Publishers GuideCanceling my order

I have the same darn problem! I've been trying to get my "subscription" cancelled and I can't get in contact with them and the thing is, I DIDN'T EVEN ORDER ANY DARN MAGAZINES!! Supposedly I was a customer since I was 13 years old...I'm 19 now and I have never once got a "magazine" or a call from them. And how could I be a customer since I was 13?! So they accepted a credit card number and social security from an under age child without the consent of her parents! They withdrew money from my bank account AND NOW I HAVE -$161 !! Being a stuggling college kid, now I have to pay that when I could have used that money to pay off my book fees!! If I don't get in contact with any of them soon I am going to sue them!!

Roberta Feb 06, 2009

Publishersguide.com

Letter dated 01. 30. 2009
    Todays date 02. 06. 2009
    Pga 0199457 cancel this agrement confirmation # 130485
    I would like to cancel this agreement. I have read the following statement.

There are limitations on your ability to cancel. You can cancel within 10 days of accepting (This is what i am doing) . You'll still be responsible through that date for the new service and any charges associated with it. Except as explicitly permitted by this agreement, you're agreeing to maintain service with us for your minimum term.

Please respond that this is being cancelled. Otherwise i will report this to the better business bureau.
    Roberta veitenhans
    1736 lousie ave
    Medford or 97501

This is what i got back when i emailed them:
    Thanks for contacting publishers guide. We are currently upgrading our e - mail response system and we are unable to respond at this time. Please contact our customer service department during business hours (Eastern standard time) .

Monday - thursday 9 am - 7 pm
    Friday 9 am - 3 pm

This notice is systematically generated. Please do not attempt to reply or send email because we cannot receive it.

We appreciate your business!

Roberta Feb 06, 2009

I can't get a hold of them in which to cancel this agreement.

• Do
    dont call me Mar 22, 2009

It took me over 30 days to get them to cancel this also. I was trying to get info on them because they were calling our business line. I did eventually win, and they did cancel, but of course, they put a mark on my credit rating. I am in the process, LONG, of getting that removed also, as this company is just a scamming way of getting CC info.

john337 Sep 10, 2009

This company is a group of scam artists and theives. They talked me into opening an account for magazines and then a month later called me to talk about my account opening a second. Since it is past the 10 day period they want over $400 to cancel the one. Do not do business with these people

• Sm
    SMWill Nov 29, 2009

I've been trying to cancel this stupid "subscription" for over two years now. Every time I think I'm getting close, I turn around and have a letter in my box that has said, "I've agreed to a new subscription." They've done this to me three freaking times. In addition to my "original" subscription, they've added three more subscriptions, saying I've "orally or electronically agreed" to the subscription. I'm to the point that I am screening all of my calls and will not answer. And if I make the mistake of answering, I make sure that I never answer affirmatively. But somehow they keep adding and charging my credit card. For anyone who is ever contacted or is thinking about getting a subscription from this company... DO NOT GET THIS. THIS COMPANY WILL TAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN FROM YOU, AND WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL!

• Md
    MDBughhh Dec 04, 2009

How did you guys eventually get this thing cancelled? i just got off the phone with them and it was like playing ring-around the rosie. i never got a strait answer and when i was about to the phone mysteriously cut out. i was also told i had 10 days to cancell but never recieved the phone number to do so...

• Pg
    PGHATER871987 Jan 01, 2010

I foolishly subscribed to this company and now they won't cancel my subscription, their representative told me it would cost 180$ to cancel! Pretty shady for a company that doesn't even operate without a license. I've canceled my credit card, so now they are sending me late fees.

• Ih
    ihatescams1423 May 20, 2010

i have the same problem and its [censor].
    i'm not paying them, answering calls.
    they've called my work many of times n my friends phones trying to get a hold of me. How did they get their numbers? i couldn't tell you. I'm sick of them calling me 6 times a day asking me for money and even calling me at 10 o'clock at night. I am a full time student n have a part time job. I'm busting my [censor] off to live and theres people like them trying to take all my money when i have more important things to pay for than some fake scam artists.

Roman_Bespartochnyy Jul 11, 2010

OH my God! I cannot believe I've fallen victim to these "people" now tey are telling me that in order to cancel I would need to pay off all the money I owe them ($400+). This is outrageous! Aren't there laws that are supposed to protect up, college students, form this find of thing? I say we should do something...not sure what, but I will post back if I think of something. Good Luck to you all, and God Bless.

Roman_Bespartochnyy1 Jul 12, 2010

On Saturday, 7/10 I have received another letter from them telling me that I have accepted another account. It took me three calls, over an hour of my day, and three days of waiting (because I received the letter on Saturday, I could not contact them in any way until Monday) to have the additional account canceled. I have decided to record all of my conversations with them from now on. I advise all who read this to do the same, just in case you want to re-listen to anything they signed you up for.

