1st American Card Service Complaints & Reviews

1st American Card ServiceI am definitely disappointed with the lack of professionalism, inconvenience, time wasted, and the outcome of all this

Before doing business w/ 1st American Card Service, I had NO EXPERIENCE w/ the credit card processing industry. I thought I had made this point very clear when initially speaking to a rep and asking what my estimated monthly fees would look like. Not ONCE was the “gateway fee” mentioned, nor was it put on my application (the company fills in some information for you). 1st American states that this fee was listed on the Purchase Agreement, so basically it’s my fault that I missed it. Again, being new to this whole thing, AND specifically asking what my monthly fees would be, AND being that this company has the BBB rating that it does, I just trusted that what was being told to me was true. Why wasn’t it explained to me in the first place that there would be a “gateway fee” and that this fee is listed in the Purchase Agreement? With the million pages of documentation, yes, I’m sorry—I made a mistake and misunderstood this ONE SENTENCE to be something else. When I found out about the fee was after I was approved and logging into the website for the first time. It asked that I click on a link to “agree” to the terms stated—I did NOT click on the link and e-mailed the company right away.

1st American states it “guarantees” the lowest price and that they’ll match competitors, however already having experienced issues during a “simple” application process, I felt I would rather do business with a company that was clear in their communication right from the get-go, and therefore requested that my agreement with 1st American be terminated vs. attempting to resolve the issue and continue doing business with them.

I received NOTHING via e-mail or phone calls to confirm my request for termination. I sent multiple requests for them to confirm yet got nothing. 2 weeks later, my bank account was debited $49.95 for the initial set-up fee. I was definitely surprised to see this, as I requested that my contract be terminated (per 1st American’s marketing, one should be able to terminate with no problem), AND I never clicked on the link that meant I agreed to the terms given.

Another 2 weeks later, more charges debited from my bank account in the amount of $15.00 and $0.30. 3 days later, $8.00. It was then that I sent certified mail complaining to 1st American, as well as filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Through that process, 1st American stated it would refund my money and terminate my account with them.

It’s 1 month later—still NO REFUND. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from eProcessing Network (affiliated w/ 1st American) stating they attempted to pull the 2nd month’s fee and inquiring why my bank has blocked them. Wow, I thought my contract would be terminated for sure since I dealt w/ the Better Business Bureau…I guess not. I attempted to file a 2nd complaint w/ the BBB, but they state they can no longer help me and to take my problem to the State Attorney General’s Office or the Federal Trade Commission. I've looked at various websites--CA Dept of Consumer Affairs, Federal Trade Commission, Office of the Attorney General, LA County Dept of Consumer Affairs. To say the least, I'm livid and disheartened. It appears I can't really do much except take them to small claims court. In the end, I feel 1st American Card Service knew of the loopholes in the BBB complaint process, as well as knew how time consuming it would be to fight them, and that I probably wouldn’t. Worth the $73 to fight? I work full-time and have 4 children…no, not worth the $73. But the company has pissed me off enough to write this review. Don't like thinking of others negatively, but after everything, I can't help it.

A little more entertainment for y’all: 1st American stated they spoke w/ me on April 2, 2010 and described in detail the “conversation” we had. They also had the nerve to say they would supply the BBB w/ “caller ID logs, certified by AT&T and notes from the conversation.” UNBELIEVABLE. Excuse my French, but BS!!! The last over-the-phone contact I had w/ them was on January 22, 2010. No I’m not sophisticated enough to have certified caller ID logs, but I am Type-A and have saved ALL my correspondence w/ them. 1st American is SUPER SHADY.

I’m not crazy—everything I have described above is TRUE. I’m glad others have had a completely different experience—maybe I just dealt with a different group of people in the company that’s incompetent. To date, I have not gotten my money back, it appears my contract still has not been terminated, and attempts at debiting my bank account are still occurring. I am definitely disappointed with the lack of professionalism, inconvenience, time wasted, and the outcome of all this, as I was expecting much more given 1st American has the rating it has with the Better Business Bureau.

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

I can not believe the Gall of a competitor to use this venue to try to sell merchant accounts. The person that wrote this "Complaint" is also selling merchant accounts. Don't believe me? Click on the "Couture" name of the reviewer and do some research. I sent them a message and asked if they could get me a merchant account and they jumped right in with telling me how they can save me money. I have copies of the messages and will send it to anyone that is legitimate.

1st American is a great company and I have used the service for over 17 years. I will be happy to show you my credit card statements and tell you about how well the service has been.

Folks, lets say no to complaints that are lies and little more then marketing.

