Poetry America / League of American PoetsPublishing scam?

My message reads like all the others. I submitted my daughters poem, received a letter from Maggie Whitford suggesting her poem would make a 'nice addition' to the special edition of their anthology series entitled: 'Inspirations - A collection of short works' that was currently being published. I could also purchase the book in which the poem would be displayed. On 7/6/07 I sent a check for $86.45 (cashed 7/19/07) for 6 books along with the poem proof. It is now the end of Jan '08 and I have rec'd nothing. I have emailed 3 times, phoned 4 times (3 times the voicemail box was full and the 4th time the number was disconnected), and faxed. Nothing! That is when I found this complaint site and realized that this has happened to others. Sounds like one person did eventually get her book so I'm not sure what to think. I guess the next step it to contact the BBB. Buyer beware!

Janet M. Cason Jun 22, 2011

Happy Go Lucky:
    What number did you call. I am still interested in getting a copy of the book and my plague. Email me at: [email protected]

• Ha
    Happy Go Lucky Apr 22, 2009

I got my poem published in the book and ordered two copies back in 2007. I had to keep calling and calling them to see when it would arrive. Sometimes I would get a busy signal then one time I actually got through to someone. He said that it would be shipped soon but overall, it took close to a year before I got it, which is ridiculous to say the least. It sure didn't take them that long to cash my check!

Janet M. Cason Mar 21, 2009

Janet M. Cason
    I too sent in a poem and money for a copy of the book and a plauque for my poem and I never heard from them again. This was back in 2005.

• Un
    unknown Aug 14, 2008

I don't think it is a scam because I got a book too. It took a very long time but I did eventually get it. I was the one who wrote the poem and my grandmother paid for it. We called and they said that were going to ship it next week but we didn't get it .we noticed that they cashed our check and eventually after a looonngg time we did get it.

• Sy
    Sylvia Craig Aug 05, 2008

Well as you all can see I have also been scammed by this company. I sent in my check about 5 months ago and have yet to recieve anything. I have been waiting and waiting for my book. I just want my books just like the rest of you. I had no idea about these complaints until now, had I known I would't have went through with this. I can find no available phone number for this company. Please if anybody has found any info. please e-mail and let me know.

• Jp
    JP Jun 08, 2008

The EXACT SAME THING happened to us! We had no idea at the time!!! Thankfully, I now know that poetry is submitted in magazines, and that they pay YOU (either in $$$ or contributor's copies) and NOT the other way around. Now I want to know: why aren't these people shut down? And they are very low: to cheat on an art as old as language itself!! These people have no shame!

• Br
    brent lecuyer May 27, 2008

its not a scam. i sent mine in, and when i got the letter. we paied for a book. it took a long time, but i did get the book. it took almost 6 months. but i did get it. and it was worth the wait. so dont be descouraged, it may take a while, but you will get your book(s).

• Mi
    Mindy Vawter Apr 01, 2008

I too feel scammed.I paid for 3 cases I have 6books. My daughter was so proud and now she feels lack. How could a company prey so loudly on young writers minds. Shame on you Maggie Whitford if you are real and shame on your finacial backers.

• He
    Heather Vaughan Feb 29, 2008

I was supposed to get a poem published in this book and i honestly dont know what to say about hearing all of this! If you all hear any news please email me! I would like to eventually get a copy of the book! Thanks!

• De
    Debbie Meadows Feb 19, 2008

I too was scammed by the same people. My teenage son recieved notice that he had won and was being published in the anthology book, I did connect by phone in early January and was told they were being printed and would ship in the next week. However still nothing and it is mid february and still no books. Worst of all this has really discouraged my son and his faith in his writing and in humanity. We trusted this company that seemed very legit. Sorry you all experienced the same thing, may be if we all contact the BBB these crooks will not be crushing the dreams of our young ones.

• Sh
    Sherry Feb 12, 2008

I too submitted a poem, recieved a letter from Magie Whitford telling me it would make a nice addition in their anthology,stupid me fell for this. I ordered 5 books at the cost of $84.95 plus $10.50 for shipping to which Iwas told my poem would be displayed so they could be passed on to my family, I never received them,this was in 18/09/2007. I have called and the number has been disconected. I cannot believe that I was that stupid they cashed my check and I got the shaft.