Resolved Professional FitnessUnauthorized billing

P

If you are thinking of getting a personal trainer be careful if you select Professional Fitness Trainers. They will have you sign a contract. Once the contract expires, if you don't cancel the contract their way you'll be automatically renewed.

My contract with Professional Fitness Trainers expired in December of 2008. The manager in the Peak Fitness Downtown Raleigh location informed me that it was about to expire and asked me if I wanted to renew. I emphatically told him that I could not afford to renew. I told him that when things were better for me financially I would revisit the possibility of renewal then. I was never billed in the month of December. Then today I went on my on-line bank account and realized that they had debited my account for a month of personal training. I called the Personal Fitness Trainers office at the Peak Fitness location in Downtown Raleigh. They gave me the number for the corporate office. I called the corporate office on Six Forks Road in Raleigh. They told me that I did not cancel the contract in the “right way". They explained to me that I needed to send them a certified letter telling them I wanted to cancel or else my contract would automatically renew. I told them I wanted to cancel the contract and get my $240 back. They told me that they would not refund my money but that I could have training sessions instead.

I find this to be an unethical, dishonest way of trying to retain customers.

I've contacted the Better Business Bureau, Monica Laliberty with 5 On Your Side of WRAL and Attorney General Roy Coopers office.

The trainer was good, it's just to bad he works for such a dishonest company.

• Nc
    NCAdmin Mar 17, 2009

I had a very similar experience and keep getting the run around from the corporate office. In fact, just yesterday the person at the corporate office told me that the president's email was available on their web site and that I could email him directly. Guess what, I went to the web site and the only thing available is a standard "contact us" form. Any word from 5 on your side of the Attorney General?

• Di
    Disgruntled Apr 07, 2009

In Fayetteville NC: Professional Fitness had trainers at my gym, but the gym stopped using Pro Fitness and switched to another company. I, and many others, filled out the proper paperwork to transfer to the new personal trainers. We are now being billed by both companies. Professional Fitness is not a trustworthy company and will not receive any money from me.

• Di
    Disgruntled Apr 07, 2009

Check out this company's 'F' rating on BBB:
    Report your issues! This company needs to fix itself.

• Br
    Bruce May 11, 2009

I am one of Professional Fitness customers and I feel like I have been duped. Their field representative presented me with a contract that I specifically asked to have end after six months. He assured me that there would be no automatic renewal because he wrote at the top "five payments of $96.21 for 20 sessions" and that would be the completion of the contract. Since that time this company has "extorted" an addition $400 from me, hiding behind the small print of the contract and a thirty day notification period. Does it really take thirty days to cancel a contract? It only took four days for you to send a letter to ask for more money that you had no ethical or moral claim to. Their businesses practices should be reviewed if they are truly are a company concerned with customer service as they state on their web-site. Perhaps the Better Business Bureau will be able to provide that oversight.

Jamie Jun 15, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me in Niagara Falls, New York. There is nothing professional about this company.

• Pp
    pppppppppppp Jul 09, 2009

If anyone has a problem with the company "Professional Fitness", you can reach Regional Vice-President, [name removed], on his personal cell phone. The number is [removed]

He looks forward to hearing from you.

• Tr
    Tracie Byers Aug 20, 2009

I am still being charged by this company and am pretty sure I jumped through all the hoops that was required to cancel my contract. Very sad way to conduct business. And getting someone to respond to me has been pathetic.
    Tracie Byers
    Statesville NC

• Li
    LisainNY Sep 19, 2009

I have spent countless hours on the phone with professional fitness. I went to the attorney general of NC and on my 2nd round with them. This is ridiculous. I have sent 2 certified letters and still they are billing me for service that I am not getting. Im just afraid its going to ruin my credit. I live in Niagara Falls, NY by the way. Short of contacting an attorney, I am about at my wit's end.

• Ka
    karmafullforce Oct 05, 2009

Everyone on this post is correct. They rip you off and they are liars!