1st American Card ServiceINCOMPETENT company

Please check out merchantmaverick.com. It is through this website that I have also vented, as well as have finally found a TRUE A+ company.

Mindy Harris May 10, 2010

This posting is a cheap and unprofessional way for the website listed at the bottom to advertise. It is also a very unprofessional attack on the BBB (not suprising, the website listed has and F rating).

Of course nothing about this post is in any way true.

mama monkey May 11, 2010

"Mindy Harris, " you obviously are affiliated w/ 1st American. Your recent 4 posts to other reviews (including mine) on this site are all negative and probably false, as your rebuttal to my review is definitely FALSE...Everything I have stated is TRUE, and I am in NO WAY associated w/ the website I mention. I simply want to help others avoid the mess I have experienced in dealing w/ 1st American. I think I have done 10x more in helping others from writing this review than you have in posting your comments, which have no substantial information anyway. And please, give me the link where you have found an "F rating" for merchantmaverick.com.

• Me
    Merchant Maverick May 19, 2010

Hi Mindy,

I'm the owner of the website in question (merchantmaverick.com). I assure you that "mama monkey" was never incentivized or is in any way affiliated with my site. Feel free to contact me in person if you'd like. You can find all of the contact info that you need directly on my site.

I'm not sure if you're a PR rep for 1st American or a reputation management company hired by them, but either way, you may want to revisit your comments about this complaint with the understanding that it is not meant as a direct advertisement for me.

Mike R. Tinner Jun 17, 2010

I have seen this "MerchantMaverick.com" site also. They use some of the most outragous tactics to get customers. It is very sad to see them try to hurt the reputation of 1st American Card Service. I have been a very, very happy customer with them for over 5 years. I will tell you that they have the best service I have ever used. Please contact me, a real customer for details. I would take the Shills like Mama Monkey and Merchant Maverick for what they are tacky advertisements. Period.

• Me
    Merchant Maverick Jun 18, 2010

Mike,

I'd be interested in hearing your concerns about the outrageous tactics that Merchant Maverick (MM) uses?

Also, I think that this is all a misunderstanding. You feel like Mama Monkey's review is actually a secret ploy for me to advertise my own site, right? So, that's making you feel like I'm trying to bad mouth 1st American, but that's not the case.

Remember, Merchant Maverick is a site that researches and then reviews merchant service providers itself. It wouldn't make sense for me to tarnish a company's rep on a third-party site before I've reviewed them on my own site...right? As of now (6/18/10), 1st American has not been reviewed by Merchant Maverick. For all I know, 1st American can turn out to be a decent company, but until I do my research, I will have no way of knowing.

Why tarnish a company when I haven't even given my own official position? It doesn't make sense.

With that said, I'll update this thread when I've actually reviewed them, and when it's live. That way, you can swing by and leave your glowing review about 1st American, helping to counter the negative publicity that they're getting here. But, I have to warn you, I don't allow anonymous user reviews. Everything is verified on the back-end to make sure you are who you say you are. It's quality we aim for. :)

As always, you can contact me personally if you wish. You can find all contact info directly on my site.

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

Wow I have to agree, what a terrible way to market your service against 1st American Card Service. I am a happy customer for over 17 years and find your marketing Disgusting. I have been to your website and you are not a neutral review site, you clearly are making money "Helping" people find merchant accounts... What you do is criminal and I hope the jails find you soon.

To anyone that wants to really see how reviews should be done, like they have been doing for over 150 years, the BBB. This is how I found 1st American 17 years ago with an A+ rating, 17 years later they still have an A+ rating and they still have our business.

1st American Card ServiceMisrepresentation

I've been using 1st American Card Service for almoust 4 years. A few months ago I audited my books and discovered that the charges averaged 4.5 to 5.3%!!! I had contacted the 1st American Card Service and the Redwood Merchant Bank for the explanation and received none. The Redwood Bank could not even explain their own convoluted statement and the meaning of the fees. I wrote to the 1st American Card Service and the Redwood bank - no reply.
I have been using another provider for the past 2 months and my fees dropped almost in half! 1st American Card Service overcharged me by several thousand dollars.
I'm attaching the statement from the Redwood Bank. See for yourself if you can decipher all those abbreviations. For $13, 904.96 I was charged $787.29! That's over 6%! PayPal is cheaper.

1st American Card Service promised discounted rates and responsive service. You will find that they excel in sales and fail in everything else.

