Progressive MoversDeceitful Business Practices

If you plan to hire a mover, do not hire this company. They will not disclose to you any of their extra fees until after they have loaded your items to their truck. Even when you asked prior to the move, they will never mention it. They will lure you in with their low rate of $70/hr for 3 men. Then they will charge you ridiculous fees for boxes and wrapping and whatever they can think of. And if you don't pay the overestimated amount, they will hold your furniture hostage.

• Fr
    Fraud Movers Nov 22, 2009

I found that Progressive Movers had a pretty reasonable deal considering that we were not even moving a block away. When I called, I spoke with Monica who ensured me that the price for the service was $210 for 3 hours and any additional hours would be $70 more. When I asked would there be a fee for packing, I was told that there would be no additional cost associated with the move.I confirmed again that there would be NO ADDITIONAL COSTS!Moving day comes and everything is going smoothly. I signed contracts that say exactly what I agreed to, $210/3 hrs and $70 after the first 3 hours. When asked would there be additional costs, once again I was told NO ADDITIONAL FEES! So we were required to make payment once we got to the next residence. One of the movers presented us with a bill that was handwritten on scrap paper with a pen that read $1146! When asked to see the bill I noticed that they charged me for every roll of tape they used, every blanket they used to wrap up our furniture, every box, every crate, they charged us for every individual item they used to wrap our furniture. I thought this was ridiculous and I called the manager, the manager then told me that they do not know where I got the quote of 210 dollars from but I have to pay the 1146 in full. I was thinking I could reason with Vincent (the manager) so I could get set up on a payment plan. He quickly shot down the idea and said that I need to pay up. He even threatened to take my furniture away from me since it was still on the truck, and place it in storage. It was almost like they were holding my furniture for ransom. When I told the movers that were on duty that the money was on its way, he told me that he could not take my furniture off the truck until he got the rest of the payment. So they took off three of my items off the truck because I gave them half of the cash I had. While they were waiting for the rest of the money they were sitting around talking, cursing and smoking while on duty

• Ga
    gail$ Aug 16, 2010

THESE GUYS ARE FRAUDULENT AND SHOULD BE SUED AND PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. WE NEED TO LET THE LOCAL NEWS ABOUT THIS. JUST HAPPENED TO US TODAY. THEY DID THE SAME THING TO US- CHARGED US 2000 FOR A LOCAL MOVE, AND DIDN'T EVEN MOVE HALF OF THE THINGS. THEY FORCED US TO PAY OR THEY WOULDN'T TAKE OUT THINGS OFF THE TRUCK. I WISH I SAW THESE POSTS BEFORE. I CALLED THE COPS BUT THEY CAN'T HELP UNLESS ANYTHING WAS STOLEN. HALF OUR STUFF IS IN THE LOBBY OF AN APARTMENT AND HALF IS STILL IN OUR HOUSE. DON'T USE THESE GUYS!

• Te
    tempUser123 Sep 01, 2010

PM INC SHOULD DEFINITELY BE SUED AND PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. I AGREE WITH THE POSTING ABOVE. I HAD THEM MOVE MY FURNITURE A FEW DAYS AGO AND EVEN THOUGH THEY QUOTED ME AT 70 DOLLARS PER HOUR, THEY WOUND UP CHARGING ME 1100 DOLLARS FOR A LOCAL MOVE THAT'S ONLY AN HOUR AWAY. THAT'S EVEN AFTER I NEGOTIATED DOWN THE "LONG WALKS" CHARGES - THEY ARE COMPLETE [censor] AND SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY'RE STILL OPERATING CONSIDERING THE AMOUNT OF COMPLAINTS WE SEE ONLINE. I WISH I HAD SEEN THESE POSTINGS BEFORE...

ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAD BEEN USED BY THESE GUYS BEFORE? KEEP THE POSTS COMING!!! I'M REPORTING THESE GUYS TO THE BBB AND THE LOCAL POLICE.