• Ar
    Arkangel Oct 26, 2009

The same thing is going on in Connecticut now. I think our Attorney General is filing a class action suit against them but no official word. I hate this company with a passion and they should just take away their right to conduct business in any state.

• Se
    seashell1 Oct 26, 2009

I wish I would have seen this article and read these comments before I signed my contract with professional fitness!!! It is amazing how a company can take advantage of people. I want to know why their name is Professional Fitness because there is absolutely NOTHING professional about them!!! I signed the contract for personal training because I was getting married in July. The contract was only for 3 months and I directly asked if the contract would expire in 3 months and I was told yes! They drafted my account for 3 months after the expiration date on the contract and one time caused the account to overdraft! I called them and told them I needed to cancel my account and they told me I had to send a letter. The girl was very rude and told me that they would get there money out of me no matter what! I mailed a letter and faxed a letter asking for confirmation that my contract would be cancelled. I never have recieved a response so I went to the bank and cancelled my debit card and got a new one. They are still hasseling me and charging me $140 every month which I refuse to pay because I haven't recieved personal training since July and was supposed to have a cancelled contract in July. I am a newly wed and they are trying to drain every penny we have and it has gone too far.

Jon1235 Oct 27, 2009

I canceled my contract by letter exactly how they said in the contract. I am still being billed. I'm calling my lawyer today. Go to your banks and have them put a stop payment on the company!

• Li
    LisaCFR Nov 03, 2009

Anyone get an resolution to this yet? I am going throught the same thing now.

• Ct
    CT_consumer Nov 05, 2009

We have a very similar experience in others in Connecticut. Professional Fitness have been ordered from Work Out World gyms however they are retaining monies we paid in advance and refusing to refund it. I took this to the Better Business Bureau however Professional Fitness are unwilling to provide the contact details for their lawyers. However the BBB advised that it is possible to take this up with the North Carolina Department of Justice, who have a department detailing with people who have been conned. The website is as follows:

Good luck to all fighting the [email protected] at Professional Fitness. Karma will catch up with this ### one day.

• Ro
    rogue1290 Nov 23, 2009

Let me give you the number of the Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky regional manager. 513-846-8036. His name is John Mayberry. He is a real tool also but good luck anyways. you reap what you sow right

• In
    Incrediblehulk Dec 14, 2009

Sounds like people do not read the contracts that they sign. People seem to think that the gym, or the trainer, or anyone else but themselves is responsible for. I have worked for a lot of these companies, and I have seen both the good, and the bad. Professional fitness is't a great company to be sure, and they are even worse to work for. However, I would encourage people to READ the CONTRACT frontand back. This is how they are able to get you. They pump you up, get you all excited, them hit you with a package, and the sales guy is under a crazy amount of pressure to sign you in order to keep his job, so he will tell you just about anything. Ifyou readthe contract, you can protect yourself, and know exactly what you are getting into.

• Un
    unhappy in boston area Jan 03, 2010

i used to work for professional fitness as a trainer. we were fortunate to have a talented group working there, but that was just luck, the company holds no standards and gives no guidance. they only pay their trainers between $6-$8 a half hour session. when i started i was told i was being payed $16 but never told that was for training 2 people. so in order to make a small pay check you have to train at least 70 people a week...to many to give your clients personalized attention. the company also did not have a phone we could use to schedule these clients. after complaining about my pay i was given a raise, which was never actually given to me. i battled it for months and had to call the same corporate number as the customers do and never could get a hold of anyone. i actually was hung up on, called back within a minute and told everyone was on lunch...right. as a result of this method of trying to get the correct pay i was told to just make sales, that's how i would make more money. i gave it a try and never once recieved commision, there was always an excuse. eventually they accused all the trainers of fraud and took $200 dollars out of my paycheck without telling me. the company has no computer system, no communication, and no system period that's consistent throughout the company. i quit on the spot. I would NEVER work or train with this compnay. they all lie and treat there employees with little respect and lie to them too.

• Cr
    CrestonMartin Jan 07, 2010

This is a super horrible company. I just filed a complaint with the BBB. I cancelled my membership in May 2008. I had to send in a check for 10% of the contact price (it ended up being $123.90). They cashed the check but kept on charging my card. Luckily, I noticed the first fraudulent charge and had my card marked lost/stolen and a new credit card sent out. I contacted them and they said it was their mistake and that they would no longer be charging me. Months later I got a call from a company called Paramount Acceptance, who is apparently their collection agency. Paramount Acceptance has worked very hard to get my situation fixed but it was to no avail. I have called their toll free number dozens of times and have only spoken to an operator five or so times. Each time I speak to the operator she transfers me to a number that just rings and rings or to some guy named Anthony's voicemail. Anthony nor anyone else has ever returned my call. I have noticed that they have an "F" designation by the Better Business Bureau.

I have found the following numbers for this company

919-827-4663
    919-827-4664
    1-800-856-1229
    The above three numbers appear to all be linked to the same customer service line.

I have found the manager of the Cincinatti area, John Mayberry at 513-846-8036. Try giving him a call if you want. The squeaky wheel gets the oil after all.

I have also found their fax number 1-866-829-0568. Their customer service director's name is Kyle Roy but I have not been able to get a number for him yet.

• Th
    the_allens07 Feb 23, 2010

I am owed $600 from those liars. I was charged by both Professional fitness and the new company that my husband and I signed a contract with. Now pro. fit is all tied up in a lawsuit and over a year later I havn't gotten my money back. I am so mad i don't even feel like owrking out. Call that crazy.

• Tr
    trainerohio Jun 03, 2010

Hey everyone. I have another insight to add to this. I've been both a customer and an employee of professional fitness in Ohio although I wised up and got away from them. As far as being a customer of pro-fit I have seen dozens of people with the same billing problems that you all have had. It's far too common. It happens with almost everyone it seems like. My contract just ended and I've sent in my certified letter so I shouldn't be billed for june...but I have a hunch I will be. I agree with the person that says to simply go to your bank and have them stop payment. I don't know if that works or not, but hopefully your bank will go to bat for you.

Now while I was still a client for pro-fit I also became a personal trainer for them. I worked for them for literally 2 months. In that time our club went through 4 bosses. Continuity means nothing to this company. The members of our club became angry at the lack of consistent leadership at the club, and the trainers of course were extremely discouraged at this as well. This is one reason I decided to go be a trainer for another company.

The biggest issue I had with pro-fit as an employee was one of my paychecks was accidently sent to the wrong club. Okay, it was an honest mistake I think. But getting the payroll department to correct the mistake has been nothing but hassle after hassle. I had to go from may 1 to june 1 without a paycheck by no fault of my own. I'm still trying to get that check. I had to threaten to get an attorney to even have them think twice about me.

As far as John Maberry goes, yes I know him personally, he was in and out of our club in Ohio as our regional GM. That is his correct cell phone number. I urge you to call him, blow up his phone and complain to him although I know he won't do anything about it. He'll try and smooth talk you by offering you free sessions and crap like that. It's what he does. He's a salesman. Rumor is he was in prison for 20 years. He's also a bodybuilder so he has a meathead, tough guy mentality. I never liked him. Luckily he wasn't in our club terribly often.

Long story short the club I worked for is no longer using pro-fit because of the complaints of members regarding them and the actually lost members over it. I don't like this company, I can't believe it's still in business.

christined123 Jun 16, 2010

Basically do not sign up with them. They have horrible and rude customer service and I will let everyone at my gym know that they are not worth signing up with

• Al
    Alyson Parker Jul 28, 2010

yes, this is totally unethical and disgusting way to do business! i smelled it from the start and you know you did too. moving forward, i'm going to the bank in the morning, calling the BBB tomorrow and possibly changing my Credit Card. I'll also make some calls to the numbers listed above and of course to professional fitness. How sad. The guy I signed up with said it was easy to cancel. I was in transition when I signed up, have since moved the requisite number of miles to cancel, paid the 100$ cancellation fee that I couldn't find anywhere on the contract I signed just to get away from it all and lo and behold still they're deducting from my account this month! Alyson Parker, Western Massachusetts

nothappyeither Oct 06, 2010

Havent been there for 1.5 years now. They have refused to cancel my membership stating "autorenewal" every year. I closed a cerdit card account to stop payment to them, but to no avail as they now harass by daily phone calls for monthly membership fee now totalling $1380.00. No one answers the phone, or mail apparently.