Misrepresentation

cindynewman Mar 05, 2010

I have been a customer of 1st American Card Service for over 8 years and found them to be the best company we have ever used to Process our credit cards. This is in comparison to 4 other companies we have used in the past. They not only continue to have the best rates, they have also had the best follow up and customer service. I have also sent many of the businesses in our mall to them so I know first hand the stories of 19 other businesses. All have had the same great experience. I looked in here after the last business I sent to them asked me to look here. They were conserned. All I can say is the person making the claim that they were had a "Misrepresentation" for 4 years is very hard to believe. I know of no business that would not check what they are paying for any important service that long. To my eyes and ears I see this a just the postings of a Competing service that is trying to damage this company's reputation. I think if one really reads this and looks at the image they claim is a credit card statement, they will find the same thing. 1st American still has the A+ rating they had 8 years ago at the BBB when I signed up with them. We are very, very happy customers!

Mindy Harris May 10, 2010

The complaint here is not from a real customer of 1st American Card Service. The "statement" they listed here is clearly not a realy Merchant Account Statement. It was a forged statment from another merchant and another merchant processor. The forgery is so bad, they left the othe bank's information on the form.

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

Wow, that is correct. This is certainly not a merchant statement from 1st American. I have been a customer for over 17 years and should know. I also can see that other bank's information on that form like the person above her mentioned. It seems they were working so hard to hurt 1st American's reputation they used one of their own merchant account statements. I sure hope someone sues these bogus reviewers...

1st American Card ServiceMerchant Card Service provider will rip you off.

I signed up with this company November 9, 2009. I was told that as a seasonal merchant (I do shows only), I would be charged $15 for the the first $1000 of sales and an additional fee in proportion to that over $1000.
I was charged more than $15 for my first $1000 and then for and additional $183 in sales, they took another $10.87 which is not proportionate!

I was told there are no other hidden fees. No fee to put my account on hold, which I can do for as long as I like. No fee to reinstate and no cancellation fee.

I put my account on hold November 30, 2009 and got a $34 charge on Dec. 3, 2009 without any sales activity.

This company boasts of 24hr. customer service, yet never returns a call or answers emails if you complain.
They say they have an A+ rating with the BBB, yet there were 38 complaints in 36 months.

They promised me that the November charges of $25.87 would be refunded and have not been.
They lied to the BBB saying that I told them I was satisfied and that they did refund that amount.

The new $34 charge is for absolutely no reason and I believe that is fraud.

Beware of this company.

cindynewman Mar 05, 2010

All I can say is the person making the claim seems to have a story that is very hard to believe.

Mindy Harris May 10, 2010

If you look up "Dee Carpenter" the person that has made this complaint, you will find they also sell Merchant Accoutns on the Internet. They have posted here and other sites promoting service that 1st American Card Service offers. There is no doubt they are a competitor using this system to injure this company. It is very unprofessional.

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

Everyone of the "Complaints" I have read here about 1st American Card are clearly written by competitors. I too have looked up the "Dee Carpenter" and yes, they will be happy to sell you a merchant account. It is disgusting.

1st American Card ServiceVery shady - stay away

On May 7, 2009, I called First American Card Services for information on a credit/debit card terminal for my business. I told them that I wanted to accept both debit and credit cards, all major credit cards, and that I would like to put two merchant accounts in one machine. I wanted it to be wireless since I sell at points away from home. The salesman, Brian, told me that I could do all of these things-no problem. So he sent me the paperwork, I filled it out and returned it.

On May 8, I was approved, as was my son who was the second merchant on the machine. I was told that the machine would be sent yet that day and I should have it on Monday, May 11. I did not get the machine until Wednesday, May 13. I called to have the machine programmed and then found out that my son's information was not in the programming system. I was told to call Brian in sales. He referred me to Laura who told me that there should be no problem--that everything was in order. I called programming and after they checked, they reprogrammed the machine. When it came time to test, I asked if I should use a debit or credit card for the test. They told me I wasn't set up for accepting debit cards. They told me to call sales. So once again, I called Brian and asked if I was set up for debit cards. He said that he had corrected it in the paperwork that a.m. and everything was fine. I would be able to accept debit cards. I called programming and they told me that I was not set up for debit cards and that the terminal I had was not encrypted for taking debit cards. I found out then that I needed a chip of some kind to put in the machine to give it the wireless capability but I didn't have that either.

Here goes another call to Brian. He transferred me to Laura. Laura told me that I was not approved for debit cards and that I would have to fill out paperwork and return. She would send me another machine that was set up for debit cards and she would program it for me. I asked about the wireless chip and she told me that I should have a little orange plastic card that came with my machine. I told her I didn't have it. She said, "They must not have sent you one." My son wanted to use the machine for a customer the next day and Laura told me that we could still get the terminal programmed and he would be able to use it as long as he used the telephone hookup. She told me she would send the orange chip that day and I would receive it the next day.

