Publish America / false advertising

1 United States

I have published five books with them and in the past, received 5 complimentary copies. A sixth manuscript was recently accepted but that contract offered NO copies, despite the fact that on their website, under AGENTS in AUTHOR INFORMATION, it STILL clearly states, "AUTHORS ARE GIVEN COMPLIMENTARY COPIES, FREE OF CHARGE." I recently TRIED to communicate with PA to find someone with whom I could negotiate this contract, considering the fact that my almost-1, 000 sold copies have made PA a considerable amount of money (and me very little). I received NO response to that request other than to be told that my title was to receive no free copies, no reason given, no response to why I couldn 't "talk" to someone with the authority to amend that contract. I am through with PA. They are a scam of the first magnitude. The only reason to deal with them is to have your ego stroked by seeing your name on a book. P.S. Despite my communications with them, the statement about complimentary copies is still on their website.

Comments

• Jc

I was told I would have the opportunity to make corrections.

NO FEE was ever mentioned when signing the contract.

I was told by Nicky that "normally" they do not even offer to make changes so I asked where they came up with a $99.00 fee. No response.

They have failed to make my book marketable as per the contract.

• Jc

PLEASE MARYLAND - STOP this Company from preying on sincere writers hopes !!!

A note to anyone from PublishAmerica (to be referred to as PA) who may see this post from a concerned family member:

(1) EDITING: Author found mistakes in the book when reviewing BEFORE going to print BUT it was going to cost $99.00 to make the changes even though she had them all corrected with no further work other than click and paste on their end.

She chose not to pay this outrageous amount for less than 10 minutes of work figuring these mistakes would reflect MORE on the publisher for allowing it to be printed this way. At least the writer can feel confident for doing her job of proof reading -

Note to PA - This is what EDITING is all about.

(2) COVER DESIGN – Author received cover design – A photo of Mountains and trees? You have to be kidding!!!
    This is a book to attract a younger audience as was explained UP FRONT in the bio!!! It is a FAIRY TALE !!

So much for anyone reading the book – If you did you would have been able to design a cover that FITS the writing!! Children REACT first to illustrations and YOU should know that!!

When she tried to give suggestions to improve the cover to attract children, Patrick in COVER DESIGNS sent an email – YEP you guessed it …. ANY SUGGESTIONS will cost $99.00!!

PublishAmerica has left her out of any decisions on the book as to EDITING and COVER DESIGN UNLESS she pays $99.00 per department!

NO WHERE in her contract does it state these charges.

INTERESTING FACT: These money amounts have only been requested THROUGH emails!!
    In fact we have emails from PA staff saying that they "NORMALLY" do not even offer to make changes.

Our question to PublishAmerica:

HOW IS IT OK FOR YOU TO ALTER a SIGNED AGREEMENT?

Complaint to Maryland has been made.

SHAME on ALL of you!!!

For any author seeking to self-publish, try CreateSpace. It's an Amazon company. I have recently used them to publish my comedic novel, "RICHARD - My Life as a Penis" (shameless plug), and had a very good experience. For $39 annually, I updated to a premium program, which, in reality, only gave me a better royalty and a better price on my own book. I did the cover work through their program (free) and prepared my own PDF file, from which the book is printed. They supply a secure web-page (an e-store), that I link to my website to sell direct, but I also listed the book at Amazon.com for no additional cost. With the upgrade and three separate proofs that I had to order, my book was published for less than $100.

I have sold a couple dozen copies so far. When I start to market it more, I'm sure that will increase. But, I've also gotten a couple of inquiries about publication and film rights.

I looked at other programs, but this is the one that allowed me to get a professional-looking product out to the public at the lowest cost. Good luck!

• +1 Votes

same thing happened to me! I submitted a cover art work design with signed waiver and they told me it would cost $99.00 to change the cover. The design they had was horrible. I asked someone to contact me for payment and they ignored my numerous emails that followed that one. They sent the book to print as is and did not as much as try to contact me for payment for the cover I wanted. They just ignored my requests and did as they wished. Today is 11-12-2017.

• 0 Votes

I also submitted my own cover in their requested format and size, and their salesman told me it was free. Yes, they also told me that it would cost me $99.00 dollars to have my cover. I told them I was willing to pay the money because they had made a horrible joke of a cover. I'm still fighting with them and they won't get back to me or even try to resolve this. It seems they aren't out to make any money at all, but just to see how many people they can hurt and destroy their hard work and dreams.

Please, everyone with a beef with PublishAmerica get in tough with the Better Business Buerau. Let's not let these people do this to anyone else. I wish someone would have warned me.