P.S.

I also suggest being very assertive on the phone with them (polite, but assertive) and tell them what you want instead of them telling you what you want! These people are vultures who only want your money. Do Not let them take advantage of you, instead if you have already accepted an account with them, make sure you have a firm handle on them instead of the other way around until you can cancel your account with the least amount of losses, and let this teach us all to be aware of the kind of people that are out there. And if you are reading this as research on weather to sign up to this or not, my hat goes off to you because you are obviously smarter than I was.

P.P.S.

I would also advise you to have a set amount of material that you receive from them so that it would be easier to manage. For example I have selected 4 magazines, and made sure that they canceled all the "extra" "bonus" "free" stuff they have been sending me. This next bit is an e-mail I sent to them on the day I received the notice of the second account, and even though you will not get through to them via E-mail, it is an example of what I mean by polite/assertive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Publishers Guide,

I have just received a letter from you informing me that my monthly payments have been increased to $34.22 per month. I am not pleased with this because I have not agreed to these changes. I agreed to a "monthly payment of $19.16." Not only this, I noticed that you have added magazines (Wired, Men of Integrity, Mac Life) that I did not agree to receive, you have took away one of the magazines that I did want to receive (Official Xbox), and you did not add one of the magazines which I specifically asked for (Christianity Today). So to make this simple for you, all I want from you is 4 magazines (Game Informer, Official Xbox, Maximum PC, and Christianity Today) at the price I agreed to ("You have selected to have the cost of your plan billed to your credit card in 30 monthly payments of $19.16.") I also DO NOT WANT ANY EXTRA OR BONUS magazines you have to offer. PLEASE!! DO NOT send me any of those. Just the four magazines at the price I agreed to.

I am very displeased with your service and communication.
    Roman Bespartochnyy

I also noticed that people have a hard time finding their phone number. I have been contacting them with this one: [protected]

God be with you all,
    Roman Bespartochnyy

• Ca
    CarlaD Jul 22, 2010

This company is and has done business as Magazine Services of America and Bayshore Marketing LLC. I'm in touch with the Florida Attorney Generals office as they have had many complaints. Call them and get your name on their list [protected]. This number will get you in touch with the Citizen Services Department in the A. G. Office. This is a fraud DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY. Eamil me as I'm working on filing compalints with them as well as the Federal Trade Commision [protected] and I have contacted out local news Station in Madison WIsconsin to help take this public. Shame on these people and the staff that work with them. How do they sleep at night?!

• Ps
    psyclist Jul 23, 2010

I've been trying to cancel this for the longest time, and each time I call the number that the "customer service representative supervisor" gave me when they first called, it's either been disconnected, or it gets picked up and hung up. Then I started getting a call from the "billing" department sayign my account was in default (I blocked all payments, seeing as how I couldn't call them up and cancel). Apparently now, they got a collection agency to send me letters, saying I owe them 1000+ dollars...

• Ll
    llhawkfan08 Aug 13, 2010

I had the same problem! They also talked me into getting an account, but worded it in a way that made it seem like I would pay $36 for the first month, than $14 for every consecutive month. But when I got my bank statements, I saw they were charging me $36 EVERY month and I got a letter in the mail from them saying I agreed to pay 30 monthly payments of $36, which adds up to over $1, 000!!! So I immediately called them and wanted to cancel my subscription, but of course by that time, it had already passed the 10-day cancelation period, so they wanted $150 to cancel it. I was so pissed. Then, not too long ago, they called me to check up on my subscription and said something about it only being $28/month now, so to enjoy my savings. I thought that meant instead of charging me $36/month, they would only charge me $28... wrong. My next bank statement showed BOTH payments being deducted. I have tried NUMEROUS times to call and settle this, but I can't get through to anyone. NEVER do business with these scam artists!!

• Ed
    Edgar F Aug 15, 2010

I agreed to this piece of crap scam like an idiot somewhere between July 26-28. I had no way to contact them because they gave me no call back number and I know I should have asked but I had no idea what this was going to lead to. It's now August 15 and I just received a letter from them saying I can only cancel within 10 days of my acceptance. Is this true? Am i screwed? Any help suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

• He
    HeatherAmi Nov 22, 2010

I just sent in my complaint to the FTC. This is something that should end soon. I wonder if anyone else is also currently going through this? Will you keep you all updated...

• Jv
    Jvjcjfhchc Dec 15, 2010

When you call to cancel mention UCC

• Wi
    william arbogast Dec 23, 2010

discontionue ( maxim ) magazine please or credit bureau will be called. just don't want hardly clothed women.
    william arbogast
    p.o. box or 240 e. main st.
    mt. sterling, ohio 43143

john337 Dec 28, 2010

These people are great at what they do which is basically steal. They call claiming to be customer service and then if they can get you to say yes to a question, you have more money coming out of your account. I have asked several times to be put on their do not call list and I still get calls. When I call in and say something about it i get told to just hang up. That is not the way it works. If they call after being asked not to they are brealing the laws set by the FTC. The FTC laws also state that they have to tell you that it is a sales call.

