Publish America / false advertising

1 United States

I have published five books with them and in the past, received 5 complimentary copies. A sixth manuscript was recently accepted but that contract offered NO copies, despite the fact that on their website, under AGENTS in AUTHOR INFORMATION, it STILL clearly states, "AUTHORS ARE GIVEN COMPLIMENTARY COPIES, FREE OF CHARGE." I recently TRIED to communicate with PA to find someone with whom I could negotiate this contract, considering the fact that my almost-1, 000 sold copies have made PA a considerable amount of money (and me very little). I received NO response to that request other than to be told that my title was to receive no free copies, no reason given, no response to why I couldn 't "talk" to someone with the authority to amend that contract. I am through with PA. They are a scam of the first magnitude. The only reason to deal with them is to have your ego stroked by seeing your name on a book. P.S. Despite my communications with them, the statement about complimentary copies is still on their website.

Comments

• Ca

Publish America - Breach of Contract/Fraud
    Publish America LLC
    Frederick
    Maryland

Well, the results are in. I just received my 3rd consecutive 6 month selling period of selling ZERO books! This after I sold 123 books in the first 6 and threatened legal action if they did not pay. I received a check for $170. I know, I'm one of, if not THE, only one to have received any type of payment. I thank everyone who has contacted the attorney who is formulating the lawsuit against these people. If you aren't aware, or haven't contacted him yet, please get onboard. His name is Jan (pro. Yon) Berlage. He is located in Baltimore. I am local and will be meeting with him in the near future. His contact number is 410-752-1261. Please do not balk at this. It's not about the money, but stopping this horrible company from luring more prospective talent into their trap. We've all been taken by them and it's time to fight back.

• 0 Votes

@CaptMark Is there a email address; I live in Louisiana?

Publish America - Falsifying Documentation
    PublishAmerica
    P. O. Box 151
    Frederick
    Phone: (301) 695-1707
    www.publishamerica.com

In my own opinion and after my own experiences and reading some of the experiences of fellow writer's, I am providing this information. Many of you may not be aware what options you have in contending with Publish America and their erroneous disregard for Federal Law. In most instances, many of you may believe that your case against them is merely a civil matter to be, settled in a lawsuit. However, you should know that if have receipts from any book sells and yet, PublishAmerica sent you a statement clearly showing no sales, this is a Federal offense. Falsifying documentation is a criminal offence. However, many of us live in states other than Maryland. Any crime that crosses state borders automatically falls under federal jurisdiction. Some matter is a civil matter and should be, handled in a lawsuit. However, if you have received a royalty statement from them that is contrary to the receipts you have, available; this is a crime. In addition, you can file a complaint with Internal Revenue Service because obviously, if they are refusing to pay you, they also refusing to pay taxes from the sales of your book. If you feel they have violated your legal rights, you can press charges against them using the following address. Please be sure to include your evidence of wrongdoing at the time of filing you complaint.

Mr. Eric Holder, U. S. Attorney General
    U.S. Department of Justice
    950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20530-0001

Most people file their complaints with the better business bureau. However, if they have failed to pay you as indicated by their website, the BBB of Maryland will accept the complaint but only if they with held money owed you such as, payment for services rendered. Remember, they cannot help you unless it is in regards to a company owing you for services.

The Council of Better Business Bureaus
    4200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 800
    Arlington, VA 22203-1838

If they have clearly stated that you have had no sells and yet, you have solid evidence of sales such as receipts from family members, you may file a complaint with the IRS to make them aware of the situation. Obviously, if they are refusing to pay you what you are entitled to, then they are also impeding the IRS from getting taxes owed. The IRS uses Form 911 for filing complaints that should be, addressed to the Inspector General. You can find the form using the following website.

Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration
    Hotline
    P.O. Box 589
    Ben Franklin Station
    Washington, DC 20044-0589

The information here is can be used for any publishing company that makes false claims regarding royalties owed you. In my opinion, as writers, we are all we have in this business. If your, legal rights were violated by this, company or any other, company you do have steps you can take to seek justice and I highly recommend you do so.
    Some of you may feel that what I have presented here suggests I am at risk for a liable lawsuit. However, I have already submitted my evidence to the Department of Justice to be used against this particular company in the hope that future writers will have better protection against anyone that would take advantage of us. I do love Freedom of Speech.

• Bl

Please read my article regarding Publish America and other publishing companies engaging in illegal activities. You will find the information to pursue legal charges against them provided you have the proper evidence to do so. I have also published this information here on, compaintsboard.com Take my advice, read the information and make use out of it. Together, we can take these companies down to protect ourselves and writers of the future.

