Regional Yellow Pages OnlineDid not Authorize

B

Received a notice from A.C.A. Recovery, Inc. stating that my account from Regional Yellow Pages Online had been turned over to them for collection. I never authorized any business from Regional Yellow Pages. They played a very suspect tape with the voice of my ex-office manager supposedly authorizing this. Each answer on this tape had a tremendous pause between each answer, not a normal conversation. I called her and she said she never authorized anything as she kne she did not have the authority. This collection agency claims I owe over $600. I have never received a bill from Regional Yellow Pages that I am aware of or I would have definately disputed it at that time. I am going through legal channels now.

• Di
    disgruntled but not fooled Mar 20, 2012

My experience with this company has been very similar- Yellow Pages Online called me last summer to see if I wanted a listing with them.. they had initially contacted me in 2008, offering me a print listing and an online listing in a yellow pages directory. I agreed to it, but when the yellow pages were distributed, my business was not listed. I called Yellow Pages online to ask them about this and they claimed that they had no idea why I would have been told that I would have a print listing, as they dealt only with online advertising. I tried to cancel the online listing in various ways, by phone and by mail, but they have continued to bill me for it. I thought at first that it was just incompetence -a failure of internal communication on their part combined with poor sales practices which they would have to remedy on their own. Lo and behold, they called me again this past summer to " update" my listing. I informed them that I had cancelled it years ago and I was told that it could not be cancelled until it was paid. I told them that I would not pay for a product/ service that had been so misrepresented and they said that was fine, it would be sent to collections. Their collections rep, Linda Binks, was beyond rude. She does not care that the debt she is trying to collect on the behalf of Regional Yellow Pages online is not a valid debt. I hired a lawyer and told them they could take me to court. They have not done so, as I think that they know that they do not have a case that will hold up in court. I reported them to the FTC, and will tell them that our state attorney general will also hear about it if they call again. I was initially contacted in 2008 and am very surprised that they are still operating- this will stop if enough people complain about it and are not intimidated/ fooled into paying them.

• Ca
    Cableguy30043 Mar 08, 2012

Thank you Barb, this should be a great help. I will contact them asap. I have been in knots about this and now I can breath again.

Cableguy30043

B. Troendle Mar 06, 2012

Cableguy30043, The BBB did the trick for me, sent all the contact info and my side of the story (A.C.A. has tried me under 3 different names -- Regional Yellow Pages, YELLOWPAGESO and Local US Pages) fro 2009 to Dec. 2011. Contact the BBB of New Jersey 1700 Whitehorse - Hamilton Square Road Ste D5 Trenton, NJ 08680 Janice Croux [protected] Fax [protected] They stopped these crooks in their tracks and they dropped my case, closing it permanently. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you need more info or would like a copy of my letter to these rats.

• Ca
    Cableguy30043 Mar 05, 2012

I wish I had found this site last year. I did like others and paid ACA off to get them off my back. I thought that was it. This year I got another collection letter from ACA but this time it was from "local us pages". I checked the web site and sure enough there is a listing for my old company. Funny thing, I haven't owned that company for years but yet I still get pages on the web and collection letters. I called ACA and disputed the claim but I am not sure how I am going to deal with this. Looks like the FTC might be the trick. No checks from me this time.

• Lo
    Lorie G. Jul 11, 2011

We have been harrased for over 2 years by this company. They originally called and recorded my voice cancelling any service by them, but now they play back a tape that they have altered of my acceptance of services. They are now faxing "invoices" and saying we owe nearly $600.00, including "interest". I have told him I believe they are a fraudulent company and not to call back, but they keep persisting. I filed a complaint today with the Colorado attorney general.