Thursday, May 14, the orange chip did not show up. I called Brian who transferred me to Laura. She told me that it had been shipped Wed by USPS Express Mail. When she looked it up, she found out that it would not arrive until Friday, May 15.

We tested the terminal to see if it would work for the second merchant account and it would not. So I called programming and they had to do some more adjusting on the terminal to make it work. My son's customer used the terminal to make his payment on a Discover card, it was approved, and we were given an authorization number. I called tech support and asked if I had to do a batch close on the terminal and they told me no. They said it would be done automatically at the end of the day.

On May 18, I sent Laura 2 emails asking about debit card approval. She didn't respond until May 19 when she said it had been approved and the new machine was shipped that day. I did not receive on May 20 so emailed her again. She did not respond until May 21 saying that the new terminal would not program so they had to get another machine. It was shipped on May 21 and I should receive May 22. I did get the terminal but through her oversight, it was only programmed for one merchant account.

My son's credit card charge was made on May 14. This charge amounted to $6171.11. On May 20, after several calls to his bank to see if it had been deposited into his account, he called Laura. She talked to the accounting department and they told her there was no record of the charge. My son called accounting and they told him they had no record of the transaction and that neither one of our merchant accounts were programmed into their system. My son called Laura and she was going to check on it. She called back and asked if we had done a batch close. She said it had not been done and they would have to force a batch close if it wasn't already too late. Bear in mind that I had called right after getting the machine programmed and was told it was done automatically. I used my terminal to print out a batch close which had an authorization number.

Laura called back and said that we WERE programmed into the system, the batch DID close and the transaction DID go through but the money was being held up in the risk department. She gave Ryan a number to call and it was to Susan in the I Payment risk department. She also told him that if it had been a Mastercard or Visa, there would have been no problem with this transaction but because it was a Discover card...

Thursday, May 21, Ryan called Susan and she did not know why he was calling because she had already explained everything to Laura and Laura was to tell him what the problem was. According to Susan, the transaction did go through but was deposited into my merchant account and my checking account. I called my bank and the money was not deposited into either of our accounts. Susan wanted a copy of the customer invoice and three of my son's bank statements. He had to fax them to her. The following day, he called Susan and she told him that the money was being held at high risk because the average ticket limit he had set wasn't high enough even though the monthly limit was $15, 000. She told him that the transaction had been proessed for my checking account. She told him the only way to fix this was for him to credit his customer back and run a new charge.

Friday, May 22, I made a phone call to Brian in sales. He explained that since my son did not have enough in his checking account to cover the large charge of $6171.11, he was considered high risk. This should have nothing to do with depositing my son's money into his account. My son took the phone and Brian talked to him and asked more questions about his business. He told my son that he was going to talk to IPayment and see if he couldn't help get this resolved and get the money deposited into my son's bank account.. He also told my son to call Susan at IPayment and get a letter explaining why funds were being held so that he wouldn't get into trouble when he went over to talk to them. He was to call my son back in an hour or so but he never did. I called Brian several hours later and he said that he was actually in a meeting with them then and would call back in 15 minutes or so. The phone call never came. When my son tried to call him back, the person who answered said Brian was in a meeting and would call back. He never did. The next call made reached an answering machine. The next call Brian answered and when he found out it was my son, he hung up. The next call received an answering machine. We never did get a call back.

So, Friday, May 22, I sent an email to the sales department terminating both merchant accounts. Today, June 1, 2009, we have not heard one word from anyone at 1st American Card Service s. The money is apparently sitting in limbo. It has not been deposited into either of our accounts and it has not been given back to my son's customer. Total number of phone calls and emails is estimated at 50 to 75 times with no resolution to this problem. From beginning to end, we were given incorrect information. Phone calls and emails were not returned promptly and sometimes not at all.

Brian, the sales rep with over 20 years experience was fast talking--ready to sell anything but was in no way ready--or able--to help us get set up. Laura, the other sales rep was not knowledgeable on what we had signed up for and lied continuously about the first terminal and shipping and arrival dates of orange card and replacement terminal. She was slow to answer emails.

The sales department and technical department did not have enough communication to know what we needed to have or needed to do to get set up and running. I made many phone calls to both departments to try to get satisfaction--poor, poor service from beginning to end.

The accounting department also gave us the runaround and this charge of $6171.11 is STILL floating around without a home. After two weeks of total frustration, we ended up giving up!

