Reader's Digest SweepstakesI won a $1,000,000.00

C

I received a letter I won $1, 000, 000.00. Inside the letter was a check I was to deposit for the fews $5, 228.00. The check was a fake and when I called them back they said they didn't know it was a fake. We have sent a total of $150, 000.00 with the promise that the check was to be delivered over a month straight since September 2008. Last Friday she guaranteed me that the winnings would be there by 5:00 p.m. I had checked out all the numbers that were on the letter. Her name is Ruby Lawson that I have been dealing with and her phone number is [protected]. Another number that I was able to call up until Friday is: [protected] and one other one is [protected]. The [protected] number says the account has been temporarily put on hold. Good bye. The other numbers just say Bye.

All the monies that we have sent have gone to different cities in Canada.

Can you help me?

Sincerely

Cheryl L. Roatch

• CONTACT CYBER CRIME BUREAU INVESTIGATION OFFICE E-MAIL:[email protected]

Jatin Beyal Mar 30, 2015

Even I too received a letter (30/3/2015) with three blue duck cheques stating that I "Could" won a Grand total of 20 Billion INR. They requested an amount of 579 for the same to process the payment.
    Concluding all the clues one can Easily determine it's Fake.
    Jatin Beyal
    (India)

• Cy
    Cyber crime Bureau uk org Feb 08, 2015

Contact scam investigation departent E-mail:[email protected]

• Ga
    ganesh.s Feb 06, 2015

we have received a letter like you have a chance to win 1500000 inr and early reply bonus 200000 inr. but i have to pay 549 rs earlier. iam sure this is a scam

• Ca
    Carrie Aug 02, 2011

How stupid can you be?????? No legitimate sweepstakes EVER asks for money!!!

• Re
    Rev Denny Jun 17, 2011

I received a phone call this morning from (aka) Readers Digest saying I won the June Sweepstakes of $250, 000.00! the caller said that there would be a delivery today at 4:30pm with a package. I was to go to my local Wal Mart and get a money gram senders form in the amount of $558.00 and send to them...then he called back and asked me if I had left yet to send the money...I replied "Not until the pkg arrives so I can view it"..he said no I have to send the money first!! I said no way-GOODBYE! The address I was to send the money gram to was:

CHAROEN DOO SUNVALLEY CA 91352 and the calling number was" [protected]

the number given to call him back was the same number!

scam!

Rev. Denny Shipp
    Maryland

• Ac
    AC.Soto Apr 20, 2011

They have now increased their "game." I have recently got a letter saying i won $500, 000 in a reader digest sweepstakes on Feb.29, 2011. i was given a claim code and everything.the letter contained the actual reader digest water mark and a return address that works. i googled everything before i thought I'd give it try. Take god my bank caught it. WELLS FARGO ROCKS!!! i thought hey maybe reader digest does like me lol since i buy stuff from them all the time. the check was from a legit insurance business stating "this $4, 789.56 check is to cover insurance and administrative fees." also that they will be sending a representative down to where i live to give me the actual check. it seemed so real. CHRIS CHANDLER was who i had to contact, phone number [protected]. also Kelvin Taylor the prize Award Administrator [protected], if you call him it will say he is unavailable and to call your customer care rep. also if you ask to speak with someone higher they will not transfer you, you have to deal with that one person only. now that i look back upon it, anyone can fall for it. i am a college student who is racking up in the debt wheel. i thought this is what i just need, thought my problems would be solved but yet i knew deep down it was way too good to be true. glad i didn't get my hopes up too high. i wish people had better things to do then mess with peoples lives. the only thing I'm really concerned with, is how did they get my parents home address.

thanks to everyone who posted all the comments, if it wasnt for you guys i would have had my hopes real high...
    hope none of you guys were really affected by this scam...

• Fi
    Fired Up in Pa Jan 20, 2011

These people are still at it. I just got a letter today 01-20-11 they say they I have won 500, 000. and sent a check for 4, 987.00.
    All I have to do is deposit the check and call them back then we will go from there. Funny thing is the letter says its from Readers Digest but he didnt seem to know where I won the money from. The letter was addressed from Ny. The check was from Fl. and the call was made to Ga. All of this somehow just doesnt add up and they are not smart enough to see this. The check doesnt even look real. No address for the company that it comes from and the numbers at the bottom are all wrong. I am going to see who I can turn this into. I hope other people are paying attention. Also at the bottom they list Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Macys, Zeller sand Sears. Not really sure what they are supposed to have to do with Readers Digest.