• Wo
    woodenhearts Jun 28, 2011

Our business experienced the same and I have call the BBC in New York and they are going to investigate. This have been going on for over 3 years with us. Some way some how all of us business owners need to contract a Attorney General or the FBI to put these people behind bars for what they are doing to all of us. Harrasement is terrible with emails and phones calls. We got scammed into paying it the first time and did the same as many, told them to cancelled and never call us again. But here we are a year later and they keep calling. I asked them to play the recording that they said my wife authorized the advertisement. I then ask them what was the date. They gave me the date. I told them how could this be my wifes voice on this date because she was in the hospital on those days undergoing surgery. So then he turned the subject to well so sorry we will cancel your account but we need a credit card number to do that. I told him no way, you claim to be a laywer, and my attonory said no way to give out your credit card number on the phone. How come your asking if your a attorney. He then hung up on me. If you have any ideas on how to stop this please email us at [email protected]

• Bn
    b.n.j. Apr 12, 2011

Same scam on me, never authorized anything. I also never got an invoice until it was past due by six months. Was told if I paid the $400.00 they would discontinue the listing, eight months later I got another threatening letter wanting nearly six hundred more . The interesting part is they are charging me for alisting on a concrete company that has not existed since 1996. Also had a recording that was highly suspicious, claiming I verbally authorized the listing.If I hear from them again I will turn it to the state attorneys office.

• Ly
    Lyons Hoome Buildiing Mar 21, 2011

I wish I had seen this last year before I paid the bill!!! I have received another bill from Regional Yellow Pages after telling them last year to remove us and not to harass us ever again. A few weeks ago someone called from there saying our account is past due. I again told them we do not have an account. Now we have been faxed an invoice charging an additional $80 interest charges and $4o administration fees for a total of $620.26 for a service we never agreed to. Isn't there something we can do to stop this underhanded deal?

• Vk
    V K and T Mar 16, 2011

I have the exact same experience Every time I insisted on written, signed documentation, all she would say was that I had a verbal contract and that there was no way to contact the originator of the bill, that they would not answer my calls. So I am going to file this under SCAMS and file a complaint with the FTC

"The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish (bilingual counselors are available to take complaints), or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP [protected]), or use the complaint form at http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/complaint.htm. "

from Regional Yellow Pages Online
    on [protected] this was address
    626 Rex-Corp Plaza, PHB-6111
    Uniondale, NY 11556
    [protected]
    now [protected] the new address is
    1320 State Route 9, PBM-9477
    Champlin, NY [protected]

• Kd
    KDavis12 Mar 08, 2011

What a day I just had with my friendly RYPO collections lady. I too am being scammed with this bogus online listing crap. Our firm would never authorize the services they are stating we agreed to, as we do our own marketing, etc. My very ignorant collection representative, Lisa Johnson, was not so helpful when I tried to explain that that might have been me on that recording, but the recording had been altered and information was inserted, etc. She also called me a liar, pig, [censor] and idiot. Great customer services. After I told her she was trash she yelled at me some more and hung up. She then started sending me faxes with notes. Wonderful! I just got done filing a complaint with Consumer Affairs NY office. I have no intentions of paying this invoice nor paying anymore attention to this lame issue. Good Luck with those who are in the same boat as I!

• Di
    Dirk Hartman Feb 11, 2011

They haven't changed their act. i have the same thing. Last year I paid them off and requested a letter of dismissal saying we did not owe them anything more. Then this year the same thing, a claim we owe $600+ and are being sent to collections. They want me to pay by credit card over the phone or via email. I refused demanding a hard copy via US mail. The person on the phone, who had a foreign accent, but went by a clearly generic western name, told me they had sent invoices in May, July and August though I never received any bill from them. I have now requested a clear and quite notice be sent to me pending any payment. I also never authorized this listing. I have a degree in communications and would NEVER authorize any kind of Yellow Pages Listing, whether online or additional from the phone company. Only the basic listing from the local phone company is ever authorized and even then I clearly make known no additional paid listing is ever authorized. Write to the FCC and Dept. of Commerce about these shady characters! Any lawyers out there who have had this happen want to file a class action lawsuit? I am in!

• Ge
    get um! Dec 03, 2010

Having the same problems still.. I stupidly paid it last year to try and get them off of our back and said that this will be the final payment, etc etc. Now this year they're trying to collect again stating that their was no record of the cancellation!

• Jc
    JC - MIAMI FL Oct 22, 2010

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL! - THIS PEOPLE SHOULD GO TO JAIL - I HAVE BEEN IN THE SHIPPING INDUSTRY FOR OVER 25 YEARS
    WE A RE A SERVICE PROVIDER TO MAYOR COMPANIES " YES" THOSE THAT WILL NEVER LOOK FOR YOU IN THE YELLOW PAGES.

