cent would ever be taken from my acct, and he would be able to "fix things" by the end of the week. I spent more than half an hour going over this with the woman who prompted the recording and her "supervisor", reiterating to both of them that I do not lie, and I was very uncomfortable with this solution. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was transferred back to the man I refer to as "supervisor". After many promises that this was not a new sign-up, I did agree, with great hesitation.

A few days later, I received a letter from them that I had signed up for 4 new magazines - three I don't want and never mentioned, and one of the three I payed completely for in the spring. I checked my acct, and found they'd charged me $41.90. I immediately closed this acct, requiring me to change all my auto-pays to a new acct. I'm still staightening out that mess.

Now I receive frequent calls from their collections. I am again screening all my calls because of them. If I hadn't had my phone number for 30 yrs, I'd change that too. I'm filing this report with as many organizations as I can find, and I want to join a lawsuit(s) against them. They have harassed me endlessly, and the least I can do is cause them as much trouble and expense as I possibly can.

• Se
    Sean T. Jan 19, 2010

My experiences are extremely similar if not exactly the same. Active Periodicals is a horrible company that makes money off of people by intimidation and corporate technicalities.

They charged me $58 and change every month for up to 4 months before the first magazines showed up. Now when they arrived, they were not what I requested. So I complained. The number they provided led to an answering machine which they called me back A MONTH later!

Active PeriodicalsTotal scam

So i just got a call like 10 min ago from active periodicals and i know i have had calls like this before. They told me i had won a 1, 000 online shopping spree. So my first words were " whats the catch? ". This old lady told me nothing. So i went on to answer her qualifying questions. She asked me if i was still at my address, Yes. She asked me what year i was born. She asked me if i was married or single. i said in a relationship. I then got passed over to some other woman. During this time i heard her say " here take this one its a good one". I didn't quite understand what they meant. Then next old lady then asked me the same questions and then added on income requirements. I stated that i was a student. She then asked " then does your boyfriend support you. I said no. And she said sorry i cant qualify you then. That was when i got on here and read every thing. For the first time something i am glad i didn't qualify for.

• Ty
    Tyler Durden Oct 30, 2008

These are the most digraceful con artists I've ever met. One elderly woman was subscribed FIVE TIMES for the same two magazines. She lost a mimimun of $2000. They need to be sued bigtime with a class action suit, Erin Brockovich style.
    They add magazines without OK, and totally misrepresent everything they're doing. Complete scam.

• Al
    alexa Nov 10, 2008

thats insane, i have had nothing but good things come from this company. the people who called my house were polite and explained everything to me so i understood it. not to mention i recieved a $1, 000.00 shopping spree. ive been with them for a while now, and everytime i have a concern the customer service is wonderful. i dont understand why everyone has negative things to say about this company. i get my magazines on time, get to buy stuff for free and enjoy life.

--alexa tebbin

annoyed May 12, 2009

Just received a similar call like the one mentioned, except I didn't qualify, due to being unemployed, which made me post my complaint about the company. Thanks for reporting your incident, as it really helped me.

• Le
    lesliel Jul 17, 2009

The owner of the company is a member of the Gamino crime family and had been jailed recently for his fraudulent activites within this company - ie. scam and rip-off through the mails with spurious promises of magazines at a "discount" and bogus $1, 000 shopping sprees. Numerous lawsuits are currently being filed against this company and they are being investigated by the FTC and other national agencies for violations of business practice and regulations. The BBB has them on file as a member in good standing (albeit with a ton of complaints and, according to them, have all been satisfactorily resolved). In time I think they will earn that F rating, for now the ware "under review"and no further info is available on them there. Cortera, a company rating service lists them as being "slow to pay" their outgoing obligations to their creditors, as wll. They have the very lowest rating there. Not a solid company. No website to speak of, just a front. Whoever posted a positive reply above is doubtless one of the owners of the company spreading lies.

