Ralph's and Von's GroceryIrradiated foods

R

I was somewhat shocked to discover as I went into Ralph's a couple of weeks ago that I could not buy any oranges from their produce department that were not irradiated. As you probably know, the PLU Code's 1st digit reveals the category of produce:

4 - Regular

3 - Irradiated

9 - Organic

8 - GMO

Upon looking around I found that had tomatoes, nectarines, and many other kinds of food that were irradiated also. I felt that I should at least have a choice of food that was not zapped with radiation, but there were no oranges that were not irradiated. I talked to a produce worker I found there, and she didn't even have a clue about how the PLU Codes worked, and apparently knew nothing of Irradiated or GMO foods. I talked to checker on the way out, and then the Assistant Manager and none of them had a clue. Almost, equally shocking is that the employees are not educated about the FLU Codes and don't seem to know or be concerned about the quality of the food.

The next week I went to a nearby Von's for produce and upon investigation found much the same story. It seems irradiated foods are on a huge increase in our food supply, and I would bet 99 out of a hundred people don't even know about it, let alone the people in the stores who sell it. It seems these produce products have been slipped into our food supply under the radar, so to speak.

I talk to many people about it and am trying to make people in my immediate circle aware of the problem. I would appreciate it if you would give it some exposure also.

• Vo
    Vonhousemann Sep 07, 2009

You state that this is a "problem" without explaining why? Irradiated fruits are becoming more commonplace as global markets increase. Irradiation is a tool to maintain product freshness and prevent pesticide residues and microbiological contamination. What are the health concerns you have? It's an FDA approved process that doesn't seem to have significant opposition out there...