• Bu
    BurnedByProFitness Nov 03, 2010

I am currently in the process of trying to cancel my Pro Fitness contract as well.

As with everyone else, the services I was promised were never delivered to by my the Pro Fitness staff. They said I would get meal planning, nutritional anaysis and regular progress check ups as part of my training but I never received any of these things. When I expressed concerns about the expense, I was told I could easily cancel at any time. While the trainer I had was great, the rest of the staff left little to be desired and when my trainer left the company I decided to cancel my contract.

I sent a certified letter to Pro Fitnes, per their instructions, telling htem I wished to cancel my contract. I received a letter back saying I owed them $167 in cacellation fees. I called immediatly and left a voice mail saying that I would like to talk about these fees as they were not comminicated to me when I signed the contract. I received a call back and a voice mail and when I returned the call there was no answer. I continued to call them for 3 months and not once did they answer the phone. After the third month I initiated a charge back for the three months they billed me and that got their attention.

They told me if I paid the $327 I charged back they would cancel my account and waive the cancellation fee's. I agreed and asked for this in writing and when the letter arrived it said I now owed $503. I just got off the phone and they are now saying that tried to bill me again after I got off the phone with them on 10/28 (the date the letter was sent) and they have no record of a promise to waive a cacellation fee.

I am currently awaiting a call back.

What a joke of a company. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

• Wa
    waitsolong Jan 03, 2011

The same exact thing happened to me. I was misled by the person I signed the contract with about the auto renewal and the corporate office refused to refund any of the money I did not want to spend. I'm so extremely upset with them, I'm about to go the way of others and cancel this card because the next payment date is less than 30 days away from now. What kind of company needs 30 days to stop a credit card payment?

• Da
    dave1992 Feb 04, 2012

This is about the worst business and customer service I have ever dealt with. I just returned from Afghanistan and while I was gone my wife was living back home with her family ang got a membership. Upon my return she moved back with me across the country, we have been trying to stop charges from this company since November with no luck. We have sent 3 letters now and countless phone calls all to be told we are lying and they never received anything. Finally this week they acknowledged they received my recent certified mail and that it will be canceled after another payment and a cancellation charge. In order to do so they sent an nondescript letter asking for me to return mail it with a money order for credit card authorization and more signatures to follow-up the cancellation. It is just one scam after another. I can't believe these people can sleep at night. It has cost me $700 so far trying to cancel this not to mention the time, headache, and cost in mailing and phone calls. My advice is stay away and read the fine print on contracts in the future.

• Ap
    Apop18 May 18, 2012

BEWARE! Don't sign anything with this company. Especially EFT.. They took more then they were supposed to from my Bank account.. They signed me up for 2 training memberships ( i only wanted 1 ) the manager who signed me up told me that corporate needed him to do a new one because the first one was to messy... Im so stupid and aggreed Thats how I ended up with the 2 contracts... So they took 2 times the amount out of my bank account. The min i saw this on my bankstatement I was on the phone with Professional fitness so I could get my money back. Every person I have talked to have completley given me the run around.. And they are complete idiots.. Just try to get your money back, it won't happen. I was so excited about hiring a professional trainer. But this bull sh.. Is plain unexcepable. I am now going to try to get all my money back. (800.00) This will be a process.. But they are not going to take advantage of this Girl.