• Li
    lindsaym0310 Jul 17, 2009

I just got a call from this company. They told me that I had won a $1000 shopping spree and 5 magazines. All they needed was to verify my info. I was very leery and asked what the catch was. They told me that it was not a catch and that i had been selected as they select 5 people every 2 years as "preferred customers" from my credit card company. They said that it was Visa wanting t othank me for being a loyal customer. I immediately knew it was a scam because I DON"T HAVE CREDIT CARDS! I will NEVER have a credit card! My check/debit card for my bank isn't even a VISA - it is a mastercard! I knew they were full of crap. They said that they needed my cc# to get my stuff out to me, and I informed them that if VISA wanted to thank me, then VISA should have my card #.

• Sl
    sleepy bear Jan 21, 2010

Active periodicals are a totally disreputable company!
    I was contacted by them, told I was being given a $1000.00 shopping spree, and free magazines... All I had to do was cover the cost of mailing them to me. I told the agent I was not interested, as I do not have time to sit around reading magazines and they would just collect dust on the table. The salesman just kept pushing and pushing, so I finally said, "What type of items are available through the company of the $1000.00 shopping certificate. I asked specifically, "are there electronics like computers, video equiptment etc. "Oh yes!" "They carry all kinds of stuff like that."
    So, being stupid, and just wanting them to leave me alone, I agreed.
    Once the shopping certificate arrived, I looked to see what was available to be had... Nothing but total crap! The closest thing to what I had specifically asked about was a clock radio which was totally overpriced and certainly not anything most people would want in anyway. So the shopping voucher was simply thrown away and never used.
    Being a honest person, and not really concerned about the monthly payment, I continued to pay the agreed fees for 9 months prior to receiving a phone call from this ### company's representative exclaiming, "Sinse you've been such a great customer, we are going to cut your monthly rate!" ONLY PROBLEM WAS THAT THE "LOWER RATE" WAS HIGHER THAN I HAD AGREED TO." So, I told the fellow, NO THANKS! My payments are less than that already." He then proclaimed, "what you've been paying was just a short term promotional rate, now the rate is X". I informed him, sorry, I'm willing to pay what I agreed to pay, not a penny more, take it or leave it!" He hung up, and the following payment came out of my account at the same rate as it always had.
    1 Month later, I received an identical call from someone claiming to be an account manager. I told him the samething. Then he proclaimed that I was behind on my account. I explained to him, that I was not, because I could see the charge on my account. He then proceeded to explain how the rate I was paying was a promo rate and now my rate was higher. I told him, if the rate I had agreed to was not acceptable, just cancel, and I would contact my card carrier and stop any further charges from clearing. At this time the fellow became very beligerant and proclaimed that "I knew everything, and they would just destroy my credit!" THAT REALLY PISSED ME RIGHT OFF! I'VE WORKED LONG AND HARD TO HAVE GOOD CREDIT, AND HAVING SOME DISREPUTABLE UNDERHANDED COMPANY DAMAGE IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! I immediately called the carrier of my credit card and put a stop payment on any further charges to that company. Now, Im constantly being harassed by these jack ###, and being told, "We'll see you in court."
    I doubt that this will ever happen, as I really dont think they could ever win! They are simply trying to use scare tactics, and extort money from me. I WILL NEVER, GIVE THEM ANOTHER PENNY! I REFUSE TO GIVE MY MONEY TO UNDERHANDED GROUP OF UNSCRUPPLESS PEOPLE LIKE THIS! If they do file any damaging reports towards my credit rating... I WILL FILE A LAW SUIT FOR DAMAGES, FRAUD, AND HARASSMENT!
    At this time, I'm already filing a complaint with the BBB, and the Florida State Attorney General's Office regarding this shady company, and their underhanded practices.

Active Periodicals — Terrible experience!

I signed up for a 2 year payment plan for 4 magazines at $35 per month for 2 years and then I was supposed to...

Active Periodicals — They tried to lure me in with free shopping

This company made me think I was getting a free $1000.00 shopping spree (on line), 3 free magazines that...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices