Professional Recovery Consultantssuspicious/harrassing phone calls

E Review updated:

Yesterday morning, 9/23/09, I received a phone call from a lady who identified herself as a representative of a company with initials for a name. Then she called me by name and asked me to verity the last four digits of my social security number and my date of birth. I refused to verify anything and asked the nature of her call. She had, she said, important personal information for me that she could not share until she verified that I was the person she was looking for. That could only be done by verifying my social security number and my birth date. I told her I wasn’t interested in the information she had. Again she insisted that her call and the information she had was important. I hung up.

Call return enabled me to get the originating number of the call — [protected]. A quick internet search revealed that no such number is registered to any legitimate business.

I called the 800 number and a man answered. He identified his company as professional debt recovery consultants located in durham, nc. Then he called me by name, thought I had not identified myself. He began the same speel about the very important information for me regarding a debt in my name that had been turned over to them for collection. I informed him that I am aware of every penny I owe and to whom, and there is no such debt. He replied that he had my social security number, my birth date, and my address, all of which had been turned in with the collection information. I told him that there was no such complaint or debt and that he was never to call my number again under any circumstances. With my consistent refusal to fall for his scam, he finally hung up the phone.

This morning, I found a robot call from this same company on my answering machine, left there sometime during the wee hours of the morning.

In the meantime, I have checked all my credit records. Nothing is amiss. I called the finance department of the only medical facility that I have dealt with. Everything is paid in full and nothing has been turned over for collection.

I am reporting this incident to as many internet sites as possible and am registering a complaint with the nc attorney general’s office. I also plan to contact the better business bureau and register a complaint as well.

Margaret
Conover, nc

• Mt
    Mtime Sep 25, 2009

Margaret,

With all due respect, Professional Recovery Consultants, Inc. is not a scam. We are a legitimate debt collection company that has been in business since 1979 and help institutions such as hospitals, physician offices, cities and municipalites, utility companies, banks and other business collect money that is rightly owed to them.

While I understand your frustration, it is the very laws that are meant to protect the consumer that are the ones that make you feel we are secretive or a scam. We can not reveal the nature of the debt owed until we are certain that we have the responsible party on the phone. The FDCPA is a federal law that regulates (and complicates) how we are able to communicate with you or any debtor. For more help on FDCPA and any questions related to debt collection and what agencies are or are not allowed to do, visit www.askdoctordebt.com.

You aren't doing yourself any favors by completely ignoring our attempts to communicate with you or complaining on internet messages boards. Communicate with us and help us determine if you are the person we are looking for. If so, we will tell you all you need to know. If you are not, we can remove your number from our database and attempt to do research to find the correct responsible party.

You can send a cease and desist letter to us and we will stop communications with you. However, if you do owe this debt, and choose to ignore our attempts to discuss it with you, it will not stop any future attempts by the original creditor or other collection agencies that the creditor may choose to do business with. Wouldn't it be nice to clear it up now if it isn't you? It is best to take care of this now and either pay the debt, tell us you will not pay the debt or confirm with us that you are not the person we are looking for.

I invite you to call the above referenced phone number in your message, which is a completely legitimate phone number, and ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. Tell them your frustrations and let them help you. If you do not get satisfactory results from that, email me directly at [email protected] and I will investigate personally.

I would enc0urage you to refrain from internet postings such as these or fraudulent complaints to regulatory bodies that insinuates that we have broken the law or are a scam when we are not. We will protect our interests at all times.

Geoff Miller
    President

• Ca
    Casper Ghost Jul 11, 2019

@Mtime SCAM SCAM PEANUT BUTTER AND JAM, Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves, stop trying to scam people and get a job, a real job

• Ci
    Cindola Feb 10, 2011

I AGREE THAT THIS COMPANY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A HARRASSING BUNCH OF CRAP! I HAVE CALLED A NUMBER OF TIMES TO SETTLE MY DEBT, THEY WON'T WORK WITH ME. THEY JUST KEEP SENDING SOMEONE OUT TO SERVE ME FOR A LITTLE $200 DEBT. YES THATS WORTH WASTING THE COURTS TIME.

• Mt
    Mtime Sep 19, 2011

Cindola

We do not "send anyone out to serve" for any balances as we do not have one single Client where we perform this function. Even if they did, we wouldn't do it for a $200 debt. Please refrain from slandering our name. You may be confusing us with another company with a similar name. I would be happy to personally look into your account, if you even have one at our office, if you want to send me your information. Call [protected].