• Em
    Emptynestmama Dec 13, 2010

Letter we received was from Farmers and "Readers Digest", first clue was they had my husbands knickname, not his real name. Again, if its too good to be true it is. They told my husband to deposit check in our account and when it clears send them 3155.75 out of the 4900.00 $ check. Michael Washington was customer care rep. and letter signed by John Limmer, phone number is...[protected]...wish we would have really won :)

• Pc
    P.C. Dec 07, 2010

Just wanted to add that I received the same letter Katrina from Michael Washington except his name was spelled Micheal Washington on my letter. He too called me back from a different number thanks for your post, and again I was never in jeopardy because I wasn't sending him any money even if he would have asked.

• Pc
    P.C. Dec 07, 2010

I received a check today from Reader's Digest for $4, 980.10 claiming that I won their sweepstakes. By the way my prize winnings was $500, 000 wow right, that's what I thought. I have to admit because I entered so many sweepstakes I was so excited to think that I actually won. So I called the number and I had to leave a message, 20min. later I received a call back and the caller told me congratulations I have won their sweepstakes and that the check I received is to cover the insurance and taxes on the prize money. He also asked if I want to make it publicly known about my winnings because they print the winners in their magazine and newspaper ads etc. I opted to keep it private. I was told to deposit the check and I will be receiving my prize on December 11, 2010 by fed ex. I was never asked to send any money or give any private info(I wasn't going to do it any way) but I decided to investigate it all and I stumbled upon this site and wow it all sounds too familiar. The only difference is that my letter is post marked from Seattle, WA. I think I'll wait until Fed Ex deliver my prize. So sorry this has happened to you, but NEVER EVER send MONEY to claim a prize or winnings, that is always a red flag. Best of luck to everyone.

• Ka
    katrinac Nov 18, 2010

november, 2010
    my name is katrina i got a letter about a week and a half ago with a check for 4, 965 dollars for the aid in the ins.for my 500, 000 dollar check to be fedexed to me the guy i was supposed to talk to was michael washington the number he gave me in the letter was disconnected two days after i got the check but he made the mistake of calling me from another number i did deposit the check in my bank and even put a new truck on hold which i really needed then my bank informed me that the check was counterfiet well i called mr.washington and told him what they said he told me that my bank had already pulled the money out of his bank wellthat was untrue then he said that we could put it on a credit card and he really got mad because the credit card number that i gave him was a prepaid card that i had just activated and had not put any money on yet, thank god. when he could not take anything off of it he got really mad. he did mess up though the number that he had called me from was able to be traced so i really hope that he will not be trying this scam on anybody else ever again.

• De
    desperate blonde Jul 12, 2010

i received my check for $4960 today and was told to deposit it. I went home and looked at the letter that states i won $$$$$ thousands. I notices that the signed name and the printed name are different. So i called my bank and sent a locked down on my account. The deposit did not go thru. This is still happening. The given phone # was from British Colombia. I dont know if there is anything we can do from U.S. I am glad there's a lot of posted comment about this scam. thank you all.

• Cy
    Cynamon Yarborough Jul 12, 2010

Them GD Scammers!!! i got a letter in the mail saying i entered in to the Readers Digest Sweepstakes. and they had a check in here also for 4, 970.15. they told me to call Wendy Lewis @ [protected] to activate my check. do u know these [censor]es took money off my cell phone and didnt connect me to the people to activate my check. WTF! i am ready to put a hurting on these people for scamming people who think this is a blessing. i am sick of living poor and they [censor] people up thinking we gonna go activate and cash a check that i won off of a sweepstakes thing. What kinda people are they? Scammers is what i say. i just wonna [censor] them people up right about now!getting my hopes up 4 nuthing. Yall scammers can GO 2 HELL 4 all i care. Damn u [censor]es!!!