THIS IS SUCH A BIG SCAM!!! - THEY ARE TELLING YOU THEY HAVE A VERBAL APROVAL - FROM THE VENDOR!!! WHEN YOU ASK THEM FROM THE VENDORS NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION - THEY WONT GIVE IT TO YOU.. A BET THEY ARE PART OF THE SCAM.

WHO IS THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY THAT REGULATES THIS PEOPLE. - SEAT ON IT YELLOW PAGES ON LINE ... I'LL BE WAITING FOR THE COURT
    PAPERS- SO I CAN SHOW THE JUDGE YOUR TECHNICS. JUST TRY IT..

JC
    MIAMI FLORIDA

• Mm
    MM, Colorado Sep 21, 2010

A comment to "A Shear Experience, Inc." I had the exact experience...even the exact amounts owed. I got a little suspicious, and almost laughable, when I called concerning the collection letter. I spoke to a man with a very recognizable voice...I asked to speak with Mr. Cutler; I was put on hold for possible 30 seconds and the man with the very same voice answered with "this is Mr. Cutler". My reply..."Really!" I thought I must be on a Seinfeld show. I have filed a report with the BBB and will do the same with the FTC, etc.

Mary
    Colorado

• Sp
    SpgConsultants Sep 14, 2010

Has Your Office Encountered The Online Yellow Pages Scam?

Harassing calls, threats and use of obscene language can pressurize you to the edge and moreover, a collector may embarrass you by contacting your employer or even be pursued to disburse for a debt that is not rightfully yours.

There are limits on how far telemarketers can go, that is why we provide information on how to put an end to telemarketer calls and more efficiently, how to correspond with them about your account and/or to dispute a collection action and can teach you what are your rights in terms of privacy.

You can find out more information on our website:www.spgconsultants.com

By informing each other, we protect each other

• Ga
    gary mayelan Sep 13, 2010

two years ago they called us and said we owe them for advertising that we never asked for .thinking that by not paying our credit will ruin we paid them but before paying we told them that get us off of your list we dont want any kind of service from this company but now i receive this letter again saying we owe them another 500 dollars .this company is a scam dont pay them any thing i will fight with them no matter what it takes .

B. Troendle Aug 04, 2010

J.N.S. e-mail me at [email protected] & I will send you my letter that stopped them.

• Jn
    J.N.S. Aug 04, 2010

I just hung up from these [censor]! Jim Walker (he says his name is) called me and played the recording. It was me but I know I didn't authorize the purchase because I never authorized a purchase in the 5 years that I've been with my company. I don't know what to do. My boss wants me to make it go away but I don't know if I can. I need advice.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID BY CC, CALL AND REVERSE PAYMENT.

IF YOU ARE BEING HARASSED, CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE WITH A COMPLAINT. THE LOCAL POLICE WILL CALL THESE GUYS.

ACCREDITED COLLECTION AGENCY IS IN ON THE SCAM, THEY CAN DO NOTHING TO YOUR CREDIT.

May I speak with the Office Manager please. . .

Hi, my name is - -. I am calling with the Regional Yellow Pages. I am calling regarding your request that you made about three months ago, that you want to remove your listings from our database and cancel all your future listings. Is that correct?

Yes = Closer. No = Opener

An opener means you do not want to cancel and will be charged the $479.95. This rarely happens so it will be mostly a Closer.

Closer

Alright - What I will do today is that l will close your account and provide you with a cancellation file # and also, we will send you a Letter of Closure stating that the account is permanently closed with us, which means that we will not be contacting you for any renewals or updates, and we will also put it on our do-not- call, do-not-renew list, OK.

Since the listings were started in - - they will expire in - - and will be purged from our database.

You will also receive the balance of the invoice, which is $ 479.95 and the invoice will be marked FINAL on it.

Do you use purchase order numbers down there or should we just mail this invoice to your attention?