Publish America - Publish America
    Baltimore
    Maryland
    publishamerica.com

Publish America is the biggest scam in the publishing industry. This Publish on demand (POD) c0mpany has been misleading authors for years. They claim to be traditional publishers which is a total lie. This compnay has made bundles of money off new gullible authors by publishing their books and selling back the books at discounted rates to the authors. They do no conduct any promotions or distributions, unless the authors pay for it by purchasing more and more of their books. Their representatives are addressed by first name only or anonymously as Publish America support. It takes miracle or a month for them to get back to you with the simplest question. Most book stores will not stock Publish America books, because they equate PA to any other self-publishing houses or worse. It also takes over two months to receive a book after you order it from Publish America.
    Their royalty statements are vague and inaccurate. They can basically do wahtever they want. This is an unethical and itegrity free company. You are better off being unplished than being stuck with this alleged publisher. Review the innumerable complaints against this company on the internet. It is truly a publishing mill that publishes anything sent. They actually have an electronic editor that will keep your book filled with mistakes. You better hire an editor before you approve your final transcript assuming that you will decide to go with this scandalous company. Their representatives are taught to defend their scams, and they pretend to have pride and ethics. Publish America is truly the biggest scam in publishing history. It's so big that many other scam artists have started their own POD publishing houses.
    Beware!!! Research this publisher before you submit your transcript.

• Kj

Publish America - treatment of author
    Publish America

I first published my EGG NANNY TALES with Publish America in March 2017. I was satisfied.

Then I sent them my second book, STORIES TO AMUSE THE KIDS in March of 2017. There has been nothing but trouble since. They refused to send me the final editing copy. They insisted that they had sent it. I never got it. Finally I bought a few copies. Along with them came in separate packaging, the author's copy on April 27; more than a year after I signed up with them.

The book looked good, except that THERE WAS A TABLE OF CONTENTS; BUT NO PAGE NUMBERS. We went back and forth about that. They denied any responsibility; but did eventually send me an opportunity to PAY them to fix any errors. I did not take them up on that offer.

The company required that I send information for advertising--I did. Nothing ever came of this.

STORIES is an illustrated children's book of 54 pages; folded over and held together with one staple. PA offers it for $26. I said that was way too much. They pooh-poohed me, saying THEY were the professionals, and knew what is best. My book royalties on this book was nothing. Nobody bought it. Except me.

In June I ordered 30 copies of STORIES on sale. It is supposed to take 3-6 weeks for delivery. Today is Aug 2, just past that deadline. I asked them about it and they said they were working on sending me 4 books; and the 5th would come later. I said I had ordered and paid for 30. They said that colored illustrated children's books did not apply. I reread the sale. Too bad I hadn't used a microscope the first time. That disclaimer was there; but very hard to read. So I am out $120 for 5 books--if I ever get them!

I am retired and on a limited income. I cannot afford these games.

What I want is complete rights of both of my books, so I can try them with an honest company.

• Kr

Publish America - false advertisement
    Maryland
    publishamerica.com

Publish America makes many false claims trying to lure its authors into continually buying their own books. The throw around the names of celebrities, saying various celebrities will receive copies of your book or that they will endorse it. They contiunually raise the price of their books and threaten you that the cost will continue to go up unless you buy more and more copies under various scams they run. Its ridiculous and then, even if you do buy the books and follow their orders, they still continue with their practices. The books are outrageously overpriced from the get go and then they continue to raise the price. The book my husband and I wrote about his schizophrenic son went from 16.95 to 24.95 in a matter of months. I wasted my time and money buying copies of the book and giving it away. I did this becvause it was a serious subject matter and I wanted to spread the word that our laws needed to be changed regarding the mentally ill. The book was called, Slipping Into Madness, The Seth Winder Story. It had also been profiled on The First 48 last years and was a high profile murder case in our area. Our goal was to try to help others, not make a profit, but it seems to us that Publish America is nothing but a crock. We believe they try to take advantage of people. I think their practices are false and immoral and unethical. They should be illegal. I'm sure that the Maryland Attorney General's office must have received numerous complaints about them. I'd like to add my own complaint to that list.

• 0 Votes

I too am an author published with Publish America. I was sooo happy when I started the process. I thought my dream was coming true and it's become a nightmare! There has to be some kind of class action suit we can take! I mean I get daily emails that if I buy X amount of my own books it can be endorsed here and there, lowered in price(which I did buy and they still haven't lowered the price), and I can't do book signings because Borders and other book chains can't sell a book that high for my genre. I mean I was told I could be rep. at the Frankfurt Book Fair and yet the US has only 2 companies listed to be there and neither of them are PA or affiliates of PA. Then it was be endorsed by John Grisham, Nora Roberts, and Arnold Swartzaneger. I've done my homework and both publishing agents for Grisham and Roberts have both said it was news to them. And I doubt the Govenor of California has time to endorse books, let alone a Maryland based company.

• 0 Votes

I sure wish I had done my homework and read this site and so many more. I was recently published by PA and am finding all these horror stories are true. If PA would sell our books at a competitive price and make some kind of attempt at honestly marketing our books instead of scamming new hopeful authors by selling them their own work perhaps they could salvage their horrible reputation, but there is a sucker born every minute and, it's obvious, they rely on it. Perhaps it is time for a class action suit before this scam cheats more new writers out of their hopes and dreams. Perhaps if some attorney out there would read all these complaints and would take the case asking damages of $1, 000, 000.00 with that amount paid to that attorney and all contracts of dissatisfied authors be null and void.
    I'd jump on board, as I'm sure most of you would. The attorney would have a great payday and we would be punishing PA for their scamming us. Anybody out there have a good attorney? You will find my book in "Children"
    soft cover in the PA "scam" book store and I hope some attorney will take this case. He or she will win.