• Ju
    JULYGIRL Jun 01, 2010

WE RECIEVED THE SAME LETTER, EXCEPT FOR CONTACT NAMES. THE LETTER HAS A CLAIM CODE #, AND WHEN WE FINALLY REACHED THE PERSONS AT THE LISTED #'S WE WERE ALSO TOLD TO CALL BACK IN 1/2 HOUR. WE DID AND GOT A RECORDED MESSAGE SAYING CALL SYSTEM WAS FULL AND COULD NOT RECIEVE MORE CALLS. APPROX. 15 MINUTES LATER A MALE CALLED US AND TOLD US THE CHECK WAS INDEED GOOD AND TO DEPOSIT IT A.S.A.P. - THEN TO CALL HIM LETTING HIM KNOW WHEN IT WAS DEPOSITED. HE INFORMED ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE INSURANCE AND SHIPPING COST OF THE REMAINING PRIZE. OH YES, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT IN OUR CASE WE SUPPOSEDLY HAD WON $145, 000.00 PLUS WE RECIEVED A CHECK FOR $4980.70 THE CHECK WAS DRAWN ON CHASE BANK . THE LETTERHEAD AT TOP OF CHECK WAS IMPRINTED - CONNECTICUT GENERAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY - IN THE TOP LEFT HAD A CIGNA IMPRINT. THE CHECK LOOKED ABSOLUTELY VALID. THE LETTERHEAD ON THE LETTER HAD THE READERS DIGEST LOGO . AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE WAS A WALMART LOGO, SEARS, KMART, TARGET, HOME DEPOT, ZELLERS, AND MACY'S LOGO. TOMORROW I WILL VISIT SOME OF THESE STORES AND SPEAK TO THE MANAGERS, ALSO I PLAN TO GO THE THE POLICE AND SEE WHAT, IF ANYTHING CAN BE DONE TO STOP THIS. MY CONTACT 3'S WERE [protected], VERONICA MILLER. WE HAVE THE MAN'S NAME WHO MY HUSBAND SPOKE WITH, AT WORK, HE FORGOT TO BRING IT HOME. ANOTHER # WE WERE GIVEN IS [protected] THIS IS THE # THAT WENT TO CANADA. IF I'M SKIPPING AROUND A LITTLE, I'M TIRED AT THIS TIME AND IT'S GETTING LATE HERE, BUT I WANTED TO GET THIS INFO OUT ASAP. HOPEFULLY, IT WILL STOP SOMEONE ELSE FROM FALLING FOR THIS AWFUL FRAUD AND SAVE SOMEONE THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY

Marchia1 May 10, 2010

I received one of these checks yesterday. It said I won $250, 000! I called the number and she told me to deposit the check, I would owe nothing and they wouldn't ask for any personal information. I was always told that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Well, this was too good to be true! I called the number again today with some more questions and the woman I spoke with, Amy Cooper, with a Canadian number said for me to go ahead and deposit the check and then call her. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I'm not the dullest either. I began to think about the people who win lotteries and how taxes are taken out before they get the money. I looked at the envelope and my name was typed on a label with no return address. The check does look real with a watermark and everything. It was from Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company drawn on a Bank One account. Nothing on the check said Reader's Digest and the numbers at the bottom are not right. I just called the number again and told her I had more questions. She told me to call back in 1/2 hour I told her NO, I needed answers now! She got very defensive and I told her this was a scam. She said, very angriliy that if I thought it was a scam, to hang up and I did. Reader's Digest needs to put a stop to this. These people are really tarnishing their name!
    What can we do to stop this?? Innocent people are going to lose money! Thank God I had enough sense to go online and and google Reader's Digest and found these other complaints. But what about the people that fall for this?

• Ct
    cterrain Mar 22, 2010

i received a letter with a check for 3, 620.00 it has a post mark from canada and says i have to contact jack loyd or barbara adams at [protected] to activate my funds, its says this check will cover any insurance fees that may be required, i called the number but i dont get any answer, it says i actually won a lump sum payout of 355, 069, 00 from the readers digest sweepstake draw on jan, 4 2010, the check is a cashiers check from chase bank, i almost fell out when i first got it, i got 3 kids it would have been a miracle.

• Aw
    awolnez Mar 16, 2010

i just got one yesterday, from new york with a check in it for 3900 dollars. i supposably won 130, 000 dollars. but the wierd thing is is that she never asked me to send them any money, just that i'll be expecting the prize wagon thurs. or fri. how ###ed

• Na
    navada Feb 26, 2010

I should have knowed better. I have been had by whom ever these people are. I hope that they get cought, because no one should play games like that. ya boy turk b

• St
    standupforyourself Feb 22, 2010

Thanks to everyone for posting their responses! I have been hassled via my cell phone for over a month, and each time I tell the person I am speaking to to stop calling me he responds as if I'm crazy not to take the bait. Finally, I not only got a call but I got a letter with the infamous Canadian postmark on it. When I saw the check and read the letter, etc. I knew it was fraudulant but was curious enough to look up info...that's how I found you! I also sent an e-mail to Reader's Digest requesting a list of this year's winners along with a copy of the letter I received asking them to confirm it's legitemacy...Someone in this forum made a comment about the Banks being responsible for protecting us from this kind of fraud...well, not really...