Alright, and the address we have on file is - - OK and your name is- - ? And position - - . Are you authorized to approve and accept this Final Invoice for your Company? (Must be Yes)

OK someone from my Quality Control Department will give you a call later on today and will confirm the mailing address and provide you with your file number.

Thanks for your time and business, and have a great day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Sp
    SpgConsultants Jul 12, 2010

Phony directories or yellow page scams usually target small to medium sized businesses. The scam manifests itself in the form of solicitors calling businesses and seeking to verify the company's name and physical location, and allegedly calling to "renew" or "re-enroll" an existent yellow pages listing or advertisement. Many companies or their employees are misled into accepting the alleged "renewals." The illegitimate directory provider immediately sends an invoice for this service, usually in the amount of hundreds of dollars, and threatens businesses with collections or credit report damage should they dispute the charges or decline to pay.

If you lost money to this type of scam if your business has been swamped with calls regarding collection calls, your accounts payable is swamped with invoices from telemarketing company's from out of state with post office boxes close to the Canadian boarder.

You can find out more information on our website: www.spgconsultants.com

By informing each other, we protect each other

• Pa
    Palatka Heating and Air Jul 08, 2010

Regional Yellow Pages online has a recording of an employee of mine just saying "yes" to confirm our fax number and address, we have been charged over $ 600.00 to supposedly be on their website. now we have been turned in to a collection agency. We will not pay this bill, and believe it is a SCAM. We have also contacted our attorney and he has sent them a letter.

• De
    dedie72 Jul 06, 2010

Dealing with exact same thing here also. Very frustrating!!! As many of you I don't have the funds or time to be dealing with this. But I can say this, I serve a big God and vengence is His!!! I feel sorry for them.

• De
    dedie72 Jul 06, 2010

I have been threatened by ACA Recovery, stating that I owe 604.95 to Regional Yellow pages online for a service which I did not authorize . When I googled the name I came upon this site and saw all of the exact same complaints. I am curious to see if anyone has made any progress in dealing with this.

• Mh
    MHJones Jul 06, 2010

I received this same call only with a new angle. They start by verifying their information to get the listing correct. Then they ask you to speak to some sort of recorded verification. Prior to asking each question, the call operator tells you to ignore the pricing information that is on the recording as it will not apply to you. The recording then asks you to agree to their terms which includes some sort of payment (around $30 / month). When I would not agree, the operator got back on and was trying to explain that those charges do not apply to us. He kept saying that "the management of your company will have time to properly look at our program if they don't want to participate." Interesting since they were talking with "management."

• Gf
    gf2 Jul 05, 2010

Here is some information I found on the FTC website pertaining to this scam...

How can I protect my business?
    Take the following four steps to protect your company from business directory fraud.

1. Train your staff to spot this scam. Educate your employees about how this scam works. In addition to your regular receptionist, talk to everyone who may pick up the phone. Put a copy of this alert in employee mailboxes. Mention it in a staff meeting. Post it on the break room bulletin board or where employees clock in and out.

2. Inspect your invoices. Depending on the size and nature of your business, consider implementing a purchase order system to make sure you’re paying only legitimate expenses. At a minimum, designate a small group of employees with authority to approve purchases and pay the bills. Train your team to send all inquiries to them.

3. Compile a list of the companies you typically use for directory services, office supplies, and other recurring expenses. Encourage the people who pay the bills to develop a “show me” attitude when it comes to unexpected invoices from companies they’re not familiar with. Don’t pay for products or services you’re not sure you ordered.

4.Verify to clarify. Many business directory scam artists are headquartered in Canada, but use post office boxes or mail drops to make it look like they are in the United States. Before paying, check them out for free at bbb.org, and read the BBB’s report on them.

5. File a complaint. If a scammer is sending you bogus bills, speak up. Visit bbb.org to complain to the BBB. And let the FTC know by filing a complaint at ftc.gov or calling 877-FTC-HELP [protected]). Your complaints help shape the FTC’s law enforcement agenda, so it’s important to sound off when you spot a scam. Concerned about business directory fraudsters’ threats to tarnish your credit if you don’t pay? Many will simply drop the matter — and may even provide a refund — if they know you’ve complained to the BBB and law enforcement.

