Quit CampaignDisturbing

D

I find the latest QUIT campaign advert very disturbing and upsetting... How on earth can the producers of this ad make a little boy cry so realistically... Everytime i see this ad I turn away or turn it over... I understand the message behind it.. but i disapprove of the advertisement using a small child in this way... Please have it removed..

• Al
    Alitosca Jul 21, 2009

Agree with complaint. I have never been a smoker & lived healthy lifestyle, but still developed breast cancer in my 50's like 1/9 Aussie women. Last year diagnosed with secondaries after 4 years remission. My doctor is honest that no-one knows the cause of my breast cancer. My life partner & my cat of 14 years died last year from cancer & neither of them smoked. I see no connection between a whingeing kid lost down the shops (as we all have been in childhood) & cigarette related cancer. Would be more sensible to focus on real effects of smoking - chronic illnesses like arterioscelorisis, COAD, emphysema, diabetes, shrinkage of blood vessels, heart disease, stroke, amputation of extremities, claudication etc. WITHOUT the horror pictures which I find distressing, as my cancer is not my fault - most likely genetic.

• Iz
    IzaaksMum Jul 12, 2009

I think making a child cry like this is emotionally disturbing. I understand the message the Quit campain is trying to project but I believe putting a child through the harrowing experience of being apart from his mother/family is both neglectful and abusive. The pain in this child's eyes is heartbreaking.

• Des Sherlock Dec 19, 2008

I am in teh process of organising an event called Quitober 2009 - Quit altogether month
    A health initiative to help employers encourage & assist their employees to quit smoking.

So instead of hitting smokers over the head with a stick it is more about encouragement.
    But having the quit campaign there also is useful to me, sort of like good cop, bad cop.

I have already contacted Quit Victoria & their responce was this:

"research has shown that mass media campaigns reduce youth and adult smoking and the messages that perform most strongly are those that use negative emotion to communicate the serious health consequences of smoking"

But I guess the same could be said about the bowling campaign for aids.

• Ro
    Rob Roberts Nov 11, 2008

From the Quit website

"The Actors"

Annette and Alexander were the actors. They are a real-life mother and son acting team and Alexander has made other commercials.

Both Annette and Alexander were taken through the script, step-by-step before being chosen and again before filming. The Director told Alexander the movements he should make during the filming, that it was make-believe, always taking care that Alexander felt safe and secure.

"Filming"

The Director was very clear that the advertisement would need to be shot in one take and used 5 cameras placed in different angles to obtain the footage needed.

The real emotion Alexander shows occurred when his mother moved out of sight briefly, which was captured by the 5 cameras. While it looks like Alexander was upset for some time, it was really only a matter of seconds.

A child welfare representative was present on the day, and at no point did they express concern that Alexander was being made upset or uncomfortable.

Alexander was safe at all times.

Joan Selwood Nov 08, 2008

My question is, how did they get the boy to cry?

• Ai
    Ainslee Hooper Oct 29, 2008

I agree with the above complaint. I saw this ad for the first time last sunday. I'm a 30 year old woman who has no children. This ad made me burst into tears when I saw it. I have 3 nephews who are around that boys age and it made me question how they got the child to cry so realistically. Going on the behaviour of my nephews, I don't see how they could have got him to cry unless they made him think he really was being deserted. I have had a father die of cancer, and cannot see how this ad is effective in it's aim. I understand it, but believe that it could have been done in a much better way, and not at the expense of this child.