This company is holding my son's customer's money to this date. It needs to be refunded to him. It is just sitting in limbo at this point with no place to go but back to the customer!

I have read of other complaints on various websites about this company. Check out [redacted]s.com, measuredup.com, merchantseek.com. to name a few. This company is totally unethical and incompetent.

I plan to add my complaint to every possible website I can find so that other people will not be blindsided by this horrible excuse for a merchant services provider! I am also going to contact the banking commission in their state as well as federal legislators in my state and theirs. I will contact Better Business Bureaus, and the attorney generals in both states to report this mess of a company.

Mindy Harris May 10, 2010

This is a complaint designed by a competitor that lost a sale to 1st American Card Service. A A+ rated company at the BBB for 28 years does not get that rating by accident... If you read the story, it is written by a women, who claims her son and her had 2 accounts and one machine. However, look at the top of the posting, it is submitted by Adam (she claims the sons name is Ryan). Clearly Adam is not the "women" that composed this "complaint". The go on to list complaints at "[redacted]s.com, measuredup.com, merchantseek.com". [redacted]s.com, measuredup.com only shows Adam's fabicated compalints. merchantseek.com is the company that has made this posting as an unprofessional advertisement., a company with a D rating at the BBB.

I am sure anyone can see through this...

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

We love 1st American Card Service and have been with them for 17 years! I find it disgusting that competitors will try to hurt another companies perfect reputation just to make a sale. People understand this complaint board does not do any checking of facts, anyone can say anything. Try the BBB to check the facts, it is how I found 1st American 17 years ago, they had an A+ rating, just checked today, they still have an A+ rating.

• Ra
    Ray-K Mar 04, 2011

Ray K

Adam or is it Emmylou from an identical post?
    Your credability is in question do to the double posting under different names? as for Mindy HArris and Lisa Burns both have so many comments that the average working business person doesn't have the time to do this much publicity for a company that is just thier merchant provider so you both look like paid PR people from 1st American. This entire racket appears to be just that and I'm really considering using cash to avoid them getting any of my money.

AND NO I'm not a competitor, I'm just a small non-proffit trying to find a decent Merchant Provider!!

This such a mess, where is the real reviews and how can anyone tell the difference?

1st American Card Servicemerchant services

So, Friday, May 22, I sent an email to the sales department terminating both merchant accounts. Today, June 1, 2009, we have not heard one word from anyone at 1st American Card Services. The money is apparently sitting in limbo. It has not been deposited into either of our accounts and it has not been given back to my son's customer. Total number of phone calls and emails is estimated at 50 to 75 times with no resolution to this problem. From beginning to end, we were given incorrect information. Phone calls and emails were not returned promptly and sometimes not at all.

This money is not 1st American Card Services money to keep. They MUST return it to the customer who made the $6171.11 charge on his Discover card!!! And it must be done NOW!!!

• Ho
    honest review Jul 03, 2009

This is obviously a business person that should never have had a merchant account. They go on to point out complaints from others at other websites but you find they are all by this person. It is very hard to believe that a 25 year old company with the highest BBB rating would do what she suggests. This site needs a delete button for people like this.

• Em
    emmylou Jul 03, 2009

This is obviously 1st American Card Service responding.

Check it out foryourself...MerchantSeek.com, [redacted].com, ComplaintsBoard.com...type 1st American Card Service into a search engine and see what you get! I only added my complaint to the others already there.

What's hard for me to believe is that they manage to maintain such a high BBB rating with the complaints they generate! This company keeps in the BBB's good graces by turning the facts to their favor and resolving the problem, but the BBB doesn't take into account the multitudes of issues leading up to that resolution, nor do they consider the fact that it isn't until a person contacts several different agencies that there is any communication towards a resolution generated by this company!

This company is highly unprofessional and highly unethical...1st American Card Service is the "delete button" you need to hit!!!

LisaBurns Aug 13, 2010

I have been a very, very happy customer of 1st American for over 17 years. I am 100% certain that this "complaint" is filed by a disgruntled competitor of 1st American. All I can say is you need to really read what this person wrote and it becomes very clear. I find it disgusting that people would tarnish another company just to advertise there own.

• Ji
    Jim123 Sep 17, 2010

Do N O T give them any information... (1st american credit card services). If you decide not to use them as a service provider they will hound you to death - even after asking nicely - five times - to stop contacting me, then demanding it, them telling them to #(*# off - they still continue over and over.
    stay away - find a more professional company even if it does cost you $0.00001 cents more per transaction.
    Good Grief!