• Sg
    SGP Jul 05, 2010

So reading all of these...does anyone have a solution to get this resolved without hiring an attorney? I know this is a scam, we all do, it is just eating up valuable time that none of us have to spend dealing with these losers. I think we need to all figure out the best way to get rid of them and barrage them with it.

B. Troendle Jun 17, 2010

KBay,

Contact me at [email protected] and I will send my letter to A.C.A. Recovery. Have not heard a word from them since.

Sincerely,
    Troendle Marine, Inc

• Kb
    KBay Jun 16, 2010

I am in the middle of the same scam. The guy called me and said that they wanted to verify our information. I said we're not interested. He said it was too late as we still had a year left on our 2 year (or was it 3 year?) contract and he was giving me a deal of only $4.80 for the last year. As I was not here with the company when the contract started, I went ahead and authorized it as I thought I was saving us money like the guy said. He told me to say yes to all the questions that were being asked by the authorizer. When I was being recorded, I didn't at first realize that the price was now $479.95. So after another question or 2 I said "wait, wait, that's not the price I was told" so she sent me thru to someone else and I started asking about who authorized the original contract in the first place as I KNEW my boss would never have authorized it. They gave me my name as the authorizing person. I said that is not true as I haven't been working there that long. So anyway, I got them to cancel it. Then a week later we got a bill and a cancellation letter. We filed them away. Last Friday Joanne (extension 303) called and said we're very late and she'll be sending us to collection. I said we cancelled it. She played me the recording. Conveniently, it cut off the part where I said "Wait, wait, that's not the price I was told." She offered me a discounted price of $325 to keep it from going to collections. When I called back Monday to talk to them about it, I could not get anyone who could tell me anything about my contract. I asked for a supervisor and was told "I'm an account manager. I have no supervisor." But she still had no information on our account.

My question is this. What happens if it gets sent to collections? Does it go on the company's credit record? My boss will not allow that, but I don't want to pay them one cent.

• Cu
    culina May 10, 2010

Attention: regionalyellowpagesonline.com and ACA Recovery
    Re: Your attempt to collect a debt for without contract through fraudulent means
    Business Name: Culina, Inc
    www.culinainc.com

Be advised that I have written a letter disputing the debt in full per your request within the 30 day window. I have contacted my business attorney David B. Bice who is in possession of your letter and my letter refuting your claim that I owe this debt.

I am disputing this debt under the following:
    - I never authorized this service and was unaware of it
    - The business was miscategorized on your website - if you are going to scam someone, at least get their business category correct
    - I was never provided a contract requiring my signature to authorize services
    - I have never been sent a bill ever and was unaware of the debt until the manager of the store was told it was over a year old

Be advised that I WILL NOT PAY THIS BILL. Furthermore, my employees have been advised to tape all conversations with your company or ACA Recovery. I am an IT professional, a recording service was added to the telephone for their protection and to track the amount of time you consume of my business telephone. There is no reason to call them because they have no authorization to make business decisions, they have no financial signatory authority and cannot resolve the debt for you. They have no access to checks or credit cards. They are simply, employees.

If you call and harass the employees of my business, I will report you to the Federal Trade Commission and I will bill you in per minute increments for any time spent tying up my business telephone. You will be billed at a rate of $2.50/minute billed in 10 minute increments. As you have been notified in writing of my fee, I will consider any future calls to my business as an agreement to pay this fee just as you tout that your bogus audio tape is an admission to pay for services I did not order.

• Cu
    culina May 10, 2010

I have a small business in Lynchburg, Virginia. I have the same issue but I don't care. I have already been scammed by another Yellow Pages company in Carrollton, Texas. I would not fall for this again.

ACA sent a letter stating that I had 30 days to dispute the bill in writing. I have disputed the bill. If they call my business harrassing my employees or me, I will file an official complaint. Whatever you do - do NOT pay this bill! This is scam, a clever one but a scam nonetheless.

Do not be intimidated by them. Keep writing that you dispute the bill, contact the better business bureau and the FTC. If you have an attorney, have them write a letter for you right away.