• Te
    tempUser123 Sep 01, 2010

PLEASE NOTE WHEN THEY QUOTE YOU, THEY QUOTE UNDER PM INC. I THOUGHT I HAD SEARCHED TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO BAD REVIEWS AND THEN I JUST REALIZED I COULDN'T FIND ANY BAD REVIEWS BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH THEY QUOTE UNDER PM INC, THE NAME THAT SHOWS UP ON ALL THEIR PAPERWORK AND ON MY CREDIT CARD BILL WAS PROGRESSIVE MOVERS. BEWARE!!! STAY ABSOLUTELY AWAY.

• Mj
    mj1986 Sep 07, 2010

I totally agree. The SAME exact thing happened to me. I was completely duped by their $210 estimate. My furniture was "held ransom" and I was charged an exorbitant $1000 bill. One charge was for a $175 "crate" that my TV was moved in. The "crate" was in fact a cardboard box wrapped up with duct tape. Absolutely ridiculous. I am not a vengeful person but frankly I karma comes back and bites these people in the [censor].

Oh, and some icing on the cake: they busted a hole in our wall at our house. I'm still working on getting them to cover the expenses for that.

• Kr
    kriszkom Sep 09, 2010

I can't agree more with the above. They ripped me off. Quoted $210 and charged me close to 3K! I only moved a block away. They took the door off and left it like that and left my sofa in the hall way. I really wanna do something about this. Please help.

Mario N Sep 20, 2010

Same thing happened to me as well 2 days ago. A quote of 210 turned into 1426 and I moved half of my stuff myself. To consider I moved only 1.4 miles and that they had to move 1 dining table, 1 bed/bedding, 1 drawer chest, a couch and about 20 small book boxes. And the worst thing being everything I needed to sleep on was on the truck when the driver was extorting money from me. He acted as if he cared but I think I know better. Sam gave us the estimate and we specifically asked for all teh charges and even got a written estimate after he came to our apartment. Day of the move we could only Greg who claimed Sam should have told about all the fees and ofcourse hung up on me when I insisted that it was the company not a individual that gave the quote. The driver was adamant that he wouldnt get my stuff down unless paid in full. PLease beware of this company. Do not even try to call them. no use

• Nl
    nl75 Nov 03, 2010

The same exact thing happened to me. I was quoted a price of $70/hr for a total of 3 to 4 hours that it would take to move my belongings to my new apartment 2 blocks away. While signing their papers, I refused to sign the paper that would hold me accountable for paying for extra packing materials. Since they refused to move my things without that signature, I decided to cancel the move with them. Sent them all home with no money in their pockets, and then hired two workers referred by a family member to move all my belongings for $250.00. BEWARE of this company and just cancel the move with them if they try to charge you their exorbitant rates.

• Ni
    Nick Folk Nov 09, 2010

contact the Attorney General of NJ

They've been in trouble before:

3.23 Respondents shall not: (a) hire, retain and/or utilize ABC Packing, Inc., to perform accessorial or other Mover’s Services; nor (b) hire, retain and/or utilize Eugene Piskun or any other unlicensed company to perform any accessorial, Mover’s Services; and/or Storage Services on its behalf

• Pm
    pmifraud Dec 06, 2010

I just had the same experience yesterday. They charged me $1050 ADDITIONAL for stairs and "long carry" which was never mentioned in any estimate I received. They had me sign a contract on the day of the move where they included a clause with the additional fees that I was never made aware of. They held my property hostage until I paid in cash as they did with everyone else. I've just reported them to the Consumer Protection Agency (no response yet), but not to the BBB. Has anyone had any luck pursuing this legally?

• Ni
    Nick Folk Dec 09, 2010

YES! Through the NJ Attorney General's Office!!!

Contact them NOW!

• Na
    NarinA Dec 23, 2010

Agree, 100%. I have a complaint in w/the consumer division of NJ State Attorney General's office. These folks have entered into consent order for binding arbitration. Per the letter from the division, the div has referred the complaint to the movers; they have up to 60 days to work out settlement but of course, sofar, no one from Progressive Movers has contacted me even though I sent them pictures, letters etc. I am also working w/a lawyer named Melissa Gencarelli, Melissa Gencarelli <[email protected]>who is suggesting to file a class action suit against the company. Apparently, she herself has been defrauded by this company too. Please contact her @[protected] or email [email protected], As I understand it, Class action suit does not cost you anything and attorney gets paid from the share of the settlement.