• Bl

If they provided you with a statement clearly showing you had no sells although, you have receipts showing to the contrary, this is a violation of Federal Law. Falsifying Documents and Federal Utterance are the pending charges. Please read my article regarding pressing charges on the company for violation of federal laws.

W. K. Hayes

• Bl

Also, file charges against Publish America with the FBI. IC3 is the internet arm of the FBI for filing charges against Publish America. Please, if you have solid eveidence of Publish America's illegal activities, by all means, press charges on them.

W. K. Hayes

• Ca

Please contact Jan (pro. Yon) Berlage, 410-752-1261. He may be available on Saturdays as well. The lawsuit is picking up steam and we need participants. The more we have, the less it will cost each of us. Just think of it as an investment. It WILL pay off and we will put these people out of business.

Publish America - Thieves
    Virginia

I published a book six years ago with Publish America. During those years I have received only pennies in royalties. I know people who have ordered my book and Publish America always says I have 0 sales. When I asked them to release my book from contract they had the nerve to aske me for $299 to defray their loss if they discontinue publishing. I will tell every writer I know to stay away from them. Thankfully my contract is over next year and if they don't stop publishing and selling my book I will sue them.

LBR

I published two books with publish america, and so far I have been asked to buy my own books many times. To get my book on Oprah, I had to spend around $65 buying books so they would send her a copy. I don't even know If they actually sent any to the studio's. Publish america says they will do this and they will do that, but they never send proof that the deed was done. In my opinion, they are the only one's making money off of authors books by offering them something if they buy an x amount of their own books.
    They may not even be sending your book anywhere. It just sits in their online book store. I will gladly be a part of any law suit Publish America. What they do is so wrong. I've spent more than I have made.

• 0 Votes

I to was scammed by these folks as well. I was just released from my contract after I sent a couple of emails telling them I was doing a net wide search of exactly how many books sold and if I found more than the one book in a year they told me about I was going to file criminal charges. I also told them I was talking to other authors they scammed about bringing a class action against the company. It worked! I got my release in the mail a few days later.. Don't back down folks you can do it too! And for new authors run away from this company... Run away fast! You can self publish and do more cheaper than this outfit will do for you.

• 0 Votes

I have, myself, continued mailing publish america on trying to get back my books, "The Fallout, " "The Earthen Guardians, " and, "United Justice Society" from their contract. They say that my words are misconceptions, well I find that hard to believe. For example, "United Justice Society." After I signed the contract, I did more research--my fault for not doing this earlier--and found all that people had to say about Publish America, then started doing research on how to REALLY publish a book; which is done by a Literary Agent, almost rarely would you ever deal with a Publisher straight up. Well, since United Justice Society is an unfinished publication, I figured that they wouldn't mind releasing it--since they cannot do anything with it anyways. To my displeasure, though, they said that they can still sell it at their own discretion (This is not quoted from mail). I did not give them the questionaire pertaining to my address, name, zip, state or anything, not even the discription of the cover of the book. I did not give them the synopsis or the Author Bio of the book. Yet they still insist on wanting to keep, and sell, the book. I feel that is illegal, extremely illegal. They have not mailed me back on that book to say that they finished printing the book, nor have they asked for the questionaire, title, synopsis, final manuscript (which I have not provided them), or any of the above things that is necessary to publishing with them.

For the moment, I am leaving them be, but also keeping a look out for anything resembling my book, "United Justice Society, " should they attempt to sell it. I was going to patent the book by mailing it to myself so it had a date on it, but since my mail has the record of the ebook being forwarded to them, I currently hold the right of ownership for the book.

Any legal advice pertaining to Publish America and my said books would be appreciated. . .email me at my fanmail--not saying that any of you are my fans, but I won't give out my main email address. . .sorry--at, "fanbaseconnection@gmail.com". I have already decided to have someone buy my book and will keep the receipt for myself, then I shall wait for the next date I should recieve royalty and act from there on.

My thanks to all of you, and maybe, just maybe, Publish America will be brought to its knees one of these days.

Publish America - Deception/lack of follow through
    Publish America
    Maryland

Whoopie I'm "published". Once I tell anyone that I'm with Publish America, (P.A.) I'm pretty much given a look of pity then told what I already know.

I'm an unknown, book stores don't like or deal with P. A. They are not credible for quality, pricing or respectable in dealing with authors. I haven't gotten a royalties check for years. Are they selling my book and keeping the money? A number of people say they see my book in the area but no $$$ for me.