• Ms
    Ms.Biggs Feb 22, 2010

I to recieved a letter and check from Readers Digest with the same contacts but different number Peter Nibul or Carol Henser #[protected]. I havent called because I felt it was a scam because the letter head says Houston, Texas but the post mark is canada and if I had won money why would I have to pay any fees to receive it. These phone numbers have to be linked to someone! There has to be some way to catch these crooks. I am truly sorry for all that has been taken advantage of and I agree the banks should be held responsible for cashing them of all places you would think they would know what to look for and be looking out for us. I think banks are scammers their self

• Do
    dont loose it Feb 18, 2010

I received a check from Readers Digest anda Mumber from a Peter Nibul or Carol Henser [protected] who said that these winnings were legitimate but this is the same story I am reading it is tha same scam. Check never cleared the bank and then they ask you to send it back to them and scan you out of thousands of dollars.
    It sounded nice but the reality it is a scam and we need to double check before sending any money transfers!

• Bi
    Big Dan Feb 08, 2010

We too also recieved a check for $3, 950 dollars.Brad Dickson said to deposit the check and my wife wins $97, 000.00. The check was stolen account information from Georgia!!! The Readers Digest letterhead looked pretty good, even the picture of Derrick Williams CFO. Brad Dickson said to take the $3, 950.00 check to Walmart, cash it and send Lenders Watson in London U.K. a money gram, from Walmart, for $3, 150.00 for handeling fees and the insurance for the $97, 000.00 This thing is really bogus!!! My wife took the check to another bank and opened up a savings account. The new bank said that the check was no good. Broke her heart. Besides her heart being broken no other harm was done. I'm thankful for that.
    After spending the afternoon on sites like this, I found out a lot of info; [protected] is a cell phone # from Canada. The provider of this numberis a company called Fido Solutions. Mega- big company. I e-mailed them.
    The U.S. Secret Service is handling the stolen account information # [protected]. Her name is Barbra. I e-mailed them. I also e-mailed RCMP[Royal Canadian Mounted Police]. I emailed the FBI. I e-mailed Homeland Securtity. I think that stealing from honest hard working Americans is pretty low. All the e-mails I sent were the same.. Are these people trying to steal from us to fund more terrorisum????? I gotta go, Lots of e-mails to answers. I'm a Viet Nam combat vet & MP with a passport!!!

• Th
    thubb Feb 04, 2010

mashoq... i recieved a check and a letter too. this was tuesday, it was also from readers digest and the check was for 3, 427. I called and talk to a man named paul newman. like everybody else said he told to go put the check in the bank right away and so no one else would get my winnings. the letter said i had won 355, 069. On wednesday he gave me a confirmation number saying that i was going to meet some people that they was going to interview me. See but today i went to the bank to see if the check cleared and it didnt so.. the people at my bank said the check was not good.. And he has called me about ten times saying that i must hurry up and send 2, 700 for fees and the people that suppose to interview me will be at my house 2morrow by 6p.m. if there is anything else here is my email [email protected] thanks have a nice day.

mashoq Feb 03, 2010

Just recieved a check and letter. the letter said readers digest and the check was from allstate it was 3, 985.50 so i called this lady by the name of susan moore at [protected] she told me to deposit the check to my bank nd call her back so i deposited the money to my bank and called her back she said she will call me tomorrow about how i can recieve my the rest of money like 130, 000 so please people what should i do should i go back to the bank nd tell them that the check is fraud and not even pick up her phone or what can some one send me email ASAP at [email protected] thank you

• Hj
    hjangelo4 Jan 10, 2010

I too received the Reader's Digest check for $3, 051.80 toward sfees etc, for having "won" $65, 000.00 I appreciate the information provided here and as much as I'd like to think I won this, I realize what a scam it is. The check looks so real and the letterhead isn't too bad. It's unfortunate that these people are out there. My letter is signed by Terry Robertson and his number is [protected]. The letter is from Canda and the check is supposedly drawn on BancorpSouth in Arkdelphia, AR. Good luck to those who have deposited their checks and may have sent money--I wish you well and if anything, there is always a lesson to be learned, albeit a rather expensive one at that.