• 0 Votes

@al pelletier I totally agree, I also published with them, and they did nothing to promote my books. I haven't heard from them in years, and they have never sent me any kind of royalty statements. I've tried calling them and even emailing the address from their website, but no one has gotten back to me yet. I have also found that they are going under a new name AMERICA STAR BOOKS. I have been trying to find a way to get in touch with someone that could help me, but I don't know where, or whom to go to. I also believe that they are a BIG SCAM. I saw that my book was "OUT OF PRINT" but they are still on Amazon site. I have also had other random publishers called me and said that they wanted to publish my book. I knew from then that something wasn't right. I do not believe that they could do that. I still have the contract; which states that I do have the rights to my books. I would like to pull my books from PA and do the publishing on my own, I feel that I would do a better job than they have done. I agree with you, I hope that an attorney would take "OUR" PA authors case. We deserve to have our money back and the copyrights to our books back . Someone, anyone, please help !

Publish America - copyright infringment
    publish america
    Phone: 301-695-1707

I had my book with publish america for a few months never recieved a copy never even got to the point that I would be able to sell on they made a mess out of it. I finally got out of my contract in Jan 2017. and went on create space and made my own way. today on amazon i was looking at my book and noticesd a line that read papeback jan 07 2017 when I clicked on it a copy of the book that publish america had came up it said out of stock. I have never recieved any money from sales. They aren't even supose to have it listed by there company anymore. Amazon gave me the run around and the kid at publish america said good luck when I said i would get an attorney. I WANT IT OFF AMAZON THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS TO MY BOOK. They are a scam never trust what they said or tell you they are going to do. Check it out on amazon A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HOMICIDE BY MICHELLE MOREE

• Mc

I agree - this company makes everything sound so exciting, then they rip you off right left and centre with extortionate shipping costs and the fact that you have to buy so many of your own books, you might as well have paid them up front in the first instance. No they are not a traditional Publishing Firm, they are con artists.

• 0 Votes

Aggravate the hell out of them like I did...after just emailing all employee's one at a time and telling them God would get them, they canceled all of my 14 contracts...Free

And if anyone wants to start a class action lawsuit against them for theft, please contact me at sandyrains@msn.com

• Li

Publish America - Book publishing
    Publish America

Publish Americal took my already published book and changed only the ups code to republish. They put it on the website with NO category. No one could buy it unless they knew the authors name. This is a scam. To buy your own books is expensive then they charge $3.99 to mail each book. I bought 10 of my own books for full price with an added charge of $4o.00 for shipping. I have not recieved any money for the book in 2 years with the company. I am sorry I fell for this Vanity Press. Linda

• Ca

I, too, am a victim of their lies. They published my book in March of 2017. After sending me an email stating they had sold ZERO books, after my first six months, I complained. It was only then that I received a check from them for $170. I have not seen a check since. We need to compile a list of us that are experiencing this rip-off, pool our monies together, and take legal action. Please feel free to contact me captmark435@atlanticbb.net

• 0 Votes

@CaptMark I'm not sure how long this message had been posted, but I too was screwed by PA and I will be consulting with my lawyer today. I still have my contract, and I clearly states that I will always have the rights to my books. someone needs to do something about this company and I don't care how long it takes, but I will do something. I know that they also go by a new name AMERICA STAR BOOKS. PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEW NAME IF THEY DO NOT KNOW. WE CAN BOMBARD THEIR SITE WITH ALL OUR COMPLAINTS.

• 0 Votes

@CaptMark After all of these years since 2000, they had told me the same thing; that my books didn't generate any money. I have been trying to get in touch with them for awhile, but all the email addresses, phone numbers and any other form of contact is unavailable. Recently i tried going to their new site. Which they switched from PA to AMERICA STAR BOOKS. They have lied to everyone, they have taken advantage of everyone of their authors that trusted in them. I'm not sure what we can do about it, but I will talk to my lawyer today; we have to do something.

• Ak

Hello, can you tell me how you went about getting your book published? the right way? i am looking and have not found what is trustworthy yet, your review has helped me, thank you so much!

• De

Publish America - False advertising and worst experience
    Publish America

I was told I would have the opportunity to make corrections. No fee was ever mentioned when signing the contract. My contract does not state that I would need to pay any fees to correct editing mistakes or to revise the cover design.

I was told by Nicky that “Normally” they do not even offer to make changes so I asked where they came up with a $99.00 fee. No response.

Also, I was not allowed to communicate my concerns as to the design of my cover unless I paid $99.00 per department. I feel they have breached the contract due to the fact that I was expected to pay the fees or no changes would be made.

They have failed to make my book marketable as per the contract.

• 0 Votes

@Delaly They did nothing to market my books either. I have not gotten any statement, which they stated I would receive one every six months, I have not received a statement in years. They never let me decide what cover I wanted for my book, they decided on their own to put a certain cover on. When I published the first book, they did let me make changes, now at this moment; maybe they had their own reasons and that was part of the scam.