Publisher's Service - Discover Magazineunauthorized credit card charge

I received a telephone solicitation on 10/3/09 from "Publisher's Service" offering 36 months of Discover Magazine for $89. In exchange I was supposed to receive $300 of free gas and a year's subscription to Popular Science maazine. Supposedly I would receive a $25 gift card to a gas company in the mail every month for a year. I gave out my credit card number and then decided I did not want to do it. I told the woman that I did not authorize a charge and explained that I was going to do a little research on the internet into this "offer" before I authorized the charge. I did not give out the card expiration or the 3 digit number on the back of my card. I asked for the name of her company and for a telephone number so that I could call them if I wanted to accept their offer and authorize a charge. She gave me a toll free number, and I hung up. About 3 minutes later she called me back and told me that since it was a Saturday, their customer service dept. was closed and she then gave me a different number to call, which was not a toll free number. About an hour later I called my credit card company to cancel the card just in case they tried to charge my card. They had already attempted to charge my card. The charge was declined because the charge would have put my card over the limit. In summary, this Publisher's Service company attempted to charge my card even though I had specifically told the woman that I was not authorizing a charge for the reason that I wanted to do some research into this offer they were making. I had not given my expiration date, and yet they were attempting the charge.

• Ki
    Kim in S NJ Jul 29, 2010

I received the same call. After giving them my credit card information, I googled and found out within minutes that they were a scam. "Tom" called initially, "Colleen" called about an hour later and I spoke with their supervisor "Henry" when I called back and then "Collen" as well. They are clearly kids. You could hear "Colleen" in the background squealing to "Henry", "That was my call" when he repeated my name. "Henry" called me some name, that is clearly a code word for idiot in the "office". I called AMEX and checked my charges and so far they have not attempted to bill my card. The phone numbers were [protected] and [protected].

• Pa
    PaulaH Sep 20, 2010

I've just received what must be my 100th call from these people! Usually I just hang up, because I don't subscribe to 5 magazines through their service. I don't subscribe to ANY of their magazines as far as I know, because I always pay the publishers directly. Tonight, I lost my cool with the third persom who called. I asked her which magazines I subscribe to. She said that most people know which magazines they read. I asked to speak to a supervisor. No luck. She threatened to send me to collections! This is not the first time I have been threatened. I traced one area code to Montana, but the rest are "Private Caller".I can't get this to stop! Has anyone had any success? I may disconnect my phone!

• Aa
    aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh May 11, 2011

Yeah it sure is a scam. I worked for them for 2months and they left us "last workers with no paycheck for the last 3 weeks of work. We are all running around trying to find this supposed "owner" to pay us out! Now this office has opened a new "company" ( same office location) on 2720 e Thomas road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. The boss will not give us much info on the "owner", so we are all in the dark about our wages. This is ### that we have no idea who or where the company went. When the previous boss is sitting in that office!! They gave us all that [protected] number to call and another one [protected] and it has not changed ###!!! I'm ready to destroy that place!!!

• Co
    Connor82 May 06, 2013

Simple scam, doesn't have anything to do with the company that actually publishes Discover magazine. I got the same song and dance, I told them "great, thanks, I'll look up Discover's number online and submit my credit card info there" and they immediately hung up on me.