• Ka
    kasey14 Feb 04, 2011

just had the same thing happen to me today!!! pmi movers should se sued and put out of business. i do not know how these people live with themselves. i was quoted $350. $70/hr for 5 hrs for 3 men. they took numerous smoke and cell phone brakes. i kept wondering why they were using so much freakin tape. i even said that they didnt need to tape the boxes with that much tape. once we got to the destination they sat in the truck working out the "paperwork" for 20 min. and came with the scrap paper hand written bill for $1, 740. the 3 crates they had not even asked me to use were just cardboard that was wrapped around 2 tv's and another item and they charged me almost $600 for that. FOR 3 PIECES OF CARDBOARD!!! along with all the other bogus charges. i called a lawyer to find out my options and he needed to se the contract. it ends up not being practical to sue them, cuz once all the time and legal actions are final it ends up costing more than their outrageous price, so they will always win. after 2 hours of pleading and emptying my bank acct. they settled for$800. it was all i had to my name. i had no friends or family in the area and was forced to hire a company becuz of that and $350 seemed reasonable. i work hard for my money and im the mother of a one year old and have another on the way and i hope what they do to others comes back to them 3 fold!! they have really put me in a bad financial situation now and this was the last thing i needed. how come this company is able to stay in business? im suprised no one has ever physically attacked them after the [censored] they pull!!!

• Do
    dollface100 Mar 22, 2011

One guy came to see our furniture and he didnt even give me his name. He looked muscular so that was a plus. He estimated our furniture to 210 because we only had a refrigerator, 2 twin beds, and drawers. He told alright we will see you tomorrow. I made the appointment with them for 10am. In the morning i waited two hours til they showed up!!! i called them a million times and they never answered! Once the boys got here they didnt introduce themselves. They werent presentable either. One boy had a red bull and he litered it in the front. They looked so weak and they looked like they had just woke up. how can yu trust people who look unpresentable? So one guy looked over the furniture and said "there are things that need to be packed" mind you we taped down everything and had our own moving blanket. After he said that I said forget it. I got me a u-haul truck and spent one 95 dollars for my move. DO NOT TRUST THESE GUYS!!!

Matt Showemen Mar 22, 2011

Just used them last week.. Got an estimate for $425 came out to be $485.. So i guess there estimate are not on point but its was still better then what the other companies offered me.. So i am actually happy. The Guys were the best..

• Ka
    Katie 1 Mar 22, 2011

Accurately described estimate. The secretaries at the office explained that if I do my own packing the movers will do all the heavy lifting for me and it wont take any more then what the estimated cost would be. I did all the packing and padding of my furniture. I did end up asking them if they could sell me a few boxes on the day of the move since I ran out of them. The move was estimated to cost $680.00 for a 3 bed room house with basement. It ended up costing $800.00 I gladly gave the workers $350.00 tip. I have read the complaints on this website. And believe that if you listened to the special instructions that the person at the office ( Greg ) gave and if you read the estimate + quote that you received there would not be any issues. They even stayed to assemble everything, My Husbands Mother is being moved by them next week we were so pleased with them.

Malee Apr 06, 2011

Deceitful PMI movers--------seems like my story!! been scammed just last week!!! Wish I had read the reviews :(