• Ms
    MS. Glascoe Dec 28, 2009

Hi. I just received a letter with a check for $3, 750. It was supposedly from Reader's Digest. I have entered no such sweepstakes. I was to contact a Brent Lawson at [protected]. There is a picture of a man by the name of Derek Williams. It's amazing to me how these people think it's o.k. to prey on people this way. Please pay attention before giving these creeps you hard earned money!

Sarah Glascoe, Newton, NC

• Ey
    EyesNot2Bscammed Dec 10, 2009

Me again! Just called the Real Reader's Digest, and gave them all the contact info for the scammers. Their fraud dept is working on it, and they have many more resources than us. It is their name that is being smacked by these scam artists! And by the way, just for fun, I just entered the real Reader's Digest Sweepstakes! Good luck!

• Ey
    EyesNot2Bscammed Dec 10, 2009

I wish to thank all of you too! Got the check for $3769.00 this morning, and of course, deposited it. I was told by the man I called NOT to spend the money, and NOT to tell anybody about my win. Hmmmmm Red FLAG! So, I came home and googled "I won the readers digest" and Oh my! All you people came up with your fraud sagas! He is to call me tomorrow, and I will NOT send him a dime! I did call my bank, explained the whole thing, and they assured me that by depositing that check, they can't get my account number or anything personal unless I give it to them. She did tell me to watch my bank account daily for unusual activity. I am prepared to change my account number if necessary. Thanks for all your posts! Eye opening!!

• Th
    Thininja Dec 08, 2009

I notice many people have received a letter from Mark Covila claiming they have won lots of money, but it is all fake. I received a second letter from these people and its quite funny to me by now. The first letter I took it to the bank and they couldnt find anything on the check, but it did look a little funny. The 2nd chk look more real. Numbers at the bottom of the chk like "'[protected]"' |: [protected]|" [protected] [protected], you know how the bottom of a chk looks right? Now the top says Allstate American Heriatage Life Insurance Company 1776 American Heritate Life Dr Jacksonville, FL 32224. Now all of this mkes the chk look real but lets face it. I did not sign up for any sweepstakes that was held on Nov. 26, 2009, but some how they been tring to award me this money for the past 3 months. I know i said this is the 2nd chk but you cant give me money for the past 3months for a drawing held on Nov 26, 2009 (todays date 12/8/2009). If anyone wants to help me track these people down or work together to track them down give me a call at [protected] ask for Will.

SAN DIEGO:) Dec 01, 2009

my mother recv'd a check for $1930.50 to cover taxes on the $155k. i looked up "jpmorgan chase bank na." the address in new york matched then looked up the payer info "who's who publications inc" the address also in new york was correct. the postage was from canada. so i called chase bank and they told me to take to their bank to have verified. the young man in there said the acct# was good but wasn't with "whos who publ." so they took copy of letter and check to inform their customer of this fraud. we never called the canada number (778). i just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to inform all of us "regular joes"... who only wish for a break.

YOU ALL HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON.

BYE FROM SAN DIEGO :)

• Al
    Alice88 Dec 01, 2009

I just recieved a check of $3, 592 last Saturday and it happened to be from Canada (stamp). I did called the # on the letter that said i won $220, 059.00. from Readers Digest. Paul Newman was the one that i spoke to and he told me to deposit the check ASAP. Thank goodness, it was Saturday, so i didn't get the chance to the bank. Like everyone is thinking, it is too good to be true... so i checked out the info in the Rd.com itself confused me! Then i found another website that mentioned about this stupid crap as well... But i wasn't sure which one is truthworthy until i read you all comments! Thz u all so much!!! I'm glad that i didn't fall for it!

Have a blessing day!

• Ca
    Campad Nov 25, 2009

I too received a check from the same fraudulent company and sweepstakes! When I called, with a skeptical mind, I could tell right away it was a scam. When I told the woman I was speaking to, I thought it was a scam, she told me fine, shred the check and hang up. I'm glad I googled the names on the letter and read all of these other postings. Be aware out there, don't allow anyone to scam you out of your money.

• Wo
    Worldjmpr Nov 25, 2009

NOTE: See attached photos for reference!

My fake check was from Allstate, so it didn't even match the accompanying letter from Reader's Digest (those sloppy Canadian con artists!)

The check LOOKS real as all heck (laser-print quality, watermarks, etc.), but as mentioned, the bank numbers are all wrong along the bottom. Also, big companies do NOT use physical stamps- they have machines that stamp their envelopes.