• La
    laura fife Jan 12, 2011

They will not ancer my calls to cancel ther magazines that I didnt even wont to by.e9cb8

• Ag
    agorpao Feb 25, 2011

I think I'm the newest victim here. They just didn't let me cancel saying that I had missed the "10 days" period of being able to cancel the subscription. Which institution should I trust to seek help for? I know BBB is useless and won't make any good at all.

• Se
    Seneca Mar 23, 2011

To ALL who have been scammed by Publisher's Guide: Do not try to continually engage these people via phone, e-mail or postal service mail. Publisher's Guide is a well-constructed scam operation and should be handled by the chief law official of the land, The Attorney General of your state. My high school aged child was scammed by these criminals and they accessed his bank account and wipeed it out. After we closed his account, they continually called and threatened to "ruin" his credit score if he did not pay them in excess of $4, 000.00. I told them on the phone at one point that if they did not stop harassing our family, I would turn them in to the Attorney General of (our state). Unbelievably, these crooks called back about one month later and the caller identified himself as "the Attorney General of (our state)." "The Attorney General" (imposter on the phone) told my son that he had worked out a special deal with Publisher's Guide and that Publisher's Guide would agree to not turn my son in to the credit bureau if he would make six monthly payments of $400.00. We were able to identify where the phone call came from and the next day, we turned all of our info over to the REAL Attorney General. In short order, our son received a letter from some agent of Publisher's Guide that confirmed his cancellation with no balance remaining. The REAL Attorney General has told our family to notify them immediately if we ever experience any fall-out from this experience and that Federal fraud charges might be in order. In conclusion, scam artists like Publisher's Guide will continue to prey on vulnerable people as long as they can get away with it. Let's all make sure that they are stopped by going straight to the top of our justice system.

• Te
    Terrence Roberts Mar 28, 2011

I think these people are absolutely right however, sometimes we get so caught up in our own lives, we seem to lose all sight of reality and sometimes we don't realize that it's our own fault and that we put ownself in these predictaments. With the economy being the way that it is, we try very hard to stay on a budget, but it is very difficult and sometimes purchase things that we simply cannot afford. For instance, I purchased several different magizines from Jet to Hot Rod and the list goes on and on. And if I could cancel those subscriptions that would be great. It would be even better if I could get a refund. Thanks, Terrence Roberts.

• As
    Ashley08 Apr 16, 2011

I really have no clue as how to go about dealing with these people. I am a full time college student working almost full time on top of that. I have my own place that I rent with my boyfriend. They have said my account has been sent to collections. I used to pay by check, but recently I came into a bind and are unable to afford the payments. They have started calling my boyfriend, he asks who it is and they do not state who they are just that they are looking for me. If you have any info please email me at [protected]@gmail.com

• La
    LawTalkingGuy May 14, 2011

This scam must end and will not end pretty for Publisher's Guide. I was turned over to a collections agency in the amount of $536.48. I called the collections agency (Malcolm S. Gerald and Associates, Inc. of Chicago) and informed them flat out that I will not be paying. They simply said "okay, have a nice day" and hung up the phone. I'm pretty sure that means court actions will be taken.
    I fell victim to this scam as well, but I recorded myself talking to the lady on speaker phone. I asked her to play back my verbal agreement, which was exactly as it sounded when I talked to them--fast talk, numbers flying by so quickly you have no idea what they're even talking about, etc. There was one point in the conversation where the sales person asked "does that sound good?" and I said "yes." I was agreeing that it sounded good to have them send me a pamphlet to decide whether or not I wanted their services. I did not agree to the services. While speaking with Publisher's Guide earlier today, I asked "why did you edit out the part where I said I don't want your services?" and the lady told me "we only keep the verbal authorization." AHA! I hope that's enough to catch these crooked thieves. If this is legal, then justice needs to be done to the legal system. If it is illegal, then Publisher's Guide and others like them need to be destroyed.

• Mr
    mrs. miserable Jun 21, 2011

Publishers Guide is just a huge headache. I wish everyone knew that before getting involved! They won't let me unsubscribe them, saying I had 10 days to do that - which I did but actually just found out I unsubscribed something else, which I had no idea I was subscribed to in the first place. I just want to get out of this scam and hope no one has to go through what do. They gave me a bill which is more than $300.

• Pg
    PGcomplainer21 Jun 29, 2011

Holy Crap!!! I did not know how many people have been scammed by Publisher's Guide. I'm not the only one!!! I don't remember EVER signing up with these imposters!! I've been trying to cancel with these people forever!! And they've said the same b.s. This is so frustrating that they've scammed us. I need to get to the bottom of this situation and contact the FTA. I'm so sick of these magazines coming in my mailbox. I've literally sold all those magazines that have been coming in at Half Price Books. Yeah...