What P.A. is good at is stroking the ego of the gullible. My email overflows with "Special Offers" for a limted time only. My book is available in hard cover, leather etc. And If I buy a few dozen they will send some to Random house. For a little more of my $$$ and a minmum purchase they can get my book in the grocery stores in my area. All promotional ideas involve ME giving them money from my wallet!

Book signings? Never I always deal with a different big talker with no results. No Free Press copies, no promotions of support. When I asked for help and some simple polite questions I was send a copy of the contract with comments of attorney etc. I have at least 24 different email address's for different people in the same deptments. What this tells me is that honest people go to work for P.A. then realize what they are involved in and have the ethics to quit.

• 0 Votes

Can any of these complainers spell or write properly..really, it's all PA's fault huh! Well I have a book being printed by them and have not been able to collect any money, but a dollar according to the contact signed... to me it's not as bad and I do have a few suggestions for them, in how the relationship is progressing, but business is tough and I expect my approach will be somewhat different in any respect, than most! I look for good to happen and it does! Andrew George Brentara.

• Publish America - shot down before I got off the fround
    publish america

After going through all the publishers out there, I, like most authors listened to publish america. It was all hype. They play the fanfare, and congratulations, the welcomes, and you sign a contract. THEN we find out that the print dept. does not like the way it is laid out and wants to change the whole style, of course there are no page numbers allowed either, and the best part is theywish the entire book written within 14 days?
    I have thrown all my manuscripts away and deleted all the genre from my computer base. Only publish america has the only e-mailed copy... wonder what they will do with this? I've tried to opt out of their contract, but they remain adamant, and refuse! What's a puppy to do?

• 0 Votes

I too fell pray to the wolf in sheeps clothing, (PA). Was so excited at first then relized it was nothng but a farce. They don't care about promotng your book to make money. They care about taking your money, and since you were gullible enough at the onset, they figure you will just keep sending them money for actions they may or may not do concernng your book. How do these people get away with what they do? I feel sorry for all the authors out there that had high hopes of their book being on the shelves only to get rippied off by yet another scam. Yes I call it a scam because they have shown no evidence of doing what their written contract said they would do. "You have done your work, now let us do ours!" Blah! I am flooded with e-mails daily with their create the urgency deals. Count me in on the class action law suit!

• 0 Votes

I too am with Publish America, I have two childrens books published, and two more being printed. I sent in four for acceptance and received a e-mail telling me they can't accept any more as the first two have not been selling well, but they would except one if I bought 49 of my books. No they don't charge for publishing, but all authors are asked for money for their promo deals . I bet they make a lot more money from the authors than sales from books.

• 0 Votes

I recognized that Publish America was a fraud after the first month. I'm a frustrated writer who has a problem finding someone, hell, anyone to read my manuscripts, just like most Publish America authors. They know that so they advertise on the web for authors who want to publish with a traditional publisher. That might be the biggest lie ever printed, but we all think that if just a few people read our little gems, we'll be on our way to fame and fortune. We even know that it's probably a long shot, but I don't think anyone would expect what we get from Publish America. It's a disgrace. I don't think they have ever tried to sell a copy of my book except to me. Since I knew right away that it was a scam I never bought a single book. Therefore there was never a single book sold. That in it's self should be proof of fraud.

Tom,
    Please contact the attorney!

please all you authors and ex authors with Publish America,
    e-mail me----- new scoop-----promo fraud with Edinburgh's
    International Book Festival in Scotland. or go to my new website-----for copies from the Fest director, I really think PA is in deep you know what this time. http://paulaspublishamericainformationsite.weebly.com/

• We

I understand. I was taken for several hundred books and no royalties. They are impossible to contact through the web or by phone (for a simple change in my email address). They overcharge and price your books right out of the market, yet expect you to promote them at these ridiculously high prices. The price of my trade paper is higher than any trade I have seen on the market. People have sued PA and won. Try that avenue.

Publish America - scam publisher
    Publish America
    Suffern
    New York

Publish America are lieing scam artists. They tell you they will sell your book, they dont, you have to. They say it weont cost you anything, it does, $200.00. They tell you they have an authors service line, they do, BUT its an answering machine thats says someone will call you back in 24 hours, THEY DONT! I have been waint a call back for two months.
    They say they will send out press releases, and set up webpages with you, THEY DONT! All I have gottern is nasty emails calling me a whiner. Nice company? After you sign the contract you can kiss any help, sales, service or anything else the promised you previously goodbye! They are a scam and if you goole them you will see the hUNDREDS of compaints and ther BBB has over 150 in 3 years. Stay away from this ### company and the employees that tell you nothing but lies.