Geoff Miller

• Da
    DAX0001 Jul 23, 2014

I believe every person has worth as an individual.
    I believe every person should be treated with dignity and respect.
    I will make it my responsibility to help Consumers find ways to pay their debts.
    I will be professional and ethical.
    I will commit to honoring this Pledge

I have read your mission
    statement it is not true I have a letter stating my next payment is due 8/20/2014 which I was planning to pay early, called because you put a person on the letter as my wife. I am not married so when I tried to talk to the rep she just
    tried to defend that. At that point I told her of the date on the letter. She then started trying to intimidate me and tell me if I did not make a payment in July the agreement would be canceled. I offered to fax the letter she did not
    care just kept trying to extort me for money in July. The sad fax it I was going to pay in July I just wanted to get the other person’s name off the account. You have the rudest inconsiderate personnel I
    have ever talked to. She did not even offer or think there may have been mistake she just kept saying pay in July or
    we will cancel the agreement, and you can fax me the letter but you still have
    to pay in July or we will cancel the agreement.

If this was for more money and I had the time I would take this to court, I clearly have the only letter I have received show a due date of 8.20.2014 it does not stat any late payment
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here is the first line of the letter “This is to inform you we have received your payment of $100. Your next payment of $100 is due in our office no later than 8/20/2014.”

I will be filling a compliant with the BBB and the states antonyms office, this may be to no avail but I want
    it to be know you have Un-ethical business practices.

• Si
    signalfire Jul 23, 2014

These companies buy the debt at pennies on the dollar AFTER the debt has been discharged as non-recoverable. The reason your interest rates on credit cards are so high is because they are based on nothing - the money was conjured up out of nothing by the Federal Reserve and the other banks, and you are charged interest on it as if someone, somewhere, actually had to work for it. The interest rates are also so high because the loan is collateral-free. There is nothing backing it except your 'credit rating', or willingness to work your entire life to make bankers rich. Notice some day the biggest, most swanky buildings in town; they're invariably the banks or the churches which don't have to pay taxes.

The banks are criminals as has been so completely proven over the last few years; they buy our politicians and subject us to harassment after 'selling' us forcefully on taking on debt. How many 'offers' have you received in the mail over your lifetime, encouraging you to go into debt? It's almost impossible to avoid them... Ef' them all! and especially these vultures that try to collect these debts after they have been discharged by the bank. Why don't you people try working doing something valuable to society, instead of harassing people who can't pay their medical bills (because they're SICK!) or who were the victims of the banker's frauds which crashed the economy?

• We
    Western NC Dec 20, 2014

I get a letter Dated via the company that was delivered via my mail person on the 20th of Dec., and the company is only 150 miles from me, telling this is my final notice ( only you mean) upon getting the letter I have already reached the 30 days to reply. Of which I owe nothing this bill was paid 2 years ago via Medicaid So sick of being over and double charged. This company needs to get fact straight the the companies they are representing for debt collection, I am not paying any of this again, nor will the state. What POS company.

• Be
    Benito Rey Feb 16, 2016

I also got a call from them, when I called back they said they need some data from me to then proceed with a business proposal. I refused to give any data. My replied was "tell me the business proposal first", they refused it, so I hanged up. Yes they are crap. Beny

• Mj
    MJ16 Jul 14, 2016

Ok so I received a letter from PRC stating I owe a court clerk, fees from over 5 years ago. I find it very strange that if this was true, that the court couldn't find me. I've been living in the same location for 4 years. I have not once ever received a letter or a phone call from the court house informing me that I owed this money.And that a County Court would hire a company in a different state. All of a sudden I not only owe this money, but I have owed it long enough that a recovery business needed to be called AND I can pay half of the "bill". Upon further research I found that no such company is registered with the BBB and the web page for PRC states they are a child care facility. Same address and same phone number... While speaking with the woman she couldn't answer my questions in detail. She just repeated what is written on the letter. I feel so bad for the elderly people that this company convinces they owed money and they pay it fearing they will be in trouble. When in reality IT'S A LIE!!!

• Ab
    Abbenormal Oct 25, 2016

Got message from this company and called back immediately. On hold now for over 15 minutes. If they really want to collect money, they would be more responsive. I have worked in AR/Collections, so I know how this goes. I do not owe anyone anything.

• Te
    Terry0777 Aug 30, 2017

[protected] beware professional recovery Consultants has changed their number to try and scam more people. They called me and introduced who they were then said they needed to verify my identity. The lady asked me to verify the last 4 of my social security number and I told her I'm not going to verify that information. The lady then got an attitude said okay then and hung up. I've worked in collections for decades and this is not proper procedure. No one has to verify anything but their name hence the reason why they can also contact a third party that knows you and harass them as well. I don't care if the president Geoff Miller is saying that this is not a scam when everything about it appears to be one. Usually if you have debt attempts will be made by Mail because it's cheaper. And if she really wanted to collect a debt she would have explained why she needed me to confirm the information instead of hanging up within seconds. Never did she State the call may be recorded for quality insurance purposes if this is a real call Geoff Miller then maybe you should listen to the recordings of your agents and realize they're making you lose money cuz they're bunch of little [censor].

• Ca
    Casper Ghost Jul 11, 2019

Everyone knows it's a scam, they been trying to call me, that's how I got here, but I owe no debts, so SCAM SCAM PEANUT BUTTER AND JAM lol