• Al
    ALEX MENDEZ Jul 10, 2011

I DIDN'T ORDER THIS, SO HOW DID YOU GET MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER? PLEASE CANCEL. PGD 0255078

magazines Jul 26, 2011

please cancel my subscription to womens day, redbook, self, allure, getter homes and gardens and Inc. thank you

magazines Jul 26, 2011

Please cancel my subscriptions listed above. thank you

I'm saying the same thing the person above is saying . Please cancel NOW

• He
    hello001 Jul 28, 2011

hello guys...please help me...i didn't know such scams are out there...there collection agency called me and charged $920 dollars for 20 months of subscription...which i have no idea how the law permits them to ask for such huge amount...please help me...i need my money back...

• Go
    Gordon Gates Jul 30, 2011

SCREW THESE [email protected]#$%^& SCAM ARTISTS. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. IM GOING TO TRY AND TALK 2 SOMEONE MONDAY AND GET THEM TO [email protected]#$%^& CANCEL. WHEN YOU GET DISABILITY CHECKS, YOU CAN BARELY AFFORD PRICES ON TODAYS BILLS, CLOTHES, ETC.

• Ba
    bambooman61 Aug 01, 2011

I also got the same treatment as above, I was told my payment would be decreased and ended up with 5 more years of mag. I don't want. So far I have received about 150 mags. and none of them was ordered. This is a scam from the word go. Thay take your money and then seem to go on a year to year basis with the mag. co. I have received renewal letters from the mags. I ordered. Where is the money going I ask? to some bank account to collect interest for them I bet1

• Pi
    Pissed off in New York Aug 16, 2011

Totally disgusted with this so called business. I am trying to cancel my order and they are refusing to do so and claim I owe money and I have not received a single magazine and it was done on 07/21/11 and today is 08/16/11. Spoke to a Kim who is right now trying to bring up a recording stating that I agreed to paying $1200 for magazines and was supposed to get $100 in gift certificates for Walmart and it turns out that you have to spend $100 in the store, send in the receipts for that spent and then they 'should' send a $25.00 gift certificate up to $100 total. This means that not only do they expect me to buy $1200 in magazines but also $400 at Walmart to get $100 gift card. What a scam. I have now been on the phone with these folks for 20 mins. while they bring up the recording. Of course they have a person whom does not clearly speak English explaining the situation. I am contacting Attorney General and Better Business along with my attorney.
    They are insisting I pay the $1200 get no magazines and then they cancel my account or it goes to Collections. This needs to be legally resolved. This company is ripping people off. Pissed off in New York

• Co
    cowboy.frank67 Sep 21, 2011

I too have fallen victim to this scam. I could use all the help I can get for this. I did start a subscription with one company, Quality Readers Service, and am now getting one magazine 3 times. I guess these days you really do have to record all phone calls so that scams like this can be stopped. Does anyone know if it smart to call my bank and block them from taking money from my account?
    All help is welcome!

• Vi
    Victim18 Sep 22, 2011

I am a new victim to this scam! i tried calling them but know one answered and i asked if they would give me a number to cancel incase im not satisfied but when i called the number they said their the financial agency and cant cancel. then i tried the second number and got the same thing. WT[censored] plz someone help me cancel my subscription:(( if any info plz email me at [protected]@yahoo.com

• Xp
    Xpensivebran Oct 07, 2011

Publishers Guide collected money from me for some magazines and all they did was send me a letter with next month bill. Still no product. I've been trying to call them to cancell my contract and for a refund because i didn't get what i paid for.

Thank you.
    Nathanael

• Ih
    Ihatespammers Oct 08, 2011

I have been scammed by this company also. It's completely some BS, Unable to contact anyone at any number that is assoicated with this company. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction as of what to do next please email me @ [protected]@gmail.com

Thank you and *********** to this company.

• Er
    Eric T. Colon1 Oct 26, 2011

They texted my cell phone to inform me that I have won $100 Walmart gift card, when I called the number to claim the prize, they sold me magazine subscription, which I could cancel anytime. I've tried to reach them at [protected], but their told me that they could not do anything for my cancellation.they want to charge me 574.80 for something that i never got. They told me that they are going to send me to a collector agency.I told them that i am going to claim a report with the Better Business Bureau for fraud.Please i need help with this. Thanks. Eric

• Lu
    Luis G Lenero Nov 17, 2011

They offered to receive a magazine for free paying only the Shipping of $ 4.95 and they have been sending a bunch of magazines and charged an amount to my debit card that I had not available for that kind of absurd expense. I have not been able to reach them to make the cancellation in many attempts of doing it, what do they do to be outlaw without a punishment for those actions?...