RefinedUnfair Employment Practices

E Review updated:

I worked for this Company for a week and was I told I would be paid $300 for first weeks training. One day I came in and one of the girls that was working there told me it was payday. Everyone was given a check except me I figured that I would get a check next payday because I wasn't on payroll yet. After researching more about the company I was working for I realized that they had upset a lot of employees by overworking and not compensating them for that work. I decided that I would stop working for them and started looking for work elsewhere. I never received that $300 for the week that I worked there and instead of calling and requesting a check I figured I was better off forgetting about it and cutting my losses. I was unemployed for a little over a month when I finally got a Job as a waitress. For this month I continued collecting unemployment to help keep my debts from becoming too overbearing. Since I have been working, pulling doubles to get caught up with the bills that have piled up since working for Refined, I am finally back on my feet again and feel a sense of accomplishment and new found independence. That was until I received a letter from EDD (Employment Development Department), or Unemployment Department stating that I was being fined for $785 for overpayment of benefits. I just got to the point where I can finally stand on my own and now I am being labeled a fraud by the federal government. You might understand that this letter came as a shock, I have filed unemployment before and never had this problem. The Fact is this I was hired by Refined by an at will employment agreement, I worked for them for a week before I found out that they were a corrupt company, I then quit voluntarily, I was never paid the $300 promised to me for training, the Unemployment Department contacted Refined and where told that I quit, under section 1275A I am not allowed to rightfully collect unemployment and have now been fined for the payments I had received for that one month of unemployment. Now I am left with the battle to appeal this fine and clear my name with EDD. Although I do not think it will be hard with the reputation of this company. Thank you for hearing my complaint.

• Ha
    Hardie Sep 22, 2009

If you get a notice to attend a review with EDD be sure to go. Be armed with paper documents and facts, not whines, however.

Jaxx Dec 29, 2009

You may have a few issues:
    When you filed your claim, did you say you were fired, laid off or quit?
    Did you put the wages that you should have earned, if they were for the week that you filed your claim?

Normally if you quit, you may still qualify for unemployment if you had a good reason to quit, and you tried to preserve your job. Also, that notice should have stated the exact reason why you were deemed ineligible(you quit without cause...) So basically you would only get that notice if incorrect information was given at claim filing, or something that happened while you were claiming benefits...Good luck, the judges overturn most things these days. Even if you are found ineligible, depending on circumstances, you may request a waiver. You may not get it, but you can try.

Annette Montgomery Aug 04, 2019