• Pm
    pmast13 May 08, 2010

Wow, same thing has happened with me pretty much verbatim with what most are saying on here. I knew it had to be some kind of scam but never researched it as I knew I had never agreed to do any advertising with them. Just received this collection letter from ACA Recovery like many on here for $604.95.
    The best part is that when I asked when the advertising began with them they told me months before I even started my business!! So I am in the midst of filing complaints.

• Da
    Danelle May 06, 2010

Same here, got a call first telling me that there is a balance on our bill and they need to verify some info which I did, we’ve got the bill in the mail but didn’t pay it as we didn’t have an account with this company and we knew it’s a scam. They send us to collections and today got a call from their lawyer. I just filled a complain with FTC and I’ll file one with BBB, really hope they’ll stop it as I’m tired of their harassing calls.

• Ng
    nga-anna May 06, 2010

I got the BBB mediator assisting with my case. I email the mediator this website and the Federal Trade Commission to show this Regional Yellow Pages Online is a big scam. With all these complaints, I hope they stop or the law need to step in and put these guy in jail. Here is my fax response to them:

Fax
    To: Regional Yellow Pages Online
    Attn: Joanne Scott From: Anna
    Fax: [protected] Pages: 1
    Phone: [protected] Date: May 06, 2010
    Re: False Contract Agreement cc: Madelyn Murray BBB Mediator
    • Urgent • For Review • Please Comment •Please Reply • Please Recycle

Attention: Regional Yellow Pages Online
    I do not owe nor shall I pay anything to Regional Yellow Pages Online because this is a scam. Check out these websites to see the people are complaining about your scam business. So do us all a favor stop what you are doing because nation wide you are known as a scam.

Regional Yellow Pages Online — Did not Authorize.html#c656076.

Anna

• Dr
    drscott May 05, 2010

I just got off the phone with a rep from ACA recovery about the regional yellow pages online. Similar story as everyone above. I wish that I had googled this while I was on the phone with him. I knew that it was a scam but this guy was good. He tried to convince me to pay and I told him no. He said that " I have heard a lot of these taped calls before and the way your receptionist sounded, I recommend that you pay and not go to court on this, this was a very clear case and you owe this money" Ha Ha.
    I asked him to give me proof of the original conversation where I, or someone in my office, agreed to the listing. He couldn't of course and then he said he would check it out for me, but "in all honesty", it would be a low priority since he had more than 150 other cases that he had to work on. LMAO!

Scott

• Fr
    FrontDesk May 02, 2010

This guy Ray Patell keeps calling our business claiming we owe them money. They got my name but I'm only a Front Desk clerk. A letter has been sent to the AG in NY by our attorney. Our regular Yellow Pages say they are a Scam.

• Cross_Construction_Company Apr 17, 2010

We did not request the service that Regional Yellow Pages Online is attempting to collect from our company. I called on July 14th, 2009 to ask that the billing be stopped and to question why we were receiving a bill for a service for which we did not ask. The individual that I spoke with asked to record my statement which I agreed to. When I started protesting about the fact that we did not request this service, the gentleman stated that he had to start the recording over because the conversation was going over the time limit. In the second recording, I simply answered his questions which confirmed my name and our address.
    In an internet search for Regional Yellow Pages Online, there are numerous similar complaints about the bad business practices of this company. These complaints sound very similar to what I experienced. The tactics of Regional Yellow Pages Online are unscrupulous and underhanded. We are hardworking, honest Christians and I despise dealing with a group who appears to have no regard for basic human decency and honesty.
    By copy of this letter, I am notifying our attorney. It is not our desire to pursue legal action but at the same time, I absolutely refuse to simply pay this fee. If it is necessary to go through the legal system to get this balance abated so be it.

B. Troendle Mar 31, 2010

I wrote a letter to A.C.A. Recovery, sent it certified mail with signature required (signed by "T. Palacio) and have not heard a peep from this scammer since. I would be happy to send a copy of my letter to anyone interested as it has stopped this nonsense.

• Me
    Me, too Mar 30, 2010

More information ... try to find the ACA Recovery Inc. They have a website, only an 800 number for customer service. I've tried several 800 reverse directory look-ups and this number cannot be found. I have not been contacted by them yet. My banker suggested I have my lawyer write a letter to RYPO, so that is my next step.