• Ru
    rubysun Jul 11, 2012

I've never been to this place, but I was swindled by Bally Total Fitness in Charlotte, NC about 14 years ago. Everyone on here that says tell your bank to stop payment DO IT! If you tell your bank to not allow automatic drafting from a company, they will see to it that it will stop. In fact, anyone you know who wants to get out of that place, tell them to go to their bank immediately and do a stop payment before they can even begin to take anything out. Good luck to everyone!!! I was never able to resolve anything with Bally, so it was on my credit for years. Thank goodness it's been well over 7 years, so it's dropped off. I hope everyone finds a way to stick it to this gym. Too many gums these days are conning people like this.

• Pr
    Professional Fitness RIPOFF Sep 29, 2012

Complete ripoff. They tell you it is a six month contract and that is all you will be charged. BUT the small print says it converts to a month-to-month at the contract end. Then you must notify them via certified mail and no other way with a 30-day notice. Funny a court of law accepts a fascimile signature but not a gym. I stopped working out 2 months early due to an injury and would have sent the notice to cancel then so I would only be paying for the six month contract I agreed to. BEWARE! The just give you the run around and some are even rude. It's time for a Class-Action Lawsuit to stop their unethical billing practices

• Ms
    M Shipley Oct 11, 2012

My wife and I signed up and had the service for a year. Time came to move, we cancelled our membership a month early, and everything was fine. Our fitness trainer warned us to cancel our card. Trusting our trainer, we did so. Just as our trainer warned, the company denied ever receiving our written letter, phone calls, and told us that the only way to prove that we cancelled was to send the original stub to the certified letter. This would leave us without any evidence. In the idea of reporting them to the BBB, we found that their rating could not be any worse. We will have to wait until they attempt to put this on our credit before getting it negated there. In all, even their employees know that this company is not legit. The trainers are top notch, but do not sign up if you wish to ever cancel.

• It
    Italicmoon Nov 20, 2012

I beg you please do not join this company! My friend and I joined a gym wanting to get in shape and to go that extra mile we signed up for personal training. Here's the deal, 3 nights a week and 4 nights on the fourth week for $325. We wanted 4 nights every week and were told this is how the contract had to be written but that the manager would train us for the fourth night, stupidly we believed him. My friend asked if there was a cancelation fee, we were told no there is not you just have to send a letter to head quarters. We were then given this big speech on how we are just starting and should not be even thinking about quitting. We trained for two months, never getting those promised nights even after reminding the manager of them. Also we had MANY people from the gym tell us that they were training us wrong. (These same people were showing results in that time frame and we were not might I add.) So we told the manager we wanted to quit. He turned around and offered the same contract for $150. We declined and called head quarters. *quick note when you sign up you pay for the first month and a deposit month, so when your contract does end you get an extra month is how they pitch it*. Head quarters told us they would be keeping the deposit month, are charging my friends card for the next month and also a $500 cancelation fee. We said wait there is no fee this is what YOUR manager told us and that we don't want another month. They said to bad there is a fee and you are going to be charged! Just to add salt to the wound, on my last weigh in. My trainer faked my measurements! My right thigh was 24 inches, on the paper from last month it was 23, he then wrapped it around my leg pulling it tight but only making it 23.5, he then wrote 23 down and said see look it stayed the same!! Now just to be clear we never wanted any money back from this company we just wanted to be done, we still go to the same gym and wanted to stay on good terms with the trainers. I even would have happly suggested people to give them a try, however now I am telling everyone to run the other way!!

• Da
    David Cowper May 14, 2014

I used to go pro fitness in England Lowestoft, Suffolk 235 Whapload Road because of very childish five members and two rude dist gusting gym instructors who are protecting the five childish bullies and are no better than a five year old child, you see they want me to bite but I will not because I will not sink to there level denying what ever happened because they know it is true and trying to pass the blame, it will not work because it will certainly come back around and kick them back twice as hard.How ever the next time it happens to a gym member they might not be so lucky next time to me there reputation is ruined because it only takes one person so be warned if you go to this pro fitness gym in Lowestoft 235 Whapload Road watch your back for arrogant members you have been warned or better still keep away!