Through Rent .com, we received a solicitation over the phone from a company called PROGRESSIVE MOVERS, INC. located in Paterson NJ. They offered me a rate of $70.00/hour, with 3 men, to move the contents of a 1 bedroom apartment. It sounded fair, I was given an estimate of 3-4 hours, their crew was very experienced and so on. This was told to me by a man called SAM who sent me e-mail with moving confirmation. We confirmed a move starting between 2-3pm on 30th March.
    A week before our move on 30th March a person called Ralph came to get a walk through and sign some papers For Insurance. We showed this person all our stuff and repeatedly asked him if there are any hidden costs or charges to let us know after seeing the stuff. He said everything was inclusive we do not have to worry….just pack everything. He did not mention that everything needs to be in boxes….so we had packed some of our stuff in bags which they refused to carry on the moving day and we had to carry in our car.
    On the day of the move, in the morning at about 10am a person from the PMI office calls us saying that the movers are below our building to pick up our stuff as the workers are not available in the afternoon. We had already booked our elevator in our building and the new building for the period as per our scheduled move so we could not change at the last moment (we even called our management to ask if it was possible to change the schedule) hwne we wanted to stick to our earlier plan they grudgingly agreed.
    At 2.30 pm 3 men, ( a foremen called Phil + 2 others) came to our apartment, asked us to sign some basic procedural pages, because of insurance regulations etc.
    These guys were taking forever to load some very basic stuff on the truck, frequently taking smoking breaks, walking leisurely etc .They were taking quite some time to come back whenever they went to the truck to load our stuff, which we later realized was that they were packing our furniture with tapes and ‘crates’ without our knowledge! They just put blankets on the sofa and the dining table in front of us which we assumed was inclusive. Well, as it was already running late, I figured this would cost me about a couple of hours more, but to my surprise, when we got finally to the destination, this foremen Phil gave us a bill on a scrap paper in the amount of $3, 350! 90% of the contents of the house had been previously packed by me and my husband. They said if we didn't pay this amount they would not take my belongings from the truck…and take it to some storage. To my astonishment, they charged me exorbitant amounts for the tapes, crates, rent pads, , bubble wrap, shrink plastic, which they never asked, not explained that I "had to pay for", but goes to the extreme of charging $315 for a "long walk"! Ours was an elevator building with the pickup garage inside the building and even the drop garage is inside the building. This person Phil argued with us for a long time and then said that if we pay $300 they will only give our bed to sleep on. The rest would be taken to storage until I paid the balance. I could not afford it. I was being held hostage and my personal belongings, held for ransom. I have a small baby, they gave his crib and our mattress, not even the bed after we paid the $300. After a lot of discussion they finally charged us $2000 after speaking to their ‘Manager’. Their Bill charged us 9hrs of moving + 2hrs of drive, when in reality they moved our stuff for 5hrs at our previous apartment drove for 45mins and then dumped all our belongings in front of the elevator and left us stranded after taking our money – whole of $2000. Me and my husband with my 1 year old baby moved all our furniture and belongings from the groundfloor to our 7th floor apartment for 4-5hrs till midnight ! We were in such a desperate situation inspite of paying!!.They are criminals against whom in such situations a consumer has no defense or protection. Holding our belongings to ransom in their truck, they should be sued and convicted. If anyone can help me please e-mail me.

• Us
    User918 May 20, 2011

EXACTLY SAME THING HAPPENED WITH ME. They quoted me $280 for the move and i ended up paying $2300. PLEASE PLEASE please stay away from these people. They are a big big RIP OFF!!! Very dishonest service and they even stole one of my Bose speakers!!! When they unloaded the items, they immediately took off without putting the stuff in its proper place.

Almost similar things as my friend said above. They should be fined for unacceptable business practices. One word of advice, please do not sign the papers they ask you to sign before the move with out reading every little bit of it. I made a mistake and they used it against me. Please stay away from them.

• Je
    Jeff Apelian Jul 06, 2011

These guys are the ### of the earth as I has a very similar experience as everyone above - sems to be a common busness practise of theirs

• Ke
    keya Nov 02, 2011

this moving company need to be shut down they told me over the phone 210$ for 3hrs anything after 70$ hr after they finish packing my stuff up we get to the next apartment he said the total was 1.034$ which i had kno clue which my boyfriend was there and he was not trying to here that they did not get that much money out of us they did not set our things up all these hidden fees they dont tell u over the phone about such as 150$ per flight of stairs charge for boxes which they told me i get 5 free boxes and the manager GREG IS THE WORSE he is no better then the workers the guys all looked like convicts and once i unpacked my stuff a couple of items were stolen ### hope they rott in hell!!

Sam1404 Dec 08, 2011

Similar thing happened with me. They are now operating at the same address with the name m.o.v.e.r.s inc. They quoted $210 and asked me to pay $1673 - ridiculous fees like $600 for packing material