In this economy, I admittedly was THRILLED to see the check. But then logic took over a few minutes later, I Googled this thing and here I am: it's all a fraud. Boooooo!

So, don't even bother depositing it because there are no funds to cover it.

Comments
    Comments

• Sr
    srcolema232819 Nov 19, 2009

I got a check in the mail from Muti- state sweepstakes and they told me to call Jennifer nelson at [protected] so I called her and she told me to call her as soon as i deposit the check so i could go to the insurance people and pay for something, so i go to a bank to open a account and the teller told me it was a fake. Then I looked for the bank online and it didn't have a website I thought all banks have websites. So I called the numbers and they all were disconnected. I hope the government catch them because I really need that money and they tried to get my money. The bank was Partners Bank of Texas

• Ji
    jim in Phoenix Nov 14, 2009

Hi folks
    I thought this was a hoaks from the get go and from the blog you have confirmed it
    Also be aware of any bank that you might have deposited the check. They are legally not responsible for anything and if it bounces THEY WILL COME TO YOU TO COLLECT. I had a bad experiebce with a California bank that took a check from me made on Bank of Ireland with verbal instructions to clear it before transfering to my account. They cleared it, transfered me the mobey, I shipped product then about 2 weeks later the dam bank says the check was no good. I fought saying the problem was theirs but they proceeded legal action against me until I settled paying about half the loss.
    Jim in Phoenix

• He
    HealthierandHappier.info Nov 14, 2009

I got this letter today too. My husband had won about a quarter of a million dollars in a Reader's Digest sweepstakes. My husband doesn't enter anything like this. With the letter came a check for the fees to collect. I instantly thought Why would they not just deduct this amount from his winnings??? I took the check to my banker to look at, he confirmed it was a scam. He told me NEVER deposit anything that looks fishy, "just to see what happens" If my bank offered that advice, I would switch bank immediately!
    I have googled the Reader's Digest scam and found this page, so I guess my instincts were right. Nevcer send money when you have supposedly won money! Never send money to anyone without legal advice. It is worth the lawyer to avoid a scam, even free legal aid can help you determine if something is legit.

• Ba
    BamaFan Nov 13, 2009

Well, I was hoping it was real, but like everyone here, was very skeptical about the "deal" and knew my luck was not that good. I called the number on the form and spoke with a Mr. Murphy who only asked for my name and reference #. The first thing that alarmed me after calling the phone number listed was the letter stated to keep confidential until the claim was confirmed and price (instead of prize) was given to me. I think most companies like to get the publicity when giving out prizes for these large amounts. The signature on the check looked like Richard Nixon. The person I spoke with said this was "real" money and I would not have to order or buy anything. I am also including a picture of the letter and check I received in hopes this helps other people not to be scammed by these #!&holes for trying to do this to honest hard working people which seems to be the norm on this website. I am truly sorry for the people scammed out of their money and hopes all works well with you.

• Le
    lesa cooley Nov 12, 2009

i just got a check today for $2485.00. we took it to the bank and they said to deposit it and see what happens. I just took it home and got online to find this site. lucky me huh.

• Su
    supergrover123 Nov 10, 2009

We got the check too. I admit, it looks good on the surface. But a few things to check out. The address on the top of the letter. If you Google it, it doesn't exist. Below that is a fax number. whitepages.com this and it comes back out of Atlanta, GA. The phone number in the body of the letter came back unpublished out of Mt Vernon and has since been disconnected. The envelope was a plain brown one with the address label you can buy anywhere. The stamp and the postmark were from Canada.

Things to know with scams like this: 1. if they were legitimate, they would come certified mail. 2. Backtrace any address they use and you will find it to a lawyers office if it was real. the check looks real because of the watermarks and that it is drawn on a real bank. This kind of check stock can be bought by online from most office supplies. 3. It says it is a cashiers check. Cashiers checks come imprinted, like money orders. 4. The way they get you: If you call them, they will likely get personal information from you without you even knowing it. If you deposit the check, they now have many pieces of usefull information when the check is returned to them: Your signature, Your bank account number as your bank stamps this on the back of all checks, Your driver's license number as required by most banks, Verification of your address and name.

Bottom line, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Never use your real name on sweepstakes entries, magazine subscriptions or surveys. All information you give out, whether to real source (such as utilities, banks, prefferred savings cards...) or an unknown source usually gets collected and sold to other companies for their mailing list. If you ever received junk mail, this is how they get your name. Bad guys can purchase these lists too. Sorry this happened to all of you. I hope it all works out.